Driving from Ontario to Galveston

moopetguy

Not sure of the time of year you are cruising; I may have missed it in the various posts. However, I would recommend the trip. We make regular trips from the DFW area of Texas to Georgetown (near Toronto) and also to Ottawa. Due to lots of construction with road closures in the DFW area (both I-35E and I-35W), I would recommend a "dive" south as far as New Orleans and then west on I-10 to finish the trip to Galveston (as one alternative).

By the way, there is construction all over the US highways, and Interstates. Even some of the back roads! We have coined a new phrase - one cannot escape death, taxes, and construction!

Also - you are not alone in tracking vehicle expenses. We trace car, van, and truck expenses - gas, tires, maintenance, etc. We know what our land traveling costs us...

I'm looking into some sort of cruise vacation this fall season. Vacation scheduling is pretty flexible with my employer, which is nice (I can't imagine working at a place that requires everyone to submit their vacation requests in January for the entire year - I know some jobs/workplaces are like this!).

Thanks for your insights. I think you are right about construction being inescapable regardless of the route taken. In Ontario, we like to joke (and commiserate) about there being only two seasons: winter, and construction. :D

Happy to hear there are fellow crazy people like me who meticulously track vehicle (and probably other) expenses :)

I see that there's an active thread about people NOT wanting to ever go through Galveston:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2284974

Apparently it's often a disaster for embarkation/debarkation...

Too bad it doesn't have Global Entry. But apparently throwing some money at the porters will help get through the CBP line more quickly.

I see that there's an active thread about people NOT wanting to ever go through Galveston:

Too bad it doesn't have Global Entry. But apparently throwing some money at the porters will help get through the CBP line more quickly.

Many years ago we had a rather disastrous departure in Galveston. The last two years we have had no problem getting on or off the ship. We drop luggage by the ship, drive to and park in the port parking lots, take their mini-busses back and forth to and from the ship's location. It was all well orchestrated.

CBP has not been a problem either with our last two trips.

Agree - would be nicer if we had Global Entry there, maybe some day.

We have another trip out of Galveston scheduled for January 2017.

Over the years we have obtained a number of AAA Triptiks (your CAA) for various routes north. We use them pretty much over and over if we choose a route we have used before. We have also tried a number of software programs to produce travel routes.

Additionally, I update each route with information from a book called "Next Exit" that lists gas stations, restaurants, motel/hotels, businesses, etc. found at or near each US Interstate intersection. We document our favorites on these maps, so no matter what time of day or night we are on the move, we can satisfy our needs."

It has become a valuable tool in trip planning details.

Over the years we have obtained a number of AAA Triptiks (your CAA) for various routes north. We use them pretty much over and over if we choose a route we have used before. We have also tried a number of software programs to produce travel routes.

Additionally, I update each route with information from a book called "Next Exit" that lists gas stations, restaurants, motel/hotels, businesses, etc. found at or near each US Interstate intersection. We document our favorites on these maps, so no matter what time of day or night we are on the move, we can satisfy our needs."

It has become a valuable tool in trip planning details.

Thanks. I have picked up TripTik map books for all my driving trips through the U.S. They include the latest road construction details which is nice to know in advance. But, they're not very helpful if you happen to miss a turn and need to get back onto your route...

I also have a GPS and typically program not only the final destination, but a few waypoints along the way (e.g. planned rest stops). Finally I pick up paper maps from CAA for the states I'll be driving through as a backup in case the GPS dies mid-trip. (I also have my smart phone but keep usage to a minimum due to roaming package costs.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2284974

Apparently it's often a disaster for embarkation/debarkation...

Everything in Galveston has already improved

since Liberty has arrived.

Improvements have come with temporary changes

made by RCCL, Immigrations and Port.

And with new Terminal # 2 Galveston almost completed,

and with permanent improvements,

it will even be better!!!!!!

This current chatter is relative to the past.

Your information is only as good as what you are reading about the past.

Galveston has had lots of problems in the past.

We personally have experienced them at times.

But our personal positive experiences

have always

out weighed the bad ones.

I even led led a charge with RCCL, IMMIGRATION and PORT for changes and improvements.

Since Liberty arrival,

these changes have happened as a whole.

There have been a lot of good recent reviews, including from our own present experiences, and comments from our cruising friends about their present and recent embarkations and disembarkations..

GALVESTON PORT IS IMPROVING EVERY DAY!!!

Changes are happening!

Even a third terminal is in the works!

BE POSITIVE FOLKS!

Every time you get up upset at something,

ask yourself,

if you were to die tomorrow,

was it it worth wasting your time

being angry?

Expect problems when you travel!

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It should mean you have decided to look beyond the imperfections

of the attitudes and expectations.

Toes in the water,

Ass in the sand,

Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand,

Life is Good Today!!!

Zac Brown Band!!

ENJOY THE CRUISE

We did the three day came through Detroit Michigan, Ohio way down through Indiana Arkansas and Texas the drive was fine but definitely want to do three days to keep everyone happy and comfortable. Just heading back a different way up through Louisiana and I'll report back when we get to Canada :)

We did the three day came through Detroit Michigan, Ohio way down through Indiana Arkansas and Texas the drive was fine but definitely want to do three days to keep everyone happy and comfortable. Just heading back a different way up through Louisiana and I'll report back when we get to Canada :)

Wishes for a safe trip and good weather! Will be waiting for your return trip route and comments .

Back home was great we did it slowly as I wanted to stop in Nashville. Either way you go there's plenty to see. I'd say maybe more through Niagara Falls then Detroit perhaps but everywhere we went the people were so nice. The best rest stop washrooms I found were in Mississippi truthfully beautiful clean washrooms

Not sure of the time of year you are cruising; I may have missed it in the various posts. However, I would recommend the trip. We make regular trips from the DFW area of Texas to Georgetown (near Toronto) and also to Ottawa. Due to lots of construction with road closures in the DFW area (both I-35E and I-35W), I would recommend a "dive" south as far as New Orleans and then west on I-10 to finish the trip to Galveston (as one alternative).

By the way, there is construction all over the US highways, and Interstates. Even some of the back roads! We have coined a new phrase - one cannot escape death, taxes, and construction!

Also - you are not alone in tracking vehicle expenses. We trace car, van, and truck expenses - gas, tires, maintenance, etc. We know what our land traveling costs us...

Unless you are actually wanting to visit Louisiana there is NO reason to head all the way south to LA then head west to Galveston you are adding lots of extra miles. Plus I10 traffic can be brutal. (I drive the Houston/Memphis/NOLA triangle quite often)

Now that I have a Liberty sailing booked...the drive is likely going to happen (barring a ridiculously good deal on airfare).

I'm planning to cross the border at the Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) and take the first route suggested by Google Maps (driving through Indianapolis, Memphis, Little Rock, and Houston). The driving time will be about 24 hours in total (not including stops).

Thinking about stopping in Memphis on the first night...maybe? The idea is to endure a longer drive the first day when I'm fresher and have a shorter drive on the second day. But is there a better place to stop a bit earlier without stopping in the "middle of nowhere" (relatively speaking)?

On the way home...I'm not sure where to stop after the first day of driving. The second day, I plan to arrive home in the evening.

Basically in either driving direction, I'm wondering if there is a suggested area to stop overnight between Indianapolis and Memphis along I-70, I-57, or I-55.

Thanks!

We actually stayed outside Louisville the first night then we stayed about a hour outside Little Rock near Friendly

Is the route through Cincinnati, Louisville, and Nashville to get to Memphis better than the one I mentioned? I thought it might be better traffic-wise to avoid more major cities (the route I mentioned is shorter in distance, but it's inconsequential).

The last day was short and sweet and we overnighted at seabrook best western sbd used the park and cruise option. I recommend booking that early though they ok up fast

That is one of the hotels I've looked up, and their park+cruise rate is $179 if I remember correctly (I think exclusive of tax). Though I am wondering if it might be better to have a longer drive on the morning of embarkation and then park at EZ Cruise or Lighthouse. It would make the two main driving days a bit more tolerable plus I could probably find a cheaper hotel rate ($90-$100, inclusive of tax) plus the parking at $60, and save a bit of money that way.

We kinda screwed up on the way down and strayed from our planned route that's why we ended up in Kentucky first night. On the way back due to late-ish disembarkation we didn't get very far and stayed in Byram Mississippi the first night. Second day we stayed just over the border into Kentucky as we stopped in Nashville. And we stayed a third night by Cleveland. Leaving a short drive home back in Ontario

Our intent on the way down was Michigan Ohio Indiana Missouri Arkansas Texas but somehow the GPS sent us towards Kentucky and by the time we realized it we were t far so we went with it. Either way the time was about the same and it's a nice drive. I'd do it again for sure

Unless you are actually wanting to visit Louisiana there is NO reason to head all the way south to LA then head west to Galveston you are adding lots of extra miles. Plus I10 traffic can be brutal. (I drive the Houston/Memphis/NOLA triangle quite often)

My point was simply to recommend staying out of the DFW area due to major construction, road closures, etc., and to recommend one alternative; there are several we have traveled. I can agree with you - when going SE from here (Texas), we stay off I-10 until Moss Point in Mississippi.

I am driving down next week from Memphis to Houston (thanks TruckerDave for your input on directions)! My mind is jumbled from reading so many different threads on hotels/toll roads/etc and hope that someone can answer a few questions.

1. Are there any areas to avoid staying in? Being from Memphis, I know some areas here are not the best.

2. Will all the toll roads accept money? I read somewhere on the boardsthat you needed a toll pass on one of the roads, that you could not pay and the fine was tremendous. Is that correct?

Thanks to anyone who can give advice!

I am driving down next week from Memphis to Houston (thanks TruckerDave for your input on directions)! My mind is jumbled from reading so many different threads on hotels/toll roads/etc and hope that someone can answer a few questions.

1. Are there any areas to avoid staying in? Being from Memphis, I know some areas here are not the best.

2. Will all the toll roads accept money? I read somewhere on the boardsthat you needed a toll pass on one of the roads, that you could not pay and the fine was tremendous. Is that correct?

Thanks to anyone who can give advice!

There is no need to take toll roads in Houston. (And, yes, there are ones where you have to have an EZ Tag and there aren't booths that take money.) Assume you'll be coming into town on 59. Take 59 through the downtown area until it hooks up with 45 South and take than all the way onto the Island. Easy peasy. Don't try to complicate things!

Are you planning on staying somewhere in Houston or on the Island? That will determine where to stay.

There is no need to take toll roads in Houston. (And, yes, there are ones where you have to have an EZ Tag and there aren't booths that take money.) Assume you'll be coming into town on 59. Take 59 through the downtown area until it hooks up with 45 South and take than all the way onto the Island. Easy peasy. Don't try to complicate things!

Are you planning on staying somewhere in Houston or on the Island? That will determine where to stay.

Thank you so much for this information! I am going out of the Bayport Cruise Terminal so will these directions work for that cruise port?

I am going out of the Bayport Cruise Terminal so will these directions work for that cruise port?

In that case, you wouldn't take I-45. You'd probably take US-59/I-69 to TX-8; see Google Maps for route details from that point on to Bayport.