Ship Time vs Island Time

pete_coach

We are on a cruise with stops in St Thomas and St Maarten. We booked private excursions and on St Thomas it says pick up is Ship time and while St Maarten says Island time.

Ship time is easy to figure out (:)) but Island time would be what? Pick up is 10 AM island time...is that 09:00 or 11:00 or actually just 10?

We are on a cruise with stops in St Thomas and St Maarten. We booked private excursions and on St Thomas it says pick up is Ship time and while St Maarten says Island time.

Ship time is easy to figure out (:)) but Island time would be what? Pick up is 10 AM island time...is that 09:00 or 11:00 or actually just 10?

When is your cruise...?

Currently the ships time is the same as Miami and the islands mentioned are 1 hour ahead of Miami... On the 13th March Miami will go 1 hour forward... Where as the islands looks like they stay on the same time zone so if that is indeed the case the ship & island times should be the same... 🤔

The site I checked says both the islands mentioned don't observe the time changes!

We had a similar question as we go to the caymans on the 15th march?

When is your cruise...?

Currently the ships time is the same as Miami

Often, the ship moves its clock to island time; it is up to the Captain. On all of my Celebrity cruises, they have done that, except when we were in Newfoundland for a day and their clocks were off by half an hour.

Thus the reason to ask the tour operator. St. Maarten is an hour off during the summer from several other places. Will the ship change time to match the island time - a definite

Edited by az_tchr

I was told by celebrity that the ship will stay on Florida time throughout the cruise in the Caribbean... I've also had a post from a friend that just got off the reflection last weekend and he confirmed this... [emoji4]

The cruise is on Saturday.

So, both St Thomas and St Maarten are 1 hour ahead of Miami (and Puerto Rico?).

The clocks on the ship will be whatever time zone we are in?

Yes [emoji4]

I was told by celebrity that the ship will stay on Florida time throughout the cruise in the Caribbean... I've also had a post from a friend that just got off the reflection last weekend and he confirmed this... [emoji4]

The clocks on the ship will be whatever time zone we are in?

Yes [emoji4]

Does not appear to be consistent.

If the ship stays on Florida time (EST) then ship's time will be one hour behind St Thomas/St Maarten time (AST).

Does not appear to be consistent.

If the ship stays on Florida time (EST) then ship's time will be one hour behind St Thomas/St Maarten time (AST).

I was replying to the part regarding the first post I made... I didn't notice the last part regarding the ships clock changing to the port time... Should really read the posts fully [emoji23]

Edited by MR_T

I believe for your cruise & up to the 13th march the ship time will be 1 hour behind the islands time...

From what I understand as mentioned the ship will stay on Florida time... So if the ships clock says 10am the local port time would be 11am... Until March 13! When I believe it will be the same... [emoji848]

Thanks for all the comments but still, the question is when at St Maarten, "pick up is 10 AM island time...is that 09:00 or 11:00 or actually just 10? "

Presuming a cruise in this weekend, if the ship is on FL time, then 10am St Maarten local time would be 9am ship time. In other words, ship time will be one hour behind St Maarten local time.

I have necr been on a cruise where they stick to MIA time. The ship time moves with where you are.

Not true in the least; it is at the discretion of the Captain whether or not to adjust ship time to match local time when there is a discrepancy. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

From time to time the question of distribution of gratuities comes up so I did some research on previous threads and found the following:

Gratuity of 12.50 per day

Waiters : 3.65

Asst Waiters 2.10

Dining Rm Management 1.00

Stateroom 3.50 extra 50 cents for concierge and Aqua

Other service personnel 1.25

Total 12.50

We were on the Century in December 2014 and were informed by our MDR waiters that their sole income is determined by the amount of gratuities paid. The more tables they look after the more gratuities get paid. One can take that comment at face value or whatever.

It will be interesting now that rumours are abound that select diners don't have to prepay gratuities how many customers will remove gratuities in toto

Edited by Beanb41

From time to time the question of distribution of gratuities comes up so I did some research on previous threads and found the following:

Asst Waiters 2.10

Total 12.50

We were on the Century in December 2014 and were informed by our MDR waiters that their sole income is determined by the amount of gratuities paid. The more tables they look after the more gratuities get paid. One can take that comment at face value or whatever.

It will be interesting now that rumours are abound that select diners don't have to prepay gratuities how many customers will remove gratuities in toto

Good information but I think you may have posted it in the wrong thread :)

Asst Waiters 2.10

Total 12.50

Not only wrong thread but wrong information. Current rates are:

• $12.95 per person, per day in standard staterooms

• $13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $16.45 per person, per day in Suite Class

Not only wrong thread but wrong information. Current rates are:

• $12.95 per person, per day in standard staterooms

• $13.45 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $16.45 per person, per day in Suite Class

Jeez we are picky aren't we. My figures are out by 45 cents per day. The increases I am told have gone to stateroom staff Suites pay more for their "butler".

Are we happy now?

Not true in the least; it is at the discretion of the Captain whether or not to adjust ship time to match local time when there is a discrepancy. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

I repeat I have never been on a cruise that has not changed time over the cruise. That includes many from Florida although those have always been in the winter, and even one from Sfo to Mia where we changed time numerous times moving from Gmt -8 t -4 and then back to -5. How can you say that my experience, which is obviously different from yours, is not true? I clearly said that we had never had a cruise, not that no one had ever had a cruise where the ship time stayed the same. All I was giving was my experience.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank