first timer questions

fred 15

Welcome to CC and to HAL. The S class ships are lovely. I don't have current info on the Maasdam but don't want you to feel ignored. The internet charge will depend on the length of your cruise. Also, depending on where you are cruising, the service might be slower than you expect. Best advice on that is to use your laptop or tablet to do all composing of messages and use the ship's internet to upload.

All the ships have happy hours so check the bar schedules.

Port lectures can be heard in person in the lounge or on your cabin TV. Longer cruises usually have guest lecturers on various topics.

If you give us a bit more information about your specific cruise you will probably get more helpful answers. Also, check out the roll call section for your ship and cruise date. Your fellow pax will be able to share hints.

Happy Hour is usually from 4 - 5 in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest. Buy 1 drink and get the second drink for $1. Must be the same type of drink. Later in the evening there will be another bar/lounge offering Happy Hour. Check your daily "On Location" program for times and places in case there are changes. There will not be a Happy Hour on Embarkation day.

Depending on your itinerary, there may be an enrichment lecturer. Longer, exotic cruises have them.

I haven't heard of the Maasdam getting the new Internet yet.

• 6 months later...

On some ships/itineraries you can buy unlimited internet, but more usually it will be packages.

A month ago on the Rotterdam it was 100 dollars for 250 minutes , 250 dollars for 1000 minutes. You can also pay by the minute, but that is even more expensive.

We heard on our last cruise that under 14 day cruises no longer have separate enrichment speakers -- other than the port and shore excursions talks.

Sometimes they might add an extra talk like one of the shorex staff gave a special talk about the Russian perspective and how it differs from the western view. This shorex staffer had lived in both worlds, so this was more of a serendipitous offering than a scheduled enrichment talk - which was in fact excellent.

Depending on the cruise director, there may or may not be special extra "interview" programs with ship officers or onboard entertainers for their unique and interesting perspective and an opportunity for Q&A.

If there are few port days, obviously there will be no time for independent enrichment programs. However on the longer cruises, particularly the transatlantic and the speciality cruises like Tale of the South Pacific as others have pointed out there can be up to 3 or 4 different lecture series and we have found them to be very good to exceptional. We love cruises where these are offered.

However, be alert to the fact a "collectors cruise" which is made up of several different shorter segments, may not have separate enrichment speakers even though they are collectively longer than 14 days. Since they are made up of two shorter segments, then they will not carry extra speakers for those who have signed up for the longer package.

Bottomline: it depends whether there will be separate enrichment speakers, informal enrichment speakers or zero enrichment speakers. But your best bet are the longer packages with more at sea days.

The other option are the independent Road Scholar tour packages which one finds often using HAL ships - they bring along their own enrichment lecturers and pack in the class time somewhere in the daily schedules using one of the smaller function rooms. Obviously, they will be more costly than just the straight HAL price but that is one way to ensure you get the education experience along with the travel experience. Not sure if their classes are topical to their destinations or general interest topics coincidental to the destinations. Most likely both.

Edited by OlsSalt

We heard on our last cruise that under 14 day cruises no longer have separate enrichment speakers -- other than the port and shore excursions talks.

Sometimes they might add an extra talk like one of the shorex staff gave a special talk about the Russian perspective and how it differs from the western view. This shorex staffer had lived in both worlds, so this was more of a serendipitous offering than a scheduled enrichment talk - which was in fact excellent.

Depending on the cruise director, there may or may not be special extra "interview" programs with ship officers or onboard entertainers for their unique and interesting perspective and an opportunity for Q&A.

If there are few port days, obviously there will be no time for independent enrichment programs. However on the longer cruises, particularly the transatlantic and the speciality cruises like Tale of the South Pacific as others have pointed out there can be up to 3 or 4 different lecture series and we have found them to be very good to exceptional. We love cruises where these are offered.

However, be alert to the fact a "collectors cruise" which is made up of several different shorter segments, may not have separate enrichment speakers even though they are collectively longer than 14 days. Since they are made up of two shorter segments, then they will not carry extra speakers for those who have signed up for the longer package.

Bottomline: it depends whether there will be separate enrichment speakers, informal enrichment speakers or zero enrichment speakers. But your best bet are the longer packages with more at sea days.

The other option are the independent Road Scholar tour packages which one finds often using HAL ships - they bring along their own enrichment lecturers and pack in the class time somewhere in the daily schedules using one of the smaller function rooms. Obviously, they will be more costly than just the straight HAL price but that is one way to ensure you get the education experience along with the travel experience. Not sure if their classes are topical to their destinations or general interest topics coincidental to the destinations. Most likely both.

We have been on several Collectors cruises now and there are always good lecturers - mind you, those were on TA's and Europe or the South Pacific (not the Caribbean).

We have been on several Collectors cruises now and there are always good lecturers - mind you, those were on TA's and Europe or the South Pacific (not the Caribbean).

We really like the enrichment lectures which it seemed HAL used to offer on every cruise (maybe not?). But now they appear to have been downgraded in lieu of other activities - like Dancing with the Stars. Could be we just took longer cruises so they were already offered, but not across the fleet standard practice. (?)

However, I wonder if offering a cruise-and-learn lecture option is not a good HAL demographic selling point. Plus advertising this lecture offering up front, as part of any one particular cruise package- collectors or not.

Not an area I know much about. But that is one reason we like Voyages of Discovery as our "other cruise line". They let you know who the enrichment speakers will be right on their website. In fact that is the primary purpose of this alternate cruise line - their very excellent speaker series because they offer little else for on board entertainment. (They don't need to as these lectures are well attended and up to 3 a day, like HAL will also do.)

Edited by OlsSalt

Hello, this will be my first time on Holland America, we are sailing on Oosterdam 2 Dec 17 for Hawaii. Have sailed on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Carnival does not begin to compare to Royal Caribbean. I have a few question.

1.What makes Holland America better than Royal Caribbean?

2.Are suit and tie required for formal nights?

3.Does anyone have Today on Location (Daily update of activities onboard? I would like to see, what the ship feels like and has to do.

that is about all.

Thank you,

John

I sure hope there will be lecturers for our 2 week TA in october......we really enjoy them.

Crystal would have.several from military....government.....universities and the such! Had quite an education while on board!

HAL TA cruises offer some of their best enrichment speakers - both topical and general topics. Our own experience with Crystal lectures were both shallow and generic. Glad to see they improved.

I have read that Kdam has had lecturers but only if they are trying to sell you their goods.....thats crappy��

I sure hope I do not reget going with HAL��

Not sure what you mean here. HAL has separated the port lectures with DIY tips from the shore excursions presentations. However, depending on time constraints if this is a very port intensive itinerary with little onboard free time they may offer a combo presentation. We personally have found HAL very low-key about selling anything. I am sorry you are facing your upcoming cruise with a sense of dread. I think this might be exaggerated or misplaced. Hope other can help you get past this.

Sure the shore excursion presentation "sells" what they offer, but they also provide overviews of upcoming destinations and you know this upfront if you want to attend them. Plus they do not directly sell them - simply present the types of experiences they will be offering and you can choose to sign up or not.

Our own experience with HAL shore excursions has been uniformly positive. And they avoid the forced "shopping" experiences other tour options might have, unless they disclose "shopping opportunities" up front. Though occasionally there is an errant guide, but we have also seen fellow passengers override any attempts to get us to their "uncle's shop for special deals".

Edited by OlsSalt

Not sure what you mean here. HAL has separated the port lectures with DIY tips from the shore excursions presentations. However, depending on time constraints if this is a very port intensive itinerary with little onboard free time they may offer a combo presentation. We personally have found HAL very low-key about selling anything. I am sorry you are facing your upcoming cruise with a sense of dread. I think this might be exaggerated or misplaced. Hope other can help you get past this.

Sure the shore excursion presentation "sells" what they offer, but they also provide overviews of upcoming destinations and you know this upfront if you want to attend them. Plus they do not directly sell them - simply present the types of experiences they will be offering and you can choose to sign up or not.

Our own experience with HAL shore excursions has been uniformly positive. And they avoid the forced "shopping" experiences other tour options might have, unless they disclose "shopping opportunities" up front. Though occasionally there is an errant guide, but we have also seen fellow passengers override any attempts to get us to their "uncle's shop for special deals".

We booked with a large outside excursion company that follows the cruise ships regarding excursions.......wonderful reviews in doing this and quite a savings!

Despise anyone who tries to sell me anything.....sets my teeth on edge to the point of utter rudeness on my part.

"If I want something...I will come to you...not the other waynaround"

HAL TA cruises offer some of their best enrichment speakers - both topical and general topics. Our own experience with Crystal lectures were both shallow and generic. Glad to see they improved.

Yeah:D!!! I must stop reading reviews cause they mess with my anticipation:(

We booked with a large outside excursion company that follows the cruise ships regarding excursions.......wonderful reviews in doing this and quite a savings!

Despise anyone who tries to sell me anything.....sets my teeth on edge to the point of utter rudeness on my part.

"If I want something...I will come to you...not the other waynaround"

So then don't go to the listed shore excursion presentations.However, do not pass up the port lecture presentation because they are intended to the DIY.

You will have to deal with the photographers -who respond immediately with a polite smile and "no" on Gala dinner night and disembarkations.

Avoid what looks like a forced photo op immediately when you embark - just side step it. Plus they only take your photo, don't ask you to buy anything.

There will be a roaming waiter trying to interest you in a fee-wine tasting usually the first embarkation lunch at the Lido. The spa "girls" will be lined up on embarkation handing out brochures and suggesting you make appointments. Good advice to book early if you want anything.

And yes, like many salons they can try to sell you something though I never had them ever do this. They will also be "selling" thermo-spa packages on embarkation when rumor has it they offer the best prices.

The sales people in the ship shopping area can act little aggressive when welcoming you as you pass by. Route your self across the ship to avoid these shopping areas by choosing a different deck.

You will get multiple printouts in your cabin mail box offering "specials" for various fee based options or special sales. Just drop them in the recycle part of your waste basket or use to them to wrap any fragile items you might pick up along the way.

So once you get past the gauntlet on embarkation -never aggressive, always polite there is little else you will need to avoid, other than those special flyers. Unless you really, really, really want a souvenir drink glass at a sail away party that glows in the dark. But you will have to go to them if this is what you really, really want. (:roll eyes:Joke - assuming you will not.)

If you do your homework ahead of time, you will know what is included and what is extra fee. We have never felt any hard sell about anything on a HAL ship.

So then don't go to the listed shore excursion presentations.However, do not pass up the port lecture presentation because they are intended to the DIY.

You will have to deal with the photographers -who respond immediately with a polite smile and "no" on Gala dinner night and disembarkations.

Avoid what looks like a forced photo op immediately when you embark - just side step it. Plus they only take your photo, don't ask you to buy anything.

There will be a roaming waiter trying to interest you in a fee-wine tasting usually the first embarkation lunch at the Lido. The spa "girls" will be lined up on embarkation handing out brochures and suggesting you make appointments. Good advice to book early if you want anything.

And yes, like many salons they can try to sell you something though I never had them ever do this. They will also be "selling" thermo-spa packages on embarkation when rumor has it they offer the best prices.

The sales people in the ship shopping area can act little aggressive when welcoming you as you pass by. Route your self across the ship to avoid these shopping areas by choosing a different deck.

You will get multiple printouts in your cabin mail box offering "specials" for various fee based options or special sales. Just drop them in the recycle part of your waste basket or use to them to wrap any fragile items you might pick up along the way.

So once you get past the gauntlet on embarkation -never aggressive, always polite there is little else you will need to avoid, other than those special flyers. Unless you really, really, really want a souvenir drink glass at a sail away party that glows in the dark. But you will have to go to them if this is what you really, really want. (:roll eyes:Joke - assuming you will not.)

If you do your homework ahead of time, you will know what is included and what is extra fee. We have never felt any hard sell about anything on a HAL ship.

Thankyou so much for educating me on how to manage.w/o having a coronary!

Your experience is appreciated☺

I cannot even convey how much I hate salesman without keeping a civil tongue in my head!

THANKYOU!