Kids Programs?

cruisead

It wouldn't be wrong, if the people who brought that occasional child along could be depended upon to maintain a courteous atmosphere between that child and the rest of the passengers.

Sadly, we cannot count on sailing with that caliber of parent, therefore, with an investment often reaching into the tens of thousands of dollars at stake.....

Well, you get the picture ;)

Completely agree. And the reason is that parents who choose to bring kids on inappropriate cruise lines are much more interested in their own needs than those of their kids so they are less prone to look after them onboard.

It wouldn't be wrong, if the people who brought that occasional child along could be depended upon to maintain a courteous atmosphere between that child and the rest of the passengers.

Sadly, we cannot count on sailing with that caliber of parent, therefore, with an investment often reaching into the tens of thousands of dollars at stake.....

Completely agree. And the reason is that parents who choose to bring kids on inappropriate cruise lines are much more interested in their own needs than those of their kids so they are less prone to look after them onboard.

I agree with this part: parents shouldn't bring their kids on non-family-oriented cruises unless they ensure their kids behave properly. To think there's no such thing as polite, respectful children, as some here apparently do, is simply incorrect.

Having a few kids on a luxury cruise isn't necessarily the same thing as having a lot of kids on a cruise that caters to that demographic. Admittedly a guess on my part, but the chances (I hope very low in any event) are that one is much likelier to run into an obnoxious, rude adult on an Oceania cruise than a child with similar qualities.

Despite all this, I agree that if one is looking for a cruise with a children's program, Oceania might not be the best choice -- unless the details for a given O cruise contradict that.

As posted above, "rude" or "obnoxious" adults can easily be dealt with by ship officers. The same cannot be said of children (short of debarking the passengers with unruly children at the next port).

It is impossible to predict whether having even a handful of children on board will be disruptive or not. We were on a cruise (Christmas time) with about 20 children between the ages of 12-16 (approximately). The first four days were fine. Then they knew each other and formed a gang that disrupted every place they went. The Reception Desk had constant complaints. IMO, it was not the fault of the children as much as their parents and the fact that there was no where for the children to "hang out" without causing problems.

IMO, the only way to avoid children is not to sail during Christmas, summer or other school holidays. Personally, I would like to see at least one adults-only cruise for the summer for teachers and other professionals that love children - work with them almost every day and need a break. If Oceania can run specials for children, why not for these very special adults?

[quote name=gbp;49024893

Having a few kids on a luxury cruise isn't necessarily the same thing as having a lot of kids on a cruise that caters to that demographic. Admittedly a guess on my part' date=' but the chances (I hope very low in any event) are that one is much likelier to run into an obnoxious, rude adult on an Oceania cruise than a child with similar qualities.

[/quote]

I have not sailed a luxury line so i cannot compare

In my experience with Oceania I have seen more of the obnoxious rude entitled adults than unruly children

I do not book the Christmas Holiday cruise or the Alaska cruise with the children's program advertised for those specific cruise so maybe that is why I have not had the unruly child experience

We have sailed during the summer in Northern Europe/Norway/British Isles & barely a handful of children onboard

maybe we have just been lucky

Just my experience

Lyn

I know as a child I was perfect but my mother could not afford for us to travel ..we made it as far as Toronto Island ;)

Edited by LHT28

As posted previously (in response to LHT28's post regarding "obnoxious, rude entitled adults"), this is something that is easily handled by the crew. If anyone dares to correct a child, it could create chaos. I do feel that people that book summer or holiday cruises need to expect children - unruly, obnoxious, rude or otherwise.

Another reason to avoid summer cruises is the heat and crowds in the Med., and crowds in Alaska. I cannot understand anyone booking a Med. or Alaska cruise in mid-June - August (unless you are a teacher or want to be with children).

As posted above, "rude" or "obnoxious" adults can easily be dealt with by ship officers. The same cannot be said of children (short of debarking the passengers with unruly children at the next port).

Assuming a given cruise line has a code of conduct that places the responsibility of misbehaving children on their parents and has clear procedures in place to enforce said policy, and actually trains staff to enforce that policy, then I'd think debarking the parents and their kids at the next port is a final option to solve violations of the policy, not the first option.

Inappropriate behavior by anyone shouldn't be tolerated and should be reported to the appropriate personnel. If the problem continues, then the complaint should be escalated. Misbehavior that comprises the safety of passengers is vital to address. Violations of rules of conduct that don't involve safety, but interfere with enjoyment of a cruise are obviously important to address, too.

I remember many years ago -- Carnival still had one ship that was absolutely no smoking. This might have occurred in the early 2000s, possibly a year or two earlier.

Two teens were caught smoking in a stateroom. Both families were put off the ship at the next port.

Perhaps extreme, but they did it.

Mura

It is not the child but the parent. In many restaurants you can pick the parents whose child(dren) are from daycare or the like, they have no interaction and no idea what to say to their child or discipline them, if the politically correct would allow.

The same on cruise ships, "time and place" mean nothing to children today. Running when they don't have to, shouting when people want quiet. Watch what they do with a knife and fork, but not from too close.

As parents our children were taught to respect "time and place' and respect people around them, a forgotten art of today's modern parenting. And yes we are grouchy oldies!!!

It is not the child but the parent. In many restaurants you can pick the parents whose child(dren) are from daycare or the like, they have no interaction and no idea what to say to their child or discipline them, if the politically correct would allow.

The same on cruise ships, "time and place" mean nothing to children today. Running when they don't have to, shouting when people want quiet. Watch what they do with a knife and fork, but not from too close.

As parents our children were taught to respect "time and place' and respect people around them, a forgotten art of today's modern parenting. And yes we are grouchy oldies!!!

I started a thread on the Kids Program for Alaska as we are heading off on the Regatta during the height of kid's season (July). We did this cruise 3 years ago, and although there were perhaps only 2 dozen children on board, you totally noticed them. Running, Screaming, Pool Play, Game Room Takeovers, etc. I totally get it. I would have been worse at that age, which is why our parents did not take us on cruises. It was the ONLY downside to our experience, unfortunately.

Royal Caribbean and Disney are great cruise lines to do "family" vacations; Oceania with 684 passenger ships, is not. Especially when family vacations mean letting your kids run free, Lord of the Flies style, all day while you sip drinks, or do spa treatments or do whatever you do while not supervising your children.

we personally have never seen obstreperous kiddies on our cruises.

I love you for using "obstreperous." I just had to say it.

We've cruised O once, to French Polynesia in March. There was maybe 2 families with kids ages 6-16 (guessing) and no problems. They were very well behaved and looked like they were having a ball.

I'm also the mom to 4, ages 10-16 currently, so maybe my view point is different than someone who does not want to see or hear anyone under the age of 20.

We've cruised Disney twice, and honestly, the kids aren't generally out of control there either. I was pleasantly surprised at how NOT crazy it was onboard.

That said, I was also surprised at the mom who said she let her 10 yo stay out until 4:00am every night. :eek: Bad parenting is bad parenting no matter where you are, home or a cruise. I'd say the angst about kids on O or another comparable line is a combo of cruisers expecting children to be seen (motionless) and never heard, and those parents who probably let their kids run wild anywhere they go.

I love you for using "obstreperous." I just had to say it.

We've cruised O once, to French Polynesia in March. There was maybe 2 families with kids ages 6-16 (guessing) and no problems. They were very well behaved and looked like they were having a ball.

I'm also the mom to 4, ages 10-16 currently, so maybe my view point is different than someone who does not want to see or hear anyone under the age of 20.

We've cruised Disney twice, and honestly, the kids aren't generally out of control there either. I was pleasantly surprised at how NOT crazy it was onboard.

That said, I was also surprised at the mom who said she let her 10 yo stay out until 4:00am every night. :eek: Bad parenting is bad parenting no matter where you are, home or a cruise. I'd say the angst about kids on O or another comparable line is a combo of cruisers expecting children to be seen (motionless) and never heard, and those parents who probably let their kids run wild anywhere they go.

I understand where you are coming from but do not understand why parents want to take their children on a cruise line that is mostly adults - does not have areas dedicated to children where they can hang out or play - has only one small pool that has to be shared by everyone and has many passengers that prefer not to sail with children (again, not talking about special children cruises that Oceania offers).

Most cruise lines are child friendly -- very few have the adult vibe that many of us enjoy. IMO, some parents that take their children on premium plus or luxury cruise lines are looking out more for themselves than their children. I love my family but would not want them on an Oceania cruise with me as none of us would enjoy ourselves.

I understand, I would take my 3 daughters (13-16) with me if the itinerary were interesting to them. They are well mannered and able to keep themselves occupied. I'd rather pull out my toenails than bring my 10yo son with me. He needs programmed distraction. One of us might be dead by the end of the cruise!

I do think it's extreme to say no kids should be allowed, but I also hope parents can know which kids would do ok on a line like O and which need Disney.

For me, that's the crux of the matter. There are young children who are fine with touring museums in Europe or entertaining themselves on a ship, and there are those who are NOT.

You have to know your child.

Mura

For me, that's the crux of the matter. There are young children who are fine with touring museums in Europe or entertaining themselves on a ship, and there are those who are NOT.

You have to know your child.

Mura

+ 1

we were all children once & some have not grown up yet ;)

...who is on a ship that really doesn't want children on board. Why would you want to do that to them?

I so often read these questions from folks who want to share the experience THEY enjoy on Crystal or Seabourn or Azamara or Oceania with their grandchildren, & wonder why they haven't considered whether their grandchild would in any way enjoy such an experience....of course they wouldn't enjoy it at all.

I'm 64 & feel younger than springtime on Oceania. What do you think an 18 year old would think about being invited to spend a week, 10 days, two weeks - in what amounts to an over-55/70 community? It is an experience WE love, but not so much for grandchildren.

If you REALLY love the grandkids take 'em to Harry Potter World (I have a secret desire to do this & will kidnap your child as a cover...) or Disney (ditto!). No kids or grandkids here & I was kidding about taking yours on btw!

A light bulb just went off in my mind on this subject and I thought, what a brilliant idea ... except now I can't remember what it was!

But I'm thinking that it was a question for the parents or grandparents who are thinking of bringing young children on an Oceania cruise.

Should it be a surprise to them that a cruise line that has a majority of older passengers -- especially one that has smaller ships -- would NOT have programs for young children, and that children might well be unhappy on such a trip?

I have said before on a number of occasions that you do need to know your child, that there are children who WOULD appreciate such a trip. But I also remember the officer's early teenage son who was on board with us two years ago on Marina. This young man was impeccably behaved but he looked incredibly bored as he sat at the dinner table with his father's friends. No youngsters in sight. I'm sure he wanted time with his Dad ... but it might have been better to pair him up with teens of his own age ... assuming they were on board, and I don't think they were. He probably was happy to spend time with his father but I didn't have the impression that he was having a wonderful time on the cruise.

Just one example from my own experience.

Mura

...who is on a ship that really doesn't want children on board. Why would you want to do that to them?

I so often read these questions from folks who want to share the experience THEY enjoy on Crystal or Seabourn or Azamara or Oceania with their grandchildren, & wonder why they haven't considered whether their grandchild would in any way enjoy such an experience....of course they wouldn't enjoy it at all.

I'm 64 & feel younger than springtime on Oceania. What do you think an 18 year old would think about being invited to spend a week, 10 days, two weeks - in what amounts to an over-55/70 community? It is an experience WE love, but not so much for grandchildren.

If you REALLY love the grandkids take 'em to Harry Potter World (I have a secret desire to do this & will kidnap your child as a cover...) or Disney (ditto!). No kids or grandkids here & I was kidding about taking yours on btw!

Respectfully, again, it depends on the kids and the itinerary. Our 6-year-old went with us on a Regent Alaskan cruise. That had a children's program he enjoyed, but made limited use of, given the port-intensive itinerary.

When he was 11, we took him on a "tulip time" river cruise that visited the Netherlands and Belgium. He was the only child on the ship, but again, given the port-intensive itinerary, there was plenty to do off the ship. That same year, we were again sailed Regent on an Eastern Mediterranean cruise that included Turkey, Greece, and Israel. He spent some in the children's program, but didn't care for it all that much.

At times, I'm sure he was bored, but who isn't? The point was that he enjoyed the cruises and the ports we visited. It wasn't difficult to find things he wanted to do, activities my wife and I wanted to do, and figure out ways to blend the two.

I don't recall passengers reacting with hostility or disdain towards him; perhaps they kept their negative emotions to themselves. :)

He's 16 now, and he is looking forward to his first Oceania cruise and our first visit to the Baltics.

I wasn't ready for cruising until I was out of my 40's. I cannot imagine what we would have done on Oceania (or any ship) before then - definitely not enough activity for me and few people actually look forward to overeating on the ship (except for the few special items that are pricey to get elsewhere).

I cannot imagine why some young people or parents want to pay more money for a smaller ship with little to do when they can pay less - go on a large beautiful ship with tons of things to do and see. Taking children for a cultural experience abroad is a lot more fun that being stuck on a ship (JMHO)

I wasn't ready for cruising until I was out of my 40's. I cannot imagine what we would have done on Oceania (or any ship) before then - definitely not enough activity for me and few people actually look forward to overeating on the ship (except for the few special items that are pricey to get elsewhere).

I cannot imagine why some young people or parents want to pay more money for a smaller ship with little to do when they can pay less - go on a large beautiful ship with tons of things to do and see. Taking children for a cultural experience abroad is a lot more fun that being stuck on a ship (JMHO)

It sounds like you are equating a cruise with a number of sea days with one that spends almost all of its days at a port and where the majority of sailing time is at night. There's a big difference between the two!

It sounds like you are equating a cruise with a number of sea days with one that spends almost all of its days at a port and where the majority of sailing time is at night. There's a big difference between the two!

Actually I was thinking of when the ship leaves in the early evening on a port intensive cruise. This is when I noticed older children looking for a place to hang out and many times end up hanging out on stairs while toddlers and young children are acting up at dinner because their parents think that it okay to have 2 hour meals after a long day of sightseeing (and perhaps no nap). Another game often played by children is going up and down in the elevator (even though children on Oceania are not allowed in elevators alone, no one monitors this).

Agree that there is a big difference between port intensive and itineraries with a lot of sea days. I cannot imagine taking a child on a cruise that is not port intensive. In any case, I'm still trying to figure out why people are spending more money to sail on a small ship with few areas for children, shows that are boring for most children and a small pool where children really cannot jump and play without disrupting others. IMO, children deserve a better experience than this. After all, it is their vacation too!

in any case, I'm still trying to figure out why people are spending more money to sail on a small ship with few areas for children, shows that are boring for most children and a small pool where children really cannot jump and play without disrupting others. IMO, children deserve a better experience than this. After all, it is their vacation too!

I have a very introverted dd. Her dream vacation would to be left alone, anywhere, to read or play her Nintendo DS, coupled with some travel and good food. So in that case, why can't the parents be on a ship THEY enjoy, if the kid is happy (and not bothering anyone) on any ship. My kids love to travel. The appeal is not the kids clubs, but the ports and culture.

Just my 2 cents. All kids, and all parents, are not alike.

I have a very introverted dd. Her dream vacation would to be left alone, anywhere, to read or play her Nintendo DS, coupled with some travel and good food. So in that case, why can't the parents be on a ship THEY enjoy, if the kid is happy (and not bothering anyone) on any ship. My kids love to travel. The appeal is not the kids clubs, but the ports and culture.

Just my 2 cents. All kids, and all parents, are not alike.

Sounds a lot like my son! Also introverted, a reader, and a Nintendo fan. :)

Flying is great for spending time in one area. A cruise, where your accommodations travel with you, is a better way to experience multiple places with a minimum amount of hassle.

Seeing Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Munich, Helsinki, Copenhagen, on a 10-day cruise will be amazing. We are staying a couple of extra nights pre and post-cruise in Stockholm and Copenhagen, respectively.

Edited by gbp

Again, as long as you are sailing with your children during the summer or school break, most people do not have a problem when a few children are on board. It is when many of us avoid school holidays and pay a lot of money to have an adults-orientated vacation and then someone takes their kids out of school that I see a problem.

This summer we have to fly and fully expect to see tons of children at the airport, in the airplane and everywhere else. It is my choice to fly when school is out and, IMO, I have no right to expect children to be quiet, polite or civil. This is their vacation time and I respect it. It would be nice to see the respect be mutual!

We did a 3 week cruise a couple of years ago with only one child on the ship. He was about 7 and was really trying to behave. I noticed that no one would sit near them at dinner or when they were by the pool. The only people I saw that were nice to the family were crew members. The last week of the cruise, this sweet child could probably not take it anymore and went down a long hallway - running and screaming at the top of his lungs. I certainly do not blame the child but wonder what his parents were thinking!

In terms of shy or introverted teens, I would want my child to at least have the opportunity to spend some time with others of their age. Sitting and reading and/or playing games all the time does not sound particularly healthy - either from a physical or mental standpoint.