Which ship?

bowie123

I have been on 7 cruises and mostly on large ships. Our last cruise was Quatum of the Seas. Would like to experience a smaller ship. Any suggestions? People seem to enjoy the Freedom class.

Thanks in advance.

Freedom is not that much smaller than Quantum, though it does have around 500 fewer guests. I'd try a Radiance class ship, such as Serenade. Serenade has some nice itineraries out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Edited by clarea

Song of Norway?

Oops, she's gone! :mad:

Well, there is still the Majesty and the Empress if you want really small.

Personally we love the Freedom class ships. We were on the Oasis in Dec. and just off the Independence on Thursday, While on the ship we were talking about why we prefer the Freedom class and decided it is because it combines the elegance and intimacy of the Radiance class but has more the of conveniences and amenities of the newer ships. In a nutshell, best of both worlds.

Freedom is not that much smaller than Quantum, though it does have around 500 fewer guests. I'd try a Radiance class ship, such as Serenade. Serenade has some nice itineraries out of Ft. Lauderdale.

I agree with Bob. Any of the Radiance Class ships are great if you're looking for a smaller ship experience.

I also agree with Bob. the Radiance class is a great class of ships, but remember as you get smaller the less amenities are offered on each ship.

The only reason I bring that up is it sounds like you have cruised the bigger ships with many amenities on them and I don't want you to be dissapointed

I didn't like the Radiance and its limited size (no promenade, etc.). And the biggest ship I've been on is the Voyager, so I can only assume that coming from an even bigger ship someone could easily feel cramped on the Radiance.

The one thing I did like about the Radiance was Deck 6, with a big Schooner Lounge that seamlessly connects to the huge Colony Club.

But overall I missed the Voyager and will probably not go for anything smaller again unless somehow I need to catch a relocation cruise instead of flying and the dates are perfect...

Been on her before but something is different happy crew, amazing food. I'm on her now. This is her last. Season out of Tampa. She is being sold try her while you can!

Sorry to see her go. We've enjoyed two cruises on Vision, and one more in a month, and then may not see her again.

Sorry to see her go. We've enjoyed two cruises on Vision, and one more in a month, and then may not see her again.

Sailed her before, might have to jump on her in Europe this summer.

So enjoyed this cruise.

We love the Radiance class ships. There are plenty of activities during the day to keep you busy if that's what you prefer. These ships don't have the waterslide or promenade, etc., but for us that's not the reason we cruise - if we want that we can get that on land. We cruise to see the world and enjoy the views of the oceans which you get from these "smaller" ships. They in no way make you feel cramped as there is lots of glass everywhere - the elevators are on the side of the ship and are glass! :)

I have been on 7 cruises and mostly on large ships. Our last cruise was Quatum of the Seas. Would like to experience a smaller ship. Any suggestions?

My only suggestion...don't get on a Carnival ship. :D

#loyaltoroyal

We love the Radiance class ships. There are plenty of activities during the day to keep you busy if that's what you prefer. These ships don't have the waterslide or promenade, etc., but for us that's not the reason we cruise - if we want that we can get that on land. We cruise to see the world and enjoy the views of the oceans which you get from these "smaller" ships. They in no way make you feel cramped as there is lots of glass everywhere - the elevators are on the side of the ship and are glass! :)

The biggest minus is the lack of a promenade - after being on the Voyager just a few weeks earlier it did make the Radiance seem cramped. Same with the outdoor pool deck area - very tight there compared to the Voyager. The spa pool was much nicer though. And as mentioned deck six is impressive.

I too did like the aft elevator lobby as in contrast to the forward section all the elevators had glass walls and a nice view.

The Radiance does have the waterslide btw.

Wasn't Splendour being sold as well

Yes, and that was why I didn't mentioned anything about the Vision rumor here as I was unsure if the crewmembers were getting mixed up with Splendour. However, I believe Splendour is going to a different cruise line, not wholly owned by Royal, whereas the latest rumor about Vision has it going to wholy owned Pulmantur.

I have been on 7 cruises and mostly on large ships. Our last cruise was Quatum of the Seas. Would like to experience a smaller ship. Any suggestions? People seem to enjoy the Freedom class.

Thanks in advance.

Bowie, I see in your signature you've sailed Oasis as well as Quantum, and in 2012 on Rhapsody. Tell us what you thought about Rhapsody now that you've sailed the big ships. Also, are you an "active" cruiser in that you really enjoy all the activities, endless entertainment, and choices you have in the bigger ships? The above two questions will help me understand what kind of cruiser you are rather than focusing on what each responder in this thread thinks is best for themselves rather than for you personally. I feel that we should put ourselves in your shoes to give you an informed answer.

A Radiance Class ship is built for relaxation. It is not an "active" ship, has an extremely small pool deck for the number of passengers, and does not have the wow factor of the bigger ships. The smallest you can go and still get the Promenade is Voyager Class.. plus you'll get out to the Helipad any time you want (unlike Q and Oasis Classes). If you want the wow factor, the smallest you should go is Voyager. However, if you wish to enjoy a more intimate awesome itinerary (such as Serenade 10-11 nights to Southern Carib) with a likely older more experienced cruising demographic, likely less night-time activities, less (choices) entertainment, a quieter atmosphere all around where you'll be out at port most every day instead of focusing on the ship, Radiance Class is absolutely perfect for that in my humble opinion.

Have had great cruises on all classes, but for me I'm an active guy and my least favorite ships are the Radiance Class for the many reasons so many CC'ers here love her the best!! To each their own.

Just my 2 cents.

Whatever you choose have a great cruise! :D

Bowie, I see in your signature you've sailed Oasis as well as Quantum, and in 2012 on Rhapsody. Tell us what you thought about Rhapsody now that you've sailed the big ships. Also, are you an "active" cruiser in that you really enjoy all the activities, endless entertainment, and choices you have in the bigger ships? The above two questions will help me understand what kind of cruiser you are rather than focusing on what each responder in this thread thinks is best for themselves rather than for you personally. I feel that we should put ourselves in your shoes to give you an informed answer.

A Radiance Class ship is built for relaxation. It is not an "active" ship, has an extremely small pool deck for the number of passengers, and does not have the wow factor of the bigger ships. The smallest you can go and still get the Promenade is Voyager Class.. plus you'll get out to the Helipad any time you want (unlike Q and Oasis Classes). If you want the wow factor, the smallest you should go is Voyager. However, if you wish to enjoy a more intimate awesome itinerary (such as Serenade 10-11 nights to Southern Carib) with a likely older more experienced cruising demographic, likely less night-time activities, less (choices) entertainment, a quieter atmosphere all around where you'll be out at port most every day instead of focusing on the ship, Radiance Class is absolutely perfect for that in my humble opinion.

Have had great cruises on all classes, but for me I'm an active guy and my least favorite ships are the Radiance Class for the many reasons so many CC'ers here love her the best!! To each their own.

Just my 2 cents.

Whatever you choose have a great cruise! :D

I loved Alaska, however, not the Rhaspody. I do enjoy the shows and the specialty restaurants that the bigger ships offer. Love Central Park. The cost of the bigger ships seem to be getting more expensive. We would like to experience a suite at some point and thought the smaller ships might be more affordable.