Military Uniform for Formal nights

mark10197

I just booked my very first cruise on the Norwegian Gem for March 12th, out of NYC.

My wife wants to do one of the formal nights, and so do I. I have been told by one of my peers to wear one of my dress uniforms for the formal dining (I am active duty US Navy). He said the crew gets a kick out of it, and so do most passengers. He did it several years ago. My question is, given the diversity of the passengers and crew of NCL, is it a good idea to wear it given recent world events. I don't want to make a political statement, or piss people off.

First, there are no formal nights on NCL. There are nights where it is suggested you may dress more formally (I think the current iteration is "Norwegian's Night Out") but there is no requirement to do so. You can dress as formally or as casually as you wish any night in almost any dining venue (two restaurants per ship require long pants and collared shirt for men - that is about as formal as NCL requires).

For the second part of your inquiry, I can't imgaine anyone would have anything negative to say about someone wearing a military dress uniform on NCL. However, I think you will be overdressed compared to the vast majority of passengers.

After 1800 the ship's Senior Staff officers wear their dress blue uniforms.

I have been a a number of cruises where both active duty and retired military wear their dress uniforms at night.

Thank for your service to this country and the sacrifices you and your family have had to make.

I've seen uniforms being worn on other cruise ships on formal night. Even though NCL doesn't have a formal night, they do have a dress up or not night (not sure that is the name of it) where many dress formally. I would wear it with pride, if I were you.

Thank you for your service, it is much appreciated.

I would check on your military's uniform regulation(s) about the wear of the uniform off-duty and to non-military functions. The regs used to be very specific about that.

Sorry to be a "kill-joy." Your choice to follow the regs or go off on your own. I have seen a few wear the uniform for such functions; true, always looks nice, but....

As a military retiree myself, "Thank You" for your continuing service, and to your spouse (who has the hardest job in the military)

Edited by DaKa2002
Add

I just booked my very first cruise on the Norwegian Gem for March 12th, out of NYC.

My wife wants to do one of the formal nights, and so do I. I have been told by one of my peers to wear one of my dress uniforms for the formal dining (I am active duty US Navy). He said the crew gets a kick out of it, and so do most passengers. He did it several years ago. My question is, given the diversity of the passengers and crew of NCL, is it a good idea to wear it given recent world events. I don't want to make a political statement, or piss people off.

mark10197, Thank you for your service! While I understand your desire (and your wife's as well!), I believe that you need to review the NPC REG

(link attached below). You asked, so I questioned my recently retired US ARMY (General Officer level) Command Sergeant Major, who stated, "it's just NOT appropriate." Then he said to ask you, will your commanding officer approve you to wear that uniform for that function?

Please read Title 10, US Code, Section 772 (e)

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/uniforms/uniformregulations/Chapter1/Pages/1401LawsDirectives.aspx

I truly hope this helps answer your question!

In my 23 years (and counting) of active duty Air Force service, I've worn my mess dress (our formal wear) exactly once on a cruise. It was at my parents' request on our sailing in 2009. Got some great family pics, and I was asked by other passengers where the dining room was quite a few times. :D Since that sailing, now that I think about it, I haven't seen anyone wearing a military uniform on a ship. Odd. Really it's up to you - just ensure the uniform you choose matches the occasion. For myself, I stopped taking mine on cruises simply due to luggage space and weight. The whole ensemble takes up a surprising amount of room, and I for one would HATE to have my luggage lost and be out over $700 of uniform items. :eek:

An opinion from Active Duty Army, I would verify through the regulations and your chain of command. On the Dawn a few years back, I wore my dress uniform seeing that the regulations allowed for it. Although with the new Army uniform, I was often mistaken for the ships officers since the uniforms looked similar. It makes for great photo ops too if you're travelling with family who really appreciate that (Much like mine). So if the regulations and CoC approve and you are comfortable wearing it, then there should be no reason not to.

It appears you and your wife are very proud of you call to duty so wear you uniform with pride. On these dress up days pictures are taken around the ship maybe one will strike you both as worth the expense. My wife and I try to get one picture for the memory. Sincere thanks to you and your family for everybody's commitment and sacrifice.