Stockholm 2016 information and advise

Hi Sharon-- We'll "leave the light on for you" as we are staying at the Rad Blu W'front from July 8-10 before we start our Viking Star cruise. Booked it on our own not realizing that this is the go-to place for Viking tours--oh well, too late to change now.:D

We bought a Stockholm Pass as it includes some of the things we had planned to visit on our own, so ended up saving some entry fees. Looks like a fun city and easy to navigate on our own. Saving the Abba museum for last if time permits. Otherwise we'll just listen to our Mama Mia tape when we get home.

"HI" to hubby!

Otis

I was sorry to see that we would miss each other while on our cruises.

Our pretrip is with GC and we only have one full and one half day available. The rest of the time will be spent on tours with GC.

Hope you all are well and have a great trip. Hi to Joan, too :).

We will be arriving on July 31 for a three day pre trip for our Grand Circle cruise and will also be staying at the Radisson Blu. If I find any information for you I will pass it along when we return.

Thank you very much.

We do plan to enjoy Stockholm on our own but getting away and seeing the countryside was what we enjoyed in Amsterdam. We enjoyed Amsterdam itself by ourselves and then our tour guide took us outside of the city. We learned and experienced more that way.

we are disembarking the Viking Sky on May 6, 2017.

trying to decide if we should just do our own post-cruise or pay for Viking to worry about all of it...but the $599 /pp for 2 nights seems high. will have to check hotel options and cost of transfers. any suggestions?

we are disembarking the Viking Sky on May 6, 2017.

trying to decide if we should just do our own post-cruise or pay for Viking to worry about all of it...but the $599 /pp for 2 nights seems high. will have to check hotel options and cost of transfers. any suggestions?

My suggestion is to do it yourself.

For hotel options, see:

Hotels/accommodation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49023362#post49023362

Transfer by bus or taxi. It is impossible to say at this time where your ship will dock.

Info about that will probably not be available for another couple of months at least.

Edited by Desdichado62

Does anyone have a recommendation for tour or private guide company? We will be 2 days in Stockholm after disembarking 5/6/17.

I'm looking for the same thing but not getting any luck with responses. I know that Stockholm is easy to do on your own (which we plan to do) but really would like to get out of the City and see the country side for at least a day since we will have 3 days there.

I'm looking for the same thing but not getting any luck with responses. I know that Stockholm is easy to do on your own (which we plan to do) but really would like to get out of the City and see the country side for at least a day since we will have 3 days there.

Have you tried TripAdvisor or just google "private tours Stockholm" that is how I found our Copenhagen tour

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have mentioned it before and I want to mention it again.

During 2016-2021 there will be large construction works going on around Slussen.

During those years, cars/HoHo buses/ship shuttles and etc will not be able to drive directly from Stadsgårdsleden across Slussen to Gamla Stan.

Katarinavägen will also be closed for ALL traffic (not sure if you still can walk along it).

City buses will be affected and will use slightly different routed across Södermalm but the Londonviadukten stop will be stopped at as usual.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.322203,18.0721942/59.3198728,18.0701207/59.3197766,18.0692968/59.3140825,18.0728589/59.3151009,18.095514/59.314691,18.0968486/@59.3142026,18.0955139,16.5z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

These are the current routes that no longer will be used the next couple of years. The changes will take place on Friday.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3166753,18.0942523/59.3204477,18.0733651/59.3224043,18.0746965/@59.3237294,18.0689544,1726m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0/59.3192424,18.0730387/59.3222452,18.074531/@59.3190336,18.0768195,1270m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

This will likely cause allot of queues and delays for all types of traffic that passes Slussen, so beware and plan accordingly.

However public buses will be given priority over all other types of traffic.

All buses that have a stop at the Slussen terminal will also have new locations for their stop:

http://sl.se/sv/info/resa/forandringar/bussomlaggning-slussen//Date

Buses 53, 76, 93 and 96 will no longer stop at Glasbruksgatan and Tjärhovsplan.

The closest suitable replacement stop for those is Nytorgsgatan:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nytorgsgatan/@59.3159182,18.0827866,16.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x465f77f9991f2257:0xc7f3466f4c53ea23!8m2!3d59.3152003!4d18.0812497

http://bygg.stockholm.se/alla-projekt/slussen/*****-projektet/Trafiken-under-byggtiden/

Our plan is to take the ferry to Vasa from 167 then walk over to Gamma Stan. Then walk back to 167. As soon as you know if pedestrian traffic will be affected with construction, please let us know. Thank you.

Thanks, Sonia, I have tried TA. That is how we found our awesome guide for Amsterdam. But, I didn't think about google. Great idea. Off to search some more.

Glad that I could help [emoji3] As we say at work, Google is our friend!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't know but I think most guides are focused on central Stockholm. Anyway can you be more specific what you mean with "the countryside"?

Does anyone have a recommendation for tour or private guide company? We will be 2 days in Stockholm after disembarking 5/6/17.

I still believe that you could easily do it on your own unless there is a specific reason to why you don't want to do it on your own?

Our plan is to take the ferry to Vasa from 167 then walk over to Gamma Stan. Then walk back to 167. As soon as you know if pedestrian traffic will be affected with construction, please let us know. Thank you.

Pedestrians, like all other types of traffic that passes Slussen will be affected to some extent. You will still be able to pass Slussen on foot but it might take a little longer

due to the construction works and the effects it has on the other traffic. However as long as you account for some extra margin you should be fine.

Edited by Desdichado62

By countryside. I mean getting away from Stockholm and seeing what Sweden is like outside of town. I am sure there is more to Sweden than Stockholm proper and that is what I crave. We have plans to do the tourist things in town like Vasa etc. In Amsterdam we took a drive outside and saw the beauty of the country and not just buildings.

By countryside. I mean getting away from Stockholm and seeing what Sweden is like outside of town. I am sure there is more to Sweden than Stockholm proper and that is what I crave. We have plans to do the tourist things in town like Vasa etc. In Amsterdam we took a drive outside and saw the beauty of the country and not just buildings.

I see some experts recommending ferry tours to some of the islands around the archipelago...

With so many little islands, it looks like more of a boat place than a drive place.

Edited by dbsb3233

Yes I know what countryside is but would you consider renting a car?

Driving in the countryside is pretty easy, Stockholm metro area is a bit heavy though during rush hour.

Anyway if you would accept renting a car, I could give some suggestions.

I see some experts recommending ferry tours to some of the islands around the archipelago...

With so many little islands, it looks like more of a boat place than a drive place.

It is very nice but can be a bit of a logistical nightmare since many islands are only visited once or twice per day which might leave you with

very little time to see things.

There is an organized archipelago cruise but it only runs during July and first half of August.

http://www.stromma.se/stockholm/utflykter/dagsutflykter/tusen-oars-kryssning/

You could take a train to Uppsala about 40 mins from Stockholm. Uppsala is a charming and historic town and you can see the countryside from the train.

http://www.destinationuppsala.se/en/

Or go to Drottningholms slott (Drottningholm Palace).

You could take a train to Uppsala about 40 mins from Stockholm. Uppsala is a charming and historic town and you can see the countryside from the train.

www.destinationuppsala.se/en/

Or go to Drottningholms slott (Drottningholm Palace).

Well Uppsala is hardly countryside since it is a city with over 200'000 inhabitants. ;)

jiminyC_fan, will see some countryside from the train but only patches between Arlanda airport and Knivsta and between Knivsta and Uppsala.

If you really want to experience the countryside, forget the larger cities and rent a car.

Here is a suggestion that will take you on a very nice journey through the Södermanland landscape.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3304685,18.0550389/59.4478081,16.7579952/J%C3%A4ders+kyrka,+Eskilstuna,+Sverige/59.4475135,16.6257247/%C3%84rla/59.2048187,16.792455/Sparreholm/Trosa/Klarabergsviadukten+82,+111+64+Stockholm,+Sverige/@59.0532394,17.4419041,50415m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m41!4m40!1m0!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x465ef1583040b335:0xdd85bd00aa0ec43!2m2!1d16.6909988!2d59.4096607!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x465eee53ea277d0d:0x295edcd4d91be57d!2m2!1d16.6857822!2d59.2782348!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x465ede50ccc07c2b:0x86313bca8de2fe82!2m2!1d16.8303335!2d59.0704435!1m10!1m1!1s0x4658b355a16b4b6d:0xb5c22e94a0f9fe59!2m2!1d17.5494638!2d58.902655!3m4!1m2!1d17.6943432!2d59.0536173!3s0x465f6bc9d8b99bd9:0x731106943b0b33df!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d604e6c77b3:0x15173342e417641e!2m2!1d18.0551027!2d59.3304707!3e0

Description:

1. Central Stockholm

2. Björsund (a small village at Björsundet, a small strait in Läke Mälaren)

3. Jäders kyrka

4. Sundbyholm marina and Palace. There are also a famous rune carving nearby.

5. Ärla

6. Malmköping

5 and 6 are small localities mostly added for waypoint purposes.

7. Sparreholm (waypoint)

8. Trosa, a small summer town.

9. Central Stockholm.

Obviously you will need a GPS navigator since you could very well get lost otherwise.

One of the reputable taxi companies in Stockholm is Stockholm Taxi. However, there are gypsy cabs who will rip you off if they can and they look just like Stockholm Taxis. Be sure to take note that the phone number below the name is 150 000.

The gypsy cabs can be found in the first lane at Arlanda airport while the legit taxis are in the second row. Look for the price on the window which should be 520SEK at the time of writing (July 2016)

Rent a car and go to the nice old small town of Sigtuna http://destinationsigtuna.se.

Dear Desdichado;

I am using this app Res i Sthlm to find which bus/tram to take in Stockholm

I am confused between Frihamnen and Frihamnens Farjeterminal

Which one is the cruise terminal that RCL is docked at?

It shows a different route if I put my departure location as Frihamnens Farjeterminal, it suggests taking bus 76 but towards Ropsen instead of Norra Hammarbyhamnen ( if I want to go to Gamla Stan)

Please clarify the difference between these 2 locations

Thanks

Dear Desdichado;

I am using this app Res i Sthlm to find which bus/tram to take in Stockholm

I am confused between Frihamnen and Frihamnens Farjeterminal

Which one is the cruise terminal that RCL is docked at?

It shows a different route if I put my departure location as Frihamnens Farjeterminal, it suggests taking bus 76 but towards Ropsen instead of Norra Hammarbyhamnen ( if I want to go to Gamla Stan)

Please clarify the difference between these 2 locations

Thanks

Cruise ships that berths at Frihamnen, mostly berth at Frihamnens Farjeterminal which is located on the pier at the Frihamnen pier.

The bus stop you have to use is called Frihamnen. Frihamnens färjeterminal stop is for the Frihamnen stop for the northbound direction.

Slottsbacken or Räntmästartrappan should be the "to location" to get correct results.

I did a search with the official SL app. My parameters were

It correctly gave me the instructions to walk 83m to Frihamnen stop and travel with bus #76 to Slottsbacken.

However if I do the same search on the SL website's journey planner, I get the same results as you.

Edited by Desdichado62

Cruise ships that berths at Frihamnen, mostly berth at Frihamnens Farjeterminal which is located on the pier at the Frihamnen pier.

The bus stop you have to use is called Frihamnen. Frihamnens färjeterminal stop is for the Frihamnen stop for the northbound direction.

Slottsbacken or Räntmästartrappan should be the "to location" to get correct results.

I did a search with the official SL app. My parameters were

It correctly gave me the instructions to walk 83m to Frihamnen stop and travel with bus #76 to Slottsbacken.

However if I do the same search on the SL website's journey planner, I get the same results as you.

I better use Frihamnen as my location then, and not Frihamnens Farjeterminal.

Thanks

I better use Frihamnen as my location then, and not Frihamnens Farjeterminal.

Thanks

Yes and no. Frihamnen as departure stop in the morning and Frihamnens Farjeterminal as the arrival stop when going back to the ship in the afternoon.

Yes and no. Frihamnen as departure stop in the morning and Frihamnens Farjeterminal as the arrival stop when going back to the ship in the afternoon.

Once you're there its easy. Just follow the blue line to the bus stop from the ship and on the way back, just ask the driver which stop to get off. It's actually closer if you wait for the 76 to make a U-turn and get off at the same stop you got on in the morning.