Stockholm 2016 information and advise

Hi Desdichado,

Can you please help me here. we are arriving in Stockholm on Aug. 16 at Norwegian Star.

I thought our Berth would be S167 but Norwegian is telling me its Frihamnen alternative is S167.

I am trying to book a taxi and I need to tell them which port/berth they should pick us up.

How far are these berths to Vasa Museum.

Ports of Stockholm have the ship listed as S167: http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

From S167 it's not that far, "just across the water" about 1.5km with hoho boats, about 2km with ferry and on foot.

By road the distance is about 4.5km

http://kartor.eniro.se/m/wWIUX

http://kartor.eniro.se/m/BHchr

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.3158451,18.0998178/59.3290327,18.0925511/@59.325006,18.0623593,4085m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=sv

Ports of Stockholm have the ship listed as S167: http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

From S167 it's not that far, "just across the water" about 1.5km with hoho boats, about 2km with ferry and on foot.

By road the distance is about 4.5km

http://kartor.eniro.se/m/wWIUX

http://kartor.eniro.se/m/BHchr

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.3158451,18.0998178/59.3290327,18.0925511/@59.325006,18.0623593,4085m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=sv

Hi Desdichado,

Taxi Stockholm is quoting me a fixed price and taximeter price. See Example below. We are a party of 11

Stadsgårdskajen kajplats 167 à Vasamueum Pick up at 7:45 for 11 people from Berth 167

- For the smaller car there is a fixed price at 240 SEK and a taximeter price at 235 SEK and for the bigger car we have a fixed price at 315 SEK and a taximeter price at 305 SEK

Are they overpricing me? If so, is it better just to book Uber?

Hi Desdichado,

Taxi Stockholm is quoting me a fixed price and taximeter price. See Example below. We are a party of 11

Stadsgårdskajen kajplats 167 à Vasamueum Pick up at 7:45 for 11 people from Berth 167

- For the smaller car there is a fixed price at 240 SEK and a taximeter price at 235 SEK and for the bigger car we have a fixed price at 315 SEK and a taximeter price at 305 SEK

Are they overpricing me? If so, is it better just to book Uber?

No they are not overpricing you.

You will need the big cars since the regular cars only seat 4 passengers. 315SEK for 5/6 people is 63/52 SEK ($7.5/$6.2/ per person which imo is reasonable.

Possible you can fit into one small car and one big car (mini van), I don't know if their big car seats 7 passengers, I think they do but you should ask them when you book.

Edited by Desdichado62

No they are not overpricing you.

You will need the big cars since the regular cars only seat 4 passengers. 315SEK for 5/6 people is 63/52 SEK ($7.5/$6.2/ per person which imo is reasonable.

Possible you can fit into one small car and one big car (mini van), I don't know if their big car seats 7 passengers, I think they do but you should ask them when you book.

Hi Desdichado,

I understand the part of booking 2 vehicles for my party - one for 4 people and 1 for Van. The one I don't understand is how they come they quoted me a fixed price and a taximeter for each vehicle. Does it mean I have to pay the fixed price and the taximeter for each vehicle?

Hi Desdichado,

I understand the part of booking 2 vehicles for my party - one for 4 people and 1 for Van. The one I don't understand is how they come they quoted me a fixed price and a taximeter for each vehicle.

Does it mean I have to pay the fixed price and the taximeter for each vehicle?

I don't know actually. I think you might have misunderstood it and that it is either fixed price or taximeter price. I would advise you to check with them again.

Their price example says 300sek for a 10km journey that takes 15 minutes. You're not travelling 10km, but only 5km. So i think they are giving you the option to choose

if you want to pay a fixed price or pay by taximeter price (which can become more expensive if you get stuck in traffic).

http://www.taxistockholm.se/sv/Priser/

Edited by Desdichado62

No. A fixed price is a guarantee that the price will not become more expensive but also that it cannot become cheaper.

A taximeter price can become cheaper but also more expensive depending on traffic, unforeseen roadworks and etc since a taximeter price is based on time and distance travelled.

So they are giving you a choice of either take the "safe bet" or "gamble" on the taximeter price.

OIC - Okay I will tell - I would rather have the fixed price then. Never liked gambling:D

One bit of advice I would share would be to be very aware of pick pockets and thieves in Stockholm. Dudette had a rather heavy gold chain bracelet cut from her wrist in the Vasa Ship Museum. It's a bracelet she has never taken off her wrist since I gave it to her some 25 years ago. We are normally very careful about taking off expensive jewelry before going ashore but the bracelet was something that we had never thought of taking off as it was something that could not be removed without her knowing it. She was in her wheelchair when she was approached by 2 young ladies wanting her to sign a petition....well the rest is history. We have reported it to the Swedish police and the Vasa Museum people but we know that it is gone.

Des, we were just on the May 29 Serenade of the Seas. We loved Stockholm and didn't have nearly enough time there. When sailing in to Stockholm, you MUST go up on deck early in the morning to watch the sailing through the archipelago. We spent at least an hour on deck before we docked and at least another hour (maybe two!) when we departed. Really beautiful.

We ended up getting the HOHO bus from the cruise terminal and since we wanted to go to Gamla Stan first, we were on the bus for the first half of the circle that it makes. We did some walking through Gamla Stan and got to see the changing of the guard at the palace at noon.

Then we caught the bus again to go to Vasa, which was amazing. We spent at least a couple of hours in there and could have spent a couple more.

We decided to head out to catch the HOHO bus to go back to the ship; we got on at the stop just outside the Nordic Museum -- what a gorgeous building!! And we didn't get to go in. I guess because it was late afternoon, the HOHO bus was PACKED!! The bus at that point makes a little loop by going down to Skansen and then turning around; right about that point, some kind of beeping noise was happening on the bus -- we didn't know what it was at first -- and then the people on the top deck said there was smoke coming out of some kind of motor up there! :eek: The bus driver made us all get out (understandable!) so we had to wait for another bus to come by. So, at that point, we were glad that we went out a little early to catch the bus, since we had to wait several more minutes for another one to show up!

We agreed that we would definitely like to return to Stockholm some day; it was a beautiful place.

I thought I had this figured out, but the further I read through the thread the more confused I got.

We're on the Clebrity Silhouette, docking 29 Aug 0800-1600. I originally figured we'd purchase a day pass for one of the HOHO boats. The Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan are our priorities. Since the HOHO boat goes clockwise, it seemed to make sense to do Gamla Stan in the morning and then Vasa in the afternoon, then return to the ship.

But now it sounds like the HOHO boats don't run that early, except direct to Vasa?? Which means I guess we need to reverse that order. But if we do that, it means backtracking on the HOHO, doing what's effectively 1.5 loops and wasting about half an hour. Kinda hate to do that when we only have about 6.5 effective hours in port.

Then I read about taking single-trip rides on the HOHO boats. These are the 2 companies, right?...

http://www.stromma.se/en/stockholm/sightseeing/sightseeing-by-boat/hop-on-hop-off-boat/

https://www.redsightseeing.com/hop-on-hop-off-boat-stockholm/

I see Stromma shows single-ride tickets (50 SEK). Anyone know if the other does too? I assume that means you get on once and get off at any stop?

So if we do single-ride on the HOHO from S167 to Vasa in the morning, and the HOHO single-ride from Gamla Stan to S167 when we're done, we just need something direct from Vasa to Gamla Stan late morning. And that's where I got a little confused, because I'm not finding a good website that lists the ferries, piers, fares, etc.

From what I understand there's a ferry (82 Djurgårdsfärjan) from Allmänna gränd near Vasa (behind the ABBA Museum) that goes to Galma Stan (Slussen). I did see your timetable PDF, and it appears it runs every 15 minutes midday on a Monday, right?

I guess another option is just to buy a day pass on the Emelie for 100 SEK, take it from S167 (Masthamnen) to Allmanna (for the Vasa), then catch it again to Nybroplan and walk from there to Royal Palace. Looks like about the same distance from there as it is from Slussen anyway. Then maybe reverse that to get back to the ship. Anyone know what the senior age cut-off is for the Emelie senior discount, and whether it applies to foreign tourists?

I thought I had this figured out, but the further I read through the thread the more confused I got.

We're on the Clebrity Silhouette, docking 29 Aug 0800-1600. I originally figured we'd purchase a day pass for one of the HOHO boats. The Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan are our priorities. Since the HOHO boat goes clockwise, it seemed to make sense to do Gamla Stan in the morning and then Vasa in the afternoon, then return to the ship.

But now it sounds like the HOHO boats don't run that early, except direct to Vasa?? Which means I guess we need to reverse that order. But if we do that, it means backtracking on the HOHO, doing what's effectively 1.5 loops and wasting about half an hour. Kinda hate to do that when we only have about 6.5 effective hours in port.

Then I read about taking single-trip rides on the HOHO boats. These are the 2 companies, right?...

http://www.stromma.se/en/stockholm/sightseeing/sightseeing-by-boat/hop-on-hop-off-boat/

https://www.redsightseeing.com/hop-on-hop-off-boat-stockholm/

I see Stromma shows single-ride tickets (50 SEK). Anyone know if the other does too? I assume that means you get on once and get off at any stop?

So if we do single-ride on the HOHO from S167 to Vasa in the morning, and the HOHO single-ride from Gamla Stan to S167 when we're done, we just need something direct from Vasa to Gamla Stan late morning. And that's where I got a little confused, because I'm not finding a good website that lists the ferries, piers, fares, etc.

From what I understand there's a ferry (82 Djurgårdsfärjan) from Allmänna gränd near Vasa (behind the ABBA Museum) that goes to Galma Stan (Slussen). I did see your timetable PDF, and it appears it runs every 15 minutes midday on a Monday, right?

I guess another option is just to buy a day pass on the Emelie for 100 SEK, take it from S167 (Masthamnen) to Allmanna (for the Vasa), then catch it again to Nybroplan and walk from there to Royal Palace. Looks like about the same distance from there as it is from Slussen anyway. Then maybe reverse that to get back to the ship. Anyone know what the senior age cut-off is for the Emelie senior discount, and whether it applies to foreign tourists?

It is correct that the HoHo boats doesn't start their regular schedule until 10.00 with the exception of the direct shuttle to Vasa in the morning when your ship docks.

It is also correct that there are two different companies (those two you linked).

You can buy a single stop ticket for the HoHo boats but there are no single ride tickets. So either pay for one stop or pay the full price if you want to travel all the way from Gamla Stan to S167.

Djurgårdsfärjan, will have a every 15 min schedule from 06.40 - 10.50, between 10.50-~19.00 it will have a departure every 10min.

Slightly different schedules during Saturdays and Sundays/other red days.

http://sl.se/ficktid/sommar/s82.pdf

So your choices basically are:

In the morning:

HoHo boats or M/S Emelie to Vasa/Djurgården

From Vasa to Gamla Stan:

Djugårdsfärjan or Bus #76 (from Djurgårdsbron to Slottbacken)

From Gamla Stan back to the ship:

Bus #53 to Londonviadukten or walk to Nybroplan and travel with M/S Emelie to S167.

For Emelie, there is no age specified but normally senior is anyone who is 65 years old or older.

Thanks for the info.

I'm beginning to think it may just be easier to get a day pass for the HOHO boat and stick with that through the day, even if we do backtrack some and lose a little time. I'm not too thrilled with having to find a place to buy bus or trams tickets first just for a single ride (if I understand that right). Seems like more trouble than it's worth if we can't just pay when we get on. I don't want to make this too confusing for our group of 6 (especially when we have 9 cities on this cruise to remember how to get around).

I assume the 24 hour HOHO boat pass is also good for the special Vasa morning ride? And that we can just buy the 24-hour pass either onshore at the pier or as we get on the HOHO boat?

If the HOHO boat isn't a good fit, we may just do the Emelie day pass, even though there's more walking involved from Nybrokajen to Gamla Stan attractions (although that looks like a nice area to walk through and see too). But it only runs hourly so we'd have to time that one more carefully.

Thanks for the info.

I'm beginning to think it may just be easier to get a day pass for the HOHO boat and stick with that through the day, even if we do backtrack some and lose a little time. I'm not too thrilled with having to find a place to buy bus or trams tickets first just for a single ride (if I understand that right). Seems like more trouble than it's worth if we can't just pay when we get on. I don't want to make this too confusing for our group of 6 (especially when we have 9 cities on this cruise to remember how to get around).

I assume the 24 hour HOHO boat pass is also good for the special Vasa morning ride? And that we can just buy the 24-hour pass either onshore at the pier or as we get on the HOHO boat?

If the HOHO boat isn't a good fit, we may just do the Emelie day pass, even though there's more walking involved from Nybrokajen to Gamla Stan attractions (although that looks like a nice area to walk through and see too). But it only runs hourly so we'd have to time that one more carefully.

IMO the most convenient/fastest way to transport yourself would be:

1. HoHo or M/S Emelie to Vasa

2. Djurgårdsfärjan från Allmänna Gränd (near Abba museum) to Gamla Stan

3. Bus #53 from Räntmästartrappan* or Slottsbacken** to Londonviakdukten (bus destinations is Henriksdalsberget or Finnberget). Bus runs every 12 minutes.

For HoHo boats and M/S Emelie, tickets are bought onboard the boat/ship.

For Djurgårdsfärjan tickets are bought during queuing.

For the bus, *buy tickets at Pressbyrån at Slussplan 1-3 **buy tickets at Tourist Center Köpmangatan Köpmangatan 22

I would recommend you to buy a one time use ticket card, it is valid for one journey but you start the journey any time since the 75min time limit isn't activated until you use it for the first time.

For more sales points, goto http://sl.se/en/ click the blue square on the map and check "sales points".

Using HoHo boats to get around (except the shuttle to Vasa in the morning) would waste allot of time.

I have mentioned it before and I want to mention it again.

During 2016-2021 there will be large construction works going on around Slussen.

During those years, cars/HoHo buses/ship shuttles and etc will not be able to drive directly from Stadsgårdsleden across Slussen to Gamla Stan.

Katarinavägen will also be closed for ALL traffic (not sure if you still can walk along it).

City buses will be affected and will use slightly different routed across Södermalm but the Londonviadukten stop will be stopped at as usual.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.322203,18.0721942/59.3198728,18.0701207/59.3197766,18.0692968/59.3140825,18.0728589/59.3151009,18.095514/59.314691,18.0968486/@59.3142026,18.0955139,16.5z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

These are the current routes that no longer will be used the next couple of years. The changes will take place on Friday.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3166753,18.0942523/59.3204477,18.0733651/59.3224043,18.0746965/@59.3237294,18.0689544,1726m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0/59.3192424,18.0730387/59.3222452,18.074531/@59.3190336,18.0768195,1270m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

This will likely cause allot of queues and delays for all types of traffic that passes Slussen, so beware and plan accordingly.

However public buses will be given priority over all other types of traffic.

All buses that have a stop at the Slussen terminal will also have new locations for their stop:

http://sl.se/sv/info/resa/forandringar/bussomlaggning-slussen//Date

Buses 53, 76, 93 and 96 will no longer stop at Glasbruksgatan and Tjärhovsplan.

The closest suitable replacement stop for those is Nytorgsgatan:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nytorgsgatan/@59.3159182,18.0827866,16.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x465f77f9991f2257:0xc7f3466f4c53ea23!8m2!3d59.3152003!4d18.0812497

http://bygg.stockholm.se/alla-projekt/slussen/*****-projektet/Trafiken-under-byggtiden/

How much would you recommend tipping a taxi driver in Stockholm or is the gratuity included in the fare?

Gratuity is included everywhere. You can tip a taxi driver or in a restaurant if the service is above standard or for extra service such as help with heavy luggage, but usually just small amounts. Far from the 20 %, or more, expected in the US.

Hi all. We dock at the S167 berth on 8th July on the Aurora. How long would it take to walk to the old town from this berth ?

It's 2.5 km to the Royal Palace and would take maybe 30min or so, also be aware of the construction work that is going on around at Slussen.

I assume that it will affect pedestrians as well but uncertain how much extra time you might need because of it.

We will be arriving at 9:15 am on 7/11/16 at Frihamnen on the Disney Magic. We just want to walk in the city. Is there a shuttle from the port to the city center? What destination would be the best way to walk?

This is an excellent site, and I thank you for great information.

We will be coming in on a 3 day pre cruise stay before boarding the Viking Star, May 2017. Looks like we will be staying at the the Radisson Blu Waterfront. I know I will have more questions later but at this point I was wondering if you can recommend a private tour guide out of Stockholm that may offer tours in the City and surrounding area. We hired one in Amsterdam and it was a highlight of our cruise.

Thank you for your time.

We will be arriving at 9:15 am on 7/11/16 at Frihamnen on the Disney Magic. We just want to walk in the city. Is there a shuttle from the port to the city center? What destination would be the best way to walk?

This is an excellent site, and I thank you for great information.

It's about 2.7km to Vasa, 4.3km to the Royal Palace/Old Town and 4.1km to one the main shopping streets (Drottninggatan).

I don't know if there is any shuttles, I would advise you to check with the cruise line.

We will be coming in on a 3 day pre cruise stay before boarding the Viking Star, May 2017. Looks like we will be staying at the the Radisson Blu Waterfront. I know I will have more questions later but at this point I was wondering if you can recommend a private tour guide out of Stockholm that may offer tours in the City and surrounding area. We hired one in Amsterdam and it was a highlight of our cruise.

Thank you for your time.

No I have no idea about guides but I usually recommend DIY for Stockholm. It's pretty easy to get around with public transport.

Thank you for your time.

We will be arriving on July 31 for a three day pre trip for our Grand Circle cruise and will also be staying at the Radisson Blu. If I find any information for you I will pass it along when we return.

Hi Sharon-- We'll "leave the light on for you" as we are staying at the Rad Blu W'front from July 8-10 before we start our Viking Star cruise. Booked it on our own not realizing that this is the go-to place for Viking tours--oh well, too late to change now.:D

We bought a Stockholm Pass as it includes some of the things we had planned to visit on our own, so ended up saving some entry fees. Looks like a fun city and easy to navigate on our own. Saving the Abba museum for last if time permits. Otherwise we'll just listen to our Mama Mia tape when we get home.

"HI" to hubby!

Otis