Debit cards and cash

sugcarol

I'd just rather buy OBC in advance for what I anticipate spending and use that for my budget. Set up the account as cash and then either pay it off with extra cash I brought on board or THEN use my debit or credit card if necessary.

The reason I'd rather buy the OBC in advance is I like to have my trips paid off as much as possible in advance so I'm really only dealing with spending money for ports (if on a cruise). And not being one who must be "GO GO GO!!!!!" all the time, I don't mind visiting Guest Services on the final night (and I seem to also hit it where there is no line or a very small one, so I've never encountered these legendary wrapping around the Centrum lines people speak of). Just makes my life easier all around.

I know in Ireland you can get prepaid visa debit cards that sound a bit like that. They're not connected to an account and you top them up as needed.

The difference in my card and a pre paid card is mine has the Banks and my names on it. Pre paid cards I have seen do not contain that information.

I use my debit card. But I just set up a cash account and pay it off with the card when we get to $500. So there are no big holds.

I think that's the best way to use the debit card. No holds that way.

bigque, two years ago when MY DH & I and our daughter flew to Sydney, Australia, I had to set myself up, a spreadsheet showing all expenses for the 54 days ( 3 cruises + 11 days land). It proved to be the best way to keep track of all costs, as well as the payment intervals for the 3 cruises including final payment.

I'm never really sure why this is always such an issue. Debit cards take money that you already have outside of your bank, and often times will place holds on them, but not always. However, if you are on vacation, and use it alot, you can have many holds on it, which makes you have no money. Now if you have no money, and must buy gas, or eat dinner etc, than what?

It's a risk.

Credit cards assume some risk. You can easily contest charges, and if you have a really good one, you can go over your limit, have insurance, and really just a piece of mind knowing you have fraud protections as well. They have holds also, but than you still have your back-up cash available plus maybe your credit limit is higher.

I dislike credit, but I do not dislike credit cards. Use it, and pay it off when you get home. I pay it off before I even get my bill.

My younger years, I was stranded once because of holds. I ended out squeezing $10.00 of gas out of my card. When I got closer, I had someone bring me gas. I might add that I had plenty of money, but between hotel hold and gas holds, I was stranded.

I will never make that mistake again.

The debate will go on, but my credit card will be my primary choice.:D

Thanks for the comments

However I want to put my debit card down in case of need but also put cash down. Will guest services use my cash first or do I need to ask them

Thank

They will charge the debit card at the end of the cruise if there is an outstanding balance after applying all the credits, including cash.

Note that if your account goes below zero, i.e., you have charged more than the credits you have, then you could be subject to the "hold" problem.