The [Almost] Complete NCL Star Ship Guide and Review from 1/31/2016 Sailing

Angelo_R

Angelo I've been looking over the dailies you've posted and they're making my anticipation grow even more, thank you for putting them out on google. Regarding Le Bistro - I noticed a note on the dailies that resort casual and shorts allowed in all venues except Versailles and Le Bistro after 5pm. I just want to clarify the shorts portion...I know my 12 year old son would not want to wear pants to dinner at Le Bistro...would nice "dressy" shorts be allowed (not athletic)?

I just want to clarify the shorts portion...I know my 12 year old son would not want to wear pants to dinner at Le Bistro...would nice "dressy" shorts be allowed (not athletic)?

NCL's dress code can be found in their FAQ:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

"Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants."

To the OP:

Is the room you had considered a 2 bedroom family suite or is it a regular suite with a connecting room?

We have a family suite booked on the Star for next December and I am pretty sure it is only one room

The OP was in an inside cabin.

The family suites on the Star are just one room. I believe that it's a pretty big room though. We were considering one but decided against it in the end as we wanted a balcony.

To the OP:

Is the room you had considered a 2 bedroom family suite or is it a regular suite with a connecting room?

We have a family suite booked on the Star for next December and I am pretty sure it is only one room

Our room 4561 is a standard inside cabin at 142sq ft and is just one room (pics on Google Docs).

Depending on the family suite you got it's probably 409-574 sq ft and either one or two rooms.

The 14500 Garden Villa we visited had 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, living and dining rooms, large deck and included the sundeck on deck 15 and is almost 7,000 sq ft. I am getting some pictures together of it and will have them up soon.

Edited by Angelo_R

To clarify, there are two different types of Family Suite on the Spirit. The Two Bedroom Family Suite (SC) is a fairly standard configuration on NCL ships, with a smaller bedroom (with ensuite), a living area and the main bedroom and a bathroom. It also has a balcony.

The "Family Suites" (SJ) are just one big room (plus bathroom obviously), but it is pretty big. It doesn't have a balcony, but has a very large window. As far as I'm aware, these rooms are only found on a small number of ships (Star and Dawn are the only ones I know for sure).

We are on this cruise in April and was wondering if anyone has info on taking a case water on board. I've heard that you have to carry it on at this port (Tampa) as opposed to using a luggage tag and treating a case of water as luggage. Thanks for any help!

We are on this cruise in April and was wondering if anyone has info on taking a case water on board. I've heard that you have to carry it on at this port (Tampa) as opposed to using a luggage tag and treating a case of water as luggage. Thanks for any help!

Sealed Water/Soda can be brought on preferably as carry-on. It was recently discussed in this thread. The policy doesn't say you can't put it in your checked luggage, but doesn't say anything about AS another piece of luggage with a tag. I personally wouldn't as I see how bags are beaten around sometimes! The water/soda could burst and ruin luggage. Plus they would leave it outside your stateroom and someone could easily come by and swipe it.

That's one outstanding cruise review. We are taking Star on April 10 and you provided everything we could have wanted as far as cruise information. We had no info on daily entertainent, and you provided it. Thanks!

Thank you. I'm glad it has helped. I don't understand why NCL can't at least post a basic Freestyle for each cruise in MyNCL even just 1-2 weeks prior to departure. I understand they wouldn't want people to see specials mid/end week that would prevent sales at the beginning of the week, but the scheduled activities, prime rib night(s), menus, and everything else is already known ahead of time and it only takes a computer to generate the info in your MyNCL online. Half my first day is spent on iConcierge looking at the week's events so I can schedule shows and specialty dinners around other events. I don't want to have pre-booked Teppenyaki the first night only to find out that the first night is prime rib and now I have to choose missing prime rib, or rescheduling Teppenyaki. Sounds petty, but that's just one example.

I will be posting more of my review/guide tonight and tomorrow. I've been cartching up with work and college.

Hey Angelo, I haven't been able to read through this entire review but from what I have seen, it is really good and thorough. I was on the sailing from January 17-24, I know you saw my review and left me a few good words, it is neat seeing this from a different perspective than mine. Keep up the good work. I will enjoy reading the rest of your review.

So this is the part that many people look for - the ship's dining and drink reviews. Here are locations, descriptions, information, and our take on all the food and dining on board (if we didn't go, it's stated).

By the way, I have all the bits and pieces of this guide and review from this thread in a Word document. I have the current version of the document, along with pictures, freestyles and other documents posted on my Google Docs.

Food/Dining - Complimentary

Versailles Main Dining Room – Deck 6 Aft (B/L/D)

The Versailles is an elegant place to have a sit down breakfast, lunch, or dinner. No swimwear, tank tops, or cover-ups are allowed to be worn here. Minimum attire is a dress or jeans/slacks and a blouse or polo. You will need to check the Freestyle Daily to see when meal times are. Most of the items of each meal are found at the buffet as well, just served to you and presented nicely. The menus usually change on a daily rotation with an always interesting selection. Fancy words adorn the menu like compote and beurre blanc. Start off with water and rolls, and pick a nice wine or cocktail. The appetizer, main course, and dessert will come at a steady pace. Enjoy the food, the ambiance, and converse with your family and friends.

The aft elevator only goes from Deck 7-13, so if you’re in the lower rooms, the easiest way to get to Versailles is on Deck 7. Go through either the 5 O’clock Somewhere bar on the port side or the photo gallery on starboard to the aft stairwell, then go down one flight to deck 6.

Aqua Main Dining Room – Deck 6 Mid (L/D)

The Aqua has a more contemporary style décor. If you’re not up for the buffet and not in the mood to dress to the nines, it’s a great place to have a lunch or dinner; however despite the name, straight bathing suits are not allowed—cover ups are ok. You will need to check the Freestyle Daily to see when meal times are. You are served by several different wait staff all ready to help you enjoy your meal.

Market Café – The Buffet – Deck 12 Mid/Aft (B/L/D)

This is the buffet… breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, evening snack, 10:30 tummy fill. Every day from 6 AM till 11 PM, all different cuisines are placed before you to try, with some common staples mixed in. They do close an hour or two between meals to clean and prep for the next meal, so check the Freestyle Daily for hours. The nice thing about a buffet is trying something new at each meal—you only have to take a small portion and if you like it you can have more. Salad, soup, breads, main dishes, desserts, and snacks adorn the serving lines. What most people don’t know is that you don’t have to grab a plate as you walk in and stand on the long line. Walk around past the first drink stand and you’ll see a second serving area with some of the same stuff from the first area, and additional favorites like sandwiches, another salad bar, cold cuts, cheeses, and more. During busier times, they have the third section at the rear open as well. At breakfast, there are 4 omelet stations, one at each of the open sections. Depending on the time, you should expect to wait a few minutes, but it’s an omelet to your request, or fresh sunny side up or over easy eggs. At lunch the omelet areas usually serve paninis. And at dinner they become carving stations for roast beef, pork, and other meats.

The food is generally good to great, but don’t expect greatness with everything you try and the same item can change flavor or consistency each day. The scrambled eggs are hit or miss—sometimes dry and cakey, other days just right or even a little wet. Remember that most cruise lines are run by European companies and the cuisine along with the style and preparation are sometimes different than what you might know from home.

Entrances are on deck 12 on either side of Topsiders through the breezeway from the pool heading aft, or from the aft elevators/stairs. Seating is somewhat limited as compared to other ships. They have tables lined up all the way to the back. They are put 2 together and allow 4 seats on either side. If you’re a group of 2-4, you will be sharing meals at times with others unless you take your food outside to the pool area.

Topsiders Bar & Grill – Deck 12 Mid (B/L)

Poolside burgers, hot dogs, fries, and other options – didn’t mom tell us to not eat and swim? Check the Freestyle for hours. It’s basically a mini buffet with the essentials for a short time at each meal. Opening for breakfast at 6:30 AM, hey have the basics, eggs, bacon, sausage, toast and some other items. Topsiders is a common place to grab a burger after swimming, or a plate of comfort food like French fries. Weather permitting, these and other items are available until 5 PM, and usually open when a sail away or other even is happening on deck 12.

O’Sheehans Irish Pub – Deck 8 Mid (24 hours) – Menu(s) on Google Docs

This is the 24 hour (actually 21.5 hours, they close from 11-11:30AM, 4:30-5pm, and 4am-5:30am) food and bar location setup in the theme of an Irish Pub. The menu includes “Irish Favorites” along with wings, hot dogs, burgers, and other staples you might want even at 2 in the morning! We heard a lot of people say “try the poutine.” Hand the host/ess your key card and they will seat you on either side either overlooking the water or the atrium. This is also where you will have the prime rib, usually the first or second day (check your Freestyle insert). We also heard the prime rib is served on the same evening at the buffet carving stations. Even though O’Sheehans is 24 hours, prime rib is served for a limited time from 4:00PM to 9:00PM.

Our Take: We did not get a chance to try the poutine fries. Wife had the spinach & artichoke dip which she liked very much, along with the fish & chips on a different visit which were greasy but good. I had 6 buffalo wings (also come in Texas BBQ, Thai Chili, or Jamaican Jerk) that tasted great. On the next visit I had a O’Sheehans hot dog which wasn’t bad but I think the sauerkraut was a bit dry. They don’t serve mozzarella sticks anymore (if you’ve had them on other ships). I did have the chocolate fudge brownies, but had to try and pick out the walnuts as best as I could. The menu doesn’t say “with nuts” so for anyone with nut allergies, stay away. I ate some of it along with all the ice cream. Overall a 3/5 stars.

Want a good seat for an atrium show? Pull up a bar stool along the railing overlooking the atrium and enjoy the music with some great food, and a stiff drink from O’Sheehans Bar.

Ginza – Deck 7 Mid/Fwd (L/D) – Menu on Google Docs

Ginza is the Asian noodle bar which is mostly complimentary, and includes ordering from the Sushi and Sake bar which are a la carte. The waitresses are petite wearing orange and white dresses. It has a selection of traditional appetizers and soups, Asian main courses with noodles and rice, and customary desserts. Specialty hot rocks “ishiyaki” for $10 and you can order lobster as a premium selection for $24.99.

Our Take: We started with the steamed pork pot stickers which were good and the spring rolls that were crispy and delicious (careful, they are hot and will burn your tongue). Wife had the hot n’ sour soup which she loved. She ordered a Californication Roll from the sushi bar. I don’t like guacamole or cucumber, so it was all hers and she liked it (we order sushi at home 2-3 times a month). For the main course, I had sweet n’ sour pork which was fried but not battered mixed with peppers and pineapples and smothered in an odd-tasting sweet n’ sour sauce. I ate it, but was not a favorite—guess I’m used to the local Chinese take-out dives at home. I also had the combination fried rice which had a good mix of flavor. She ordered the beef chow fun, which was bland and only ate ¼ of. Then she asked for lemon pepper shrimp which was dripping in a lemon pepper glaze with about 8-10 shrimp. Again, it was not well liked by her or me even after removing about 90% of the glaze. Pictures are up on Google Docs Overall a 2.5/5 stars.

As we waited for our meal, a guest next to us ordered one of the hot plates and we watched her cook her meat. It smelled good, like when Chili’s brings fajitas to your table… however as she sat and ate, any meat that stuck to the hot plate kept cooking and the smell turned to burnt meat. Thankfully the waiter took it away soon after.

Ice Cream Station – Deck 12 Mid

I scream, you scream. Usually serving 3 or 4 flavors of ice cream, the station between Topsiders Grill and Topsiders Bar will keep you refreshed and curb your sweet tooth on a sunny afternoon by the pool. Get it in a dish or on a cone and put your favorite toppings on.

Note: Ice cream can also be found most of the day at the dessert station in the buffet. You can also order a dish of ice cream at any sit-down meal even if it’s not on the menu.

Food/Dining – Specialty ($) and A la carte

There are 5 specialty (additional cost) restaurants on board which include: Le Bistro, La Cucina, Cagney’s, Moderno, and Teppenyaki. These restaurants range in price from $25/pp and up or now have a la carte pricing, and you [should] make a reservation either from the iConcierge app, at the dining desk, calling the dining desk from your stateroom, or using one of the touch screens around the ship. There are also several a la carte dining options such as the Sushi Bar, and coffee/desert stations like Atrium Café & Bar

Teppenyaki – Deck 7 Mid/Fwd

Teppenyaki is the Hibachi (think Bennihana) grill which is located inside the Ginza Noodle Bar. There are two grills side by side wrapped on three sides by a table and 12 seats. Check the menu, place your order, and let the show begin. Your two chefs will start making jokes and noise as they do tricks with the utensils and food right before your eyes. The food is cooked fast, fresh, and entertaining. The aroma makes your mouth water while they slice and dice your meal. Follow up the meal with an all “green” tea dessert, or choose a fruit plate. Very few walk away unsatisfied or unentertained.

Our Take: We loved the show and walked out stuffed. I ordered the surf and turf, and wife ordered the filet mignon. The fresh garlic smell while he made the fried rice was to die for. Both the steak and shrimp were cooked perfectly and tasted delicious. Overall, our second best experience next to Cagney’s and worth a 5/5 stars.

La Cucina – Deck 6 Mid (Next to Gatsby’s) – Menu on Google Docs

When you’re here… you’re… oh wait, that’s another Italian place. La Cucina is Italian cuisine on located on the ship. They have made La Cucina into an a la carte menu instead of a flat $25/pp. The prices are equivalent to a local restaurant, and you can still keep the bill to around $25 per person with an appetizer, entrée, and dessert unless you order the lobster or t-bone steak. They have a good selection of Italian favorites.

Our Take: We had the UDP and were able to order anything we wanted (and more than 1 plate if desired, although it differs from ship to ship if they let you do this). I had calamari, rigatoni and meatballs, and lobster fra diavolo. Wife had insalata caprese, and bistecca fiorentina (t-bone steak). Pictures are up on Google Docs. She enjoyed the tomato & mozzarella and the steak, but it was very fatty – probably 1/3 of the 18oz was fat. The calamari was very thin with a thick batter but tasted good. I wasn’t too keen on the shellfish-tomato sauce on the lobster. The meatballs were so-so, kinda bland. The rigatoni was al dente, but again the tomato and basil sauce wasn’t that great. I am Italian and my grandmother spoiled us with delicious meals. I hate to say it, but the sauce at La Cucina looked like Chef Boyardee and tasted slightly better. We sat down at our reservation time of 5:30. Service was a bit slow, so we didn’t have time for dessert as we were trying to catch the 7:00 show. Overall a 2/5 star. We did hear guests raving about their pizza, which I believe can be ordered or $5.

Cagney’s Steakhouse – Deck 13 Mid – Menu on Google Docs

It’s the talk of the ship—“You have to try Cagney’s.” A small restaurant nestled in a corner of deck 13, the smell of flame cooked steak fills the air.

Le Bistro – Deck 6 Mid

Opposite Gatsby’s (next to the piano) is the entrance to Le Bistro. However, we experienced the food of Le Bistro in a different way… served to us by Caesar, the butler in the Garden Villa with friends. We were going to skip Le Bistro and have Moderno with our 4UDP package. Since they had plans for Le Bistro, we ordered from the menu. The food arrived at the time we requested. Caesar set the table and served us as we would have in the restaurant. Wife had the lamb chops and thoroughly enjoyed them. I had the beef tenderloin which was full of flavor and very tender. I also had the lobster which was very good. Everyone else enjoyed their meal with no complaints. Pictures are up on Google Docs. For the food I’d give a 4/5 stars as I cannot rate the restaurant experience. And while the lobster was delicious, the two of us that had it felt sick that night, and I had to make a few trips to the bathroom the next morning.

Moderno – Deck 13 Mid

Next to Cagney’s is the Moderno Churrascaria. We did not make it to Moderno on this trip. We heard mixed reviews from other guests.

Sushi – Deck 7 Fwd/Mid – Menu on Google Docs

The sushi bar is located just as you walk inside Ginza. It is a la carte and you order by the roll, or grab plates from the sushi belt going by which are half rolls of 4 specific rolls on the menu. They are only open from 5:30PM to 10:00pm every day.

Our Take: We were on the NCL Dawn in 2012 and enjoyed their pricing of $2.50 to $4.00 for a full roll. On the Star with their new menus, it is now $5.00 to $7.50 for a full roll. While still less expensive than a sushi place back home, we only went once. We took 4 half rolls from the sushi belt as they came around: 2 two-timing tuna rolls, a rock n’ roll, and a californication roll. All were delicious.

Bars/Drinks

If you’re on deck 6-8 or 12-14, you will find a bar somewhere. Times vary at each bar, but you should have no problem getting a drink on this ship! Port taxes may be incurred on top of the 18% gratuity fee. In Tampa, a 7% tax is added to any drink until away from port about 20-40 miles (not sure). If you have the UBP, you will still get charged this tax. Embarkation day, we had about $5.50 in taxes on 8-10 drinks. Also, I suggest using the iConcierge app to monitor your stateroom account several times a day, especially if you have the UBP. You can get a receipt upon request, but now they don’t bring receipts to sign anymore. If they billed you for something they will usually tell you (over $15, water, soda, or anything not covered by UBP), but may not always. It’s easier to take care of a discrepancy early rather than the last night with 500 other guests.

Gatsby’s Champagne Bar – Deck 6 Mid

Located outside La Cucina and in view of the piano, grab a drink at Gatsby’s and sit in a handful of seats line the area for the singer/pianist shows that happen throughout the day. Many trivia games happen in this alcove as well. Service can be slow here at times and was probably the longest wait at a bar we had which was about 10 minutes—but we were waiting for our seating time at La Cucina so it didn’t matter to us.

Wine Cellar – Deck 6 Mid

Care for a glass of wine? When it’s open, the ambiance is very nice. Décor and wine racks fill the area. We were never around when it was open to order a glass.

Star Casino Bar – Deck 6 Fwd

Hmmm, drinking and gambling… quite an unheard of mix, but let’s go with it J . If you can stand the smoke smell from the casino area, getting a drink here is not a long wait at all. The bartenders were always friendly here (maybe they get bigger tips from all those winners?).

Sake Bar – Deck 7 Fwd/Mid

Located inside Ginza and Sushi area in the back right, grab a glass of sake or wine, and a limited selection of mixed drinks. Open from 5:00pm – 11:00pm, there was never more than 1 person ahead of us there. Wife loves wine so she got half of her Malbec’s on the trip from there. I had one or two Crown & Pepsi’s if I didn’t already have a drink.

Java (Atrium) Café & Bar – Deck 7 Mid

Selling Lavazza coffee and cappuccinos along with muffins and other snacks, this is all a la carte and is only open at select times.

5 O’clock Somewhere Bar – Deck 7 Aft

Between the grand atrium and the aft elevators on the port side, this quaint establishment opens at noon and closes at midnight. Kind of sports bar, depending on the time of day the regulars shuffle in for a drink, a game on TV, and conversation. Nestled in the corner is a stage and microphone for Karaoke and music. Singles and solos nights are held here, along with other socials and events (Sudoku challenge anyone). Play Wii all day alone or in a Wii tournament here. Drink times can be long when crowded and you may want to bring your first drink from somewhere else while you wait on your next one, otherwise it’s fairly quick.

Spinnaker Lounge – Deck 7 Aft

You will learn where this place is quickly as all the main events, game shows, latitudes rewards get together, lecturers, arts & crafts, dance parties, white hot nights, and the only movie screen on board. Thankfully, there is a bar at the rear along with wait service at the tables (slow, but it is there). If you only see 1 bartender and a line, you can expect to wait for a drink. Once they add the second or third bartender, drinks flow quicker!

O’Sheehan’s Bar – Deck 8 Mid

At the back of the 24 hour dining area sits a bar acting like an Irish Pub. Get any drink you want here, but it can be busy at times, especially when an atrium show is going on.

Barong Juice Bar – Deck 12 Aft

The juice bar is located in the fitness center. I don’t remember ever seeing it open when I was there.

Topsiders Bar & Grill – Deck 12 Mid

Outside and weather permitting, this bar is busy most of the day, but they always had at least 2 or 3 bartenders all the time. They not only serve walk-ups, but also the wait staff delivering drinks to those sunning around the pool area. Even at busy times, we didn’t wait more than 5-6 minutes for a drink.

Sugarcane Mojito Bar – Deck 13 Mid

This bar is located inside the Moderno restaurant. Great window views looking out on the starboard side and overlooking the pool area. We did not get drinks from here during our trip, so I can’t say what the wait times are.

Bier Garten – Deck 14 Fwd

Another outside, weather permitting, a very popular hangout on deck 14 above the stadium seating lounge chairs, it overlooks the pool and also gives a nice ocean view on either side. However, people go there for the people and it was always crowded. I cannot comment on wait times because we only passed through just to check it out with drinks in hand from Topsiders Bar already.

Great summary. I can add a couple of things to it.

O'sheehans - Poutine - not bad - ask for extra gravy though because they aren't very generous with it! The fish and chips are pretty good (although its fish and fries - not "proper' chips) but I'm pretty fussy about my fish and i enjoyed it. my wife tried the cottage pie and said it was good. Its an Irish bar in the sense that it tries to be - the food is very american irish. they try but things like the country platter in the mornings doesn;t have irish sausage or bacon. Its pretty good but don;t get your hopes up thinking that you are getting a full fry. My kids used it quite a bit and enjoyed it - as did we.

Ginza - similar to you - the apps were good but the main course were lacking. I asked for their spiciest dish - and it really wasn't spicy. the fried rice dishes are ok. Order loads of apps and you'll be fine :D

Moderno - we enjoyed it. The lamb and the fillet are good. The salad bar was excellent - good selection including meats, good cheeses and ceviche. The fish you have to ask for - they don't walk around with it. Go hungry. If you ask really nicely they'll let you take a plate of cheese away with you for desert. its a step up from the blandest cheese ever on the buffet and you can then get some wine and enjoy cheese and wine on your own time :D

Mojito bar - I like this place - only a few seats at the bar but quite a few wingback chairs as well. The bar normally only has one person running it and they also do the drinks for Cagneys and moderno so it can get backed up. However I found it to be an excellent relaxed place to get a drink before (and after) dinner an the ambience encourages conversation with the other guests. Same drinks as elsewhere plus the mojitos!

Thanks for the review - looking very good!

So this is the part that many people look for - the ship's dining and drink reviews. Here are locations, descriptions, information, and our take on all the food and dining on board (if we didn't go, it's stated).

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this awesome review of the NCL Star! We head out on 06-Mar and I prefer to have some knowledge of what is going on.

I have referred to your Freestyle daily activity docs about twice a day to get my bearings on what is going on. I still think I will read about five books, but I'm also a Trivia Fanatic!

Randall of

• 2 weeks later...

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for this amazing review. I found myself writing down so much of it that I am just going to print it out. We are first timers on the 4/3 sailing so I have been all over this board doing research.