Carnival Shareholders

smj777

Yes, I have given all the details and have now set all my preferences, so raring to go. You have all been such a help to us new capitalists. It is a shame HMRC also want their share though, isn't it? :(

Mine is set to be paid into my bank but it does not seem to get there straight away. It seems that HL have a certain day in the month for transferring dividends. You can, however, see it in your HL account on the day it paid.

By the way,the divided is paid four times a year. Currently it is $0.30 per share which works out at around £20 for 100 shares depending on the exchange rate at the time. The next dividend will be converted at the exchange rate quoted at noon on 1st March by the Bank of England. There will be an announcement at the time on the Carnival corporate website.

Brian

Mine is paid automatically twice a year. For some reason the revenue got wind of it and want their share :mad: Never mind, they say my tax affairs are so simple i don't have to fill in a return anymore :) I suppose the couple of investments I have which pay gross interest must tell them about it.

I will be officially ancient next month, an OAP :eek:. The pension will come in handy as well and I got word today that it is a bit larger than i thought. I am going to spend it wisely and book better cabins in future. :D

HMRC want their 20% of that as well :rolleyes:

I thought the rules changed in July 2015 when the Chancellor said that any dividend income up to £5k was tax exempt, the example I saw quoted showed a portfolio of £125k with a 4% return would be taxable?

You can't get away with any of State Pension as it is paid at the gross rate but your tax number is adjusted down by the value of the State Pension, any private pensions are then taxed using the lower tax number, so it's swings and roundabouts and you pay 20% on all pension income.

I thought the rules changed in July 2015 when the Chancellor said that any dividend income up to £5k was tax exempt, the example I saw quoted showed a portfolio of £125k with a 4% return would be taxable?

You can't get away with any of State Pension as it is paid at the gross rate but your tax number is adjusted down by the value of the State Pension, any private pensions are then taxed using the lower tax number, so it's swings and roundabouts and you pay 20% on all pension income.

I knew about the tax code change to recover the tax from my private pension but was not aware of the tax free allowance from my share dividends :)

Anyway it is an extra 5 grand or so going in the spending jar :D

Hi everyone. Been watching the conversations closely. And as I see it's persuaded more than one of you also. Likewise I think I'll take the plunge but being new to the share game. A couple of queries you lot could potentially help with?? First of all torn between halifax and HL seem worthy enough but to check neither of them charge a fee to look after the shares if I'm reading correctly once you pay the upfront cost is that it?? Secondly it comes up with two options carnival Corp and carnival plc one showing dollar and other in pence I assume. Does it matter which one? I appreciate any help.

I have an account with both Halifax and HL. Neither charge an inactivity fee but of the two I prefer HL. With HL it is best to use the Fund and Share account as there are no charges. It is not worthwhile to use the Stocks and Share ISA as there is an annual charge for this and there is no tax saving anyway.

Carnival Corporation is the American side quoted on the New York stock exchange and is quoted in US dollars. You would need to convert to dollars to buy shares here.

Carnival PLC is the UK side quoted on the London stock exchange and quoted in pounds. This is what you need to buy as there are no foreign exchange complications. Although the dividend is quoted in US dollars (currently $0.30 per share) this is automatically converted to sterling by Carnival for owners of Carnival PLC shares.

The HL site is very easy to use. Once you have opened the account you need to transfer cash into the account. This can be done instantly with a debit card and then you are free to deal. You need to transfer slightly more than you think you will need taking into account the share price at the time plus dealing cost(£11.95) and stamp duty (0.5% so around £15). Any surplus cash can be transferred back out once you have made your purchase.

It can be a little daunting at first when dealing. You specify how many shares you want to buy. It will then give you a price and you then have 15seconds to accept or not. If you don't do anything it just times out and you are then free to go again.

There is a lot of financial information on Carnival on the HL website. Look under the tab "share prices and stock market" and search for Carnival. You don't have to be logged in to use this.

Brian

Edited by BrianI

Brian is absolutely right, CC95 as I can verify after having just done this as a total beginner. The HL site was indeed very easy to use and it was very easy to follow their instructions and to set up the account - even for me!

I first of all opened the account with £100 just to test the water and then when we saw how easy it was to 'top up' the account, we added the whole sum. The fast countdown scared me a bit, but you just start again.

I have been very impressed by all the info I am reading on the HL site and also by their communications and I feel able to cope. I am pleased I have done it and look forward to getting my dividend and my shareholder benefits OBC and am loving watching its progress on the charts and watching the live prices. It is very exciting for me at the moment and I know it will wear off, but as a total newbie, bear with me :)

Brian, can we appoint you as our HL Financial Advisor ???? ;)

I am not a financial adviser, just a user.

One other point if anyone is considering buying Carnival shares is that in order to qualify for the next dividend payment in March, you have to own the shares by 19th Feb. It's only around £20 though for 100 shares and there is another dividend in June.

Brian

You need 100 shares. You have to apply for the benefit once you have paid the full balance of your cruise and no later than two weeks before departure. It does not matter when you buy the shares, you just need to verify ownership at the time you apply for the benefit. Thus if you are sailing in June you could buy the shares in May and still qualify.

Note that you can have only one benefit per cabin, so there is no advantage in two people sharing a cabin each owning shares.

Details here

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Brian

Silly question. I looked at the web site and it divides the company up globally. Does that mean if I am in the uk I can only get OBC on p&o and Cunard? I am going on a p&o cruise in April and a Holland America cruise in July so would be good if I could get benefits on both cruises.

Thank you

Silly question. I looked at the web site and it divides the company up globally. Does that mean if I am in the uk I can only get OBC on p&o and Cunard? I am going on a p&o cruise in April and a Holland America cruise in July so would be good if I could get benefits on both cruises.

Thank you

You get the benefit on ANY Carnival group irrespective of where you live or where you are cruising from. You just have to apply to the particular line. So you definitely get it on Holland America.

Note you cannot apply until you have made your final payment.

Brian

Thank you

Costa,Aida, Seabourn, Princess, HAL, Cunard, Carnival & P&O all qualify.

Benefit paid in USD$, € Euro or £GBP depending on which currency used on board by the Line. Ken

Thank you

No these are Carnival shares you are buying and the benefit is across all Carnival cruise lines.

David

Hi. Just wanted to thank all those who helped with giving advice. Finally got the 100 shares couple of days ago so very pleased and greatfull for the help given. :)

Can I echo those thanks. I am now going cruising with a share owning capitalist, should be interesting, I will have to watch my Ps and Qs :)

If you bought the minimum 100 to qualify for OBC you would need two dividend payments, maybe three with dealing charges to buy one additional share.

Additionally you have no control of what price you pay, it could be at the top of the price range and as we know the stock is volatile. Better to take the cash IMO