Is there anyone here who still....enjoys elegance?

Cruizen Susan

Times change. What was once seen as elegant can now seem tacky. People still enjoy dressing up, they may just chose to do so with today's style, rather than yesterday's idea of going out for the evening. It really doesn't matter to me what people wear. If they want to dress up by wearing a tuxedo, that's fine. If they want to dress up by wearing designer jeans and a modern jacket, that's fine too. I'm not going to waste my vacation worrying about what other people are wearing. I'll leave the whining to others.

Oh my dear, believe me, there is no worrying! And the whining is not done by the "dress up" folks, they are very happy and content enjoying their cruise in style. ( I know I know, "style" is relevant")

A lovely young woman posted a picture of her and her family, very elegant, and I would hardly call them "tacky" (your words, not mine)

I hope she does not mind, I am posting her picture again!! :)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/549005_10200529844383587_1864055200_n.jpg?oh=ce2cdf6bd786469014555e58f746ba4b&oe=573277A5

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

I am afraid that the kilt will remain in my wardrobe at home this year. It has gone with us on e dry cruise but the hustle of dressing up in a hot climate no longer appeals as formal nights are no more. I will take a selection of jackets and trousers (slacks for those not from where I come from) and no ties and will be perfectly comfortable. It is far too warm in the Caribbean to wear that many clothes.

Jacket and slacks--perfect!! But I will miss the kilt!!

Oh my dear' date=' believe me, there is no worrying! And the whining is not done by the "dress up" folks, they are very happy and content enjoying their cruise in style. ( I know I know, "style" is relevant")

A lovely young woman posted a picture of her and her family, very elegant, and I would hardly call them "tacky" (your words, not mine)

I hope she does not mind, I am posting her picture again!! :)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/549005_10200529844383587_1864055200_n.jpg?oh=ce2cdf6bd786469014555e58f746ba4b&oe=573277A5[/quote']

1) There is plenty of whining on this board from those who like to dress up. When it comes to the dress codes, there is whining from both sides.

2) As for the tacky comment, I took the comment: "Things change. And what was once seen as elegant can now seem tacky" to mean that what was seen as elegant many years ago, could now be seen as tacky.

So that bridesmaid dress you wore in a wedding in 1988 or 1995 may have been very elegant at the time, but to wear that same dress today would be seen as tacky by some.

On my most recent cruise, I saw plenty of older style bridesmaid dresses being worn on formal night. I also saw a few older people wearing prom dresses that would been more suited for their granddaughters. I don't consider either of those outfits to be elegant, but as long as the person wearing the outfit is happy, that is all that matters.

Edited by lovemylab

I'm new around here, and to Celebrity, but here's my thoughts:

First, I'll be cruising Celebrity with my wife for the first time in a couple of months. Eastern Caribbean itinerary is booked. This will be our second cruise total so I suppose you could say we are quite new to cruising. I'm in my late 20's and really don't have any sense of style/fashion if that's relevant.

My wife and I will be dressing up each night. I won't be wearing a tie, but I will be wearing something nice that meets the dress code. If someone else is "under dressed", it doesn't bother me at all. I support the idea of wearing what you feel comfortable in and not worrying about what everyone else thinks. I also find it very difficult to believe that anyone would frown upon or make fun of someone that is "over dressed". Did someone explicitly say something or is this just what you believe someone was thinking?

I also wonder if Celebrity communicates dress code effectively to guests before embarking? I've already paid for my cruise in full and haven't seen any mention of dress code or other expectations on board from Celebrity. The last cruise I was on was much more casual and had only a couple formal nights. It seems to me that before embarkation would be the only time you can really educate guests on what's expected. I imagine it would be very difficult to enforce dress code on board since it's so subjective.

1)

2) As for the tacky comment, I took the comment: "Things change. And what was once seen as elegant can now seem tacky" to mean that what was seen as elegant many years ago, could now be seen as tacky.

So that bridesmaid dress you wore in a wedding in 1988 or 1995 may have been very elegant at the time, but to wear that same dress today would be seen as tacky by some.

I, too, thought that's what was implied from ehfi's post. To be quite honest, to use a young girl's post to exploit one's point of view is hardly elegant in any way, shape or form ;). Not once did ehfi refer to any 'particular' pictures or CC replies in her post.

To the young lady concerned, I'm sure you are aware that the the majority of CC posters would not have construed the post in the way it was stated in post #76 above - you're a law graduate so you'll have perfect understanding of the way in which words can be twisted to suit one's own criteria ;).

I will continue to dress the way I always have on our cruises, and I think the majority of cruisers will probably do the same.

Edited by villauk

Oh my dear' date=' believe me, there is no worrying! And the whining is not done by the "dress up" folks, they are very happy and content enjoying their cruise in style. ( I know I know, "style" is relevant")

[/quote']

This is utter nonsense and you know it is. This board has been flooded with whining about the discontinuance of formal night from the moment it was announced. And BTW, I don't know who exactly the "dress up folks" are but I will tell you that on my cruise in January, I wore a jacket every night and a suit on chic night and I felt great - does that make me a "dress up folk"? Either way, you won't find me moaning about what others wear or trying to make some futile case that this what the people want - most don't and most cannot understand why you and others whining about the new chic night can't accept that.

This board has been flooded with whining about the discontinuance of formal night from the moment it was announced.

Actually, in comparison, no. This board as been flooded with whining about the elimination of daily bottled water in Aqua class from the moment it was eliminated.

I have no problem with eliminating formal night. I have a problem with people ignoring Celebrity's rules and wearing flip flops, Levis, tee shirts, baseball caps, and other similar garb to dinner as an interpretation of smart casual and elegant chic. Yes, I have seen it in the MDR and Blu and specialty restaurants. Celebrity should enforce their rules (which they don't) and turn these people away until they are attired properly in compliance with Celebrity rules.

I for one, enjoy elegance, but define it in a very different way than the OP.

Elegance is sailing past San Marco with a glass of Prosecco & lovely classical music playing. Elegance is early morning turkish coffee in Turkey, elegance is greeting the gentleman in shorts & a tee shirt with the same respect as the gentleman in the bespoke tuxedo... even though you might have more in common with the man in the Tux or vice versa. Elegance is being warm & witty & welcoming. :)

I for one, enjoy elegance, but define it in a very different way than the OP.

Elegance is sailing past San Marco with a glass of Prosecco & lovely classical music playing. Elegance is early morning turkish coffee in Turkey, elegance is greeting the gentleman in shorts & a tee shirt with the same respect as the gentleman in the bespoke tuxedo... even though you might have more in common with the man in the Tux or vice versa. Elegance is being warm & witty & welcoming. :)

Nice. Very nice. :)

My family and I love dressing up for Formal Nights. I am 21, my sister is 18 and my parents are in their late 40's early 50's. We have noticed that the dress code depends on where you are sailing, and we were actually disappointed on the last Celebrity cruise (Caribbean 2013) that not many people dressed up on formal night.

We don't go over the top but my Dad always wears his Dinner Jacket and my Mum, sister and I wear dresses.

Although long dresses are often out the question, (i feel out of place as no-one wears them anymore!) we always try and co-ordinate!

I wouldn't call this super formal but i still feel overdressed compared to some people!!!!

549005_10200529844383587_1864055200_n.jpg?oh=ce2cdf6bd786469014555e58f746ba4b&oe=573277A5

What an absolutely beautiful family!

God bless!