$20.00 surcharge for Lobster Tail???

Cruisefriends

If you guys had ever eaten a lobster in Maine you wouldn't pay anything extra for an overcooked soggy lobster tail on any ship.

After eating the real thing straight from the ocean I'll never eat one that's been frozen and served on a ship again!

Yes, they charge for the lobster now.

And what is your point exactly? Everybody isn't a Maine Yankee. Hello

I love all of the lobster snobs on this thread ! I am surrounded by the Great Lakes, the largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth,and home to some best fresh water fish in the world. I regularly eat perch, walleye, salmon, white fish , etc. that I have caught 2-3 hours prior. I don't compare this fish to every fish meal I eat on a cruise ship or almost anywhere else. You can't, it doesn't compare. Nothing beats fresh, but it does not make the other fish bad, just not as good. I still enjoy fish on the ship and other places.

Exactly. This is the point I was trying to make with my lobster comparisons, but I think you did a better job of it.

:oAnd just so y'all know, I wasn't trying to be a "lobster snob" (hope I wasn't being included in that number), but rather the opposite, in trying to point out the fallacy of this statement:

"If you guys had ever eaten a lobster in Maine you wouldn't pay anything extra for an overcooked soggy lobster tail on any ship."

By mentioning that I had, indeed, had very fresh Maine lobster, and will, indeed still pay extra for less-than-fresh lobster on a cruise.

Edited by ShakyBeef

If you guys had ever eaten a lobster in Maine you wouldn't pay anything extra for an overcooked soggy lobster tail on any ship.

After eating the real thing straight from the ocean I'll never eat one that's been frozen and served on a ship again!

Straight FROM the ocean??? That isn't fresh!!!

I put on a scuba outfit and dive down with my underwater stove and pot. I get a lobster to swim in the pot and then I quickly put the lid on and fire up the underwater stove. As it is cooking I get out my utensils and Wile E. Coyote Bib and get prepped. The exact second the lobster is done cooking I start chowing down.

You cannot get any fresher!!!

Once you have it this way you would never want to eat a lobster that has been removed from the ocean. That is not even close to fresh!!!

:D:D:D

Free or $20, the real question is why are you looking to eat a cockroach from the ocean?

If you were standing next a dumpster filled to the brim and a 2' long cockroach or spider or scorpion climbed out, would your first thoughts be "I'm so GOING TO EAT it"?

Lobsters/crabs/shrimp are the bugs of the ocean and they're bottom dwellers. Their world is rife with the excrement of all the life of the ocean + any waste our species wantonly discards/pumps into the ocean.

Be and ware. We are what we eat.

Is it you that keeps posting this, or are there multiple people that use the same exact wording every time someone mentions lobster on here?

I'm pretty sure lobsters don't come out of the trash. If there was such a thing as a 2' long scorpion and it didn't come out of a dumpster I would certainly consider eating it if it tasted like lobster....after I finished screaming and peeing myself.

Exactly. This is the point I was trying to make with my lobster comparisons, but I think you did a better job of it.

:oAnd just so y'all know, I wasn't trying to be a "lobster snob" (hope I wasn't being included in that number), but rather the opposite, in trying to point out the fallacy of this statement:

"If you guys had ever eaten a lobster in Maine you wouldn't pay anything extra for an overcooked soggy lobster tail on any ship."

By mentioning that I had, indeed, had very fresh Maine lobster, and will, indeed still pay extra for less-than-fresh lobster on a cruise.

Haha, I did NOT include you among the lobster snobs! LOL !!:D

Is it you that keeps posting this' date=' or are there multiple people that use the same exact wording every time someone mentions lobster on here?

I'm pretty sure lobsters don't come out of the trash. If there was such a thing as a 2' long scorpion and it didn't come out of a dumpster I would certainly consider eating it if it tasted like lobster....after I finished screaming and peeing myself.

:D:pLOL Seriously, best laugh I've had in days. Thanks for that image.:p

How do the handle this with ships that don't have a steak house?

I will be on the Elation in a couple weeks. Should I also see the $20 option on the menu?

I am not crazy about lobster anyway, but do they offer any other choices for an extra surcharge?

They do have the steakhouse selections on cruises without steakhouses. This is a way for persons who want the "finer" selections to have them without making their entire party go to the steakhouse, or to have them on ships without steakhouses.

I'm sorry, I didn't take any pics of the steakhouse selections on my last cruise, but I'm sure someone on here could help you out with what the selections are.

BTW .. they are available every night in the MDR.

Free or $20, the real question is why are you looking to eat a cockroach from the ocean?

If you were standing next a dumpster filled to the brim and a 2' long cockroach or spider or scorpion climbed out, would your first thoughts be "I'm so GOING TO EAT it"?

Lobsters/crabs/shrimp are the bugs of the ocean and they're bottom dwellers.

For all that they're giant seabugs, lobsters are freaking delicious.

There used to be a kind of stigma around eating lobster, because it was considered a "poor-man's food:" fishermen would bring the ones stuck in the nets home for their families to eat, because they couldn't sell them. My father-in-law has told me stories of how kids at his school would be mortified to have a lobster sandwich in their lunchbox. It's really only been 100 years or so that it has become a delicacy.

And thus ends today's North Atlantic culinary history lesson.

I love all of the lobster snobs on this thread ! I am surrounded by the Great Lakes, the largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth,and home to some best fresh water fish in the world. I regularly eat perch, walleye, salmon, white fish , etc. that I have caught 2-3 hours prior. I don't compare this fish to every fish meal I eat on a cruise ship or almost anywhere else. You can't, it doesn't compare. Nothing beats fresh, but it does not make the other fish bad, just not as good. I still enjoy fish on the ship and other places.

Yes! I miss lake perch and smelt! Grew up by Lake Michigan and ate fresh fish all the time. Yum.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I can't justify 20 bucks for lobster that's chewy and rubbery. Lobster and crab legs have to be cooked just perfect or they turn out to be a soggy nightmare. Never have I gotten lobster on a cruise that was perfect. EVER. I'll stick with basic MDR and save the seafood for when I get home!

I can't justify 20 bucks for lobster that's chewy and rubbery. Lobster and crab legs have to be cooked just perfect or they turn out to be a soggy nightmare. Never have I gotten lobster on a cruise that was perfect. EVER. I'll stick with basic MDR and save the seafood for when I get home!

Their Steakhouse lobsters were cooked to perfection. And if they weren't, you could always send them back. I did that with my filet one night. It was way over cooked.

Hint - don't order from the Steakhouse on the last night as that's when they are the busiest. Just so happened that's the night of the mishap with my steak. Our waiter said they are always slammed on the last night.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I've never ordered the Steakhouse selections from the MDR, but I've eaten the lobster at the Steakhouse at least 3 times, now. Only once was it not cooked as perfectly as possible (given that it's frozen), and even that time it wasn't overcooked enough to send it back, IMO, so I ate it and still enjoyed it.

I don't see me buying the upcharge items, either, although I think it's great that the option is there. I'll just go to the Steakhouse and get the whole meal upgraded, not just the entree.;)

We got two coupons for a complementary steakhouse entree for use in the dining room last month. One of us had steak and the other lobster. I thought the quality of both items was excellent.

Yep. That happened to my travel mates. So since they got that, figured I would try it even though I had to pay. We were hooked.

The way I figure, I can have Filet Mignon twice in the MDR for practically the cost of 1 night in the Steakhouse so I'll keep doing it that way. Plus I don't need all that extra food and I always enjoy the MDR.

Is this true? We are sailing on the Freedom in 45 days!! I was reviewing the menus and think this is what I saw.

So 5 days or more Carnival cruises have lobster included on cruise elegant night in the main dining room. And 4 night or shorter cruises lobster is not included on cruise elegant night in the main dining room. That's the new standard on Carnival Cruise Line. If that is unacceptable, your options are to pay an upcharge in the main dining room on the shorter cruises, book a longer cruise, or book your Carnival cruise on a ship that has a steakhouse which charges an upcharge and the menu has an option that includes lobster.

Or book a more expensive cruise line....

Pay for what's important to you!

So 5 days or more Carnival cruises have lobster included on cruise elegant night in the main dining room. And 4 night or shorter cruises lobster is not included on cruise elegant night in the main dining room.

No. Five night cruises no longer have lobster. It's 6 night or longer cruises. We cruised the Triumph for 5 nights in January and there was no lobster.

On the Magic now and we had lobster on Monday night.

If you could hit like on this I would. Being from New England I agree!