Purchasing OBC Prior to cruise vs credit card hold

FlyingFishy

If you purchase a large sum of OBC prior to your cruise (say, $1,000) will a hold of $840 be placed on your credit/debit card upon check-in for your onboard account (2 people, 7 day cruise)?

Thanks!

Edited by FlyingFishy

If you purchase a large sum of OBC prior to your cruise (say, $1,000) will a hold of $840 be placed on your credit/debit card upon check-in for your onboard account (2 people, 7 day cruise)?

Thanks!

If you have OBC that exceeds, or at least comes close to the $840 you do not have to register a credit card at all. Just select the cash option when you do your documents.

When you check in, the representative will ask you if you wish to register a Card, just tell them you have sufficient OBC and they will let you proceed.

Some time that afternoon or the next morning go by the front desk to make sure all your credit is applied - I usually get a print out right away. You might also have cards in your cabin showing your purchased OBC. Sometimes the cards need to be signed and returned to the front desk.

As long as you don't exceed the OBC you have, the excess will be refunded. You can finalize your bill as early as about 10pm on the last night. If you have the Signature Beverage Package it should still work, but no other purchases can be made unless you then register a card. If you don't have a card registered your refund will be in cash.

If you have OBC that exceeds, or at least comes close to the $840 you do not have to register a credit card at all.

I've read this here on CC many times but on the Eurodam last November, we got letters in our cabin part way into the cruise telling us to come to the front desk to register our credit cards. No amount of explaining that we had booked all our excursions, PG meal, soda cards, etc. before hand and still had in excess of the $420 each in gifted and pre-purchased OBC would satisfy them. They said they weren't saying we would run up any charges on the last day but this was just to protect them - ???. We told them we were honest and wouldn't do such a thing and never did give them our credit card info.

Ironically, DS was under-charged on one of the Lido deck sales (2 shirts for $20 and another for $10 - they only put $20 on his on-board account) and he brought it to their attention because he's honest. They were quick to investigate the mistake and set it right, of course, but still wanted our credit card numbers.

And, oh, BTW - at the end of the cruise we were refunded over $350 between us in unused pre-purchased OBC.

I've read this here on CC many times but on the Eurodam last November, we got letters in our cabin part way into the cruise telling us to come to the front desk to register our credit cards. No amount of explaining that we had booked all our excursions, PG meal, soda cards, etc. before hand and still had in excess of the $420 each in gifted and pre-purchased OBC would satisfy them. They said they weren't saying we would run up any charges on the last day but this was just to protect them - ???. We told them we were honest and wouldn't do such a thing and never did give them our credit card info.

Ironically, DS was under-charged on one of the Lido deck sales (2 shirts for $20 and another for $10 - they only put $20 on his on-board account) and he brought it to their attention because he's honest. They were quick to investigate the mistake and set it right, of course, but still wanted our credit card numbers.

And, oh, BTW - at the end of the cruise we were refunded over $350 between us in unused pre-purchased OBC.

I have done this on many cruises, at least 7 or 8, the last being on the Oosterdam last Thanksgiving (Nov 16 - 27). I have never been asked to register a card. I will see what happens in April when I leave again. This may just be another case of different ships, different policies.

I have done this on many cruises, at least 7 or 8, the last being on the Oosterdam last Thanksgiving (Nov 16 - 27). I have never been asked to register a card. I will see what happens in April when I leave again. This may just be another case of different ships, different policies.

This was a first for us, too - we got in the practice of doing this a few cruises ago after post-cruise charges kept showing up on our credit card accounts. I don't know why things were different this time, but they were - we never did provide the CC numbers and they did not put us off the ship!:)

Our cruise on the Volendam last May I had a considerable amount of ship board credit because HAL had offered us a DOWN Sell due to over selling the suites. We had the Explore4 and had pre-purchased shore excursions so other than going to the Spa a few times and the gratuities we had a quite a bit of money coming back. I had registered my credit card and never once was there a hold on it. I want to say when if there is a considerable amount of ship board credit they do NOT do a hold of any kind.

I have seen a couple of discussions here about buying OBC before a cruise, and I just don't understand why people would do it. I am sure you must have a reason, it is just beyond my understanding. I would much rather my credit card be charged than to have to deal with getting a refund.

I have seen a couple of discussions here about buying OBC before a cruise, and I just don't understand why people would do it. I am sure you must have a reason, it is just beyond my understanding. I would much rather my credit card be charged than to have to deal with getting a refund.

Everyone has their own reasons. For me, I like getting off the ship and having everything finished. I could leave the money in a checking or savings account but there is no interest currently being paid, so giving it to HAL acts as a savings account.

When I get on the ship, I don't have to give a Card number, so nothing to place a hold against and another place for errors. Before I get off the ship I get a refund, which has only taken a minute or two, and that provides me with pocket money on the way home and more.

And, as I believe someone else mentioned, there is no problem with additional charges that seem to randomly appear on Card statements. When I get off the ship all bills are paid.

If you are worried about Credit Card points or miles, the OBC can be purchased with the same Credit Card that you would use to pay off the account, but you would get credit for the entire amount of the OBC, not just what you spend.

Any number of reasons could apply.

There are many reason why people purchase the OBC in advance, I see it daily talking to people but to give you a few reasons.

1. there are many out there that do not have a credit card, some have chose over the years to get rid of credit cards while others cannot get one for other reasons. Many of those that do not have a credit card use a checking account debit card and may not have excess funds in the account to place large holds on that account.

2 Good Budgeting, lots of people over the last few years have learned to budget and save and by pre-purchasing the shipboard credit they know they have it paid for in what they plan to spend.

3. Over the last 8 years credit card companies have decreased limited and many just because you did not use the card much. Even if you have perfect credit and do not use the card it is still outstanding liability for the banks so many have gone and decreased the limits. One of my dual careers is banking and I am a loan underwriter for auto loans by day ;) Extending credit is not what it use to be and there are some changes coming once again but that is another subject.

4. For security reasons some do not like to carry or use numerous credit cards. Over the last few years I myself have closed many of my cards when they got paid off and only have a few cards but I am heading to Europe in less than 60 days and only plan to bring two cards. One that I will use and one for a back up. I did purchase a bit of OBC for the cruise that way it frees my card up in case of an emergency such as having to fly home and spend thousands on plane tickets if something was to happen.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with planning and paying in advance, both ways are good and everyone's situation is different.

Everyone has their own reasons. For me, I like getting off the ship and having everything finished. I could leave the money in a checking or savings account but there is no interest currently being paid, so giving it to HAL acts as a savings account.

When I get on the ship, I don't have to give a Card number, so nothing to place a hold against and another place for errors. Before I get off the ship I get a refund, which has only taken a minute or two, and that provides me with pocket money on the way home and more.

And, as I believe someone else mentioned, there is no problem with additional charges that seem to randomly appear on Card statements. When I get off the ship all bills are paid.

If you are worried about Credit Card points or miles, the OBC can be purchased with the same Credit Card that you would use to pay off the account, but you would get credit for the entire amount of the OBC, not just what you spend.

Rich, you have some good points too :) I do get extra miles when I purchase my ship board credit in advance :D Also I could be wrong here but pretty sure that I am getting Extra Mariner days too ;)

Please don't feel that you need to stop expressing your opinion. You have as much right as anyone else to post how you feel.

Please don't feel that you need to stop expressing your opinion. You have as much right as anyone else to post how you feel.

Thank you Cruz Chic! Although this time, I was really just seeking information. And I found out what I needed.

There are many reason why people purchase the OBC in advance, I see it daily talking to people but to give you a few reasons.

1. there are many out there that do not have a credit card, some have chose over the years to get rid of credit cards while others cannot get one for other reasons. Many of those that do not have a credit card use a checking account debit card and may not have excess funds in the account to place large holds on that account.

2 Good Budgeting, lots of people over the last few years have learned to budget and save and by pre-purchasing the shipboard credit they know they have it paid for in what they plan to spend.

3. Over the last 8 years credit card companies have decreased limited and many just because you did not use the card much. Even if you have perfect credit and do not use the card it is still outstanding liability for the banks so many have gone and decreased the limits. One of my dual careers is banking and I am a loan underwriter for auto loans by day ;) Extending credit is not what it use to be and there are some changes coming once again but that is another subject.

4. For security reasons some do not like to carry or use numerous credit cards. Over the last few years I myself have closed many of my cards when they got paid off and only have a few cards but I am heading to Europe in less than 60 days and only plan to bring two cards. One that I will use and one for a back up. I did purchase a bit of OBC for the cruise that way it frees my card up in case of an emergency such as having to fly home and spend thousands on plane tickets if something was to happen.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with planning and paying in advance, both ways are good and everyone's situation is different.

All very good points Lisa :). #2 suits us along with the fact that the purchase at the right time can add up to huge savings for we Canadians if our dollar is in a downward spiral. ;)

All very good points Lisa :). #2 suits us along with the fact that the purchase at the right time can add up to huge savings for we Canadians if our dollar is in a downward spiral. ;)

Just remember as has been discussed before, the cruise line can choose to cancel this pre bought obc (see recent examples on ncl forum) and choose to rebate which can cause a loss if the currency exchange has moved against you. Just a small thing for non Americans to keep in mind

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Just remember as has been discussed before, the cruise line can choose to cancel this pre bought obc (see recent examples on ncl forum) and choose to rebate which can cause a loss if the currency exchange has moved against you. Just a small thing for non Americans to keep in mind

I don't think the scenario is the same, but should HAL choose to do so, I would be making $. ;)

I have never had HAL cancel pre-purchased obc in all my cruises.

The risk is the same if I opt to cancel tours, dinners, etc. It works for us :)

I don't think the scenario is the same, but should HAL choose to do so, I would be making $. ;)

I have never had HAL cancel pre-purchased obc in all my cruises.

The risk is the same if I opt to cancel tours, dinners, etc. It works for us :)

Some Canadian cruisers on ncl recently purchased $5000 obc and ncl cancelled $4000, apparently the lost a lot on the conversion.

I had a tiny loss on a dinner Hal cancelled. Personally I am still happy to pre book dinners, excursions etc as the risk of cancellation is small compared to missing out on what you want but I personally would not purchase obc in advance. But of course to each their own.

This is why the forums are so valuable, different views, experiences and advice help us make better decisions[emoji851]

Some Canadian cruisers on ncl recently purchased $5000 obc and ncl cancelled $4000, apparently the lost a lot on the conversion.

I had a tiny loss on a dinner Hal cancelled. Personally I am still happy to pre book dinners, excursions etc as the risk of cancellation is small compared to missing out on what you want but I personally would not purchase obc in advance. But of course to each their own.

This is why the forums are so valuable, different views, experiences and advice help us make better decisions[emoji851]

Yes, they purchased because of the lower exchange rate and, sadly, those that took advantage of it to make money with no intention of spending it on the ship ruined it for the rest as I understand it - why I said it was a different scenario.

And yes, each must do what is right for them. Absolutely ;) I don't see any difference between pre-purchasing dinners, excursion, beverage cards or obc - risk is the same if you have to cancel ;)

This post explains what was going on with some cruisers on NCL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48970786&postcount=8

Very unfortunate for the innocent ones who got caught in it but to me it makes sense that in those circumstances NCL might impose a limit.

>SNIP<

We too really enjoy knowing everything is paid for when we leave the ship. Also agree about the points, getting points in advance of our travel sometimes helps with land expenses pre-cruise.

This post explains what was going on with some cruisers on NCL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48970786&postcount=8

Very unfortunate for the innocent ones who got caught in it but to me it makes sense that in those circumstances NCL might impose a limit.

Thanks for posting that cowprincess, I never saw the bragging (stupid) but in reading that whole thread my point still stands, there is a risk (albeit small) that your pre purchased obc could be cancelled (along with all other purchases) thus costing you money in your home currency.

Please don't misread me I am not anti purchasing obc, only providing one issue (amongst many) that should be considered. The advantage to booking an excursion is you don't miss out, purchasing obc is not the same but if it makes others more comfortable (or they don't have credit cards) makes complete sense.