Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

I have also noticed that relaxation area on deck 11 on the deck plan - I assumed it was for the spa, perhaps for before or after spa treatments. Happy to see it's for anyone's use, and not busy! Thanks for noting that, that's brilliant. Will keep it quiet on my cruise though - too much risk of others cottoning on! So is it just accessed by walking all the way forward on deck 11?

We had this cruise booked but cancelled it because I couldn't face the very long flights each way. Instead, we booked Millennium Singapore to Vancouver. I will be very interested in you posts later in the cruise as we visit some of the same ports, Bali, Darwin, Cairns, Brisbane and Sydney. Sure do appreciate all the time you are taking from your cruise in putting this blog together.

Edited by TeaBag

Popped back to my room..... there's quite a line of people on the pier waiting to go through customs; will wait until the last minute to join it. My friend is meeting me at 1000. Or shall I wait for them to call me out? ;) B2B have a 0930 cutoff to check out the first cruise.

I can see a dog handler working the queue. I was told that the ship is also fined if a passenger is found to be removing ship food items which is why they really are repeating those bio-security warnings at each port. And a reason for the absence of fresh bananas in the Oceanview. People pop them in their bags to go. Whole apples are another issue....

My drinks card is still good for coffee at Cafe al Bacio.

I have also noticed that relaxation area on deck 11 on the deck plan - I assumed it was for the spa, perhaps for before or after spa treatments. Happy to see it's for anyone's use, and not busy! Thanks for noting that, that's brilliant. Will keep it quiet on my cruise though - too much risk of others cottoning on! So is it just accessed by walking all the way forward on deck 11?

Yes. Access is via the room corridor on either side of the spa access.

We had this cruise booked but cancelled it because I couldn't face the very long flights each way. Instead, we booked Millennium Singapore to Vancouver. I will be very interested in you posts later in the cruise as we visit some of the same ports, Bali, Darwin, Cairns, Brisbane and Sydney. Sure do appreciate all the time you are taking from your cruise in putting this blog together.

Thanks and to everyone for all your positive feedback.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Linda,

Thank you for your fantastic and informative blog, I have devoured your sojourn in its entirety to date since joining CC today! As a rank amateur to the world of cruising I have gained so much from your blog, particularly since we will be doing the reverse cruise (SYD-AKL) in Nov.

Keep it up and enjoy the remainder of your trip.

I go out for the day and come back to all this approbation. A girl could get used to this!!

Amazing effort! Thank you so much. I feel I have hardly any questions left!

What do you mean HARDLY ANY??? ;)

Give me a question PLEASE. I've plans for new stuff to post this cruise but would love input!! :D

My friends (met them on a cruise last year and have stayed in touch on FB......had an amazing time) took me out and about in Perth and Fremantle today. What lovely cities. Glorious parks, super views and golden beaches. I did the walkabout thing on my own after lunch too. Had lunch in a lovely restaurant away from the centre but with a super wholefood ethos and GF cake!!!!

Loved the welcome back from the staff at Cafe al Baccio.

PS. I got a battery for my watch today. Won't have to schlep my kindle everywhere to know what the time is.

I couldn't get a replacement screen for my Nokia Lumia 930 phone. Could someone in Sydney let me know if there's anywhere there I can get this replaced please.....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I think there are a lot of us that look forward to opening CC and seeing some new posts. Your photos and commentary have been great. You have a positive outlook, but you have mentioned a couple of not perfect things. Balance is good.

I wanted to ask a couple more questions, while reserving the right to ask more later :) Thank you for the questions you have already answered along the way.

Firstly, your cabin. I went back and looked again at the cabin photo, and was pleased originally to see the good size couch. I don't like the "love seats" on RCI which are kind of one and a half seats. We do like to be able to sit and relax in the cabin sometimes. I saw on some photos on a deck plan type website that some interior cabins on Solstice had a single chair plus the desk chair you have, and I am guessing they might be accessible/disabled rooms? Is your couch typical of the inside stateroom, and have you enjoyed your location? Was it quiet?

Secondly, the next leg will have a lot of sea days, so while you have done great photos of port days, and a lot of info about meals and areas of the ship (which have been great too!), would you consider doing some about the sea day activities if possible. We have looked at your upcoming itinerary and we have been concerned about too many sea days for our personal preference. Everyone has different tastes. It is not right or wrong, just personal preference.

We have done Solstice to the South Pacific and around New Zealand back in 2014, and your photos have reminded us of how much we enjoyed Solstice. We have done a few RCI ones since (including NZ again), and have been wondering if we have made a mistake at aiming for D+, as we had the reciprocal Elite on Celebrity and have been maybe a bit spoilt by Celebrity. We thought D+ was worth aiming for, but are not sure now.

Glad you had a nice day in Perth. You have been very lucky with great weather for many of your ports. We boarded Radiance once in Perth, and went a few days earlier and it was 37 - 38c and not great for sightseeing. I am very pleased when someone has taken such an effort to come a long way and the weather is nice for them. :D

I couldn't get a replacement screen for my Nokia Lumia 930 phone. Could someone in Sydney let me know if there's anywhere there I can get this replaced please.....

Well, I am not in Sydney, I am in Germany. But last year I stayed at a hotel near the World Square in Sydney and remember seeing phone repair shops all around the area. I think I walked past this one: http://www.fonefix.com.au/sydney/pittstreet

It is located near Hyde Park and you can get there by city train from Circular Quay (exit Museum station).

Well, I am not in Sydney, I am in Germany. But last year I stayed at a hotel near the World Square in Sydney and remember seeing phone repair shops all around the area. I think I walked past this one: http://www.fonefix.com.au/sydney/pittstreet

It is located near Hyde Park and you can get there by city train from Circular Quay (exit Museum station).

They're all over the city. Tha one is probably a 10 min walk.

Here's the map and itinerary for the cruise which starts tomorrow. Am meeting a friend made on a cruise last year tomorrow in Fremantle..... I think I may have scuppered her plans.... I have a watch battery to locate and fit and maybe sort out the screen on my mobile phone. Sigh.

Cruise2Itinerary.jpg

RouteMapcruise2.jpg

This is a cruise I would like to do but Celebrity are not doing these "top end cruises" anymore going by their website. They seem to be changing and doing Great Barrier Reef cruises or "bottom end with New Zealand" instead for 2017 & 2018. I have emailed them twice in the past couple of weeks to ask about it but I have not had a reply at all.

Loving your review Linda, your photos are really great. You showcased my home town of Melbourne really well with lots of interesting information. Tourism Australia needs to hire you. :) I agree with you re the gluten free options, they really need to lift their game as so many people have intolerance's these days (not just gluten) and they need some variety and imagination with their food as well. We pay the same amount for a cruise, so it would be nice to have some choice as well. We do understand that not every intolerance can be catered for but there should be some good options available. They are getting better these days. I can only imagine what it would have been like 10 years ago.

Back from dinner at Tuscan Grill..... half price and extremely good value at that. Service is a little bit over the top. I had a seat next to the aft looking windows, apparently the best seat in the house. Not too long after some people sat at the table behind me..... at the best seat in the house so they were told....!!!

When I got back to my room earlier there was a bucket full of ice on the coffee table. And in that ice a large bottle of champagne. No card. Investigations are under way.

Goodycruising : the location is great. Quiet yet extremely well located for lifts, Guest Services, stairs etc. I'd actually quite like to hear the music being played just around the corner in the foyer but can't. The inside room next to mine has the sofa but the bed is against the far wall instead of the side wall as mine is. I chose this room as a friend had had it previously and I liked the idea of the bed aligning with the direction of travel if that makes sense. I don't know if some insides rate higher than others...... this one is a 12 I think.....

As far as sea day activities are concerned I'm struggling to upload the .pdfs I'm being sent. I got as far as the 24th Feb then it's been a fail ever since. I have them all here to upload and promise to do so when I get home..... that way you will see all the activities of every day. There's plenty on. I'll do a summary of tomorrow's for you tomorrow. I'm not a great one for more than the occasional trivia. There's karaoke in the evening. Lots of fitness stuff. I think there's a walk a mile group every morning quite early.

AntjeG / GUT2407 Thank you so much. The Fremantle shops looked at me blankly when I said I had a Nokia. I've dropped that Pitt St shop an email. x

One_plus_one I'm not in the least surprised that you've not had a reply. I don't think they can handle specifics..... even when you get on board it takes some tries to get the answers..... am struggling to get info on shuttle transfers in Brisbane as we'll be docked miles out of town..... have finally had confirmation that there will indeed be a shuttle service....now I have to go back and ask how much? where does it drop off? when is the last one back? etc etc..... never all the information needed in one go..... and you can believe me when I say I tried to ascertain this pre-cruise. Sigh.

Back from dinner at Tuscan Grill..... half price and extremely good value at that. Service is a little bit over the top. I had a seat next to the aft looking windows, apparently the best seat in the house. Not too long after some people sat at the table behind me..... at the best seat in the house so they were told....!!!

When I got back to my room earlier there was a bucket full of ice on the coffee table. And in that ice a large bottle of champagne. No card. Investigations are under way.

Goodycruising : the location is great. Quiet yet extremely well located for lifts, Guest Services, stairs etc. I'd actually quite like to hear the music being played just around the corner in the foyer but can't. The inside room next to mine has the sofa but the bed is against the far wall instead of the side wall as mine is. I chose this room as a friend had had it previously and I liked the idea of the bed aligning with the direction of travel if that makes sense. I don't know if some insides rate higher than others...... this one is a 12 I think.....

As far as sea day activities are concerned I'm struggling to upload the .pdfs I'm being sent. I got as far as the 24th Feb then it's been a fail ever since. I have them all here to upload and promise to do so when I get home..... that way you will see all the activities of every day. There's plenty on. I'll do a summary of tomorrow's for you tomorrow. I'm not a great one for more than the occasional trivia. There's karaoke in the evening. Lots of fitness stuff. I think there's a walk a mile group every morning quite early.

AntjeG / GUT2407 Thank you so much. The Fremantle shops looked at me blankly when I said I had a Nokia. I've dropped that Pitt St shop an email. x

One_plus_one I'm not in the least surprised that you've not had a reply. I don't think they can handle specifics..... even when you get on board it takes some tries to get the answers..... am struggling to get info on shuttle transfers in Brisbane as we'll be docked miles out of town..... have finally had confirmation that there will indeed be a shuttle service....now I have to go back and ask how much? where does it drop off? when is the last one back? etc etc..... never all the information needed in one go..... and you can believe me when I say I tried to ascertain this pre-cruise. Sigh.

I've been loving your review, can't believe how much you can fit into one day. And then come back and post it all here! I think you put some Aussies to shame with how much you see in our cities. Can I apologise in advance for the docking situation in Brisbane. You will be getting off a beautiful ship at the ugly container wharf and then have to pay for the privilege of getting back to town. It's embarrassing. Cruise ships should bypass Brisbane and go to the Gold Coast instead in my opinion. Oh wait, Gold Coast stupidly doesn't have a cruise terminal yet:confused:

Not sure if things have changed or not.....

But when we were on the Solstice in Aqua class we were told it was for the use of Aqua Class passengers and those using the spa.

It was rarely used during our trip so I am glad you have been making use of it.

Carol

But when we were on the Solstice in Aqua class we were told it was for the use of Aqua Class passengers and those using the spa.

Carol

I guess I'll find out if they kick me out! But it will be a great place to find a bit of respite. I'll be cruising with my elderly Mum this time (in a few weeks), and I love her dearly but it might get a bit much sometimes and this seems like the perfect place to hide for a while occasionally ;)

Carol

When we were in Solstice we were reciprocal Elite, and were in Concierge balcony, so not sure which on gave us access to Persian Gardens on port days, but we had some sort of access to the spa areas. Unfortunately the staff were very abrupt and while we were actually at their counter took no opportunity to sell us anything and barely explained where we could go. We will be finding out on our next cruise what we do actually have access to. That area looks very nice and quiet, and if we could have used it on a port day that would have been very nice!

I can't believe how much I have learnt from this blog! Not like we haven't done a similar trip on the same ship :D

I heard back from Fonefix (great response time!)

They are only open Monday - Friday. So used to 7 day business in the UK. I get in to Sydney on a Sunday. Monday going to the Blue Mountains all day. Tuesday I have an Opera House tour first thing then out with friends. Wednesday I'm off to Uluru and need to get to the airport really early....

Think I'll have to wait till I get back to the UK. Sigh.

They are only open Monday - Friday. So used to 7 day business in the UK. I get in to Sydney on a Sunday. Monday going to the Blue Mountains all day. Tuesday I have an Opera House tour first thing then out with friends. Wednesday I'm off to Uluru and need to get to the airport really early....

i guess that's because they are a cbd location so rely on business from office workers

They have a Bondi junction store open 10-4 on sunday

Also down here in Melbourne most major shopping centres have small businesses offering screen replacements on the spot maybe one of our sydney friends can advise the easiest to get to

You could always buy an Anne Klein watch on the ship (on sale of course!) ;) That will tide you over till you get home.

Try Bali, there will be plenty of little stalls/shops to repair any phone.:)

We've had the CC Connections Party this morning. Went very well I think. I raffled off the bottle of champagne I received last night. All the senior officers attended again and their taking time out was much appreciated. Captain Yannis and Hotel Director John-Paul spoke. We had a fun gift exchange with a different slant..... it was open a gift and then if someone who had opened a gift previously wanted it they could grab it. We had a gift over that someone had brought to the lunch last cruise and we decided to gift it to Brenda, the Group Coordinator on board. Will do that at the next lunch. Thanks to those who participated.

i guess that's because they are a cbd location so rely on business from office workers

They have a Bondi junction store open 10-4 on sunday

Also down here in Melbourne most major shopping centres have small businesses offering screen replacements on the spot maybe one of our sydney friends can advise the easiest to get to

Those small businesses I cam across previously looked blankly at me when I suggested the Nokia brand. Have reached out to the Bondi Junction Fonefix shop..... I know how to get there by bus!! Mind you I didn't really want to go back to the area again lol

You could always buy an Anne Klein watch on the ship (on sale of course!) ;) That will tide you over till you get home.

Hahahaha they had sales of $19.99 watches which I wouldn't wear if they were $5 to be honest. I'm good for the time now..... got a watch battery fitted in a Fremantle mall.

Carol

Friends of mine on board who are in an Aqua class room are missing their bottles of water.....

Am struggling to even get a screen shot of today's sea day activities to respond to a previous request. There's Trivia, loads of fitness classes, a Catholic Mass and they've included the Sabbath Service this evening in today's Daily; there's details of all the music going on around the ship, Canyon Ranch (Spa) activities, the boutique specials, a dance class out on deck, a rehearsal for a Flash Dance, a cookery demo, the Hot Glass Show (you do need to go to at least one of these), there's a sign-up for an Egg Drop Challenge, Casino activities and lessons, something called 'Are You Smarter Than A Ship's Officer?', a Ping Pong tournament, Bingo, talks in the theatre.... all before 6pm. Over 100 activities over the whole day.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Apologies for not finding the request but here are the current drink package prices per person :

Premium : $77 per day

Classic : $65pd

Standard : $55.10pd

Premium non-alcohol : $26pd

Classic non-alcohol : $22pd

Bottled water : $19pd

Soda : $11pd

Design your own wine package : 3 bottles or more each valued at more than $100 from any restaurant wine list and receive a 15% discount