I hate Zika Virus!

chnusa

Id just go and wear long sleeves if possible and load up in deet. Sure it's only a 7-8 trip with 2-3 sea days. Go and enjoy yourself.

NOT.. Even the cdc is saying not to travel if you are pregnant or planning on being pregnant. This is not a rumor that has taken off, this is a real medical issue to an unborn child.

NOT.. Even the cdc is saying not to travel if you are pregnant or planning on being pregnant. This is not a rumor that has taken off, this is a real medical issue to an unborn child.

Exactly.

Can you imagine the anxiety?

Actually, and I don't often say this, I think John Heald could be your best bet.

But a cruise anywhere sounds goo to me.

A lounge chair in the shade, a good book and someone else cooking...

If this helps, I cancelled my March cruise on RCCL due to Zika. They gave us a future credit for the non refundable portion of our paid fares and are giving us two years to book a cruise using it, so essentially we are getting almost 4 years to sail. I know you are trying to use an already existing credit but call them and tell them that the competitor is giving their customers two years to book, not just sail. It can't hurt to try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yours is a new situation. They are already almost to the end of their need to sail time.

I am so totally amazed at people telling the OP to just go and stay on the ship. I never knew that mosquitos knew to stay off ships. There must be signs on the doors to the Lido and at the gangways. How ridiculous to tell someone to take a chance with her baby.

OP,

I know I wouldn't want to lose the money for the voucher and hopefully Carnival will extend the time for you, but if it were me and it meant losing the money or taking a chance with my baby, there would be no choice.

I think everyone is missing one obvious option.

Go on the cruise and just don't get off the ship (7 days at sea)

Except it's not actually at sea on port days and there are no invisible barriers that keep mosquitoes off of the Lido deck.

You may find this article interesting...makes way more sense...IMHO

GM WATCH: A report from the Argentine doctors’ organization, Physicians in the Crop-Sprayed Towns, challenges the theory that the Zika virus epidemic in Brazil is the cause of the increase in the birth defect microcephaly among newborns.

The increase in this birth defect, in which the baby is born with an abnormally small head and often has brain damage, was quickly linked to the Zika virus by the Brazilian Ministry of Health. However, according to the Physicians in the Crop-Sprayed Towns, the Ministry failed to recognise that in the area where most sick people live, a chemical larvicide that produces malformations in mosquitoes was introduced into the drinking water supply in 2014. This poison, Pyriproxyfen, is used in a State-controlled programme aimed at eradicating disease-carrying mosquitoes.

The Physicians added that the Pyriproxyfen is manufactured by Sumitomo Chemical, a Japanese “strategic partner” of Monsanto. Pyriproxyfen is a growth inhibitor of mosquito larvae, which alters the development process from larva to pupa to adult, thus generating malformations in developing mosquitoes and killing or disabling them. It acts as an insect juvenile hormone or juvenoid, and has the effect of inhibiting the development of adult insect characteristics (for example, wings and mature external genitalia) and reproductive development. It is an endocrine disruptor and is teratogenic (causes birth defects), according to the Physicians.

The Physicians commented: “Malformations detected in thousands of children from pregnant women living in areas where the Brazilian state added Pyriproxyfen to drinking water are not a coincidence, even though the Ministry of Health places a direct blame on the Zika virus for this damage.”

They also noted that Zika has traditionally been held to be a relatively benign disease that has never before been associated with birth defects, even in areas where it infects 75% of the population.

Larvicide the most likely culprit in birth defects

Pyriproxyfen is a relatively new introduction to the Brazilian environment; the microcephaly increase is a relatively new phenomenon. So the larvicide seems a plausible causative factor in microcephaly – far more so than GM mosquitoes, which some have blamed for the Zika epidemic and thus for the birth defects. There is no sound evidence to support the notion promoted by some sources that GM mosquitoes can cause Zika, which in turn can cause microcephaly. In fact, out of 404 confirmed microcephaly cases in Brazil, only 17 (4.2%) tested positive for the Zika virus.

Brazilian health experts agree Pyriproxyfen is chief suspect

The Argentine Physicians’ report, which also addresses the Dengue fever epidemic in Brazil, concurs with the findings of a separate report on the Zika outbreak by the Brazilian doctors’ and public health researchers’ organisation, Abrasco.

Abrasco also names Pyriproxyfen as a likely cause of the microcephaly. It condemns the strategy of chemical control of Zika-carrying mosquitoes, which it says is contaminating the environment as well as people and is not decreasing the numbers of mosquitoes. Abrasco suggests that this strategy is in fact driven by the commercial interests of the chemical industry, which it says is deeply integrated into the Latin American ministries of health, as well as the World Health Organization and the Pan American Health Organisation.

Abrasco names the British GM insect company Oxitec as part of the corporate lobby that is distorting the facts about Zika to suit its own profit-making agenda. Oxitec sells GM mosquitoes engineered for sterility and markets them as a disease-combatting product – a strategy condemned by the Argentine Physicians as “a total failure, except for the company supplying mosquitoes”.

That does make more sense then a bite from a mosquito that's been around for a long time and never had this result before. I hate it when they incite panic before they complete the process of checking things out. At this point I still wouldn't allow my pregnant daughter to travel there but I do wish they would figure out what is up and do it soon.

Manage the problem yourself! Get on the phone with Carnival NOW!!!

If it has been two weeks, something fell thru the cracks. Get on the PHONE NOW. Get a supervisor on the phone. If that does not work, get the supervisor's manager on the phone.

Manage this difficult situation yourself. DO NOT RELY on advise, good or bad, from anyone here. MANAGE it NOW>

OP, it sucks that you may loose your voucher....but consider the lifetime of potential misery you may put your child through. Consider the long-term effects of your decision and not just the short-term pleasure you would get on a cruise. Hopefully, your next crisis you post will be in trying to figure the best cruise for you, hubby, and a six month old....good luck and stress isn't good for the baby ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

[quote name='cincicruisers']NOT.. Even the cdc is saying not to travel if you are pregnant or planning on being pregnant. This is not a rumor that has taken off, this is a real medical issue to an unborn child.[/QUOTE]

Actually, scientists haven't even proven that this virus causes the birth defect microcephaly. It's only a working theory at this point. The CDC is just being overly cautious with its warning to pregnant women.