Upsell timing, negotiation, and obc

samisone

Hello,

Yesterday we received an upsell offer via phone call from our TA. It was from an Oceanview to a signature suite for 599.00 pp. Our cruise is about 55 days out. We feel a bit conflicted about our decision. Three questions.

1. How long is it, usually, before you receive a second offer (when should I give up hoping for a second offer)?

2. Is it possible to negotiate? For example, they come back with an offer of 499.00 pp and we say we'll take it if they throw in a signature beverage package. Or, we say we'll take it for 450.00.

3. When we booked, we got 280.00 obc. If we upgrade, will we lose that?

Thanks everyone!

Hello,

Yesterday we received an upsell offer via phone call from our TA. It was from an Oceanview to a signature suite for 599.00 pp. Our cruise is about 55 days out. We feel a bit conflicted about our decision. Three questions.

1. How long is it, usually, before you receive a second offer (when should I give up hoping for a second offer)?

2. Is it possible to negotiate? For example, they come back with an offer of 499.00 pp and we say we'll take it if they throw in a signature beverage package. Or, we say we'll take it for 450.00.

Thanks everyone!

You.do not lose any OBC if you take an upsell.

Upsell offers can come any time before sailing.. Usually closer to sailing around 3 weeks out or less. Whether you get another offer depends upon if that category remains open and if the upsell fairy sprinkles her dust on you..;)

Never heard anyone ask for a package to be thrown in. Highly doubt that would happen since you are getting a higher category at a discounted rate,,

There's no guarantee of a second offer, and waiting could mean someone else takes it (upsells are not offered to 'one at a time').

You can try to negotiate, might be successful if no one else takes them up on the offer.

No, you won't lose the OBC.

Wow, that the earliest upsell I've ever heard of. Usually they start at about a month out. You can try to negotiate. There no way to know if there will be other offers. That sounds like a decent offer to go from an oceanview to a signature suite on a longer cruise. Good luck!

I recommend that you follow thru a fake online booking for your cruise, and see how many cabins are left in the class they are offering you.

If there are many more, then you could wait, but if there are few, you may want to accept the offer.

There is no way to know how many of those cabins will be filled with guarantees and those would not be assigned yet.

Hello,

What is the current fare difference on HAL's website between your existing category and the lowest level Signature suite? That will tell you alot about whether or not the $599 offer is a good one. I like to pay only 1/3rd of the difference, but will go as high as 1/2 depending on the cruise itinerary and cabin's location.

Just FYI, taking this upsell will not earn you double Mariner "days", as you have to had booked a "suite" category originally.

We got the same upsell offer. After talking with HAL and a lot of discussion and calculating we decided to go for it. Called today (Saturday) but the office is closed. Sent a fax as they suggested, so now I have to wait till they respond or Monday morning to see if it is still available. Not good at waiting once I have made a decision.

We got the same upsell offer. After talking with HAL and a lot of discussion and calculating we decided to go for it. Called today (Saturday) but the office is closed. Sent a fax as they suggested, so now I have to wait till they respond or Monday morning to see if it is still available. Not good at waiting once I have made a decision.

I would call them instead of waiting for them to respond to your fax on Monday. I'm not good at waiting either :).

What is the current fare difference on HAL's website between your existing category and the lowest level Signature suite? That will tell you alot about whether or not the $599 offer is a good one. I like to pay only 1/3rd of the difference, but will go as high as 1/2 depending on the cruise itinerary and cabin's location.

Just FYI, taking this upsell will not earn you double Mariner "days", as you have to had booked a "suite" category originally.

I like your idea Dave. For the op's cruise I think the difference was $2604 btw the cheapest oceanview and the cheapest signature suite. One third would be about $867 so this seems like a decent deal.

If you want the upsell, take it.

If you do not take it, keep in mind you are not the only ones to whom it was offered.

Whomever speaks up first, gets it.

Decide for yourself what it is worth to you. Doesn't matter what someone else says it is worth to them.

Let us know what you decide.

Good Luck

Keep us updated on how you make out.

I also have never heard of anyone getting a Beverage Package either as part of an upsell.

I have never heard of a Beverage Package being part of an upsell.

Thanks everyone! Here is an update... though not much of one. We were on a day trip today so did not get time to call. We are discussing it over breakfast tomorrow. If they are sold by then, then it was just not meant to be. Thanks for the heads up about not receiving double mariner points. Right now, the perks we care about the most are priority tendering (3 tender ports) and the floor to ceiling windows. We are usually of the philosophy that a room is merely a place to sleep and shower, and that the real adventure happens outside your hotel room or stateroom. Even so, it is very tempting, especially because there are three of us and the upgrade will only be charged for two of us, bring the average cost down to 400 pp. Ahh! I can't decide! Will have to talk it out tomorrow morning. 😀

I thought that suites got priority tendering. The windows in the suite are floor to ceiling according to the Hal website, which would a big upgrade from the smaller Oceanview window.

Only Neptune suites (and 4 and 5 star mariner) have priority tendering. Yes the signature suites have floor to ceiling windows.