Taking your own bottles of wine onboard ???

TotallyAngelic

I don't think we were talking about drinking copious amounts, sneaking to cabins to fill up glasses etc. It's just someone in an inside asking a question because like everyone else they want to take a bottle of champagne but don't have the luxury of a balcony. It's not usually the people who worry enough to ask the question that are the issue; if they care enough to do that it necessarily follows that they aren't the sort to take advantage.

I understand that, my point is, the op asked if people would really know, if drinks were not bought on board and I answered yes, as usually it's quite obvious.

I was then illustrating that the prices are really good and the experience generally better buying it on board. I realise that they may not wish to consume large amounts, hence stating most are available by the glass.

Each to their own :)

I don't think we were talking about drinking copious amounts, sneaking to cabins to fill up glasses etc. It's just someone in an inside asking a question because like everyone else they want to take a bottle of champagne but don't have the luxury of a balcony. It's not usually the people who worry enough to ask the question that are the issue; if they care enough to do that it necessarily follows that they aren't the sort to take advantage.

Thank you ... you are right in that I wouldn't be wanting to take advantage. I was just wondering if there would be any point bringing bottles onto the ship if there was no where we could have a glass once in a while on the open deck. If my only option is to drink them in the cabin, staring at 4 walls, then I don't see the point personally in carrying them on. If you can buy Prosecco by the glass I will be quite happy. :D

Also the house white and red on Britannia were lovely (maybe I'm easily pleased) and they were quite cheap, about £15 a bottle I think. Not sure if they are on the whole fleet as they were an Olly Smith blend. We unexpectedly got a complimentary bottle for having an early table in a speciality restaurant in the first night and ended up drinking it most of the cruise!

Edited by Florry

I don't drink much these days but the cocktail of the day may be worth checking out. I sometimes picked one up and took it into a show. My other half found some very palatable wines for around £15 a bottle and the waiter will put them aside for the following night. There is also a self service wine facility in the buffet that offers a nice rose. If I ordered a procecco with my meal I very often took it out of the restaurant and nobody bothered. There were always lots of people in the public areas walking around with drinks.I would personally not take wine out of my room if I purchased it in port.There were always lots of staff around the room areas cleaning etc... as someone already mentioned p and o drinks prices are very reasonable and its a holiday after all.

Thank you ... you are right in that I wouldn't be wanting to take advantage. I was just wondering if there would be any point bringing bottles onto the ship if there was no where we could have a glass once in a while on the open deck. If my only option is to drink them in the cabin, staring at 4 walls, then I don't see the point personally in carrying them on. If you can buy Prosecco by the glass I will be quite happy. :D

We enjoy a tipple (or two) and a few nibbles while pottering around the cabin getting ready for the evening. You don't need a balcony for pre pre dinner drinks.;)

Do you usually carry the wine in your hand luggage when boarding or risk it in your suitcase?

Surely when boarding you need to put everything through X-ray scanners?

Ever since I put a wine box through the hole in the wall and spent the first couple of days washing wine soaked clothing I always take it in hand luggage..a small wheeled case.

All luggage is scanned.

You do not have to try and smuggle it on board.

Unless you turn up with a beer barrel, a couple of boxes of lager, and numerous bottles of wine no one will bat an eyelid.

I usually take a wine box..and hand luggage.anything you carry on board you have to be able to lift it up and put it through the scanner.

Ever since I put a wine box through the hole in the wall and spent the first couple of days washing wine soaked clothing I always take it in hand luggage..a small wheeled case.

All luggage is scanned.

You do not have to try and smuggle it on board.

Unless you turn up with a beer barrel, a couple of boxes of lager, and numerous bottles of wine no one will bat an eyelid.

I usually take a wine box..and hand luggage.anything you carry on board you have to be able to lift it up and put it through the scanner.

Thought there would be restrictions on amount of liquids you can take on board, like at airports.

My grateful thanks to everyone who has contributed to this enlightening thread.

It's been a quite few years since we've been on a P&O ship, so had been wondering what (if anything) was allowed to be taken on board nowadays?

All very informative, as so few cruise lines allow it nowadays.

We've already pre-booked a Commodore wine package, so that bit is largely sorted, but still thinking a nice long G&T out on the balcony or whilst dressing before dinner always goes down well. Cheers!;)

Peter.

Babs, I think the poster is referring to boarding at Southampton where the liquid restrictions do not apply. If you are on a fly cruise then obviously you can't take bottles on as hand luggage. I wouldn't risk packing it in hold luggage personally. We usually buy a couple of bottles of Pimms in Duty Free which we enjoy in warmer climates. You can't buy Pimms by the bottle on board, only by the glass and we like to have some in our cabin.

A few posters have said how reasonable drink prices are on board - can anyone tell me typically how much a gin& tonic, small draught beer and glass of house wine might be? Just planning how much I might spend! Thanks

A few posters have said how reasonable drink prices are on board - can anyone tell me typically how much a gin& tonic, small draught beer and glass of house wine might be? Just planning how much I might spend! Thanks

All about £4

Gordon's Gin £3 britvic tonic £1. Other brands at varying prices.

A pint £4

175 ml glass of house wine £3.95

P&O has there bar menus on their site

https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/PO_barlist.pdf

Menus for Britannia differ, they have a great G&T menu.

We are planning to take a box of wine from the airport once we have been through security. Great for those drinks on the balcony. We buy all other wine etc from the bars and restaurants. I do worry that if people try to cheat the system then P&O will change the policy and to be honest I wouldn't blame them.

TotallyAngelic

You are joking!!

Just play the game like most people.

Sorry .... not sure what you mean here ??? Joking about what ????

and what game should I be playing that I am obviously not aware of ?????

Just wanted some advice on what was and was not acceptable so I am afraid you have lost me with this comment ????

Babs, I think the poster is referring to boarding at Southampton where the liquid restrictions do not apply. If you are on a fly cruise then obviously you can't take bottles on as hand luggage. I wouldn't risk packing it in hold luggage personally. We usually buy a couple of bottles of Pimms in Duty Free which we enjoy in warmer climates. You can't buy Pimms by the bottle on board, only by the glass and we like to have some in our cabin.

Thanks for reply. We don't usually sail from Southampton assumed restrictions would apply like airports but will look forward to taking drinks with us for a change.