2/13 Freedom Departure Delayed

TXcruiser13

Cheers all,

We're currently on the Freedom and departure has been delayed until 6:30-7:00 pm tonight due to "a late arrival of a team member due to unforeseen circumstances".

We're slightly irritated, as we'll now miss sail away while eating dinner. Mostly we're just curious as to how high up of a member one has to be for them to delay departure by 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

Its understandable as an experienced cruiser to tell someone to just relax. But for people who cruise very rarely or for the first time, sail away is a really big part of the adventure. So please don't be so quick to write off a new poster for commenting on this topic. It's not helpful or friendly.

I posted not just to whine, but because I know as a longtime lurker here (see my start date) that fellow posters often have the inside scoop on issues such as this.

Cheers all,

We're currently on the Freedom and departure has been delayed until 6:30-7:00 pm tonight due to "a late arrival of a team member due to unforeseen circumstances".

We're slightly irritated, as we'll now miss sail away while eating dinner. Mostly we're just curious as to how high up of a member one has to be for them to delay departure by 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

Is John on the ship yet ????

It happens. Our surges on the Breeze we were handed a letter at check in stating that work was needed while the ship was docked and we would be 3-4 hours late in leaving. Muster moved to 515 and we left after 7 pm. It was nice seeing Miami at dark during sail away. Just learn to go with the flow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since we live less then a mile from the port, and usually leave from here, it would not be an inconvenience for us. In fact, when we have seen that cruise ships are stuck coming in and docking, due to fog, etc... for sometimes 2 or 3 days, we say, why couldn't that happen when we are on the ship? Extra cruise time! But, to be serious and I realize I am off the subject, as someone else suggested, just go with the flow. To get stressed out will ruin your cruise. Hope you have a great cruise!!!

We're slightly irritated, as we'll now miss sail away while eating dinner.

Happened on my first cruise this past fall. Our sail away didn't happen until we were in the middle of dinner service. We were sailing out of NOLA, too, so I had been looking forward to a mini river cruise before our actual cruise. Never got to see any sights along the Mississippi leaving or coming back since it was dark out in both instances. You know what though? Didn't matter in the slightest. Our cruise was amazing. Hope yours is too.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Thanks to those who offered kind replies. You were right, going with the flow is *the* way to go. As far as the snarkers go, whatevs. This website is "Cruise Critic", in case any of you jaded old-timers have forgotten. It's where you go to offer critique. "Slightly irritated" wasn't a meltdown; it was just part of our overall experience, but one that began the trip.

The cruise was absolutely wonderful. We had a splendid time. We had to make an unfortunate emergency stop in Cozumel to drop off a critically ill passenger while on our second sea day heading to Roatan. I'm not sure what happened, but it was rumored to be someone with a compound fracture of their leg. They tendered him/her off the ship. I sincerely hope that they are OK! The captain handled it very well and the stop cost us no delays.

In Roatan we took the Maya Key excursion. In Belize we did the Altun Ha/River Wallace excursion. In Cozumel we took the La Casa en la Playa excursion. All three were very well-organized and we had a ton of fun on all three. Awesome time had each day.

We enjoyed all our meals. The American Table/American Feast menus offered plenty of variety and the service was superb. Our steakhouse meal was AWESOME! We also loved the fish & chips, pizza, and Guy's Burgers. We noshed our way through the week. We loved Alchemy and the bartenders there.

We were on the forward Panorama Deck. Our cabin was very clean and spiffy, with no wear or tear evident. Our room steward was kind of a drag though. He was burnt out and tired and our first encounter with him was him complaining that he had many rooms to service on two floors and if we needed anything to call. This was just after we introduced ourselves and handed him a $25 'starter tip'. We didn't see him again at all for two days. He serviced the room, but forgot to bring ice, didn't leave a room service menu, didn't unlock the fridge, and even after we requested it he didn't empty it. He brought us our free water the day after we set sail. Just little no-attention-to-detail issues. While we were at dinner on the third day he serviced the room and a glass must have fallen off the counter after he left. We came back from dinner and it was shattered on the carpet. We called Housekeeping to ask for a vacuuming and he arrived quite irritated and scolded us over the glass, saying he'd just got off duty for the night. We explained that it was on the floor broken when we returned to our room - we hadn't broken it. He muttered to himself and vacuumed it up then left our room without even a goodbye. Just a cranky, unfriendly guy. He didn't make or break our good time but we didn't leave him any additional tip money as we disembarked today (other than our prepaid gratuity) which we have done in the past.

John Heald was aboard our cruise (possibly the reason we left late according to a server who said our delay was due to 'awaiting a key team member'). He is funny as hell! We attended a talk with him and Malcolm (our CD) and they had the audience roaring with their incredibly quick, witty replies to passenger questions. It was delightful.

We had a great time playing bingo twice during the cruise. The staff are all just funny, entertaining, and so full of energy. Someone threw up in the Lido pool during the second sea day and it effectively shut the pool down for the afternoon, as it had to be emptied and re-filled. We enjoyed the deck and were always able to find chairs in the upper areas.

Disembarkation was a breeze this morning and we were off the ship by 10 am. It was a great cruise and we're already planning our next one. My grumbling over leaving late was not in any way a deal breaker - it was just not an optimal start. We will definitely cruise the Freedom again!

Edited by TXcruiser13

I was on the Triumph when we passed y'all still at the pier. I'm assuming from John's post all week it did eventually set sail. ☺

I totally missed your follow -up post! I'm glad you had a great time!

I won at bingo on our trip! lol

Edited by christyran1228

I was on the Triumph when we passed y'all still at the pier. I'm assuming from John's post all week it did eventually set sail. ☺

We watched you pass us by from our starboard balcony! The music was cranking and everyone was on deck whoohooing and it was a fun sight to see! We also enjoyed watching the two coast guard boats shooing away any small boats that even came close to the two ships while they were both in port.

We sailed the Triumph back in 2011 and loved it. Hope you had a great cruise!

We also enjoyed watching the two coast guard boats shooing away any small boats that even came close to the two ships while they were both in port.

We sailed the Triumph back in 2011 and loved it. Hope you had a great cruise!

They were hurrying up a ferryboat full of cars a little ways down. Lol

We had a great, but too short! time. 😆

Our room steward was kind of a drag though. He was burnt out and tired and our first encounter with him was him complaining that he had many rooms to service on two floors and if we needed anything to call. This was just after we introduced ourselves and handed him a $25 'starter tip'. We didn't see him again at all for two days. He serviced the room, but forgot to bring ice, didn't leave a room service menu, didn't unlock the fridge, and even after we requested it he didn't empty it. He brought us our free water the day after we set sail. Just little no-attention-to-detail issues. While we were at dinner on the third day he serviced the room and a glass must have fallen off the counter after he left. We came back from dinner and it was shattered on the carpet. We called Housekeeping to ask for a vacuuming and he arrived quite irritated and scolded us over the glass, saying he'd just got off duty for the night. We explained that it was on the floor broken when we returned to our room - we hadn't broken it. He muttered to himself and vacuumed it up then left our room without even a goodbye. Just a cranky, unfriendly guy. He didn't make or break our good time but we didn't leave him any additional tip money as we disembarked today (other than our prepaid gratuity) which we have done in the past.

I am glad that overall you had a good trip.

I believe your experience with your stateroom steward is a perfect example of why one should not tip in advance, with or without the expectation that one will receive better service than other guests that do not tip in advance. A tip in advance is not necessarily a guarantee of better service.

This was just posted on John Heald's Facebook.

Name: Gary-------

Message: We are back from the the Freedom and the same cruise on 2/13 you were on. Never saw you by the way. I have a nasty taste in my mouth because the captain made an speech that the departure from Galveston would not be until 6:30-7:00 pm tonight due to "a late arrival of a team member due to unforeseen circumstances".

We were pissed. The sail from port is the big start to the cruise and we had to miss it because we were stuck at dinner.It is unfair to us and all the passengers to do this and not explination was given and no free drinks or anything done to say sorry!!!

Well, that’s an interesting one and I actually think I forgot to mention last week that we had sailed late as I had just come on board that day. Anyway, we sailed late because we were waiting for the lead nurse who was due to join the ship and whose flight had been delayed getting into Houston. As she was en-route and due to the importance of having her on the ship we did decide to wait. I am sure the Captain did apologise or indeed did the CD Malcolm. However, I do realise that the sail away is a big part of the cruise experience so I sort of understand Gary’s comment.

Twasn't me, I swear! Other than my brief whine here, my husband and I got over it. We were enjoying lobster in the Sun King Steakhouse (we had a 6 pm reservation which is why we couldn't just skip dinner as a previous poster somewhat nastily suggested) as we pulled out of port. I do understand though why people complain about late departures. It's a long process getting onboard the ship and your excitement builds as you anticipate sail away. We boarded at noon and it was close to 7:00 pm before we departed, and it was dark out. Not a deal breaker, but a not-so-great start to vacation - much like an unexpected airline delay. People who cruise often are obviously well-seasoned and used to these things. Those who cruise less frequently maybe not so much. I see regulars here coming unhinged over missing tablecloths. It's important to them. Well, on-time departure is important to others. It's all a matter of individual perspective.

We enjoyed a killer Caymus cab while in the steakhouse as we pulled away. Our disappointment was short-lived and as I said on the previous page, we had an excellent cruise and enjoyed Heald's talk onboard very much.

It's a damn good thing we waited for that head nurse, as we had a medical emergency that surely required much assistance from the entire medical staff!!!

Edited by TXcruiser13