ESCAPE WiFi Prices???

Scoobs9

Can anyone tell me what price the wifi packages are for NCL Escape? Are there any deals once onboard or is it better to pre-book? Also, how fast did it work at sea, especially on an iPhone?

Many thanks in advance:)

Unlimited (must be booked for whole cruise) $29.99/day

Time Plan (100 minutes) $75.00

Time Plan (250 minutes) $125.00

No deals onboard. Slight savings (i.e. activation fee) if you book in advance.

This is satellite internet. Every byte of data travels 23,000 miles up and 23,000 miles back from the satellite with the associated latency and shared bandwidth. We normally buy an unlimited package and share between our 4 iphones (only one logged on at a time).

It is o.k. for iMessages back home. It is o.k. to send/receive email. Response time for interactive web surfing is slow. No video facetime. No streaming video. No uploading of video. No downloading of books.

So,,, we have been on 10 cruises over the past 2 years. My only data point for the Escape was on one of her inaugural cruises on when there were a lot of people trying to upload photos of the new ship. The service was very slow (compared to all of our prior NCL cruises). Folks that have sailed since seem to be having more "normal" satellite internet service.

Edited by BirdTravels

Just returned from 2/6 - 2/13 sailing. Signed up for the unlimited WiFi on the first night for 179.95, which was discounted from 209. Can't recall if the discount was for first day or latitude silver. It was well worth the cost for my needs and I used it daily. If you purchase a time package there is an opportunity to purchase additional time during the week. I did not take the dailies or inserts home and I don't recall the dollar amount for the mid-week upgrade but you could not upgrade to unlimited; I believe the unlimited package had to be purchased before a deadline on day 1 or perhaps extended to day 2. The internet center basically provided written instructions how to access and you signed up directly from your device - very easy.

I used it on my iPad where it worked "great." Great at sea is a relative term --using it mainly for email and basic searches. Speed depended on the ship's location -- it was fast near and during the St Thomas day while frustratingly slow in and around Tortola. Trying to view the free photos (kiosks around the ship where you can take photos and email them home or share) was impossible. Websites or emails with text only worked fine. Logging out and then back in seemed to help when speed was non-existent.

My galaxy6 phone did not work well with either iConcierge or wifi but to be fair, it does not work as well as my iPhone did or my iPad does on land either. I also signed in once or twice from my HP laptop and it worked fine.

Hope this helps

This is satellite internet. Every byte of data travels 23,000 miles up and 23,000 miles back from the satellite with the associated latency and shared bandwidth. We normally buy an unlimited package and share between our 4 iphones (only one logged on at a time).

The satellites are a lot closer to 230 miles away than 23,000.

No downloading of books.

You know that an average eBook is a lot smaller than an average webpage with images (or even just one digital picture from a recent digital camera), right?

Absolutely no problem to download books over ship's satellite connection.

Edited by Demonyte

Thanks for all the information regarding wifi. We're "Bronze" Latitude members (third NCL cruise), so probably won't get a discount on wifi. Interesting, on Princess (Elite members), it's free and with RCCL, their unlimited plan was offered for two devices with unlimited pkg for $120 total for the week after only two cruises with them!

NCL really seems to "nickel & dime" a lot!

Again, appreciate all the info! Four weeks out now…can't wait to hit "home" Doug!!!

Interesting, on Princess (Elite members), it's free and with RCCL, their unlimited plan was offered for two devices with unlimited pkg for $120 total for the week after only two cruises with them!

Royal has invested a lot for the systems on their newer ships and hence are able to lower the prices as the capacity is a lot bigger and they can make more money by having more users paying less (low price of internet is an incentive to purchase packages and for many even a major factor when choosing a cruise line nowadays).

For example Celebrity (part of RCCL) has very similar pricing as NCL.

Royal has invested a lot for the systems on their newer ships and hence are able to lower the prices as the capacity is a lot bigger and they can make more money by having more users paying less (low price of internet is an incentive to purchase packages and for many even a major factor when choosing a cruise line nowadays).

Good point, but I believe NCL could do better. BTW, RCCL's speed was amazingly fast for sea and Facetiming was great!

We're sailing with a couple of Platinum members next week. Do they get a discount or free minutes?

Onboard discounts from Latitudes page

30 free minutes with 250-minute internet package purchase; 15 free minutes with 100-minute internet package purchase. Latitudes Rewards guests aboard Norwegian Breakaway will receive 20 free MB's with 1,000 MB internet package; 10 free MB's with 300 MB internet package. *

Onboard discounts from Latitudes page

30 free minutes with 250-minute internet package purchase; 15 free minutes with 100-minute internet package purchase. Latitudes Rewards guests aboard Norwegian Breakaway will receive 20 free MB's with 1,000 MB internet package; 10 free MB's with 300 MB internet package. *

Thanks.

NCL is generally far cheaper for an equivalent cabin, so that should be factored in as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The satellites are a lot closer to 230 miles away than 23,000.

Actually 23,000 miles is a pretty accurate figure for satellites in geostationary orbit. NCL uses Maritime Communications Network's satellites for their internet services. These satellites are indeed located in geosynchronous orbit and use Ku-band VSAT technology for communications.

Edited by Kortehgehn

Thanks for all the information regarding wifi. We're "Bronze" Latitude members (third NCL cruise), so probably won't get a discount on wifi. Interesting, on Princess (Elite members), it's free and with RCCL, their unlimited plan was offered for two devices with unlimited pkg for $120 total for the week after only two cruises with them!

Again, appreciate all the info! Four weeks out now…can't wait to hit "home" Doug!!!

Take a look at the benefits of your Bronze status. I've got only one NCL cruise behind me and saw the following the other day when I visited the Latitudes page (this is included starting at Bronze):

30 free minutes with 250-minute internet package purchase; 15 free minutes with 100-minute internet package purchase. Latitudes Rewards guests aboard Norwegian Breakaway will receive 20 free MB's with 1,000 MB internet package; 10 free MB's with 300 MB internet package.

Can you by a per MB package on the Escape or is it per minute only.?

I think I would prefer the per MB.

All other ships except Breakaway are billed by the minute. Breakaway has faster satellite hardware so transferred bytes per minute is much higher than on other ships.