Formal - Gala Night; lets stop the pretense

doublebzz

For the more liberal minded who like to dress up and who state they can care less what other folks wear, I am curious how they feel when sharing a table with a couple in khakis and Hawaiian shirt or equivalent. Not passing judgement, just interested in responses.

Absolutely no problem as long as they are comfortable as we are, and good table manners and courtesy prevail - it will be a nice dinner.

... They had to be in formal dress every night after 6:00 PM. What to go back to that?

I do.:) Actually, it was never every night. The tradition in First Class (before the cruise lines designated certain nights as formal, informal, casual, or whatever) was to dress formally except the first night, last night, any night in port and, on longer voyages - at least on British ships - Sundays. On the Royal Mail Ships of the Union-Castle Line the 13 day voyage from Southampton to Cape Town would have eight formal nights. No-one told passengers to wear a jacket and tie on the other nights but every gent did.

Although we are closer to "have-nots" than "haves" by the 1970s it was possible for people of modest means to save up to travel First Class on a liner voyage (in our case it was mostly Atlantic crossings). Even Tourist Class - at least on Cunard and the French Line - recommended jacket and tie for every night, even the first and last, and I don't recall men whinging about it. Right up to the last year of Cunard's QE2 in 2008, jacket and tie was required in all dining rooms (not the cafeteria, of course) every night. So our last Atlantic crossing had four consecutive formal nights.

I see dress codes as minimums, not maximums. Although I wouldn't put on a jacket and tie to go to a casual restaurant or pub, it is not unusual to see many men so attired in a fine restaurant. When I next go on HAL I will wear a jacket and maybe a tie on every casual night and my dinner jacket/tuxedo on the gala nights, just as I did last year. I do understand why some people, especially men, do not wish to dress up, but I do hope that those who do like that tradition of the sea will continue to do so.

Edited by david,Mississauga

I do.:) Actually, it was never every night. The tradition in First Class (before the cruise lines designated certain nights as formal, informal, casual, or whatever) was to dress formally except the first night, last night, any night in port and, on longer voyages - at least on British ships - Sundays. On the Royal Mail Ships of the Union-Castle Line the 13 day voyage from Southampton to Cape Town would have eight formal nights. No-one told passengers to wear a jacket and tie on the other nights but every gent did.

Although we are closer to "have-nots" than "haves" by the 1970s it was possible for people of modest means to save up to travel First Class on a liner voyage (in our case it was mostly Atlantic crossings). Even Tourist Class - at least on Cunard and the French Line - recommended jacket and tie for every night, even the first and last, and I don't recall men whinging about it.

I see dress codes as minimums, not maximums. Although I wouldn't put on a jacket and tie to go to a casual restaurant or pub, it is not unusual to see many men so attired in a fine restaurant. When I next go on HAL I will wear a jacket and maybe a tie on every casual night and my dinner jacket (tuxedo) on the gala nights, just as I did last year. I do understand why some people, especially men, do not wish to dress up, but I do hope that those who do like that tradition of the sea will continue to do so.

I understand the tradition you enjoy. Though I don't agree that formal dress a code is really necessary for a special evening, I fully respect your desire to continue it. I don't think you've seen anyone, on any of these dress code threads, attempting constrain your ability to dress as you like. In the same regard, I'd hope everyone would have the decency to allow others to dress as they like, as long as it conforms to the rules of the cruise line today.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

Though I don't agree that formal dress a code is really necessary for a special evening

I thoroughly agree with your observation. However, my question is what is "...necessary for a special evening"? Since the point of this thread is that gala evenings are not gala anymore, what is the point of dressing up? Sort of like serving a ham sandwich on Versace china.

I thoroughly agree with your observation. However, my question is what is "...necessary for a special evening"? Since the point of this thread is that gala evenings are not gala anymore, what is the point of dressing up? Sort of like serving a ham sandwich on Versace china.

For us it's always been the company we keep. Whether it's just my DW, family, old or new friends. It's the celebration. Even for weddings or other more formal events, we don't remember what someone wears. It's the conversations, the laughing, shared experience.

Some of our more memorable cruises were ones where we conversed with fellow cruisers in the Neptune lounge, or somewhere on the ship not related to food. It's the experiences we refer to long after the cruise that made us realize they were special. It has nothing to do with attire. Some can be planned, but a lot can just happen, if we're open to it.

When it comes to food related occasions, it won't be in the MDR, since it's not special anymore. Back in day when the MDR was THE place to go, then I understand. Cruise lines have found they can charge for the really good food. If it's a special dinner, obviously, it's a specialty(who would have guessed) restaurant.

As I fear the Moderator will close down this thread in short order, let me leave you with one final thought. I think there is almost universal agreement that gala nights are nothing special. However, by acceding to HAL's suggestion for more refined dress on these nights, we are only lending credibility to this farce. So, let people dress up or down on any night of the cruise but not feel pressure to do so only on gala nights. In fact, on my next cruise, I may lead a gala night protest by convincing guests to wear jeans and t-shirts on gala nights.

As I fear the Moderator will close down this thread in short order, let me leave you with one final thought. I think there is almost universal agreement that gala nights are nothing special. However, by acceding to HAL's suggestion for more refined dress on these nights, we are only lending credibility to this farce. So, let people dress up or down on any night of the cruise but not feel pressure to do so only on gala nights. In fact, on my next cruise, I may lead a gala night protest by convincing guests to wear jeans and t-shirts on gala nights.

Good luck. I doubt Hal will stop you. I don't bring either jeans or a t shirt on my cruises.

Good luck. I doubt Hal will stop you. I don't bring either jeans or a t shirt on my cruises.

Just a point of clarity. Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery, are welcome most evenings in restaurants (Per the HAL web site). Just following the dress code. I plan to wear them on nights other than gala.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

gala night is an optional formal night IMO. At least that is how it is appearing,

What is all the fuss about? I'll dress up and those that don't care to, don't have to. What is the big deal?

We got off Oceania a couple + months ago and their dress code is country club casual. We fit right in (I think) but I will honestly say that a lot of the passengers on it dress better than some of HAL's passengers on formal nights.

Perhaps that should be the new dress code on HAL? Or what HAL is trying to achieve?

Lots of jackets (including DH) for some of the specialty restaurants and people were dressed nicely without the need to sparkle constantly ;)

As long as you feel good in what you wear, that is the main thing.

Flame away

I always pack a nice pair of jeans or wear a dressy pair on the plane, depending on the weather. T shirts are a must for certain itineraries for our land tours.

I don't wear them in the dining room (my choice) but they are certainly coming along on the trip ;)

... a lot of the passengers on it (Oceania) dress better than some of HAL's passengers on formal nights.

Agreed; I saw it the same way when I sailed Oceania.

For a long time I have said that the only night some people on HAL dress to the level of Smart Casual is the formal nights. Now that HAL has lowered the standard to smart casual every night, who knows how low the bar will be set. It does seem to be going lower and lower. Limbo anyone?

Agreed; I saw it the same way when I sailed Oceania.

For a long time I have said that the only night some people on HAL dress to the level of Smart Casual is the formal nights. Now that HAL has lowered the standard to smart casual every night, who knows how low the bar will be set. It does seem to be going lower and lower. Limbo anyone?

The last cruise I was on, I saw an example of what is coming ;) A woman in an ill-fitting top, and jeans that were due for the rag-bag. She was kind enough to point out to me that I was overdressed for "smart casual" evening :D (and that was before the dress code change).

The last cruise I was on, I saw an example of what is coming ;) A woman in an ill-fitting top, and jeans that were due for the rag-bag. She was kind enough to point out to me that I was overdressed for "smart casual" evening :D (and that was before the dress code change).

I'm sure you didn't ask her how she could possibly know. ;)