Formal - Gala Night; lets stop the pretense

doublebzz

Just debarked from the Westerdam. From my last cruise in November aboard Nieuw Amsterdam, HAL has apparently changed the name from "formal" to "gala" nights. The name change suggests that formal wear is no longer suggested dress and is to be replaced by gala garments. I don't know what "gala wear" is but I can tell what I observed on Westerdam. Probably less than 20% of men wore suits or jackets of any kind and half of them didn't wear a tie. The overwhelming dress for men were slacks and short sleeve shirts. I'm not an expert on women's wear but I didn't notice anything remotely "dressy". Webster's definition of "gala" is: "a festive celebration; especially : a public entertainment marking a special occasion" Again. there was nothing "special" about gala night except, maybe, the lobster tail on the 2nd gala night dinner. Although I enjoyed dressing up and viewing my fellow guests in their formal attire, I also know when I'm beaten. So lets end all this nonsense and the pretense that former formal nights, now called gala, are something "special". They are not.

I understand how you feel. It IS a pretense. They're afraid to say every night is casual, and they're afraid to use the "f-word of cruising." (formal) So they waffle.

The change was announced late last summer, IIRC. On our Sept cruise on Veendam, I made a point of walking through the MDR (early fixed dining) on the two gala nights, and nearly all men wore jackets and women appeared to be dressed comparably. I saw VERY FEW tuxes around the ship.

I was on the Oosterdam Jan 29 cruise (same as Dave), and I didn't make a detailed study, but I do think I saw fewer jackets on the men and more casual clothing on the women. I don't know if it's Caribbean vs Canada as a deestination. Or hot weather vs cooler weather. Or maybe the word is getting out.

DH and the other two men at our table wore jackets. I was definitely the most dressed up of the three women. The only one in a long gown. It has beads and sequins, and one of the women said "Oh my, you make me feel dowdy." She meant it as a compliment, but I felt bad that I had made someone feel that way, even if it was just a little bit. She had a nice dress on (church nice, as some people say), but not "gala." The other woman was in a LBD and said "thank God we only have to do this two nights."

Outside the MDR, dress was definitely more casual than I'd seen last fall.

So now it's a mish-mash. I love taking the "posh frocks," but I was in a definite minority. My next cruise is on Cunard, where I'll blend in better.

We still love formal nights and treated gala nights as slightly under dressed compared to formal nights.

On our Eurodam cruises October 2015 the new gala night dress was already in place.

There were a lot of men dressed in suits and jackets with ties. Ladies wore sparkly tops with nice slacks or long skirts.

After we did a 21 day repositioning cruise in 2013 -- same one we have done several other times on the Westerdam, DH felt out of place as there was only a handful of men dressed in tuxedos. When we got home from that cruise, his tuxedo went to the back of his closet and he bought a couple of new suits and jackets and new ties.

Because I use a walker/rollator, I can no longer wear floor length skirts. But I do have 2 fancy 3/4 length skirts and several sparkly tops.

I understand how you feel. It IS a pretense. They're afraid to say every night is casual, and they're afraid to use the "f-word of cruising." (formal) So they waffle.

The change was announced late last summer, IIRC. On our Sept cruise on Veendam, I made a point of walking through the MDR (early fixed dining) on the two gala nights, and nearly all men wore jackets and women appeared to be dressed comparably. I saw VERY FEW tuxes around the ship.

I was on the Oosterdam Jan 29 cruise (same as Dave), and I didn't make a detailed study, but I do think I saw fewer jackets on the men and more casual clothing on the women. I don't know if it's Caribbean vs Canada as a deestination. Or hot weather vs cooler weather. Or maybe the word is getting out.

DH and the other two men at our table wore jackets. I was definitely the most dressed up of the three women. The only one in a long gown. It has beads and sequins, and one of the women said "Oh my, you make me feel dowdy." She meant it as a compliment, but I felt bad that I had made someone feel that way, even if it was just a little bit. She had a nice dress on (church nice, as some people say), but not "gala." The other woman was in a LBD and said "thank God we only have to do this two nights."

Outside the MDR, dress was definitely more casual than I'd seen last fall.

So now it's a mish-mash. I love taking the "posh frocks," but I was in a definite minority. My next cruise is on Cunard, where I'll blend in better.

I don't think the itinerary. People were very nicely dressed on my Caribbean cruise in October. People were even dressed gala-ly :D in the Canaletto. I think the word is getting out.

Interestingly on NA two weeks ago, appeared that almost all men wore jackets on Gala Nights and primarily with ties, even a dozen or so tuxes. This was our same observation on Oosterdam in November so I have not really seen the dress deteriorate much from what Formal had been in recent years.

Obviously varies cruise to cruise and others have observed differently.

It's a "crap shoot". On our last cruise over Christmas and New Years we noticed that a lot of people dressed in a "Gala manner" even when it wasn't "Gala night". But just as it was with "formal night" there are some people who won't dress no matter what.

I wish Cunard did more cruises from Florida. I would like to try them as I enjoy dressing for dinner. Dressing every night wouldn't be a problem for me at all.

Recent Amsterdam was still fairly formal and the dining room chairs were dressed up and the staff was in special uniforms too. Made it special and fun to have the opportunity to dress up just a little differently. Plus it is a big photo selling opportunity for many those nights too.

Don't think it is a pretense, but rather an change in scene for those who still enjoy this dress-up for dinner tradition. HAL did recognize they could no longer support a one-size fits all, nor are those who still like a few dress up evening for themselves bothered by those who choose not to. It is a special option for those who do enjoy it. That is all.

Give a little, get a little. I honestly think many of those who don't choose to dress up still enjoy the special sparkle those evenings that others provide. It is great to look around the dining room and see that extra glow this evening still provides. Pretentious would be showing up in formal wear on casual nights! But even that is okay if one wants to celebrate their cruise in their own way. We often do that at the end of our cruise with a Pinnacle dinner in full formal --just for ourselves.

Edited by OlsSalt

Face it: cruising is NOT what it used to be. The cruise lines want any and all to cruise their line...and will do almost anything to get new passengers! They won't enforce any rules, for fear of "offending" someone. Passengers no longer know what they're buying, or the etiquette associated with it....if it's not on Facebook...they have no clue. It's sad.

On our early Dec, 2015 cruise to Caribbean, almost all of the men had on suits or sports coats and ties, even though gala night was fully in place by then. Now it seems that the word is getting out and fewer people are "dressing up".

No surprise, it was just a matter of time after the change was announced. It takes time for most people to figure out the changes.

Probably need at least a year to gauge the impact of the change to Gala nights. It's easy to forget that few passengers visit cruise critic. Many don't read the FAQ either. Many won't find out until they cruise that Holland changed the dress code. Consequently, it will be their next cruise before they adapt or not. It will be Oct 2016 before you would reasonably be able to gauge a change in the Caribbean, perhaps earlier in Europe.

Edited by RocketMan275

I do not think that the cruise lines, HAL included, are concerned about offending anyone.

I think that times and preferences have changed from 20 years ago. I suspect there are more and more people like us who do not care about formal evenings one way or the other. We do not dress for them, we do not pack for them, but we certainly do not care if others do. More power to those folks who enjoy dressing up.

I think that it is more about moving with customers changing wants and demands than it is about offending people. Like it or not times and customs change over time.

I plan on wearing a gown one gala night and a more casual dress or slacks and a dressy blouse the other gala night. Which gala night would you recommend dressing in the gown in order to fit in more? Or does it not matter? I just am unaware if one gala night is more formal than another.

Thanks!!

They won't enforce any rules, for fear of "offending" someone.

Another observation from my Westy cruise; I was at the Seaview Pool where two "Adult Only - 18 years and older" signs were prominently posted. A couple of families who apparently purchased the "Rules don't apply to me" permits had their small children splashing around the pool. Within a short time, a service staff member, not security, discreetly advised the offenders it was an adult pool and they left shortly thereafter. I was really impressed as this was the first time I ever noticed enforcement of this or any other rule.

I plan on wearing a gown one gala night and a more casual dress or slacks and a dressy blouse the other gala night. Which gala night would you recommend dressing in the gown in order to fit in more? Or does it not matter? I just am unaware if one gala night is more formal than another.

Thanks!!

My obervation has been that the first night is treated as more formal.

Many people don't have the need for fancy attire in their lives; therefore, do not have those clothes to pack on a cruise.

In my office, it is a "big" deal if someone wears a polo style shirt and slacks let alone a jacket & tie.

Most people for a special occasion dinner go to a smart casual (Red Lobster) or maybe Ruth's Cris where you aren't required to wear a jacket & tie.

Several of the latest weddings that I have attended have even been less formal. (The officiant & bridal party were in fancy dress, but the gentlemen at one wore jackets without ties.)

For entertainment, we don't go to places that require fancy dress, we go to sporting events, concerts, and the movies. Or many are involved in active endeavors like hiking, swimming, biking, yoga, etc. Or are busy doing crafts/hobbies like model railroads, knitting, or stamp collecting that also do not require fancy dress. (I hesitate to add golf because I have been to dinners in the club that have a dress code, but there are many municipal courses that don't have that added luxury.)

Also with so many airlines charging for bags, why pack fancy attire when you might be able to have 1 less bag to pay for before you even get to the cruise.

This is the reality in which a vast majority live in. & more than a few chose a cruise vacation because it is affordable.

Maybe if we were paying for the Seabourne, Regent Seven Seas, Crystal, Silversea, or Cunard experience it would be different. At it is HAL is not in that price range; therefore, it does not attract that clientele.

(My thoughts are based on the 7-night type cruises, I am willing to concede that those who are on longer cruises may have a different experience. If you can afford to at a minimum to budget $50,000 for a world cruise then you should include a Tuxedo and ball gown in your luggage. :o)

I think most respondents are focusing too narrowly on the dress issue when my intent was more broad. If any first time cruisers, without any knowledge of formal or gala nights, came aboard Westy last week, they would would be hard pressed to single out any night that was different than any other. There was no decorations in the dining room, no special event, no anything that would differentiate a "gala" night from a regular night. I'm not passing judgement on that; only saying why describe something that's not.

Dressy clothes in today's fabrics are among the easiest and lightest weight to pack. Even a nice dinner jacket for men in today's comfortable fabrics. Just plain fun, sparkly, stretchy and comfortable tops work well enough for the "ball gown" category today. But even "ball gowns" today are supremely light and comfortable.

I think most respondents are focusing too narrowly on the dress issue when my intent was more broad. If any first time cruisers, without any knowledge of formal or gala nights, came aboard Westy last week, they would would be hard pressed to single out any night that was different than any other. There was no decorations in the dining room, no special event, no anything that would differentiate a "gala" night from a regular night. I'm not passing judgement on that; only saying why describe something that's not.

It's been that way for a while. The menu certainly isn't special, especially the first formal.

AHHH well, I've never noticed a difference in the decor from one night to another & we prefer the MDR and as a consequence are in there 90% or more on any given cruise.

When we do feel like OBVIOUSLY dressing down we do go to the buffet or just order room service.

I know what you mean. There is nothing special going on except the "gala" menu, which seems to vary by cruise length. On our 7-day cruise last fall, the menu had three choices per course and no "always available" items. (The refusal of this request may have been lazy or ill-informed waiters) On our recent 10-day cruise, there were more choices on the gala menu. But no cocktail party, no special entertainment. Just another night.

Also with so many airlines charging for bags, why pack fancy attire when you might be able to have 1 less bag to pay for before you even get to the cruise.

This doesn't make any sense at all, at least when it comes to women's clothes.

You have to pack something to wear at night. That "fancy attire" you refer to doesn't have to weigh any more than smart casual wear; mine weighs a good deal less than several of my smart casual outfits.

Oh, and I take one suitcase, no matter the length of the cruise (longest has been 39 days; rarely less than 20), so there is no "one less bag to pay for".

Another observation from my Westy cruise; I was at the Seaview Pool where two "Adult Only - 18 years and older" signs were prominently posted. A couple of families who apparently purchased the "Rules don't apply to me" permits had their small children splashing around the pool. Within a short time, a service staff member, not security, discreetly advised the offenders it was an adult pool and they left shortly thereafter. I was really impressed as this was the first time I ever noticed enforcement of this or any other rule.

So good to read this. Thanks for sharing. :)

As to 'gala dress', wear what you want. HAL is still trying to be all things to all people. There doesn't seem to be more rules for dress other than no caps on gents, no bare feet and please wear a shirt. Maybe they are still requiring a shirt/jersey with collar for dinner in MDR. :)