New Coffee Cards

cruzsnooze

We were told recently by a Hotel Manager onboard that by the end of this year, Princess will eliminate all beverage stickers and coffee cards. The beverage packages/specialty coffee packages will still be available, but they will all be on your cruise card account. The servers will swipe your cruise card for each transaction and your account will reflect the package that you have purchased.

The current and old coffee cards will still be honored until they are all used up...

We were told recently by a Hotel Manager onboard that by the end of this year, Princess will eliminate all beverage stickers and coffee cards. The beverage packages/specialty coffee packages will still be available, but they will all be on your cruise card account. The servers will swipe your cruise card for each transaction and your account will reflect the package that you have purchased.

The current and old coffee cards will still be honored until they are all used up...

That's good that they're using technology for these things but wonder how they will keep track of our remaining specialty coffee drink "punches"?

Old cruise cards are invalid on another cruise but they better be usable for any remaining coffee drinks on other cruises.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's good that they're using technology for these things but wonder how they will keep track of our remaining specialty coffee drink "punches"?

Old cruise cards are invalid on another cruise but they better be usable for any remaining coffee drinks on other cruises.

Good question, I don't have an answer???

Maybe it will be like other offered beverage packages - unlimited coffee/tea drinks only for the duration of the cruise? You would then have to figure out if it is worth it to purchase the package or buy the individual drink as you go.

We haven't used up an entire coffee card yet on one cruise but we have always bought a new one knowing that we could roll it over to the next trip. If we lose that perk (pun intended) we probably won't be buying it in the future.

Edited by hllwdcruiser

Maybe it will be like other offered beverage packages? Unlimited coffee/tea drinks only for the duration of the cruise? You would then have to figure out if it is worth it to purchase the package or buy the individual drink as you go.

We haven't used up an entire coffee card yet on one cruise but we have always bought a new one knowing that we could roll it over to the next trip. If we lose that perk (pun intended) we probably won't be buying it in the future.

It's a possibility that they would do it that way to eliminate using "punches" on another cruise.

Using your pun...I would also not purchase a coffee card if the perk of using remaining punches on another cruise was not valid.

We don't always drink specialty coffees, especially if there is a long line and in that case, we are very happy with just brewed coffee. If we purchased a card on a current cruise, are we able to get 2 cups of regular coffee at one time using the same card? If not, might be better for us to pay as we go. I am just trying not to cheat and really don't care for the coffee syrup all that much.

Edited by Cruise Raider

We don't always drink specialty coffees, especially if there is a long line and in that case, we are very happy with just brewed coffee. If we purchased a card on a current cruise, are we able to get 2 cups of regular coffee at one time using the same card? If not, might be better for us to pay as we go. I am just trying not to cheat and really don't care for the coffee syrup all that much.

I can only give you the benefit of our own experience. Compared to others on here I am still a newbie, having only sailed Princess 5 times.

We have always bought a new card for each cruise but usually have punches left over on an old one. Most of the time DH drinks regular brewed and I will have a latte to start our day. Sometime during the day we usually stop by IC for another cup of brewed.

Not once have we been questioned or asked to show another card or charged for an extra cup. I pull out my one card and they pour out two cups or they give me the latte and they give DH a regular.

I can't speak of the MDR or any other location than the IC as we never get our coffee from anywhere else.

Others may advise otherwise but we go every day to the IC while onboard and have never had an issue.

Can you use the punch card for a $5 "Barista Speciality Mixes"? The only reason I ask is because they promote you saving "20%" but if you buy 15 of those with your punch card, thats a savings of like 60%. So this curious mind needs to know with certainty. Thanks :)

Can you use the punch card for a $5 "Barista Speciality Mixes"? The only reason I ask is because they promote you saving "20%" but if you buy 15 of those with your punch card, thats a savings of like 60%. So this curious mind needs to know with certainty. Thanks :)

Yes, you can and the Banoffee Blast is.....a Blast!!

I can only give you the benefit of our own experience. Compared to others on here I am still a newbie, having only sailed Princess 5 times.

We have always bought a new card for each cruise but usually have punches left over on an old one. Most of the time DH drinks regular brewed and I will have a latte to start our day. Sometime during the day we usually stop by IC for another cup of brewed.

Not once have we been questioned or asked to show another card or charged for an extra cup. I pull out my one card and they pour out two cups or they give me the latte and they give DH a regular.

I can't speak of the MDR or any other location than the IC as we never get our coffee from anywhere else.

Others may advise otherwise but we go every day to the IC while onboard and have never had an issue.

Actually, that is helpful. thanks so much

First time Princess cruiser. Is free brewed coffee not available at the buffet or via room service throughout the day on Princess ships? Or, does brewed coffee have a specific meaning on Princess of which I am not aware?:confused:

Coffe from the Buffet and room service is not "fresh brewed" but made with a syrup base.

That's impossible unless they don't sell any packages when you board. I doubt they would turn away revenue from someone who wants to buy a soda package on boarding day.

Also you can use the Card ONE punch for 3 scoops of Gelato but it's a poor value. The Gelato was only $1.50 for 3 scoops on the Crown this week.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Didn't you say in your original post that the old cards would be honored until they are used up? I certainly hope so since I plan on bringing mine onboard the Regal next week!

There are so many different rumors/stories/guess etc etc.

I only believe what actually happens, like the new coffee cards that are now out. :rolleyes:

That's impossible unless they don't sell any packages when you board. I doubt they would turn away revenue from someone who wants to buy a soda package on boarding day.

Also you can use the Card ONE punch for 3 scoops of Gelato but it's a poor value. The Gelato was only $1.50 for 3 scoops on the Crown this week.

Since they'll be upgrading their onboard system to read our cruise card to verify if we have any drink packages, then maybe they'll be able to add drink packages to our shipboard account & use our cruise card to confirm that we have purchased any type of drink package.

Eventually we'll learn if that's possible or impossible to do on Princess but until then we can only speculate about the new system being implemented by the end of the year.

I agree, it makes no sense.

Originally coffee card punches were only valid on the Royal & Regal which at $3.50 for Gelato's was a good deal.

Maybe they read posts asking why we couldn't use it for a $1.50 gelato on other ships which isn't a great deal & decided to let us do it now.

Edited by Astro Flyer

There are so many different rumors/stories/guess etc etc.

I only believe what actually happens, like the new coffee cards that are now out. :rolleyes:

Add in the lack of consistency and it's "I'll believe it when I see it"

1461460038_Princesscoffeecards1.jpg.ab15d4010ccb75037c9155f4fec9d50f.jpg

Edited by cruzsnooze

We were told recently by a Hotel Manager onboard that by the end of this year, Princess will eliminate all beverage stickers and coffee cards. The servers will swipe your cruise card for each transaction and your account will reflect the package that you have purchased.

Sounds like that would work to keep the baristas from giving away coffee...which IMHO they do a lot.;)

We received a this new card on our Crown Feb 1st sailing.

With elite now selling coffee cards @ $25., on roll calls nonetheless, on my last 2 roll calls there have been offers:mad: and takers. I hope all drink packages are on cards. With coffee cards if u do not use all your punches on that sailing they could refund a %, works for me. Of course this is off subject but in the future I could see doing away with a mini bar set ups and just giving so many drinks, special coffee included per day sailed, loaded on our cards. I just am so offended by people not having the generosity to pass on a free coffee card to another RC member...okay I got it off my chest......

Edited by land lover

We received a this new card on our Crown Feb 1st sailing.

With elite now selling coffee cards @ $25., on roll calls nonetheless, on my last 2 roll calls there have been offers:mad: and takers. I hope all drink packages are on cards. With coffee cards if u do not use all your punches on that sailing they could refund a %, works for me. Of course this is off subject but in the future I could see doing away with a mini bar set ups and just giving so many drinks, special coffee included per day sailed, loaded on our cards. I just am so offended by people not having the generosity to pass on a free coffee card to another RC member...okay I got it off my chest......

This bothers me a lot. If you can afford to cruise so often you are elite, why do you need the $25 so badly. If this was a company and you were caught doing this, you would be terminated.