Some Quick Thoughts...Just Off Getaway Today

Coastalbreezes

Sailed solo in a Haven Spa Suite 14142 which came with the weekly pass.

Embarkation was a bit crazy and confusing as it seemed that everyone sailing seemed to be in the Haven waiting area (turns out that because there are no signs officially designating the area as "Haven Only", dozens of people saw the coffee, juices, etc. and came in to snack. So when they called us to board, it was unclear as to who was Haven and who was not for boarding making things a bit hectic).

Also we were told that the Escape had damaged the other gangway and only one was available for everyone to use, so it was definitely crowded.

Couple of things to note (and a "scoop" about Shanghai Noodle Bar):

The "Favorite Shows" TV channel is now a thing of the past. There were about four NCL channels, Fox, MSNBC, BBC News, a 24-hour/day soccer channel and a decent movie channel. The Super Bowl was shown on every TV throughout the ship but unfortunately not the commercials.

If you are in the Haven, you can watch any of the pay-per-view movies for free.

We skipped Cayman because they closed the port to all ships due to high seas and they couldn't safely tender guests into Georgetown.

Before leaving, I started a thread looking for opinions about possibly getting my hair cut and highlights:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310321&highlight=haircut

I was in dire need of both and ultimately decided to bite the bullet and get my hair done. Cannot tell you how absolutely pleased I was with the results!! I met with Marieke the stylist and was very specific about what I wanted done in terms of the cut and color and she was just amazing. I really was happy with the results.

Dined twice at Teppanyaki (always great), once at La Cucina (excellent) and several times at the Raw Bar/Ocean Blue. You can order anything off the Ocean Blue menu even if you're just sitting at the Raw Bar. OB has a much more extensive menu now (including an excellent beef filet and steamed lobster) with plenty of choices of side dishes, unlike when they first opened. Always had a great meal and service there.

New menus for all venues were scheduled to be in place as of today's sailing but were slowly rolling out during the week. By Wednesday, the Haven restaurant had the new breakfast and lunch menus in place but no new dinner menu (which I got to enjoy on the Escape) until tonight.

In the you-heard-it-here-first category:

Tried to go to the Shanghai Noodle Bar one night (they open at 5:30; I arrived 5:15). It's now one of the free dining venues and upon my arrival, there was a mile-long line. Came back an hour later and was told I could put my name on a waitlist but it would be at least three hours :eek: since it's such a small restaurant. The next day I was talking with a staff member and I was told that "very soon" Shanghai was going back to being a paid restaurant so be advised. Anyone sailing Getaway in the coming weeks, I hope you'll report back if and when this happens.

All told, it was a great week and I enjoyed seeing the many familiar faces of my Norwegian "family". If anyone has questions, feel free to ask (but I didn't go to any shows nor did I bring the Freestyles home).

Tracy

Edited by TracyE

Before leaving, I started a thread looking for opinions about possibly getting my hair cut and highlights:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310321&highlight=haircut

I was in dire need of both and ultimately decided to bite the bullet and get my hair done. Cannot tell you how absolutely pleased I was with the results!! I met with Marieke the stylist and was very specific about what I wanted done in terms of the cut and color and she was just amazing. I really was happy with the results.

Welcome home!! So glad to hear your salon experience was a good one, and the view while getting your hair done probably wasn't too shabby either! :D

How was your access to the spa from the Haven Spa suite? Is there a special entrance/stairway? Did you like the jacuzzi tub in the room?

We have been on the Getaway several times, but will be in a Haven Spa Suite (first time in Haven) in June. Haven't had a butler before so not sure how we will be using that service. Any other advice for us?

Thanks for sharing:D

Noodle bar tip -- arrive 60-90 minutes before you actually want to dine and pick up a pager. The pagers reach anywhere on the ship, so you can do other things while you wait. We went Friday night and spent the hour wait back in our room getting some of our packing out of the way for the trip home.

Noodle bar tip -- arrive 60-90 minutes before you actually want to dine and pick up a pager. The pagers reach anywhere on the ship, so you can do other things while you wait. We went Friday night and spent the hour wait back in our room getting some of our packing out of the way for the trip home.

We did exactly that but were told that the wait would be 30-40 minutes, it was only 20 minutes and we were not ready. Told them that we needed more time and they said, how long do you need, we will page you then. Came back when we were ready and they had a table waiting for us. Great service!

How was your access to the spa from the Haven Spa suite? Is there a special entrance/stairway? Did you like the jacuzzi tub in the room?

We have been on the Getaway several times, but will be in a Haven Spa Suite (first time in Haven) in June. Haven't had a butler before so not sure how we will be using that service. Any other advice for us?

Thanks for sharing:D

Spa access was easy -- just one flight up to deck 15 and you're there. I never used the jacuzzi.

Mansur was my butler who I've had many times before; he is excellent. Every afternoon around 3:00 he arrived with snacks. I don't ask much of the butler but if you'd like in-room dining for any meal or have other room-related requests, they will take care of you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Tracy

Also we were told that the Escape had damaged the other gangway and only one was available for everyone to use, so it was definitely crowded.

We were on the 17Jan sailing and the "broken gangway" excuse was used (along with Coast Guard inspection) as the cause of a multi hour boarding delay... Hard to believe that a month later this gangway issue is unresolved. Ok ... Not so hard to believe, more like "sad".

Edited by MichiganMan4

Hi Tracy! Has the Getaway rolled out the new Haven restaurant menus that were on the Escape? We personally loved the new Haven menu on the Escape in Nov and are hoping they are now on the Getaway for our sailing next week. Thanks!!!

As of yesterday's sailing, the new Haven menus as on Escape were to be fully in place. Wednesday last week, we had the new breakfast and lunch menus. I missed getting to enjoy the new dinner menu as it really was amazing on the Escape.

Have a great cruise,

Tracy

• 11 months later...

Hi. I am sailing in this exact cabin next month.

Can you please let me know if it had a poll in the room by the Jacuzzi?

I'm hoping not but searching and searching and cannot find an answer.

Thanks so much!

Brought back nice memories of our Haven Spa room in Oct. We had a good time with Joao the HD and his staff. Is John still concierge? We loved the Haven Maitre D -- Kalai. I know he left to get married in early December and was not sure if he returned. We loved the spa.... one of the best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi. I am sailing in this exact cabin next month.

Can you please let me know if it had a poll in the room by the Jacuzzi?

I'm hoping not but searching and searching and cannot find an answer.

Thanks so much!

Hi. I have seen that 14142 has a pole and doesnt have a pole. Can you please let me know since you have been in the cabin.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the Getaway today.

Shanghai Noddle is still a free dining option for dinner.

We were never ready to eat at 5:30, so the line was always too long for our appetites later in the evening. Wish they would open for lunch.