Ok to fly into FLL for cruise out of Miami?

khuselid

Not a problem at all. Do a google search for shuttles from FLL to Miami and you will find several. We did it a few years ago from our FLL hotel to the port in Miami. Shuttles also go directly from the airport to the port if you are flying in day of. Other choice would be a rental car making sure the company you choose has a shuttle to the port once you drop the car off.

Edited by purduemom1

Hi guys,

We are on an Oceania cruise in September that leaves out of Miami. United only flies direct into FLL from SFO. Is that workable or annoying?

Thanks so much!

Kim

Of course it's workable. You could also fly to Orlando, Tampa, West Palm, etc and still get to MIA. What you have to decide is... Is it worth the added problems of getting transportation from one of these airports to MIA (cost, time, worries) as opposed to getting a flight with a layover somewhere, that gets you to MIA. I'm sure UA can get you to MIA.

BTW - stopover flights can be less expensive than non-stops.

Hi guys,

We are on an Oceania cruise in September that leaves out of Miami. United only flies direct into FLL from SFO. Is that workable or annoying?

Thanks so much!

Kim

Be sure to post on the Florida Departures forum for into on transportation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Hi guys,

Thanks so much!

Kim

We've done it several times with no hassle or problems. There are several shuttle companies that are very reliable and inexpensive.

We have done this a couple of times. Flew in day before. Used SAS Transport who picked us up from our hotel( SAS picks up from quite a few FLL hotels..there is a list on their website) and took us to Port of Miami and at the end of the cruise picked us up at the ship and took us to FLL airport. It was about $60 RT for two. Easy Peasy. Good Luck! :)

Look into Uber. Good chance it will be cheaper and more convenient. Plus, if you've never used it you can download the app, then find a code for a free credit (like $20 or $25). Everyone in your party who has never used Uber can do this, meaning your roundtrip ground could be paid for by credits.

People do this often.

One suggestion though.

Do not fly in the day of your cruise. Arrive one or more days before the cruise because should your flight be cancelled or delayed you could miss the ship.

So true, nowadays. In the "good old days", when air travel was not such a pain, it was quite easy to fly transcontinental and catch a ship the same day.

We boarded a morning flight from SFO to MIA on Eastern airlines in the mid-1980's and were bussed to Ft. Lauderdale to board a same day cruise on Sitmar's FAIRSKY.

We wouldn't try that now!

So true, nowadays. In the "good old days", when air travel was not such a pain, it was quite easy to fly transcontinental and catch a ship the same day.

I really don't follow your logic. Even back in the "good old days" flights were delayed and canceled for weather, mechanical, crew issues etc. The risk was essentially the same, and if you never had an issue flying in the same day you were just lucky.

I really don't follow your logic. Even back in the "good old days" flights were delayed and canceled for weather, mechanical, crew issues etc. The risk was essentially the same, and if you never had an issue flying in the same day you were just lucky.

I was just stating the facts. However, I disagree about flying issues being essentially the same then as now. Of course, there could have been some issues, but not as likely to occur then as they do now. I think if you compared the on-time statistics from way back when to nowadays, you would find that planes were usually on time then, especially a fine weather non-stop flight on a jumbo jet.

In our case, there was very little chance of not making the ship, since our travel agency (at that time) had by far the largest percent of clientele onboard, and that large agency is based in the SF Bay Area. Air was included and although it was not a chartered flight, a huge portion of the plane (or planes) was also full of those of us taking that cruise, as were the buses taking us from Miami to Fort Lauderdale. I think it likely the captain would have held the ship for the large contingent of West Coast flyers booked by one of their top agencies.

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

I think if you compared the on-time statistics from way back when to nowadays, you would find that planes were usually on time then, especially a fine weather non-stop flight on a jumbo jet.

So you think that today a "fine weather non-stop flight on a jumbo jet" today will delay take off for no good reason? LOL Wrong. If necessary they will delay take off for any of the same reasons it might have happened yesteryear. But you seem intent on believing in the sanctity of "the good old days" so whatever. :rolleyes: