Replacing a passport after check-in

juanarcin

Hello all, I have a cruise in June that I already checked into via Carnival's website. This past weekend though, I traveled for business and for the first time ever I had a hard time getting through with my passport.

The problem was that I am starting to look different than my photo. For starters when I took the photo I was working for a company that forced me to shave off my facial hair (company policy). But I prefer facial hair and have always had a goatee (except for a few months when I took the passport photo!). That hasn't been a big deal and I've always traveled with no issues now that I have facial hair, but this time I've lost a significant amount of weight and for the first time in recent travel I had to provide additional ID to get through the airport.

my question is...this made me strongly consider getting a new passport just to update my photo. I have enough time, but my concern is, will it have the same passport number?will it complicate things on the side of Carnival since I've already entered all my info? I'm guessing worst case scenario I can just update the info on the website or by calling, but don't want to just make that assumption and have to deal with a headache. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Have you thought of shaving it and growing it back on the cruise????

I would CALL the passport office and ask them. Then your answer will be official not what someone here thinks. I'm going to go look and see if I got the same number when I renewed my passport!

Have you thought of shaving it and growing it back on the cruise????

I would CALL the passport office and ask them. Then your answer will be official not what someone here thinks. I'm going to go look and see if I got the same number when I renewed my passport!

Thanks for the reply! Shaving it off would be a solution only if it becomes a critical emergency! Otherwise it's not an option lol. I hated the way I looked without it so badly that it was one of the main reasons I left that job!

I did some research online and it seems that the numbers would not be the same. However it was slightly unclear and left it open to different possibilities.

It said thefirst few numbers on passports have significance such as where the passport originated from, for example one number represents a certain state while another number represents a certain country. So every time you get a new passport from a new location, the number would change. Interesting facts! but it still doesn't really answer the question, what if I got it from the same location? would that have the same first few numbers which are the ones that vary? Are there more numbers that change for various reasons? Such as Date it was issued? Number of times it has been issued? The weather on the day it was issued?!?!?

Either way I guess taking your advice and calling them directly might be the best solution. Thanks!

In a question this important it is best to go to the State Department since they issue passports.

According to their website (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/FAQs.html):

Do I need to take a new photo if my appearance has changed?

New photos are only required if your appearance has significantly changed from what is in your photo. Growing a beard or coloring your hair would not constitute a significant change. If you can still be identified from the photo in your current passport, you do not need to apply for a new passport.

You may have to apply for a new passport if you have:

• Undergone significant facial surgery or trauma
  • Added or removed numerous/large facial piercings or tattoos
  • Undergone a significant amount of weight loss or gain
  • Made a gender transition

If the appearance of your child under the age of 16 has changed due to the normal aging process, you do not need to apply for a new passport for him or her.

I already have a passport and my appearance has changed significantly, do I need to apply for a new passport?

If you can still be identified from the photo in your current passport, you do not need to apply for a new passport. You may have to apply for a new passport if you have:

• Undergone significant facial surgery or trauma

• Added or removed numerous or large facial piercings or tattoos

• Undergone a significant amount of weight loss or gain

Given that advice and in order to avoid potential problems, I would get a new passport now and update my record upon receipt.

Edited by capriccio

I think it a good idea you get a new passport to avoid potential problems.

I just renewed mine and it is an entirely new number.

No problem for you to edit your cruise check in. When you get the new passport

number, you can enter that new number.

FYI, as I stated, I just renewed my passport and seeing I was in no hurry, I did not request expedited or overnight mail and from day I sent the application, check, photo and old passport until I received my new passport (and passport card) was just about 3 weeks. Could not have been easier or more efficient.