New Ships

cwisleman

Hear hear to all of these comments. We just sailed Azamara and it was very nice, not Seabourn, but we knew it wouldn't be. But just whilst waiting to board in Miami terminal we headed towards some comfortable sofas only to be turned away as they were for suite guests. We just grinned at each other and said "we must remember not to say 'they wouldn't do that on Seabourn' all the time!"

Dear all

You are exactly the reason we have 150+ days on Seabourn. We have met some truly remarkable people with diverse views, opinions and life experiences - some have become forever friends. Hopefully this will continue without any contrived segregation.

• 4 weeks later...

Selling the 3 little sisters and replace them by bigger ships is serious mistake of policy. What is the advantage of Seabourn today??? They now in more or less the same category as Oceania or Azamara. There Oceania with 3 x 680 and 2 x 1200 passengers took another ship more... 680 passengers, so they went back to smaller.

If I see that with the nice Seabourn Yachts, we have been through the canal of Corinth, we have done the nice small ports of Croatia and others. Big ones canot get there.

Well there is one company who took the place : Ponant!!!

They are now in an all inclusive system. The tips system of $ 15 per day per person did not exist with them as it is forbidden by French law. (Service charges in Hotel and restaurant sectors must be included)

And they will take more market as they just ordered 4 NEW ships in similar style 92 cabins! They will offer programs that the bigger canot offer. Excellent descision!!

I regret the former Seabourn but in the actual system I don't have any interest to make cruises with them anymore.

Reviews of Ponant are very mixed, particularly from those who are not French or speak good French. Some speak of a bit of a 'them and us' attitude on board. However, they are obviously doing well, if they have ordered 4 new ships.

Good luck with Ponant

Personally I think they are so far below Seabourn that they do not offer any serious threat at all.

The question may arise, what is Seabourn today? They are most definitely not the same line that ran the Pride, Spirit and Legend. No longer the Yachts and that staff (software that made things magic) are for the most part no longer their either.

Emperor Norton,

Seabourn today: world class, best brand in sector, consistent and superb service and amenties across the fleet, appealing to a new and wider demographic, meeting global environmental standards, true cruise ships for longer cruises, extremely friendly, outgoing and confident staff who make the cruise experience unique, one sitting evening dining, incomparable benefits (e.g. after 250 days a free 2 week cruise).

Seabourn yesterday: world class in a smaller world, virtually no verandas, no Seabourn Square-like amenity, 30% less space per passenger with ships that could not vary their itineraries e.g. for cruises longer than 2 weeks in challenging conditions and destinations, thereby limiting the brand to a limited, niche market.

But about the rest... Please do visit Ponant, small ship Seadream and/or Windstar for the nostalgia. I would be interested in your reports.

Sometimes change is for the good, Seabourn's future in this case. But as everyone has choices and can constantly revisit them, we are indeed fortunate.

Happy sailing!

The question may arise, what is Seabourn today? They are most definitely not the same line that ran the Pride, Spirit and Legend. No longer the Yachts and that staff (software that made things magic) are for the most part no longer their either.

No, Seabourn is definitely not the same as to was with the triplets. That said, it's still the best out there excluding perhaps Europa 2.

Good luck with Ponant

Personally I think they are so far below Seabourn that they do not offer any serious threat at all.

Spent a week on Le Ponant. Nice ship, average service and food.

No, Seabourn is definitely not the same as to was with the triplets. That said, it's still the best out there excluding perhaps Europa 2.

Agree but some serious competition is coming over the next couple of years. They better understand the importance of the base - which from what I have seen is not being catered to anymore - trying to attract new pax.Yet who are the majority of pax on any SB cruise, repeat pax.

Like Markham, for us Seabourn is the best line - at present. And we have tried the other comparatively small luxury lines, each more than once: Regent, Silversea and Seadream. I admit we have not tried Europa, and are not likely to. But our best would not be everyone's best. Anyone who can afford the expense and time should try several before making their own decision as to the best for them.

However, there is what looks like serious competition coming fairly soon, so all the other lines and ships need to give thought to what they provide.

Agree but some serious competition is coming over the next couple of years. They better understand the importance of the base - which from what I have seen is not being catered to anymore - trying to attract new pax.Yet who are the majority of pax on any SB cruise, repeat pax.

If anything better comes along I'm sure we'll all be aware of it.

Just looked at the SB blogs, and see that the charge for the new cabanas is from $350 per couple per day. Also, strangely, there is something about cruises to Cuba on the blog page which appears to be done by a TA, to do with a ship from another line, and nothing to do with Seabourn.

Also, strangely, there is something about cruises to Cuba on the blog page which appears to be done by a TA, to do with a ship from another line, and nothing to do with Seabourn.

That line is owned by Seabourn parent Carnival. All the brands are promoting that line right now as the current travel restrictions still limit US resident travel to Cuba although we can now travel for "educational" or humanitarian purposes. By forming a new cruise line specifically for those itineraries, they can satisfy the waiver requirement by promoting them a specific way. Definitely not Seabourn, but at least there is an option for those who really want to visit via cruise!

Edited by jenidallas