New Ships

cwisleman

What possible justification can you have for thinking that when looking at the plans for Encore?

Have I missed the rock wall, crèche, kids club and Ministry of Sound sponsored night club? Surely the lack of a laundry is more likely to put off younger cruisers with families and those active enough to work out in the gym.

Do old people not like dining choice?

Henry :)

Hi Henry. Of course us old people like dining choice. My point is that shipping lines design and build to the projected tastes and needs of those who will be around during the proposed ship's life span. Presently, that aint us.:eek: The new Encore is doing the "airline thing" in that it is a bit larger but a bit less passenger/space ratio. More rears in more seats in other words. The passenger to crew ratio is slightly less. Just my observation that the future is "more is less" and you will like it".:eek: There will be "luxury" brands just as there will be "fun ship" brands. All the ships coming from but a few yards. Just as Cunard is no longer in the transport business but in the entertainment business, Seabourn is straying far away from the Little Triplets Hi-Lux service and dining. I have sailed only the Little Girls on Seabourn so am basing the changes on postings by long term Seabourn folk including yourself. I have seen the exact re configuring, if you will, on many other lines that used to have high reputations for food and service. Just the way of the world, more and more people everywhere, even on your favorite cruise line.:D

What possible justification can you have for thinking that when looking at the plans for Encore?

Have I missed the rock wall, crèche, kids club and Ministry of Sound sponsored night club? Surely the lack of a laundry is more likely to put off younger cruisers with families and those active enough to work out in the gym.

Do old people not like dining choice?

I'm astonished that those active enough to work up a sweat in the gym can also find an available washing machine for their kit. It always seemed to me that the launderettes were noticeable for the lack of availability.

Those of us cruising in steerage would simply rinse out the gear in the bathroom and hang it to dry over the bath. That said, I like the idea of hanging it out on the veranda. Anything to break up the monotonous white of the ship's paintwork.

I'm astonished that those active enough to work up a sweat in the gym can also find an available washing machine for their kit. It always seemed to me that the launderettes were noticeable for the lack of availability.

Those of us cruising in steerage would simply rinse out the gear in the bathroom and hang it to dry over the bath. That said, I like the idea of hanging it out on the veranda. Anything to break up the monotonous white of the ship's paintwork.

LOL.:eek: I have to agree. It would go along with the request for info over on another Carnival Brand's board about bringing fishing gear on board for the great fishing off the balcony......:eek::D And we thought smoking on the balconies was a problem.:D

But how is building larger ships alienating older passengers?

If you are suggesting that as older passengers you would rather pay higher fares and cruise on smaller ships then fair enough but I think aiming to keep prices affordable benefits everyone, in fact with older single cruisers the need for affordable fares is crucial because they pay twice as much as us younger couples.

The 3 small ships have gone, the larger ships have been out for quite a while now. Seabourn needs to keep up with the times and old dated ships isn't viable these days I'm afraid. As it is Seabourn offer vastly more space per passenger and tiny passenger numbers compared to mass cruising. Scale of economy has to work, we shall see what 600 pax looks like in December but 450 works just fine.

I don't accept that Seabourn are ignoring the over 50 market, quite the opposite.

Edited by Able Seaman H

Sorry, but I just cannot grasp how anyone can comment knowledgably on Seabourn - past, present and future - unless he/she has sailed on the Odyssey class ships. Odyssey has been sailing since 2009 and it's 2016 now with Encore due in 9 months.

There is, of course, a lot of buzz about Encore, which I would define as excitement, thirst for more specific design details (how 'bout it, Seattle?) and plenty of bookings by those on board Odyssey now (like me) for the inaugural season. It will have multiple senior hotel department officers and cruise staff involved pre- those sailings with testing and delivery who will be together on those early season sailings.

We look forward to a smooth launch and fun inaugural season! I will never forget the inauguration with those fireworks for Odyssey in Venice in 2009. Encore in Singapore will be a triumph too, for sure.

Happy sailing!

Of course you are right and I have not sailed on any but the no longer Seabourn little trio. My comments were intended to be directed at the cruise industry in general. Hard to deny that all lines continually creep larger and larger with less "personal service". Even Crystal has announced 100,000 GRT ships but for "only" 1,000 passengers. Time will tell as to how that plays out. I was not trying to upset any Seabourn regulars, just passing a comment about the state of the state, so to speak. Happy sailing to all.

Hi Henry. Of course us old people like dining choice. My point is that shipping lines design and build to the projected tastes and needs of those who will be around during the proposed ship's life span. Presently, that aint us.:eek: The new Encore is doing the "airline thing" in that it is a bit larger but a bit less passenger/space ratio. More rears in more seats in other words. The passenger to crew ratio is slightly less. Just my observation that the future is "more is less" and you will like it".:eek: There will be "luxury" brands just as there will be "fun ship" brands. All the ships coming from but a few yards. Just as Cunard is no longer in the transport business but in the entertainment business, Seabourn is straying far away from the Little Triplets Hi-Lux service and dining. I have sailed only the Little Girls on Seabourn so am basing the changes on postings by long term Seabourn folk including yourself. I have seen the exact re configuring, if you will, on many other lines that used to have high reputations for food and service. Just the way of the world, more and more people everywhere, even on your favorite cruise line.:D

Comments based on a category that no longer exists (and that has been well and truly superseded by the Odyssey class ships) and without experiencing what is currently offered, seems a bit pointless. Our experience, having been on every ship in the fleet (current and previous) is that Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest offer so much more and set a new (higher) standard in all areas compared to the "little sisters".

Some may prefer the intimacy of the little sisters, but I certainly don't miss the aging plumbing, ridiculous pool and relative lack of dining options. My experience is that the staff, service and food remain similar.

Having been on the inaugural Quest cruise we are also booked for the same on Encore. Hopefully the Quest experience is repeated. Whether Encore (without Laundrettes) is better we are happy to wait and see. The one thing we can be sure of, given the itinerary and time of year, is hot, humid weather and the possibility of a cyclone!! The effectiveness of the aircon will be tested.

Comments based on a category that no longer exists (and that has been well and truly superseded by the Odyssey class ships) and without experiencing what is currently offered, seems a bit pointless. Our experience, having been on every ship in the fleet (current and previous) is that Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest offer so much more and set a new (higher) standard in all areas compared to the "little sisters".

Some may prefer the intimacy of the little sisters, but I certainly don't miss the aging plumbing, ridiculous pool and relative lack of dining options. My experience is that the staff, service and food remain similar.

Having been on the inaugural Quest cruise we are also booked for the same on Encore. Hopefully the Quest experience is repeated. Whether Encore (without Laundrettes) is better we are happy to wait and see. The one thing we can be sure of, given the itinerary and time of year, is hot, humid weather and the possibility of a cyclone!! The effectiveness of the aircon will be tested.

The little sisters may have been replaced by the Odyssey class (and now Encore) but I wouldn't say that's a good thing in every instance. In many cases its been painfully obvious which crew members had little ship experience versus those that have only been on the big ships. Then there are the design features on the Odyssey class that just seem poorly thought out and not tested (limited view of the entertainers in the club, all weather negatively impacting the outdoor non-smoking bar while the smokers bar has around the same coverage as the little ships, walking past suites to reach the Observation bar, some of the suites only being accessible via stairs, same bad sight lines in the lounge). Then theres that wee issue of tendering. Then there's tendering - that will really let you know how big or small a ship is.

We have cruised on all 6 Seabourn ships. While the little ones had, to my mind, the more attractive grand salons, clubs, and observation lounges, the larger ones win over by virtue of more dining areas - especially outdoors - and the Square. And a decent pool and the patio grill and bar, where smoking is not allowed.

We travelled recently on a 700 passenger ship (and it was full) and did find it to be too much of a good thing, even though the space ratio was good. Seabourn lost 600 spaces on selling the little ships, and will regain them Encore. Seems to make sense.

I think we will continue to feel that 450 is about the ideal maximum, but still interested to see how Encore works out - and although we are pretty old, we do not get the impression that Seabourn are trying to cater more for younger people. Apart perhaps from the more casual dining style and dress code, which suits us fine.

I'm feeling looked after every time I sail with Seabourn and I am over fifty although I look ten years younger than Henry.

I know,life is like that sometimes,it's not fair but just deal with it[emoji1]

You might want to get your prescription checked prior to Dec and not just the glasses. Have you forgotten to take the purple pills again this week :)

They all thought you were Father Christmas last time we cruised together :)

Henry

You might want to get your prescription checked prior to Dec and not just the glasses. Have you forgotten to take the purple pills again this week :)

They all thought you were Father Christmas last time we cruised together :)

Henry

Anyone seen my nurse!

If the advertising illustrations are anything to go by, for a few years now Seabourn has been using models who appear to be in their fifties, happily now with some of non-white appearance, but definitely no children. Obviously they are all good looking and slim, unlike many of the genuine passengers! But that does seem to be the demographic being appealed to.

Most of the 'big ship' advertising pictures tend to show people in their 20's or 30's, and with children, presumably the group they hope to appeal to. Though Swan Hellenic and Saga do show a few venerably grey haired individuals - the clientele they have and want to encourage.

Of course you are right and I have not sailed on any but the no longer Seabourn little trio. My comments were intended to be directed at the cruise industry in general. Hard to deny that all lines continually creep larger and larger with less "personal service". Even Crystal has announced 100,000 GRT ships but for "only" 1,000 passengers. Time will tell as to how that plays out. I was not trying to upset any Seabourn regulars, just passing a comment about the state of the state, so to speak. Happy sailing to all.

Those new Crystal ships will also have condos on the top decks. Can't wait to see how they'll plan itineraries for those who sail for seven or twelve days and for those who have paid millions of dollars for a condo and have totally different needs and expectations about where they want to go and how long they want to spend in each port.

I posted this on another thread - don't know if any of you were similarly "surveyed"

I was aghast to receive a Seabourn survey recently asking thoughts on some type of exclusive pool and spa area for 30 couples at a higher price with access to special canapes (yup, that's all you need, more food!), concierge service and higher end drinks. Seabourn seem to be losing the plot as to why people travel with them - there is no elitism, there is no need on a small ship, everyone is the same and you meet some truly interesting travellers. It seems the larger new ship might be prompting some of the same selling tactics as other cheaper lines. Is this yet another shade of Holland America's infriltration together with the downward slide on the food quality and imagination.

We loved the smaller ships. The Odyssey class is OK, but a tad too large. I guess we will have to dip our toes at some stage on Encore, but I'm quite worried. We might have to start looking elsewhere. Perhaps Ponant?

If this is really the case it would change things for us. I love the fact that everyone is treated the same no matter what cabin (suite) they are are in. It is what makes Seabourn Seabourn. We travel v6,or penthouse but who cares,we have looked at other lines with class distinction but have dismissed them because of that.

Yes, whomever is monitoring these boards please tell the powers that be not do away with the "all passengers are created equal" atmosphere on Seabourn. It is one of the things that brought me to Seabourn 15 years ago after a very unpleasant crossing on the QE2 and it is one of the things that keeps me coming back.

I wasn't approached to do the survey but I agree 100% with the sentiment of all Seabourn guests being created equal. On every other line all you hear about is status in the loyalty programme, what cabin you have and so on. The great appeal of Seabourn is knowing everyone feels the love.

This is particularly relevant to new cruisers. I have introduced a number of friends & family to Seabourn, the most recent of whom take their first cruise this summer. Being able to assure them everyone gets full run of the ship is paramount.

We would cast our net further afield if Seabourn introduced restricted areas. I can just picture the scene, you strike up a conversation, get invited to join your new found friends and have to decline on the basis you aren't allowed to go there, wherever "there" might be. How humiliating.

Concentrate on delivering the best possible experience for everyone. For those seeking additional privacy there are already premium suites with lounging areas, extended balconies and hot tubs.

Edited by Able Seaman H

I wasn't approached to do the survey but I agree 100% with the sentiment of all Seabourn guests being created equal. On every other line all you hear about is status in the loyalty programme, what cabin you have and so on. The great appeal of Seabourn is knowing everyone feels the love.

This is particularly relevant to new cruisers. I have introduced a number of friends & family to Seabourn, the most recent of whom take their first cruise this summer. Being able to assure them everyone gets full run of the ship is paramount.

We would cast our net further afield if Seabourn introduced restricted areas. I can just picture the scene, you strike up a conversation, get invited to join your new found friends and have to decline on the basis you aren't allowed to go there, wherever "there" might be. How humiliating.

I agree! The other lines have plenty of the have and haven't division. I sure Seabourn is eyeing the dollars spent by some of the other line's "haves" and wondering how to attract that.

Personally, I'd rather be on Seabourn where everyone is in the in crowd.

Edited by jenidallas

The relative pennies raised in charges would be swamped by the exiting footfall from people who felt alienated. If you need more money either spread the load across all 600 guests or sort out your excursions so they don't leave at the crack of dawn returning to the ship in the middle of the day when you don't leave until the evening.

We have never taken an excursion for that reason and I suspect we are not alone. Given the astronomical profit margins (our private taxis are always a fraction of the tour costs), that is your revenue stream to tap into if you want more cash, not sectioning off public areas on the ship.

May I add my name to the list - hoping this time that Head Office do read and maybe take note.

If you do have a lot of days with Seabourn, there are a few quiet perks you get - free laundry, a newspaper in your suite (sometimes) and a percentage off some of the extras. All discreet, and nearly all Seabourn passengers are not the type to flaunt, nor the type who ask everyone where their suite is how much they paid. Thank goodness, and long may it last.