SO! Carnival balcony or Royal Caribbean interior??

mcroadman

I've been on numerous cruises and have sailed on both lines. I've sailed in all the categories such as inside, porthole, ocean view, balcony and the suite. I'm not a party type at all but it seems like I'm in the cabin to take a nap, get cleaned, or to go to bed for the night. I do like a inside cabin for sleeping as it's dark during the day for naps. My preference would be a balcony, but as long as I'm on the ship...I'm happy. I have a cruise booked with Carnival and I in a inside room on the lido deck due to cost of the ocean view and balcony cabins. It was $800 more total to have a balcony. I couldn't justify spending the extra cost just to have the balcony. I'd rather spend the savings on excursions and things in port and still have money left over.

I'm a fan of both cruise lines, but for the same price...I'd go with the inside and have the extra 2 days on the ship. The Liberty is a good ship.

We are looking at pricing and comparing rooms.

We have a Carnival room with balcony- but have to drive to port and have a hotel stay.

Or for about the same cost- Royal Caribbean for an interior room - at local port?????

We have cruised once - and loved the balcony- on Disney!! But we have never been on Carnival or R. C.

Any suggestions from those big cruisers out there!

We want to save money..

Is the balcony better than a little luxury on the RC experience?

Is the food better on R.C.?

What to do??

Thanks!

I had to laugh when I saw your title, I'm sure you have gotten lots of suggestions and I dont have time to read them all, but..... We are booked interior on RCCL, then the next week are hopping on a Carnival Balcony. :) Sort of a B2B. Best of both worlds.

Liberty of the Seas 7 days HANDS DOWN! Better ship, longer itinerary, and you sail from your local port which will be saving you money!

Why does it have to be interior OR balcony? How about going halfway and getting an oceanview stateroom? I would gladly sacrifice the balcony to sail on a considerably better ship like the Liberty of the Seas for 7 nights, but the inside stateroom would be almost a deal breaker. I would splurge a tiny bit and get at least a window.

We are looking at pricing and comparing rooms.

We have a Carnival room with balcony- but have to drive to port and have a hotel stay.

Or for about the same cost- Royal Caribbean for an interior room - at local port?????

We have cruised once - and loved the balcony- on Disney!! But we have never been on Carnival or R. C.

Any suggestions from those big cruisers out there!

We want to save money..

Is the balcony better than a little luxury on the RC experience?

Is the food better on R.C.?

What to do??

Thanks!

It is all in how you look at it. We are doing an Inside on the next Royal Cruise. In December the Balcony on the Carnival Magic was 200 more. I prefer Carnival, IMO, the price difference is not really worth it on Royal. Much older crowd, at least the two we completed. Not the same activities that Carnival offers, MDR service equal. Carnival more overall food choices and longer hours in which to eat that seems to fit into your schedule.

We really like our balcony rooms on Carnival but cannot justify the price that Royal charges for them.

Much older crowd.

It also attracts an older crowd.

I don't get these comments about Royal's crowd being "much older" than Carnival. I've cruise several times on both of these cruise lines since the 1990's (Platinum on both) and I've found the age and demographics to be almost identical. Main difference that I've noticed is that Royal seems to attract a more international crowd while Carnival seems to attract a more local crowd. But age wise, I still haven't found a considerable difference. More subdued on Royal? Yes. Older? No.

Edited by Tapi

Id take Liberty OTS then. Longer cruise, much newer, bigger and better ship and no airfare. Freedom class rocks. There is so much to do you wont be spending much time in your cabin.

JMO.

Ditto. Ive sailed her sister ships. The Liberty and Triumpth are very different ships although I havent sailed on the Triumpth Id take the longer cruise on Liberty, which is a great ship.

I cruise on both lines. We love the oasis class. Freedom class too. We like the dream class on carnival. We only do balconies as well. The food is equal but we love all the options on breeze. Royal ships are much nicer in my opinion. The shows can not even compete with each other. Royal hands down. The cabins are slightly smaller on royal. But again you can not compare carnival to royals mega ships. I would definitely take royal though.

For sure take a 7 day over a 5 day, the cruise always flys by too fast.

I have sailed on both ships. I must admit the food in the MDR on the RCL ships just don't do it for me. Much prefer the food on Carnival. Also love the larger cabins on Carnival.

That being said the LOS is a great ship and you won't starve. If you book LOS make sure to reserve your shows before sailing.

Many of my cruises have been in inside cabins, I have had a balcony now about 5 or 6 times. A balcony is nice but I have no problem with an inside cabin. I did find it fun being on the balcony and watching all the last minute passengers running to make the ship.

Edited by sunshine002

My initial criteria is the ITINERARY. Since I love to explore each port, with a private guide, this is my initial consideration.

Then I compare the cruise lines offering that itinerary.

I believe that the difference between RCCL and CCL, is miniscule. The newer the ship, the better, IMO.

Lastly, compare pricing. Any military discounts, etc.

I don't get these comments about Royal's crowd being "much older" than Carnival. I've cruise several times on both of these cruise lines since the 1990's (Platinum on both) and I've found the age and demographics to be almost identical. Main difference that I've noticed is that Royal seems to attract a more international crowd while Carnival seems to attract a more local crowd. But age wise, I still haven't found a considerable difference. More subdued on Royal? Yes. Older? No.

The cruise on Royal to Alaska and Bermuda had a much larger older 60 plus age population compared to many of the other cruises we have sailed one. One review said it was like being in a Leisure World commercial. And I have to agree with them. Hoping for a more varied demographic on a Caribbean cruise with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok wait so isn't the rc ship out of Fort Lauderdale? And the the Triumph is out of Galveston but will be moving to New Orleans? You have a lot more options in Florida then Galveston or New Orleans. I don't think it's fare to compare being one is a 7 night and is a 5 night. The price comparison should be same time frame. We have been on both cruise lines. Although I will say Celebrity is by far our favorite for a kid free experience. But you said you will be going with your 16 year old. Have you checked prices in Miami that isn't far from there. We love going out of Miami. And a 7 night you will have a better selection of different ports. We went on Glory last year and the ports were Half Moon Cay, Turks and Caicos, San Juan. We loved it especially HMC. We prefer eastern and southern cruising over western. I would keep looking and check out your many options. But I will say I prefer 7 nights over 5 because you get a longer time to relax. Where as a 5 day you just get settled in and boom time to pack and leave.

Agree 100%. Definitely an international crowd, and not overrun with old folks.

I really appreciate so much interest and opinion on my question. I realized I need to think about what I really enjoy about cruising and is a balcony so important?? One thing I felt while on the ship was there was so much to do, I almost couldn't relax and do nothing on our balcony... rather like going to a fab food buffet- you don't eat slow and enjoy the conversation! Not sure why!??-- but there is nothing like watching the sun rise over the AMAZING blue waters of the caribbean!! or the moon rise or watching you coming into port in your night gown.. or watching the flying fish! ( No one told me about the incredible flying fish! I was blown away!)

So we will serious consider the R.C. cruise and maybe the extra $500 for the balcony! -- cause my husband, who is not going, is generous. and the ship is nicer and the port is in town!

But new question! ??? Would you take an interior room if you were near a quiet balcony that had nice lounge chairs on deck?? Are there a few hidden spots like that on the back ?

I didn't see too many nice lounge chairs, away from pools, where it is quiet and you can read, on the Disney Magic.

I will post this question on the R. Caribbean section.

I am learning a lot and hope to enjoy a relaxing 7 days cruise in June or July!

Thank you fun and devoted cruisers for you opinions and suggestions.

Mary

I would do the Liberty of the Seas. We are going on the Liberty in May to try something different. From what I have heard, the Liberty is a beautiful ship. The Triumph is older and smaller. It is only 5 day cruise which goes to Progreso and Cozumel correct? Let me say, that Progreso is NASTY and there is nothing to do there. The Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston have better itineraries. How much more would it be from an interior to an ocean view on the Liberty?

They are pricing me out too :o This one would be a no brainer, at least for me though.

Take the 7 day over 5. I like RC better in every way, but they've gotten very pricey.

Carnival has gone way up. The price was one of the reasons why we decided to do Liberty OTS instead of Carnival for our May cruise. We could get an Ocean View on the Liberty for $500 less then for an Interior on Carnival. The Liberty also came with a $200 OBC.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

We usually do Carnival. Last November did a Royal Caribbean in a Promenade interior room on mid 6th deck. It was nice and we liked it. The food and overall service as well as the debarkation process in Port Everglades was great but otherwise did not care for it at all and will not be doing another RC cruise again. We did several years ago Royal Caribbean cruises prior to Carnival. Thought we would try it again because we enjoyed our previous ones but were so disappointed....embarkation was horrible., shows sub par, few activities. Definitely not the "get up and go" that you see and feel on Carnival. And yes, a cruise is what you make it and we did...rest and relax but a little more than we expected to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by tilliebob1919