Helicopter & Glacier walkabout, Juneau

ABQrobin

My DH just announced to me this week that I needed to change our excursion for Juneau. Fine, no problem. When I asked what he wanted to do, he wasn't sure. Last night he decided... he MUST walk on top of a glacier. So that means I am looking at all the helicopter-glacier tours now. We have watched dozens of videos on Vimeo and YouTube... all look great. Our cruise is in June, so it isn't crazy short notice, but I do have questions.

One is only 2.5 hours long but gives only 20-30 minutes ON the glacier.

One is 3.5 hours long and gives you an hour ON the glacier.

Obviously, I am leaning towards the longer one, only problem is that it starts later (the short one has multiple times, 7:45am, 8:45am, etc). The longer one would mean that we don't return to the ship until 1pm if we do the earliest one, and our ship leaves at 3pm. That is not much time to get food and do anything else but a quick dash to shop at the dock.

The shorter one would give us time to eat on the ship, change clothes, and still hit the Tram, shop, etc.

Anyone..... have you done BOTH? Is the extra time on the glacier significant in enjoyment? Was the shorter one too short? Felt rushed?

Gotta decide soon... the longer one is almost sold out. Shorter one has plenty of spots at each time.

thanks!

My DH just announced to me this week that I needed to change our excursion for Juneau. Fine, no problem. When I asked what he wanted to do, he wasn't sure. Last night he decided... he MUST walk on top of a glacier. So that means I am looking at all the helicopter-glacier tours now. We have watched dozens of videos on Vimeo and YouTube... all look great. Our cruise is in June, so it isn't crazy short notice, but I do have questions.

One is only 2.5 hours long but gives only 20-30 minutes ON the glacier.

One is 3.5 hours long and gives you an hour ON the glacier.

Obviously, I am leaning towards the longer one, only problem is that it starts later (the short one has multiple times, 7:45am, 8:45am, etc). The longer one would mean that we don't return to the ship until 1pm if we do the earliest one, and our ship leaves at 3pm. That is not much time to get food and do anything else but a quick dash to shop at the dock.

The shorter one would give us time to eat on the ship, change clothes, and still hit the Tram, shop, etc.

Anyone..... have you done BOTH? Is the extra time on the glacier significant in enjoyment? Was the shorter one too short? Felt rushed?

Gotta decide soon... the longer one is almost sold out. Shorter one has plenty of spots at each time.

thanks!

OK, I'm going to be blunt- you HAVE to use your short port time, returning to the ship and eating? You have to change clothes?

There are many different helicopter tours, longer always equals "more". Not sure, what you are looking at with the 1 hour tour? IF it is with Northstar- I find their 1 hour trek hardly worth the time, you barely get your crampons on, when you're turning back. IF going on a trek, I only recommend the level 3. I find, the longer double landing tours, in my opinion, being superior to a longer stop on a glacier.

Depends on your priority? How are you booking this?

I'm with BQ, what is the fascination of going back to the ship? Yeah the food is free, but cruise are almost always about the destination.

Helicopter are so pricey, perhaps pricing the cost/minute might help you.

There of course is a lot to do in Juneau so maybe shorter ride and more time in port might be good too.

OK, I'm going to be blunt- you HAVE to use your short port time, returning to the ship and eating? You have to change clothes?

There are many different helicopter tours, longer always equals "more". Not sure, what you are looking at with the 1 hour tour? IF it is with Northstar- I find their 1 hour trek hardly worth the time, you barely get your crampons on, when you're turning back. IF going on a trek, I only recommend the level 3. I find, the longer double landing tours, in my opinion, being superior to a longer stop on a glacier.

Depends on your priority? How are you booking this?

as far as going back to ship for lunch... we are have had problems in the past wasting time in a restaurant in town at other ports... on the ship we can run up to Lido, grab something quick, and hit the ground running again, no time wasted. Don't tell me to skip lunch or eat a granola bar, I eat healthy but I do eat.

as far as going back to room to change clothes... what I mean is that on the glacier we will have coat, gloves, hats, etc that we might want to drop off. Nothing more. That way we aren't carrying them around if we don't need them in town.

Who are we booking with? We are open but it seems like Carnival has the exact same tours as all the helicopter tours for the same price or within a few dollars.

I'm with BQ, what is the fascination of going back to the ship? Yeah the food is free, but cruise are almost always about the destination.

Helicopter are so pricey, perhaps pricing the cost/minute might help you.

There of course is a lot to do in Juneau so maybe shorter ride and more time in port might be good too.

Yes, so much to do in Juneau.... we have been struggling with this since we booked last summer. There are at least a dozen things we want to do there. We have pretty much decided that we'll be doing another Alaska trip in the future.

I like to eat as much as anyone, actually looking at me you would say more. But my experience in Alaska is food takes a back seat to all the activities and sites to see. Logistically trying to get back on board the ship to eat lunch on Lido and drop clothes off is probably going to take much longer than you are imagining. The shuttle from the glacier tour will probably take you directly through the shops and areas you will want to explore, jump off there. You will spend a lot of your little time back tracking.

You may want to consider a nice back pack(many find them a necessity in Alaska) to put your layers in while you explore the city, eliminating the need for the return ship trip.

Finally, the longer the time on the ice the better. As BQ said multiple stops can be even better.

I like to eat as much as anyone, actually looking at me you would say more. But my experience in Alaska is food takes a back seat to all the activities and sites to see. Logistically trying to get back on board the ship to eat lunch on Lido and drop clothes off is probably going to take much longer than you are imagining. The shuttle from the glacier tour will probably take you directly through the shops and areas you will want to explore, jump off there. You will spend a lot of your little time back tracking.

You may want to consider a nice back pack(many find them a necessity in Alaska) to put your layers in while you explore the city, eliminating the need for the return ship trip.

Finally, the longer the time on the ice the better. As BQ said multiple stops can be even better.

thanks... I was thinking the tour dropped us off at the ship, not downtown. The backpack is a good idea. I read that they have lockers at the airport to put all belongings (can only take cameras on the helicopter). That would work.

My husband and I are big hikers, in fact, I am a local guide here for mountain hikes. We own our own microspikes for hiking on ice as we do it in winter here, so we are comfortable with all that. He was stationed in Greenland years ago, and did some glacier hiking and is just wanting to do it again. I think this is going to be a blast.

thanks... I was thinking the tour dropped us off at the ship, not downtown. The backpack is a good idea. I read that they have lockers at the airport to put all belongings (can only take cameras on the helicopter). That would work.

My husband and I are big hikers, in fact, I am a local guide here for mountain hikes. We own our own microspikes for hiking on ice as we do it in winter here, so we are comfortable with all that. He was stationed in Greenland years ago, and did some glacier hiking and is just wanting to do it again. I think this is going to be a blast.

It depends on your dock, ship tours do return to your dock, but if at AJ, usually give the option to be dropped at the tram lot/"downtown".

You are way overthinking perhaps. You don't need to be loaded down with mountain climbing attire. IF you aren't going with Northstar level 3 trek (which you haven't mentioned?) then all you need is a lined jacket and a layer underneath. Maybe hat and gloves, I usually haven't needed them, it isn't that cold with a regular single or double landing. I have done both.

Frankly I suggest you, instead of just looking at the shore excursions- go direct to the vendor information. There are 4 vendors, doesn't take a lot of time to see what each offers and their schedules, to see who may fit your time the best.

Finally, no one is mentioning a "granola bar" for lunch. You- put in your post, your time shortage, claiming needing a "return trip", and you haven't even gone yet. Picking up a take out lunch would save time- all that is being said. I also suggest you find out what dock you are at, another big time factor.

Edited by Budget Queen

Definitely layer up for a glacier walk.....having hiked one (not in Alaska, but in Iceland during winter), it can get warm. By the end of it, I was out of my jacket and into my base layer it got so warm....

Don't be fully layered when arriving at the vendor as you will be adding their layer. The glacier-walk excursion vendor provides outer clothing (jacket, pants, gloves, and boots) before boarding the helicopter. When you arrive at the glacier, you will be fitted with crampons and poles.

There is no need to bring anything except a camera as anything else is not permitted on the helicopter. Lockers are provided by the vendor to leave backpacks, purses, shoes, etc.

Edited by Crew News