Guarantee Room - Did I do the wrong thing?

Shelby210

Sailing on the Norwegian Escape and booked an inside room on the 12th floor where I paid $1,009 80 days till sailing. The prices were coming down online to $999 for a balcony which I really wanted but wasn't going to pay the $1,499 asking price at the time. I just had her change me to a guarantee balcony and won't know my room number until close to boarding. Did just make a big mistake? I'm new to cruising. :confused:

Sailing on the Norwegian Escape and booked an inside room on the 12th floor where I paid $1,009 80 days till sailing. The prices were coming down online to $999 for a balcony which I really wanted but wasn't going to pay the $1,499 asking price at the time. I just had her change me to a guarantee balcony and won't know my room number until close to boarding. Did just make a big mistake? I'm new to cruising. :confused:

I don't think that you did a mistake - generally there are no really bad balconies on new ships, all are at least ok. Experience wise balcony is much nicer than an inside.

Booking guarantee means you don't care where you room is. If you can be happy anywhere on the ship, you didn't do the wrong thing. You saved money!!!

I have always booked guarantee and have never been upset with my location. Bring a pair of ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.....

We just came back from a cruise and met a couple who had booked a guaranteed balcony and didn't know their room until they showed up to board. They ended up with a two bedroom family suite- with a balcony. This couple always books a guaranteed balcony and this is the first time something this "big" has ever happened but they are always happy with their room and told us they pay less consistently for what they get. Sounded intriguing to try. We were on a smaller ship - the Star. Best of luck with whatever happens and I'm sure you will enjoy everything.

How about a room which is next to a bar or theater? Or room right below the buffet?

I'm in the same boat as the OP.

We have been on 10 cruises in the past 2 years. Probably half with rooms under the buffet, by choice. No problem. Our selection criteria is a balcon, near a stairway, on the top deck, near the buffet (which normally places you under the buffet).

The noisiest room we ever had was a forward facing 2 bedroom haven suite because the sun deck was above us and the deck staff would pick the worst times of the night to reset the loungers.

• 7 months later...
Our parents just booked a inside guaranty. Will they be upgraded as sailing gets closer if they are Latitude members? They've sailed 3 times with Norwegian.

Does not matter, it's the luck of the draw anyway – Latitudes members or not.

Edit: In other words: there is no upgrade perk included in Latitudes perks of any level.

Edited by Demonyte

How about a room which is next to a bar or theater? Or room right below the buffet?

I'm in the same boat as the OP.

You won't be "next" to a bar or theater.. they are really on separate decks.. you may be just over one... but it would be very rare that it would be much of an issue for sound.

The only one that would be a concern for me is being assigned a balcony cabin right over the waterfront and just over the Five O'Clock Somewhere Bar as that's a smoking area of the waterfront.. but the chances of that are slim and maybe that wouldn't be a big deal to you...

But there are no obstructed balconies on the Escape and certainly no bad decks... you made a great move!! enjoy!

You won't be "next" to a bar or theater.. they are really on separate decks.. you may be just over one... but it would be very rare that it would be much of an issue for sound.

The only one that would be a concern for me is being assigned a balcony cabin right over the waterfront and just over the Five O'Clock Somewhere Bar as that's a smoking area of the waterfront.. but the chances of that are slim and maybe that wouldn't be a big deal to you...

But there are no obstructed balconies on the Escape and certainly no bad decks... you made a great move!! enjoy!

You are answering a thread from last February. They already sailed. :D

Our parents just booked a inside guaranty. Will they be upgraded as sailing gets closer if they are Latitude members? They've sailed 3 times with Norwegian.
It really depends on how full the sailing is. They booked an inside guarantee, so the bottom line is, they should be OK with having an inside room. There is of course a chance that they could get upgraded to an oceanview or balcony, but there are never any guarantees.

Same thing goes with booking a guaranteed balcony. There are countless posts on this board about people booking guaranteed balconies and then complaining to high heaven about the location of the cabin, or not being close to their travelling companions, etc.

If you're not particular and want to save money, book a guarantee. If things like placement and potential noise matter, then don't.

You did the right thing. I agree with all the other comments. I sailed 9/3 on the Escape and started in a solo and upgraded to balcony for $200 ended up in an Aft facing balcony for $37.00 more . So for $237 more than the $899 with the beverage and dining plus $100 OBC for an incredible balcony with 2 loungers and 2 chairs[emoji41]. Just keep checking the prices and call constantly to see what they can offer. I always ask for a free or reduced price upgrade.

Good Luck and happy cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you more than 75 days out? If so, cancel and rebook in a month or two.