Latest Guarantee Cabins Gamblers

Toad

So HAL talked with you about the possible upsell? I always thought they wouldn't if a cruise is booked through a travel agency?? It would be interesting rto know because I'd love to change to another cabin category at reduced rates ( which are sky-high right now with many cabins unsold yet) a few weeks before our cruise but my TA told me you can't ASK for an upsell but wait until HAL offers one to the TA who then can contact you. To me it seemed a VERY complicated system and one of the drawbacks of using an agency.

Yes, I was able to talk with HAL but change in cabin was through TA; plus with several suites still available so close to sailing; maybe that is why they talked with me. But I have called HAL direct in the past to learn of upsells even though my TA was not notified.

I do not think HAL gives reduce rates on a cabin after final payment

We are traveling on the Nieuw Amsterdam on March 6. Two of our cabins were guaranteed MM and the third was guaranteed IQ. Yesterday we got our rooms. Two cabins were on Veranda deck aft category L and one was on Panorama deck with no upgrade. This wasn't so good for us because my 93 year old mother is traveling in her own room and my sister and I (with our husbands) both wanted cabins near my mom.

I looked on the website and found three category L aft cabins in a row one floor below on Upper Promenade deck 4 and changed to those. So although my husband and I were downgraded from the spa room to the 4th floor I am very happy. Only ten more days!

Edited by emaoffive

• 2 months later...

We almost always do verandah gtys. Never been disappointed. Might be different for an inside/outside.

We are planning do a late booking Baltic cruise in late summer and a late booking Med cruise. Both will most likely be verandah gtys. No worries whatsoever. We go into it expecting the worst cabin location and we are always pleasantly surprised.

Always a better category than the gty. We are not overly fussy on location. More interested in having a cabin that has other cabins above and below, and a cabin without an adjoining door. So far, so good. We are fairly easy going. After all, if we get a great deal on a wonderful ship how bad can that really be? Our perspective is that it is more important to select the right ship/cruise line than it is to worry about the cabin assignment.

Edited by iancal

A couple days ago I booked a SB guarantee on the Maasdam

That is the best guarantee option on HAL! They recently changed the smaller ships Neptune categories from S to SA and a couple of SBs. IMO, they did this to be able to offer a lower price for Neptune suites (the SBs) but by offering only guarantees on them (most of the time this is true) they can charge more if you want an assigned cabin as you have to move up to an SA - great marketing move IMO!

On the Maasdam, all of the Neptune cabins are on the same deck as the Neptune Lounge and are mostly mid-ship, so the locations are all about the same. The only issue you might encounter is being assigned Cabin 030, which is handicap accessible, but since there is only one Neptune handicapped one, I think the risk is slight.

On the larger HAL ships the above does not apply, as there are many more Neptune cabins and some people might not like them (different deck than the Neptune Lounge, an aft cabin, being next to the glass mid-ship elevator, handicap accessible, etc.).

We are 3 star cruisers. I think we have booked a guarantee on almost every cruise we have taken. Unless we are cruising somewhere other than Caribbean or Alaska, we really don't care where the cabin is. Of course that could be because we haven't had a bad assignment yet. Most cabins are upgrades. We have never received up sells. We tend to book last minute. Just booked a 14 day on Maasdam leaving this weekend. We did an 11 day in January on Oosterdam and I think we booked it two days before departure. The fact is, we just don't spend that much time in our cabin.

I booked an SZ guarantee at $2,000 less than published rate pp. I knew the gamble and was willing to take it after years of having to pick cabins based on having one child in the room. I enjoy the suspense and we don't have any needs based on mobility, noise, etc.

So...I got an SY below the very edge of the pool which is totally acceptable and could have been worse. It is very much equivalent to the location of the "we need to fill the ship" SZ category.

It was assigned 10 days out after my TA called. I was not worried, just curious. No up sells were offered which I expected because all the Verandahs and up were labeled sold out.

Zuiderdam, Baltic Explorer out of Copenhagen.

Recently booked a guarantee "N" on the Veendam, 15 day Caribbean cruise, 3 weeks prior to sail date. Got upgraded/upsell for $149/person to a Vista suite!

Very nice!! Thanks for posting. I love hearing about these good deals and you are pretty good at getting them!

Edited by SilvertoGold

If you are springing for a gty you need to assume that you will get the absolute worst cabin the category, hope the best, an upgrade, or an upsell, and just be happy that you are on the ship. You pay your money and take your chances.

Otherwise book a specific cabin and be done with it.

It is all a matter or risk and reward. Just don't whine about it if the gty is not what you really wanted. You got what you paid for.

Edited by iancal

All Vista class have the 5001/2 cabins. They are HA cabins, and should be used for that purpose.

-The location at the prow is not ideal, as the ship movement is the worst.

-A third of the cabin is for a huge washroom to roll in a wheelchair.

-The toilet is in the shower, which necessitate removing the toilet paper when showering. If you forget, you get a wet roll.

-The usable cabin is smaller than an SY, and there is a wonky ramp to get the balcony.

-The couch is much smaller than the usual SY room, which is useless for laying down.

The balcony is smaller, and has no protection from the full force of the frontwards winds.

Etc..etc..etc...

I understand that such a cabin is right for Handicapped Access, but it is wrong for HAL to foist it on pax that always book midship SS/SY cabins, just because it may be empty.

After reading this in the morning, I called my HAL PVP and changed my booking...I had a suite guarantee but have now chosen a stateroom (there was no price difference for the SY's on deck 8 of the Zuiderdam.

I hadn't even considered that we could be assigned to a HC room and while I'm sure they are perfect for those who need them, it would not be perfect for me. We are truly splurging for this trip and I am already looking forward to the double-sink vanity. I had originally taken a guarantee thinking that we could end up on deck 6 in an SS but decided it wasn't worth the gamble if I got one of these other rooms.

That being said, we did roll the dice with a guarantee back in 2015 mostly beause we booked the Westerdam 'last minute' (about 6-7 weeks out). We had an inside guarantee and took an upsell to a VH guarantee for just $300 total...ended up in VB5184. Spoiled us for sure.

After reading this in the morning, I called my HAL PVP and changed my booking...I had a suite guarantee but have now chosen a stateroom (there was no price difference for the SY's on deck 8 of the Zuiderdam.

If I may offer a suggestion - book a SY that is aft of the midship elevators (but not the first ones by the elevators due to being seen from the glass outside elevators). The SY cabins forward of the midship elevators are under the pool area which can be a bit noisy at times, while the ones aft of it are under the carpeted area of the Lido buffet and are normally very quiet.

Just off the Koningsdam. Booked VH verandah guarantee. Assigned VB on deck 4 with large verandah. Close access to MDR and elevator to Lido. Very happy with room. Have booked guarantee on most cruises and never been disappointed.

[quote name='DaveOKC']If I may offer a suggestion - book a SY that is aft of the midship elevators (but not the first ones by the elevators due to being seen from the glass outside elevators). The SY cabins forward of the midship elevators are under the pool area which can be a bit noisy at times, while the ones aft of it are under the carpeted area of the Lido buffet and are normally very quiet.[/QUOTE]

I ended up booking 8099 which is one of the suites 'on the angle'. It was the same price as the guarantee...

I've read reviews of those who love it, and those who think its too windy on the balcony. We had a similar balcony on RCL's Serenade of the Seas this past March, just at the start of the 'hump' and facing forward. I don't recall a significant amount of breeze while we were out there (and since we walked up on deck 12 every day, I knew there WAS a breeze!). That stateroom was on deck 9.

I guess my thinking is that even if breezy while underway I'd be sitting down and the full force of the breeze would be blocked by the railing.

Though we plan to be out and about during at least the first have of the trip through the Gatun Locks, I have to believe that for a Panama Canal trip (partial transit), having this angled balcony will give me much greater views if we are in our stateroom later in the day when we come back through the Gatun Locks.

I've also been told by my PCC that this suite has more square footage inside as well.

[quote name='msmayor']I ended up booking 8099 which is one of the suites 'on the angle'. It was the same price as the guarantee...

I've read reviews of those who love it, and those who think its too windy on the balcony. We had a similar balcony on RCL's Serenade of the Seas this past March, just at the start of the 'hump' and facing forward. I don't recall a significant amount of breeze while we were out there (and since we walked up on deck 12 every day, I knew there WAS a breeze!). That stateroom was on deck 9.

I guess my thinking is that even if breezy while underway I'd be sitting down and the full force of the breeze would be blocked by the railing.

Though we plan to be out and about during at least the first have of the trip through the Gatun Locks, I have to believe that for a Panama Canal trip (partial transit), having this angled balcony will give me much greater views if we are in our stateroom later in the day when we come back through the Gatun Locks.

I've also been told by my PCC that this suite has more square footage inside as well.[/QUOTE]

I think that this cabin you be great for the Canal due to the forward facing angle. The only thing better on the Z for the Canal (IMO) is a deck 5 corner aft-wrap. We had this and really loved it.