Cruising After Death of Cruise Partner

cruisecrazybmore

Bless your heart!! I am so sorry for your loss!!

There is a lady over on the Carnival board....Her screen name is Wrigley80 and her name is Brianna. She sailed with her father for years and he passed away this past October. She has always done very elaborate reviews with lots of pictures, so I feel like I know her and her Dad after reading about their many adventures.

She seems very kind and I am sure she would completely understand what you are going through. I had to go all the way to page 5 on the Carnival boards to find her last review.

I guess I am just trying to make you feel a bit better by letting you know that there is a fellow cruiser that can totally relate....

I do hope you take a good friend and go on your cruise in October.....I have no doubt it is what your father would want. God bless you!!!

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my father five years ago and sill think of him all the time. Everyone deals with things in a different way so I wouldn't tell anyone what to do in this situation. My thought is if I had you have a friend that knew your father that could go with that would be best. That way they could understand better when you say he would have liked this or that and would understand if you wanted time to think about him. Just my thought.

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your father. I think your plan to wait a bit and see how you feel is a good one. I hope you will enjoy your October cruise.

Mom had a bartender that always took care of her on the Enchantment. Every evening as we had a drink... he'd bring a glass of wine for mom.

This fall my sister and I will take mom's ashes on a cruise... and leave her in the deep blue water she loved. We'll probably take her to BINGO first... she loved BINGO.

What a thoughtful bartender! And I LOVE the bingo idea.

My condolences to you and your family.

Just a thought but I was thinking that if you could fit even a short cruise in before the one planned and researched with your father that it might be just a little easier for you. Waiting sometimes makes things even harder sometimes.

My parents started us cruising many, many years ago. It morphed into "The Annual Friends and Family Winter Caribbean Cruise" and for the past 30 or so yrs we've been 20-35 or so "friends and family" who take the cruise together every year. Many of whom we met on cruises through the years and several folks from nearly 30 yrs ago. A few years ago my Mom and Dad passed away 3 weeks from each other in Nov and Dec. At this point, they were not able to travel, but we all had booked a late January cruise. We all went, had special toasts to them, many ordered their favorite libations,one evening we all ordered their favorite entree for dinner. I brought photos of cruises through the years, we all reminisced and we released some of their ashes into the Caribbean, that they so loved. We just recently returned from this year's "Friends and Family Cruise" and had a special toast to them one evening, as well.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Bless your heart!! I am so sorry for your loss!!

There is a lady over on the Carnival board....Her screen name is Wrigley80 and her name is Brianna. She sailed with her father for years and he passed away this past October. She has always done very elaborate reviews with lots of pictures, so I feel like I know her and her Dad after reading about their many adventures.

She seems very kind and I am sure she would completely understand what you are going through. I had to go all the way to page 5 on the Carnival boards to find her last review.

I guess I am just trying to make you feel a bit better by letting you know that there is a fellow cruiser that can totally relate....

I do hope you take a good friend and go on your cruise in October.....I have no doubt it is what your father would want. God bless you!!!

Thank you. I went and looked at that thread on the Carnival board. I tried t to message her, but couldn't find a way to do so. Is there a way to message someone?

I brought photos of cruises through the years, we all reminisced and we released some of their ashes into the Caribbean, that they so loved.

You can do this? Another person mentioned this as well. For some reason I didn't think that it would be allowed. Interesting.

Search 'ashes'. Lots of threads pop up. The ship will arrange a time to disperse ashes at sea.

Sorry for your loss.

On the kids first cruise (a repo after a world cruise on HAL) we encountered two women sitting alone at adjacent tables.

Our waiter tells us that the first woman's husband passed away on the WC. She went home to bury him then rejoined the cruise. The second woman's husband also passed away. She simply shipped his body home.

Search 'ashes'. Lots of threads pop up. The ship will arrange a time to disperse ashes at sea.

Sorry for your loss.

On the kids first cruise (a repo after a world cruise on HAL) we encountered two women sitting alone at adjacent tables.

Our waiter tells us that the first woman's husband passed away on the WC. She went home to bury him then rejoined the cruise. The second woman's husband also passed away. She simply shipped his body home.

This is great news! I won't have his ashes for 1-1.5 years as he donated his body, but this is something I think I will look into at that time. Thanks so much!

I'm very sorry to hear of your father's passing. My condolences.

I had been with my late DH for 47 years when he died and we had traveled hugely all over the place. We had more than 90+ cruises and I could not imagine cruising without him.

While we had cruised other lines, most of our cruises were HAL and I still have not sailed HAL without him but I did sail last summer on NCL. I thought it would help me to transition to cruising without him to sail a line we had never cruised. I went with close friends with whom we had cruised in the past and it went very well. I missed DH, of course, but I took the large cabin we always would have booked, had my verandah and could get alone/quiet time when I needed it.

I am grateful to those friends to have made that cruise possible and they have invited me to again sail with them. I probably will but do not think I'm ready to go back to HAL......... yet.

All best wishes to you.

Sorry but CC does not have private messaging feature.

If you wish to scatter your father's ashes from a ship at some point, it must be arranged through the ship. You cannot simply go aft and do it yourself.

Edited by sail7seas

This is great news! I won't have his ashes for 1-1.5 years as he donated his body, but this is something I think I will look into at that time. Thanks so much!

A big thank you to your father and family for the donation of his body. DD was able to learn anatomy through a donation. It really helped her more than any digital model could.

Here's a thread from the Carnival board with links to Carnival's requirements for dispersing ashes at sea. Other cruise lines should be very similar.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2316915

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Thank you. I went and looked at that thread on the Carnival board. I tried t to message her, but couldn't find a way to do so. Is there a way to message someone?

You can do this? Another person mentioned this as well. For some reason I didn't think that it would be allowed. Interesting.

If you put a comment on her review she will probably respond. She is very good about acknowledging those who ask her questions.

Again...I am so sorry for your loss!!