Cruising After Death of Cruise Partner

cruisecrazybmore

I've looked through past posts, so I know I'm not the only one who has faced this.

My dad just died early Friday morning suddenly and unexpectedly. We were actually supposed to be going on a cruise today. Anyway, we had another cruise planned for October.

I understand everyone is different, but I am curious as to whether the first cruise after the death of a cruise partner was by yourself or with another person (friend/family). I'm torn as to whether to ask a friend or to just do it alone. Not that it really matters, but the October cruise was to be our first time in a JS, and we were going to have an aft cabin. It's something we always wanted to do :(

I've looked through past posts, so I know I'm not the only one who has faced this.

My dad just died early Friday morning suddenly and unexpectedly. We were actually supposed to be going on a cruise today. Anyway, we had another cruise planned for October.

I understand everyone is different, but I am curious as to whether the first cruise after the death of a cruise partner was by yourself or with another person (friend/family). I'm torn as to whether to ask a friend or to just do it alone. Not that it really matters, but the October cruise was to be our first time in a JS, and we were going to have an aft cabin. It's something we always wanted to do :(

Really sorry to hear of your loss.

Edited by SeaUs

I am so sorry for your loss. I have not been faced with your situation. However, if I were you, I would go and keep the JS. Your dad would want you to. Also...I have traveled solo on cruises and really enjoyed myself. So it all depends on your preference.

Really sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have not been faced with your situation. However, if I were you, I would go and keep the JS. Your dad would want you to. Also...I have traveled solo on cruises and really enjoyed myself. So it all depends on your preference.

Thank you. I've never traveled anywhere solo. This is actually the first time I've lived alone also. A lot of changes overnight.

I'm sorry for your loss! I think I would take someone fun. It might be a nice distraction & will help you remember fun sweet memories. I'm sure your father would want you to cruise on. My heart goes out to you!

Thank you.

I have someone in mind who might be interested. It doesn't help that I'm not from this area so all my friends are either from work or when I was in school.

Definitely plan to continue cruising. He would definitely want me to. I think I see a lot of inside cabins in my future though. People were actually wondering if I would go on this cruise. It was just too soon. I have so much to do. I know he would have wanted me to go this time around also. It was just too soon after such a devastating loss.

My condolences to you on your loss. You have time to make decisions on how you want to proceed in October. The best advice I got was to allow things to unfold and not make any quick decisions. How you feel today may be different in a week, may be the same again in two weeks.

Very sorry for your loss.

We lost our best cruising buddy almost 4 years ago. The first cruise after he was gone was very difficult, but I was glad to have friends and relatives with us.

So sorry for your loss.

My Mom had a cruise booked when my Dad died suddenly, also. She ended up taking one of my cousins who lives near her and was single. I think it was a nice distraction for her. Now she takes the whole family. We were always traveling as a family when we were younger. Now it's fun to go with the next generation.

I think you should take a friend who will be understanding your emotions may spill out at times. That 1st cruise for me was my hardest but it had to be done. It seemed like many things cropped up and I'd think "he loved this or that". I went solo because no one else could or would go. At times it still hits me but with less impact. You have memories that can never be erased. :)

I think you need to do what feels right to you. October is a long ways off..in a few months, you should know. I'd ask a friend, to be frank. When my dad died, I was grieving....but dad's are supposed to die before kids....while I miss him...my life keeps going..and yours will, too.

Join your Roll Call. With any luck you will meet people you will enjoy cruising with. If nothing else, it would be nice to put faces to names at the Meet and Mingle. It also gives you a place to share info on the cruise.

I haven't cruised by myself, but I think I could do it. I enjoy talking to table mates at meals, even in Windjammer.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it is to lose a parent and a cruising partner. And although, I do not know the depth of your loss... I know some of your pain. I also lost my mother who was my cruising partner for many, many years. I hope my story will help you. When mom died suddenly we had 14 cruises booked. Royal was wonderful working with me to reschedule and substitute friends or family. Mom and I were just a couple weeks off our last cruise and only about 10 days from our next cruise when she passed. Because of proximity of family we decided to postpone her service for about 30 days. I went on the cruise and a dear friend accompanied me. It was a back to back on the Enchantment. It was to celebrate my birthday. Mom and I traveled on the Enchantment quite a bit. The staff could not have been nicer. So many of the staff knew mom... and I was so touched with their genuine expressions of sympathy and grief. I was so grateful that my friend went with me. We toasted mom a lot on that cruise... and shared so many memories. Since then I have cruised both solo and with friends and family. My sister has retired and she and I have taken most of the cruises mom and I had booked. The last cruise mom and I booked is for the last week in March, on the Allure (mom loved the big ships!) We always thank mom... for the cruise... and always toast her. The only advise I can offer... is do whatever you feel you can do. People gave me all kinds of advice... but when it came down to it... I did what made me feel best. Just under two years before I lost my mom, my husband suddenly passed away. He was also a cruise partner. I was lucky because mom just fell right into the cruises we had booked.

I can tell you that first cruise after loosing mom was not easy. There were lots of tears. But there was also a lot of smiles and laughs. Mom had a bartender that always took care of her on the Enchantment. Every evening as we had a drink... he'd bring a glass of wine for mom.

This fall my sister and I will take mom's ashes on a cruise... and leave her in the deep blue water she loved. We'll probably take her to BINGO first... she loved BINGO.

I wish the best to you and your loved ones during this difficult time... and I hope you enjoy your next cruises... I'll keep you in my prayer.

First of all my condolences on the loss of your father. I know from experience that no death is easy.

Things are going to be really tough for awhile. I wish I could tell you how long but for everyone it is different. For myself I was totally numb for about 6 weeks after the unexpected death of my husband. I can't even tell you what I did in that time, but I do remember feeling like everything had to be taken care of "right now". Even after that it took me a couple years to get back to "normal".

Between now and October thing are going to change dramatically even from day to day. You must have so much to do right now. Take some time before you make any decisions on the cruise (and other things too). See how things are going in a couple of months. No reason to decide this minute, day, or even month.

I am sorry for your loss. I agree with the folks who said not to rush into something right now, but to let the grieving process mature a bit. In the end, it will be a personal decision. If you decide to go solo, are you the type of person who reflects inward and beats yourself up with sadness? If so, consider finding a travel companion. If you decide to ask a travel companion along, make sure they're someone you can abide for several days. Joining the roll call for your sailing is a wonderful idea either way.

In any case, I can speak with some experience about your cabin, since we cruised on the Rhapsody in an aft JS back in 2014. If I had to pick a cabin for healing, that would be the one. The balcony is oversized, and it is very peaceful to sit out there and watch the ocean slip away behind the ship while you enjoy coffee or tea. A good book or music are optional. Think about your destination and whether you'll want a sweater near at hand, especially on the sea days.

Loss is hard, but eventually there will be a new normal which can include joy and excitement. Your father will live on in your memories. Best wishes.

My condolences for your loss :(

I have not been faced with your situation but if DW passed before I did, I personally could not go cruising solo for the first one after. I would need someone for emotional support but would also want some time to myself to process emotions while on a type of trip that I so strongly associate with one person.

October is many months away which means no rush to cancel if you later decide to. But there's also no timeline on the grieving process, so don't let people make you feel like you should be in a certain headspace by a certain time. Do whatever you need to do and take however much time you need.

Sorry for your loss but it all depends how YOU feel about it.

My condolences on your loss. I lost my Mom last April and went on a scheduled cruise with my niece 2 weeks later. We talked a lot about Mom and I told my niece many funny stories about mischief Grammy got into on our many cruises. We shared many laughs and a few tears. I'm currently booked on a cruise for 2018 on a ship that isn't even built yet. Having no idea what my work schedule will be like then, or even where I'll be working, I chose my Mom's birthday as the date of my cruise. We always cruised in April for her birthday and September for mine. :)

I suddenly lost my husband 4 months ago. We had a cruise planned for this past January with my family & I didn't want to go back to my cabin alone for the night. My daughters both had to work, so I invited a friend to come along. It was tough getting on the ship without him, but it worked out having a friend with me. It was her first cruise, and I took time to show her all the different things available on the ship. She became my family's adopted sister. It was tough, but having a friend helped get me through the cruise & I did enjoy myself. Cruising won't be the same without my husband, but he loved to travel, and I'm going to carry on our bucket list.

Barbara

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. I know when I lost my dad suddenly I didn't think I could survive without him.

Your dad would want you to carry on and do what the two of you had planned. He will always be with you in your heart, and the guardian angel over your shoulder.

Take some time and don't make any quick decisions. In time you will know what is the best thing for you to do.

If I was faced with the loss of my husband I would probably go solo, but that's just me.

Take care of yourself, my heart and prayers are with you.

My deepest condolences go out to you. I can't even imagine what you are currently going through.

As others have said, you don't need to make a quick decision. You have time to make any changes that are necessary. For me, being on the water is therapeutic to me, so I'd opt to go alone should I ever be faced with such a tragic situation, but you know you best, so make whatever decision will make you happy and allow you to best honor your dad's memory.

I am so sorry about the loss of your Dad.

A day does not go by when I don't think about my parents who we lost in 1993 and 1994 respectively.

In the end, you should do what you want. For people like myself I would sail and I would know that my Dad would want me have done just that.

Keith

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I definitely plan on continuing to cruise, even if right now that thought seems incredibly painful. I know he would want me to.

I'm not going to make any decisions in the near future. Definitely before final payment, but that's not until August.