All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Aren't you two kindred spirits?!

Some more catalog goodies from Garnet Hill.  Love this coverup in Habanero.  It's that mauvey orange that isn't quite EARTH but falls in my romantic color group:

https://www.garnethill.com/cotton-gauze-long-cover-up/445747?listIndex=0&uniqueId=445747

I wish this honey gold color wasn't paired with white. I don't know why but gold always makes me think Anita:

https://www.garnethill.com/ProductSearch2?searchTerm=honey gold

Goji Berry, nice color. I normally shy away from anything with "berry" in the name as being too pink, but actual goji berries are a bit orange so I think this one is ok:

https://www.garnethill.com/linen-26amp-3b-modal-square-neck-knit-top/563190?listIndex=1&defattrib=Color&defattribvalue=GOJI&uniqueId=563190

Henna, another good color:

https://www.garnethill.com/tie-sleeve-knit-blouse/541934?listIndex=9&defattrib=Color&defattribvalue=HENA&uniqueId=541934

I really love this. Love love this. Pretty without being too sweet.  Is Portobello too cool?

https://www.garnethill.com/embroidered-lace-dress/506268?listIndex=1&uniqueId=506268

I DO have a thing for summer dresses. Salsa or Blue?  So hard to NOT shop for a trip that is 8 months away.

https://www.garnethill.com/v-neck-tie-sleeve-dress/554352?listIndex=0&uniqueId=554352

I'm so casual at home these days, running around barefoot most of the time. Decided to do a pedi yesterday. This color is not at all what it seems, so sheer and pale. I like it on my hands, but not what I expected and too pale for my toes. It's called Fig Flash. You can barely tell that my nails are painted.

nails.JPG.1f66fd1f157cac7867da9a5fbe04fd74.JPG

nails2.JPG.88a9836b9d4d29210c0e6f8ea767dd9a.JPG

• Like 1

Some of them are shorter than I like, but I always remind myself that the models are probably at least over 5'10 and I'm a lot shorter, so the tops will fit longer on me. Plus the peasant style tops are generally longer than the t's though not quite tunic length.

I usually search by the color I like so I can see what's available, and then check the list if there's anything that works for me style-wise. Some catalogs like LE have so few EARTH colors that it is a more efficient way to browse. A catalog like this or jjill has a lot more to choose from but it helps to cull out the EARTH options by doing a color search.

Today I met some girlfriends for brunch nearby so I got to wear real clothes! Happy Day!

• Like 2

Margaret, one thing I noticed when looking around at that gold color was a cardigan sweater.  When I clicked on it, I found a few prints that I think I could make work.  As you all know, I tend towards solids.  I am having some trouble bringing things together for the office, as the idea of a purple sweater with brown pants comes off casual.  So I have been looking for prints that I can live with.

My first thought is always a print shell of sorts, as I can put it under a cardigan or a blazer and it ends up feeling more like an accent than a focus.  I haven't found much of anything lately, especially since they tend to be unfitted, and then they kind of tent out on me, so to speak...

But anyway, here is the link to the cardigans.  I was thinking how a few have some good earth colors, and one or two will work for those "off" days when I wear something like burgundy or navy for a change of pace.  The gold, which is beautiful with the cream color in it, really goes off track for me with the black.  I know it is only a little, but it seems to really cool off the sweater a lot.  

https://www.garnethill.com/signature-eco-merino-cardigan/378431?listIndex=19&defattrib=Color&defattribvalue=HGFL&uniqueId=378431

A lot of tops and shirts are cropped these days.  When I was younger, it was fine because I'm short waisted.  I'm too full in the chest area these days though, so it tends to move my tops up a bit, especially knit tees or sweaters, which tend to conform to body shape over time.  

That Portobello colored dress is cute - it doesn't seen too oversized - it hangs nice, from the picture.  It does look pretty cool in tone, but it fits in with the mushroom color you like.  Would you consider wearing it with a scarf if you wish to warm it up?

I keep thinking I need to go back to look at a few scarves you have posted.  They are a good way to bridge those clothing issues I have for work.  We are not as stiffly business like as we used to be, and I'm trying to set a good example on being professional and polished without being too casual, so I'm trying hard to get my act together, so to speak!  

An interesting thing about the swimsuit conversation we had.  I grabbed some of my suits out yesterday morning and too pictures of the one pieces, then the tankinis, then the coverups.  In my honest opinion, I think I need to grab one of the one piece swimsuits I never wear, and just wear it in the hot tub.  I feel like I am being wasteful if I buy another one?  There are two swimsuit that I don't wear at all, but have never gotten rid of.  I don't dislike them, I just have things I would rather wear instead!  I like a one piece with the hot tub because I hate it when the jets inflate the top of a tankini, lol.  

Still, a part of me says to donate those two swimsuits, and buy a chlorine resistant one for the hot tub.  Why ruin good suits?  

Ah, dilemmas.  

I should be working right now, since I can work from home...but I don't feel like it!  I've been feeling rather blah lately.  I think it is because both my husband and I have been working a lot of extra hours.  He has a car he is restoring, and we are so happy and excited to see it progress.  We know the extra overtime for him is to be able to save the money for the car, so it won't be forever.  I think our little trip to Florida will be great.

• Like 2

Happy Monday!

We're back from our fabulous week on Harmony! I must confess...even though many photos were requested...I didn't end up taking very many photos at all. This cruise was all about relaxing and being on vacation...as opposed to TRAVELing...which can involve more activity and more alarms and schedules and DOING...and for this cruise...we were all about BEING.

I loved our itinerary. We started off with two Sea Days...then two port days...another Sea Day...and then CocoCay on the last day. What a fabulous itinerary! Starting off with the relaxation do whatever you want to kind of days was an excellent start to the week...and then having two easy ports...a bit of activity...and then a FULL Sea Day to get back to doing whatever you want...and then the private beach...SUPER easy day on the last day was wonderful. At the beach, I didn't worry about packing later, etc., and the fact that it was the last day...I was too distracted to be bothered about such worries so I definitely enjoyed the last day of the cruise as much as the first...and that's kind of rare for me on that last day.

It'll take me a while to deal with my photos...

We did however...for one of the first times EVER...take a LOT of the formal portraits. I realized how much I enjoy my formal cruise portraits (they are hanging on the wall) and I wanted more. It's hard otherwise to get photos of DH and I together. I spent quite a bit of time figuring out my evening outfits...and then I helped DH plan his so that he at least coordinated with mine so that we had a chance at better photos. I did buy the 6 digital photo package...which represents 5 different nights on board (two were from the same night)...so I have those photos.

Really...I just don't have photos of me wearing my swim suits...not a problem LOL...and the two activewear outfits I brought along.

I need to mix up getting some things done around the house...which is slightly at war with my desire to share all about our cruise...but I do greatly desire to get home back into the shape it was in when Debbie left. It's really nice to be in such a clean and tidy space!! LOL.

I'll be on and off today...

• Like 2

Melody and Sally - a quick question.  While our plans have been to stay with my husband's sister when we visit Fort Myers, I am rethinking this.  Where do you recommend to stay?  We don't have to be right in Fort Myers, but  I wouldn't mind being in a reasonable distance.  Game time is 1:30, so our travel will be during the day.  I am caught between going very basic, and going resort style.  It's a short trip, and I want it to be very relaxing and fun for us.

The reason I am rethinking staying with my SIL is that originally, she mentioned she probably wouldn't be there, so she would be handing us her keys for a few days.  It appears though that she will be there, and I think it is only a one bedroom!  She told us she will give us her room.  I can't get myself to do that, but my husband doesn't want to come right out and ask her how many rooms she has.  I was thinking we could make it a point of spending Friday with her for lunch and maybe a little bit of sight seeing.  It would be great to see her, but having her sleep on the couch is not good to me.

I even tried googling her address to find out, but I came up empty.  the street seems to have patio units, but I can't tell if she is an apartment building on the street or what.

Anita!  Glad to hear you had a fun vacation!  I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Harmony.  Especially with the two sea days, and how you felt the layout of the ship was for that.   I also am happy you have some professional portraits too, as I love them.  

I am going to try to not buy the whole package next time.  Try.  🙂  It all depends on the deals they offer for the packages.  My husband and I each get a free one because we are Diamond now.  Maybe a 6 or 10 photo package makes sense with the free ones.  

I can't wait to hear about Cococay.  I have not been there since they made all their changes.  It seems people love it or hate it.  My feeling is to see what they offer.  IN a worst case scenario, there are still some quiet areas with loungers in the shade, so why not give it a try and see what it is about?

The funny thing is that we were originally scheduled to cruise next month, but decided there was too much involved and that we didn't have enough time to feel comfortable with the finances.  Part of the initial itinerary was CocoCay.  Our cruise in November is short, 5 days.  It goes to Cozumel (Nachi!!!) and Grand Cayman.  I have been wishing it was a 7 day since we booked it.

• Like 2

Laurie, we really like the Hampton Inn/Sanibel Gateway. No beach view but convenient to major roads. If we’re going to relax on the beach we head to an old timey beach resort, the Outrigger in Ft Myers Beach (almost into Bonita Springs) it has a beautiful soft sand beach that you can walk for miles. Nice little coffee shop & across the road is a good steakhouse (I think name is Charlie’s). Great seafood restaurant on left just as you get into Bonita Springs 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, laurspag said:

Anita!  Glad to hear you had a fun vacation!  I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Harmony.  Especially with the two sea days, and how you felt the layout of the ship was for that.   I also am happy you have some professional portraits too, as I love them.  

I am going to try to not buy the whole package next time.  Try.  🙂  It all depends on the deals they offer for the packages.  My husband and I each get a free one because we are Diamond now.  Maybe a 6 or 10 photo package makes sense with the free ones.  

I can't wait to hear about Cococay.  I have not been there since they made all their changes.  It seems people love it or hate it.  My feeling is to see what they offer.  IN a worst case scenario, there are still some quiet areas with loungers in the shade, so why not give it a try and see what it is about?

The funny thing is that we were originally scheduled to cruise next month, but decided there was too much involved and that we didn't have enough time to feel comfortable with the finances.  Part of the initial itinerary was CocoCay.  Our cruise in November is short, 5 days.  It goes to Cozumel (Nachi!!!) and Grand Cayman.  I have been wishing it was a 7 day since we booked it.

We go to Nachi on Leap Day!!!  Grilled grouper in my future!  Melody

5EE44C38-15AE-497C-A6E7-8CD0CB3385C3.jpeg

• Like 1

Laurie I get what you mean about that gold sweater. Why oh why couldn't they have used brown or navy instead of the black? I hate when they mix cool with an otherwise nice EARTH color.

My work wardrobe consisted of mostly tailored cardigans and shells for winter. I sometimes met with people from the President's Office on down, so I needed to look professional while still managing to move around a lot in the classroom. I have several Calvin Klein shells because I like the coverage and comfort (not fitted but not too baggy, either), and a bit of color.It can be challenging to find true EARTH in all the ICE options, but I was able to find them over time. I hand wash and they air dry pretty quickly. Very long-wearing and color-fast.

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/Women/Clothing/Tops/Tanks & Camisoles?sort=most_popular&brands[]=Calvin Klein

I think how you accessorize can also dress them up or down for versatility. Pearls for serious, colorful chunky jewelry to be more casual, sparkly for dinner out.

Edited by MJC
typos :(
  • Like 1

I'm catching up on the posts in between dealing with stuff...just finished looking at the swim suits Margaret posted.

I really like that keyhole designed tankini. Very nice styling. I absolutely LOVE the shorts...the bright eggplant geo print is a FANTASTIC color...and I love it. Wondering if the solid fabric is more earthy? Thinking that the print is't so much...but wondering if I really care? LOL.

Here's a crazy...I've cruised quite a bit recently...and I was wearing a swim suit much more often that I have in the past...even at home with the kayaking, etc., and here's what I've determined for myself. As much as I enjoy the modesty of a tankini...I find them to be really annoying. Totally agree with you Laurie on the way they bubble up in a hot tub. Someone was wearing one on Harmony last week and I could tell it was so annoying for the woman wearing it. Also...if I actually go swimming...I ALWAYS wear a rash guard...so the extra fabric of the tankini is bothersome. Not needed. So I don't see why I would ever buy one again.

Lately, I've been sporting full on bikinis...and I'm LOVING it. Don't like the way I look...and have decided to totally not care. The bikini tops work best under the rash guard...and they are the most comfortable thing in the hot tub. Why? Because I HATE, really strong word...but absolutely I do...I really HATE going to the toilet in a one piece suit. It's why I started wearing tankinis, but they are so annoying...bikini it is.

It's very challenging to get a decent coverage bikini top. I have found two though...and both have higher waist briefs...so they stay put on me (my belly makes some bikini brief waistbands roll down...very sad...and annoying). The latest bikini I got on clearance from Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Women-s-Plus-Solid-Cabo-Ruffle-Bikini-Swimsuit-Top/676251857

I got the pieces for $15 each. The top was full coverage on the front. I had to buy the 1X size to get the full coverage and then I took about 5-6" of material out of the back of the swim suit. I've figured it out. I'm like a 1X in front (size 16 or so) and a L in the back. So if I just plan to alter stuff for a while, I can get what I want. The color in the suit I got is a lovely teal color. Not the color currently online.

This is the style that's really close to the other bikini I have:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Time-and-Tru-Women-s-high-neck-printed-halter-bikini-top/900733255

Mine is a burgundy and rosy toned pattern. Again, pretty good coverage. The coverage is what helps it feel comfortable in terms of wearability. I don't love the way I look...but everything is covered and fitting properly...I don't need to make adjustments to the fit of the suit. The suits are easy to wear.

Lately, I've just been wearing a sports bra under my rash guard. With a brief bottom.

My swim suits didn't dry much between wearings on the cruise...if it wasn't already dry when I headed back to the stateroom. I brought the two bikinis...and another pair of briefs and a sports bra to wear with a rash guard. I kind of sort of flip flopped between the bikinis on the ship for using the thermal spa and the hot tubs. I did the rash guard outfit for the beach day.

I forgot to bring my kayaking shorts to wear over the briefs for leaving the ship on the beach day. I did have a pair of quick dry, but more normal shorts, to wear on board for being able to eat breakfast and feeling more appropriately dressed. 

I also brought along two different cover ups for wearing with the two different bikinis on the ship. One is one of those sheer black robe styles that have a time right under the bust line. The kind that is really square when flat...with a seam up the sides and all that extra fabric hanging below the arms? The other is a long sleeved tunic style...I've had it for a while. It's a warm fushia color with orange embroidery. It pulls over head and has the same tie under the bust line. I like the ease of getting the robe style on and off...nice to not pull some thing over head...but I hate the way it flaps open when I walk around. The other solves that but the pull over head is annoying sometimes.

Other than the missing kayak shorts to wear over the swim briefs...I think I did well for the 7-night cruise. Basically, 3 swim suits, 2 cover ups, rash guard...in future, remember the kayaking shorts.

IF I had cute short style, board short style swim bottoms...then I wouldn't need the kayaking shorts to feel more comfortable walking around in just swim bottoms. If that makes sense.

It helps me to do these little write ups...hope it isn't too annoying to read how I sort though my thoughts!

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 2

One thing I often find myself doing is stating something, but not necessarily having my behavior back it up.  For example, my body isn't perfect.  While I lost weight and have kept it off, I am not where my doctor says I should be.  After a lot of time and effort to get to where I am, and the cost of clothes and what not, I am going to maintain for now.  At some point, I will get the urge to lose more, and based on my more current experiences, I know I will need to be prepared for the cost of new clothes.

I bring this up because I have a bathing suit that I think would be classified as a monokini.  I bought it at Target, and felt good about myself.  I haven't worn it though, because I find myself feeling a bit apprehensive about how I look it.  I was just trying it on, and got to thinking that I am not practicing what I preach.  I think I look decent in it.  I'd love to have much nicer legs and some different proportions, but who doesn't?  

So, this comes around to this...I love those two piece swimsuits you posted links to, Anita.  I think one of the biggest changes in the past few years is that they are creating bathing suits for different shapes and sizes.  When something fits us right, it is completely different, isn't it?  I have the same issue with bikini bottoms in that the waistband rolls on me.  I need to try some different things.

I even used a mirror to take a picture of the swimsuit on, and not a flattering pose either...just what others would see when they looked at me wearing it.  Now I just need to get brave and post the picture here!  In the meantime, I will post some photos of the various swimsuits I have, on hangers.  It is funny how different colors can look when they are next to other colors or the lighting in a room is off.

Anita, one of my tankini bottoms is a boyshort style.  I like them overall, but they don't exactly flatter me.  The Athleta midrise bottoms are great fitting, and don't roll.   

I really like the second bathing suit link you provided.  I haven't really looked at Walmart for suits, but I have at Target.  They have a great selection.  That is where the monokini is from.

• Like 1

Here you go Laurie...I'll share first.

Here's my new suit. The one I altered the top on. After being in the hot tub so much...the top is a different color than the bottom now. My face is a little overly red too...because it's slightly embarrassing to take these photos...

IMG-3924.jpg

IMG-3925.jpg

This is the cover up I wear with it for now:

IMG-3926.jpg

I love the pattern of this material...it's very Earth too.

IMG-3927.jpg

IMG-3928.jpg

My tunic cover up...It's also a little on the bright side...but it's actually earth:

IMG-3929.jpg

I can't get the photo to flip...this is my new rash guard. I love the colors in the print. It's a nice change from the solid red ones I have. The new suit here goes with it as well as the black briefs under the teal briefs. The black ones have some gathers on the sides that are nice...they break up the expanse of fabric.

IMG-3930.jpg

It's a bit like sorry not sorry I don't have pictures of me in the suits on the ship. I only wore them exposed like this to go to the Thermal Suite and then the hot tubs. Neither of those places seems like photo ops to me...so many people around. I suppose I could have stepped out onto the balcony to be on the ship but we were always raring to go to either the spa or the hot tub so...pictures from home.

My new EVA Birks are awesome. They were the perfect thing on the ship.

Edited by Anita Latte
Add photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anita, I love those suits.  The trial is a fantastic color.  I especially like the styling of the print one.with both of those. I can see the bottoms "staying put".  I have this roll that makes lower rise difficult.  Mid rise is always ideal.  

So here I go...here is my suit I've been anxious about.  I am realizing I didnt take a side or back view.  It is open on the sides.

20200217_154406.jpg

20200217_154421.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laurie, please wear it. You look great, and when you are an old wrinkled lady sitting on a promenade deck one day, you will look back on this time and wish you had done it, and wish you had that bod again. 🙂

Super cute suit BTW.

Anita, love the suits!  I have too many abdominal scars to wear a bikini ever again, even a 2 piece. Laurie, you look superb, great suit, perfect color.

I’ve found the older I get, the harder I am on myself & I just need to stop it!  Les is my biggest supporter, no matter what I have on he thinks I look great...even when I look like dog meat!

im sitting here watching another snowstorm 6+” last night. Of course I have a mani/pedi this morning & my hair cut. We leave at oh dark very early tomorrow morning in, yup, more snow. I’ll let you all know when we get out !!!  I need this cruise!!!  Melody

Morning ... love that suit on you, color is great...very flattering. 

Bathing suits....the bane of my existence!
Where do you ladies find bathing suits that flatter your figure and skin tone.   
I’m finding that I lick good in jewel tones and certain earthy colors.   Pastels, not so much.  
I’ve been blessed with a swimmers back and boobs to go with it (42D) but a size 14 from my waist down.  It’s hard to find a suit that fits on the top and isn’t too big in the rest of the torso.   Help! 
oh, and I prefer a little ruffle on the bottom as I’m getting older.  
Thanks for any suggestions!
Rosie

PS-Melody enjoy your cruises!  You absolutely need/deserve it.  Looking forward to the pictures. 

• Like 1

They just canceled schools here & most businesses on a delay. Snowing like the dickens.  I have the first appt this morning (at 9:30) for mani/pedi so they better be there, I will be!  My hair isn’t until 1 (& boy, do I need a haircut!!!). I know she’ll be open, she’s a ski patrol gal 😉