Opinions needed on Obstructed view cabins Emerald deck

Mlascheid

We had an obstructed view cabin on the Caribbean Princess. We found that the view was partially obstructed. The window allowed us to see over the life boat. That was the only cabin I've been in that was obstructed. If you tell the board what cabin number and what ship, you might find more exact information.

Sailed twice on the CB and had cabins E517 and E 327, both partial obstructed views. The view was between the life boats and it was pretty decent. Not a round porthole, but a large rectangular window about 3' by 2.5'. Just be carefull as there is a catwalk where the crew climbs around to service/clean the life boats and you may be suprised by a man just outside your window.

Sorry...This would be on the Star Princess. It looks like most of the cabins that are available on Emerald deck have a lifeboat directly in front of them...209,210,211,212, 214,215,216,604,607,609,610,611,612 and they seem to be the largest of the lifeboats. Just wondering if there is visibility over the top of them or are they too high??

If I could have an obstructed view stateroom for the same price as an inside, I would go for the obstructed view because there are more square feet in those rooms. Sometimes you get lucky and can see out and sometimes you can't, but you are still ahead with more floor space. Also, who knows, you may get upgraded to a balcony. It's more likely to happen with an outside than with an inside.

We had E705 on the Star Princess. We could see the water and land at a distance but couldn't see down because of the life boat.

It beats having an inside cabin if you like natural light. It's also very conveniently located just one deck above the promenade if you see something and want to get an unobstructed view.

I just returned from transatlantic on Star Princess in cabin E517. It had a perfect view between two lifeboats. It looked like it did on the deck diagram in the brochure, and it turned out to be nearly as true as the diagram. The view was almost as good as a standard ocean view cabin. As someone pointed out above, look out for the crew working around the lifeboats. It's really no problem though. Go for it!

• 6 years later...
Sailed twice on the CB and had cabins E517 and E 327, both partial obstructed views. The view was between the life boats and it was pretty decent. Not a round porthole, but a large rectangular window about 3' by 2.5'. Just be carefull as there is a catwalk where the crew climbs around to service/clean the life boats and you may be suprised by a man just outside your window.

Hi Sherman931

We are on this ship in July and in cabin E517. I'm glad we'll have a bit of a view and was wondering if you could tell me if the cabin's okay noisewise?

Thanks for any help with this.

Chanise

I would not do a guarantee on oceanview obstructed. The chance of getting the big orange wall and the big white shed are higher especially since there are excellent sites like Renmars that allow you to choose the cabin that suits you. All cabins inside and oceanview are fairly standard the reason you pay more is for location. The standard goes the closer to midship and the higher the deck number the more $ the cabin is worth. The pricing is from midships location rather than the obstruction lurking out the window.

With many of the obstructed view cabins we have had, we kept a pair of binoculars on the bar under the TV. Once you view through the binoculars you block out the tender because you are looking beyond the tender. If I spot something I want to see, I dart down to the promenade deck and have a clear view. We often choose the emerald deck midships as our room -- it suits us, it saves money and it is comfortable. We have done oceanview on Plaza deck also but prefer the midships of deck 8 (even though it is a cheaper cabin ).

What a great site. Some people do wonderful things. :cool:

I agree. That is a great site - right up to date.

I hope the 3 previous posters realize that they are commenting on a post made to this thread in 2005.

On our up coming cruise on the Grand we booked E504 as the cruise plus the air fare was pretty costly and I wanted direct flights. That web site with the pictures of the cabins was so helpful, thank you so much. This is the first OOV we've ever booked. I looked at our room and we are at the end of a tender so it's not too bad a view and certainly the binoculars are a great idea. We are so close to the main stairs, I can always pop down to 7 if it's something I really want to see from the ship.:)

Archived