Switching to Suite Guaranty - Independence

taliho621

Okay, so we are currently booked in a Family Oceanview on Independence of the Seas (no balcony, but it's a great way to get a separate kids bedroom without paying for a suite).

However, as we get closer to the cruise date, I have been looking at some Junior Suites, as the prices have come down. But today, I figured that we can take a Guaranty Suite category for only a $200 upcharge, which seems like a great deal, as I like the balcony, but dislike the room size of the standard balcony cabins. In doing my research, it looks like there are only 2 Junior Suites available on the ship (both of which are in locations we would not mind at all), but there are still a large number of Grand Suites available.

So my thought process is as follows: Take the Guaranty. It is $200 less than booking the JS directly, and my worst case scenario is that I end up with one of the Junior Suites I have already seen. (Well, actually, the worst case is that someone cancels a bad JS and we end up in that one, but are there really any bad Juniors?)

So my question is if you all think this is a good idea, and if it is what are my odds of getting a Grand Suite?

PS - it doesn't hurt that booking the JS seems to help me to get to platinum that much faster, as I believe that we get double points.

Follow-up question: In all our years cruising, we have never booked a Guaranty category before. Do we not find out our cabin assignment until we check in, or do they let us know a few days before. And if we don't know before we check in, how is our luggage handled?

As always, thanks in advance.

I think it's a great idea for the cost.

I have no idea what the odds are of getting a GS.

If you don't know the stateroom number by the time you arrive at the pier, the porters will be able to look it up on the manifest.

Edited by clarea

Chances are they would bump someone who paid for a full price over a guarantee suite. However keep in mind that a JS does not have the same level of privacy as a family room.

Also some rooms may be blocked out, but will become available later. So I wouldn't count on getting the rooms you see at the moment.

If you really want the balcony and the privacy, depending on pricing and your kid's ages you also might look at connecting rooms or rooms across the hall from each other.

I thought you could only book guarantees if you had 2 people?

Didn't think of that, there are a good number of JS staterooms without a sofa bed.

I wonder if the OP entered only 2 guests in order to display the guarantee price.

Didn't think of that, there are a good number of JS staterooms without a sofa bed.

I wonder if the OP entered only 2 guests in order to display the guarantee price.

Nope - entered three when I tried it online, and Guaranty came up as an option. But the price came from my TA, who has all of our information.

Nope - entered three when I tried it online, and Guaranty came up as an option. But the price came from my TA, who has all of our information.

They must have a good number of JS staterooms with sofa beds then. Unusual.