Magic, cozumel time coming from Galveston

I'm sailing from Galveston, March 6.

What will the local time be in Cozumel? What time will the ship be?

My documents say 10:00 arrival, and I had booked a non Carnival excursion that leaves at 11. I thought I was good, but now I'm reading and I'm afraid I won't make the excursion.

I tried searching, but my head is spinning more than it was before I tried finding an answer.

I'm sailing from Galveston, March 6.

What will the local time be in Cozumel? What time will the ship be?

My documents say 10:00 arrival, and I had booked a non Carnival excursion that leaves at 11. I thought I was good, but now I'm reading and I'm afraid I won't make the excursion.

I tried searching, but my head is spinning more than it was before I tried finding an answer.

Mexico does not observe Daylight Savings time. Cozumel has one source of income, and it's tourism. Your excursion company understands that. Don't sweat the details.

My only suggestion is to get ready prior to the announcements stating the ship is clear for passengers to go ashore. In most cases that happens within 20 minutes of the last mooring lines being winched tight.

There is no priority debarkation for the ship in Cozumel. Even Carnival excursions meet down the pier, usually in the area between Three Amigos and Ron Jons (sp).

Edited by BallFour4

If you are doing your own thing you should be fine to get right off. Last time in Cozumel and recently in Aruba and Curacao, the Carnival Excursions met in the main lounge. WE all left at the same time when the tour was ready to depart. No more standing out in the heat waiting for those people who cant tell time or insist on shopping before the tour.

Cozumel is on EST, one hour ahead of Galveston which is on CST. In the summer it is two hours ahead because it does not observe DST. Your ship will be arriving at the same time your tour is scheduled to leave.

You need to speak with the vendor since it is a non Carnival excursion. Depending on who is actually on the excursion it is likely to leave without you unless it is just your group.

Edited by zqvol

There shouldn't be any difference in time. Galveston and Cozumel are both in the Central Time Zone. Daylight savings time doesn't start until March 13.

This used to be true. I don't think that is true anymore. Mexico changed the time zone for the eastern part of the country sometime in 2015. I think that change moved Cozumel into Eastern Standard Time. No Daylight Savings Time in Cozumel.

Edited by kbanowsky

In the summer it is two hours ahead because it does not observe DST.

Don't quote me on this, because comparing time zones makes my head hurt, but I think that during the summer, Cozumel and Galveston will be in the same time zone, so to speak. Cozumel is on Eastern Standard Time, which is GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) minus 5 hours. Galveston is currently on Central Standard Time, which is GMT -6 hours. But, starting March 13 (this year, I think) Galveston will be on Central Daylight Time, which is GMT -5 hours.

Don't sweat it..... the tourism in Cozumel is critical for their economy. ALL the Vendors have the chart of which ships come in each day, and their time of arrival, where they sail from, etc. When you book with many of the Vendors, online, it asks you which ship, and then automatically tells you if you can do it or not.

To state that Mexico doesn't observe Daylight Savings time is flat out misleading. Mexico does observe daylight savings time. But the state of Sonora and Quintana Roo where Cancun and Cozumel is doesn't observe it therefore the clock is always at UTC -5.

Right now Cozumel has the same time as New York City (EST) (UTC -5). But between March 18th and November 6th Cozumel will have the same time as Texas (CDT) (UTC -5).

Things are different on the West Coast. If you took a cruise out of Los Angeles today to Mexico's Baja Peninsula you would be in the same time zone as Los Angeles (PST). Except for the few weeks where the day light savings time period is different between US and Mexico which likely would happen if you are taking a Spring Break cruise.

The US recently changed the dates all states observe Daylight savings time. Mexico is still on the old dates. So in Mexico daylight savings time starts on April 3rd, 2016 and will run through October 30th, 2016. Here in the US we will change our clocks on March 18th, 2016 and November 6th, 2016.

Edited by eweiss1979