Cheers Program Enhanced :)

kimnicki

Have had CHEERS for the last 4 cruises and it was a great value each time. Enjoyed trying new wines and beers that normally don't drink. Made friends with a bartender and tried new mixed drinks too. It's not all about getting drunk, it's about enhancing your cruise experience by trying new things. Already purchased for next cruise in less than a month. Looking forward to the addition of coffee and waters to the plan. [emoji568]

Having just come off Celebrity Constellation during a spring break cruise, I can say without doubt that they have their fair share of hard drinking rowdies. Most of them had beverage packages, as I saw very few receipt holders being handed out.

I even saw a few getting cut off by the bar staff in the nightclub. And of course that brings me right back around to my original point that Carnival should follow suit in uncapping their plans and dealing with problems on a case by case basis.

I'm not sure if that's condescension or humor (or both). In either case, it really doesn't take much practice to drink 15 beers over the course of 15 hours and not be overly intoxicated. I just enjoy beer, and indulging while on vacation is far from unusual.

Another reason that I believe their cap is to protect the profit margin is that it makes guests less likely to share drinks with others without the package. While I understand that sharing is against the rules anyway, it still doesn't make the cap any more palatable.

It's frustrating. I used to really look forward to an annual group cruise that I was a part of. But when they tried moving us into Cheers from the old "open bar" program everyone left for Royal Caribbean. Now it's like pulling teeth for me to get even a few of them back on CCL.

I don't doubt you, but if that prevails, on a mor regular basis, then they will follow suit as well. Spring break cruises might not be the most typical Celebrity cruises though. I would love to see the demographics between the two lines. Right now, according to a BDM I know, their occupancy is way down, which is head scratching material. We are considering trying them for a group Alaskan cruise next summer.

I and sure that part of the motivation is profit margin, they would be foolish not to consider it and I am sure all of them do.

I have had Cheers for every cruise since it was rolled out. I don't worry about the cost per day, just overall. I spent most of my time in the Alchemy Bar where drinks are almost $10. I might not have spent my $50ish every day, but my bar bill went from $1200 to $$800 on a 7 day cruise.

I have seen many guys drinking beer, then suddenly their wives are at the bar getting a beer....hmmmm. Most bartenders are there to make sure you are happy. The first day they might not let you buy the 1 drinks with 2 cards, but if you talk to them a bit, and go to the same people, they will do it.

Last cruise, there was a guy at the sports bar, drinking beer, and he said to the bartender, oh, I am going to have to tap into my wife's drinks soon, and he was fine with that. If you know you can drink 20 beers then go for it, your partner can always buy you some drinks too.

One last thing, everyone underestimates how much they *might* drink, especially if you have never cruised before. I saw a few couples who didn't get it, then checked their bills a couple days into the cruise and would have benefitted. Of course if you don't drink at all, then you know. I recommend getting it day 2 if you are unsure, then you can see how much you drank on day 1. Or don't get it, and see how much you spend.

At current drink prices, it is about 6 drinks/ day or a total of 49 for 7days.

Having just come off Celebrity Constellation during a spring break cruise, I can say without doubt that they have their fair share of hard drinking rowdies. Most of them had beverage packages, as I saw very few receipt holders being handed out.

I even saw a few getting cut off by the bar staff in the nightclub. And of course that brings me right back around to my original point that Carnival should follow suit in uncapping their plans and dealing with problems on a case by case basis.

I'm not sure if that's condescension or humor (or both). In either case, it really doesn't take much practice to drink 15 beers over the course of 15 hours and not be overly intoxicated. I just enjoy beer, and indulging while on vacation is far from unusual.

Another reason that I believe their cap is to protect the profit margin is that it makes guests less likely to share drinks with others without the package. While I understand that sharing is against the rules anyway, it still doesn't make the cap any more palatable.

It's frustrating. I used to really look forward to an annual group cruise that I was a part of. But when they tried moving us into Cheers from the old "open bar" program everyone left for Royal Caribbean. Now it's like pulling teeth for me to get even a few of them back on CCL.

Well Said Grady.. How fast we forget NCL is no 79.00 a day for the package...

Well Said Grady.. How fast we forget NCL is no 79.00 a day for the package...

True but NCL (and Celebrity) offer their drink packages as a perk . So yes their drink packages are significantly above Carnival but the large majority are not paying for them . ( I understand that nothing is free , this perk may disappear and there are additional restrictions . )

I think their prices are high so all the people getting them as part of their cruise fare will believe they got a huge deal . If Carnival starts including their drink package into their cruise prices (no time soon) , I'd bet they will raise their prices too . :rolleyes:

Edited by richstowe

True but NCL (and Celebrity) offer their drink packages as a perk . So yes their drink packages are significantly above Carnival but the large majority are not paying for them . ( I understand that nothing is free , this perk may disappear and there are additional restrictions . )

I think their prices are high so all the people getting them as part of their cruise fare will believe they got a huge deal . If Carnival starts including their drink package into their cruise prices (no time soon) , I'd bet they will raise their prices too . :rolleyes:

No time soon Did not know you worked for Carnival..

Probably a dumb question, but if you buy the Cheers package before departure from the website is it credited towards your sail and sign account, or is it a separate charge on your credit card completely?

It will be bought and paid for before you get on the ship so it is it's own charge on your credit card. Just like if you pre-purchase an excursion. It charges you when you check out online. Your sign and sail account will reflect that you have purchased the Cheers program but not be charged to it. If you wait until you are on the ship it will cost $5 more per day.

Probably a dumb question, but if you buy the Cheers package before departure from the website is it credited towards your sail and sign account, or is it a separate charge on your credit card completely?

It is a separate charge. Just purchased Cheers for a May 29, 2016 7-day sailing on Breeze. A $689.32 Bon Voyage purchase is showing as a current charge on my online cc account. The puchase does not show in my cruise details on the Carnival website like an excursion purchase does. I did receive an email confirmation of the purchase which I will save in case of future isses.

Happy cruising!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

^, ^^ Thanks.

It also appears that the only way to pay for cheers before departure is with a credit card. Is there an option to use gift cards or not?

Everything I have read on the subject of gift cards (I assume Carnival Cash?) the only way to use that for the package is to wait until you are on board. Again this would result in a $5 per person per day increase in the price.

So I've bought Cheers for the first time for our upcoming cruise.

What's the community opinion if I stumble down at 7am to get specialty coffee for myself and my wife.. and take both of our cards. Will they give me 2 for me to take back to the cabin???

Not coffee but I was able to take mine and my husbands card to the bar and get a drink for him and one for me multiple times on the cruise we were on mid-March. I think it's probably a YMMV situation depending on the bartender.

What's the community opinion if I stumble down at 7am to get specialty coffee for myself and my wife.. and take both of our cards. Will they give me 2 for me to take back to the cabin???

Yes you can. As long as you have two cards for 2 drinks, they won't care. You'll just need to sign your wife's copy of the receipt.

Technically they are not supposed to but some will and some will not. If you have been going to the same bartender or coffee bar together and they recognize you they will. It pays to go to the same person.

• 1 month later...

I haven't sailed on Carnival in about 5 years but the last time we did do the Cheers under the old package and just about broke even. Just not having to worry about the last night bill was nice. Not sure about any $50.00 drinks but after seeing some of the prices of wine by the bottle in the steakhouse I could only imagine the price per glass. It was one of cases with us, if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it so we never asked. This time we might even ask.