Cheers Program Enhanced :)

kimnicki

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Dream. Enhanced Cheers Program was nice. Patron Margaritas are now included. We were also able to request a bottle of water at the same time as our alcoholic beverage. This was a nice add on. Helped keep me hydrated and if I didn't drink it, I would just tighten the lid and take it back to the cabin.

Celebrity has been rolling their "classic" drink package into their cruise pricing in almost all their OV and above cruises . However they do it in a real smart/sneaky way . It only includes beer up to $6 , drinks to $8 and wine up to $9 a glass . The choice at these levels is very limited so many pay the extra $10 + tip PP to upgrade to the premium package . No you don't have to upgrade but it is engineered so that you will especially as the base program was "free" .

In short , except for problem drinkers (no 15 alcohol drink limit) , I believe Carnival's program is more inclusive .

You imply that 15 drinks a day equals a "problem drinker". A does not always equal B in that equation. I'm one that loathes the cap, and I'm certainly not a problem drinker. I've never been in trouble with ship's security nor been cut off by a bartender.

My issue with the arbitrary 15 cap is this: I drink only beer. While on a cruise, I'm usually awake from around 11 am to whenever the club shuts down around 3-4 am. That's about fifteen hours. It's certainly not abusive to average one beer an hour.

My point is, and will continue to be, that their cap is there solely to protect their profit margin. It has nothing to do with health and safety. Bartenders can and do cut passengers off when they're getting overly intoxicated. Security can do the same. There are already checks in place for those problem drinkers.

You imply that 15 drinks a day equals a "problem drinker".I do A does not always equal B in that equation. I'm one that loathes the cap, and I'm certainly not a problem drinker. I've never been in trouble with ship's security nor been cut off by a bartender.Congratulations

My issue with the arbitrary 15 cap is this: I drink only beer. While on a cruise, I'm usually awake from around 11 am to whenever the club shuts down around 3-4 am. That's about fifteen hours. It's certainly not abusive to average one beer an hour. You do not want to average a drink and hour for 15 straight hours. You are complaining because that is not enough for you .

My point is, and will continue to be, that their cap is there solely to protect their profit margin.If it was simply about profit margin , they would allow you to buy more drinks at your own cost . Get it ? It has nothing to do with health and safety. Bartenders can and do cut passengers off when they're getting overly intoxicated. Security can do the same. There are already checks in place for those problem drinkers.Are you one of those who is always complaining that Carnival is a joke in their lack of enforcement for chair hogs or controlling bratty kids but now you believe they have the ability to control problem drinkers ? Especially habitual ones who can easily :confused: drink over 15 day after day ?

I apologize for making foolish assumptions . Please forgive me . What do you propose the limit should be - 25 or 50 ? Edited by richstowe

You both actually make some good points, and good reading as well. The fact is that Carnival has hard limits for both reasons (cost and safety - both for the guest drinking as well as others....). I do realize that 15 is an arbitrary number, but what makes Carnival unique in its application of a limit is their clientele, pure and simple. Doubt Celebrity has many people falling off bar stools or rowdy from drinking.

If the package cap # raised from 15 to, say, 20 or so, Carnival would very likely raise the price point to ensure that they do not lose out at all because some people, but not all, would hit that new limit.

If the cap were raised to, for discussion sake, 20 drinks per day, would people be ok if the price point went up to $59 or more? Perhaps Carnival has identified the price point that is their "tipping point" and uses 15 not to control guest conduct, but to control guest purchase decisions?

You both actually make some good points, and good reading as well. The fact is that Carnival has hard limits for both reasons (cost and safety - both for the guest drinking as well as others....). I do realize that 15 is an arbitrary number, but what makes Carnival unique in its application of a limit is their clientele, pure and simple. Doubt Celebrity has many people falling off bar stools or rowdy from drinking.
It was fun writing that post . :D I have no doubt that he could handle 15+ . Practice practice practice .

Carnival pax may be different then those on other cruise lines . I am not sure but the perception is that they are . Part of the issue is the % of 3 & 4 day cruises that they sail . Carnival the party line ! They always seem to have to fight this image . There are many who won't cruise Carnival because of this impression .

Plus as I posted "If it was simply about profit margin , they would allow you to buy more drinks at your own cost ".

Edited by richstowe

That could be a good reason Maxwell....honestly I am extremely impressed for once with Carnival on enhancing their Cheers package, I think its wonderful what they did!

I agree. I think the additions to the package are excellent and make the package one of the best values amongst all the cruiselines. But would people pay 20% more to remove or change the cap on alcohol drinks?

Good question, but for us, we would pay more but never hit that 15 drink limit anyways but it would be wonderful for those who drink beer because most people who drink beer can pack in a six pack in an hour or so lol. I have to say the majority wouldn't want to pay more but perhaps they should have a separate wine/beer package? (we don't drink beer so for us we don't need that but others may)

I agree. I think the additions to the package are excellent and make the package one of the best values amongst all the cruiselines. But would people pay 20% more to remove or change the cap on alcohol drinks?

I sure wouldn't, because the 15 limit isn't even a remote concern for us. Not even a remote remote concern.

Carnival has definitely picked up two more Cheers buying customers with this change. We've never gotten it before. Now the package is essentially all inclusive in terms of drinks. My husband and I mean might reach 5 or 6 a day each but will get coffee, bottled water, vitamin water and whatever else and not have to worry about our bar n beverage bill.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

If carnival has the limit for safety, why don't they have the limit on everyone. If you buy your drinks individually, there is not a 15 drink limit.

If carnival has the limit for safety, why don't they have the limit on everyone. If you buy your drinks individually, there is not a 15 drink limit.

Because of all the variations they cannot control. Primary example is when we board I buy rounds (and have drinks bought for me) from others in our group. There are other reasons.

I am going to try Cheers for the first time on my next cruise. The extra drinks added and the increase in the price of allowable drinks appealed to me. I may not buy it every time and I doubt I hit the 15 day limit of alcohol everyday, but it still appeals to me.

I don't understand, but why does almost everyone make the goal of Cheers either 15 or don't buy it. What about the person that consumes 7-8 a day? It's still a good purchase.

Thats exactly what I say......if you drink 7 drinks your paying what it costs per day for the Cheers program.
Exactly . Even 5-6 drink drinks and the same or more non-alcohol drinks makes for a reasonable deal . On Celebrity we averaged 12 - 13 drinks a day, most without alcohol . Watch the calories though .:D

I don't understand, but why does almost everyone make the goal of Cheers either 15 or don't buy it. What about the person that consumes 7-8 a day? It's still a good purchase.

I don't get that either. Read my previous post. We won't even hit 7 or 8 alcoholic drinks. I guess I just don't see, from a very basic point of view, consuming that much liquid in a day. I don't drink 15 or more of anything in a day. Way too much going back and forth to the bathroom. Way too much of a bloated/ full feeling.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Having just come off Celebrity Constellation during a spring break cruise, I can say without doubt that they have their fair share of hard drinking rowdies. Most of them had beverage packages, as I saw very few receipt holders being handed out.

I even saw a few getting cut off by the bar staff in the nightclub. And of course that brings me right back around to my original point that Carnival should follow suit in uncapping their plans and dealing with problems on a case by case basis.

It was fun writing that post . :D I have no doubt that he could handle 15+ . Practice practice practice .

Carnival pax may be different then those on other cruise lines . I am not sure but the perception is that they are . Part of the issue is the % of 3 & 4 day cruises that they sail . Carnival the party line ! They always seem to have to fight this image . There are many who won't cruise Carnival because of this impression .

Plus as I posted "If it was simply about profit margin , they would allow you to buy more drinks at your own cost ".

I'm not sure if that's condescension or humor (or both). In either case, it really doesn't take much practice to drink 15 beers over the course of 15 hours and not be overly intoxicated. I just enjoy beer, and indulging while on vacation is far from unusual.

Another reason that I believe their cap is to protect the profit margin is that it makes guests less likely to share drinks with others without the package. While I understand that sharing is against the rules anyway, it still doesn't make the cap any more palatable.

It's frustrating. I used to really look forward to an annual group cruise that I was a part of. But when they tried moving us into Cheers from the old "open bar" program everyone left for Royal Caribbean. Now it's like pulling teeth for me to get even a few of them back on CCL.

Edited by DarthGrady