Lounge chair hogs.

On a recent Celebrity Cruise some guy chained chairs together! A nice couple moved both of the chained chairs to a spot far from the pool! We all cheered!

Really, chains? How would you even articulate a need for chains if you are questioned about them when your luggage gets scanned? The only legitimate reason for bringing chains on board is if you were forced to bring you're mother in-law on the trip !!!

Chained?! How is that allowable? Isn't it funny how those chair hogs do not defend their selfish stance on these boards.

Could be interesting:rolleyes:

I think a few have... they just do it in a clandestine manner... "why not go find another spot on the ship to sit?" etc...

Have you tried itching powder? I'm going for a new idea this year:

I have printed business size cards (vistaprint) for those that park really bad that I have been using for a couple of years. I'm thinking of ordering a box for bad cruise mates where you check a box next to the offense and sneakily leave them the card. Looking for ideas:

* chair hog

* loud and obnoxious

Personally, if I saw someone sprinkling something on my belongings/towel (itching powder, etc) it would be a bad day for them.

The cards are a fancy passive-aggressive way to deal with people. Or you could just ignore it and stop wasting so much of your precious vacation time / life worrying about what everyone else is doing and spend that time and energy enjoying your life. Just a thought!

We always get to the theater early and watch people trying to save a lot of seats all in the same row. Frantically pacing back and forth telling others they can't sit there. We consider it part of the entertainment and just sit there and laugh. Probably the same people that are the pool chair hogs.

I can vouch for how inconsiderate and rude these hogs are. I particularly recall heading to the Aqua Theater for a show, almost 45 minutes before the show, and found a lady telling me I couldn't sit on ANY of the chairs in the ENTIRE row! I asked her why not and she proceeded to talk very slowly as if talking to someone with very low brain cells, that she was saving the entire row of seats for her family. All while the giant screens at the Theater behind her, was flashing messages to NOT SAVE SEATS! Well i pointed towards the screen and sat down with my child. She then looked like she was ready to punch us and marched off in a huff and told her husband in a voice so loud so that everyone around her could hear her, swearing and ranting at how rude i was with adjectives like , coloured. fuXXX, bitch.

I can tell you that this behavior, while laughable now, was actually upsetting for my child, but i wanted my child to know that we are entitled to those seats too and not to be bullied. Needless to say, she only had 3 in total in her party that showed up for the show.

I don't know how people are quite happy uttering racial slurs at the drop of the hat.

I don't think the person was right to save the row, but we're there no other seats you could have used 45 minutes early? Even if they were being rude, you could have been nice.

Tom

I can vouch for how inconsiderate and rude these hogs are. I particularly recall heading to the Aqua Theater for a show, almost 45 minutes before the show, and found a lady telling me I couldn't sit on ANY of the chairs in the ENTIRE row! I asked her why not and she proceeded to talk very slowly as if talking to someone with very low brain cells, that she was saving the entire row of seats for her family. All while the giant screens at the Theater behind her, was flashing messages to NOT SAVE SEATS! Well i pointed towards the screen and sat down with my child. She then looked like she was ready to punch us and marched off in a huff and told her husband in a voice so loud so that everyone around her could hear her, swearing and ranting at how rude i was with adjectives like , coloured. fuXXX, bitch.

I can tell you that this behavior, while laughable now, was actually upsetting for my child, but i wanted my child to know that we are entitled to those seats too and not to be bullied. Needless to say, she only had 3 in total in her party that showed up for the show.

I don't know how people are quite happy uttering racial slurs at the drop of the hat.

I have no problem moving someone's stuff at the pool. They're the ones who are rude for saving seats that clearly aren't being used. I've done it plenty of times, and no one has EVER had the guts to be rude about it, though I have seen people come to claim their chairs and walk away rather sheepishly. Even if they opt for a confrontation, you don't have to take part. Just don't get up.

30 minutes is ridiculous. Are we supposed to stand around with our things in our hands for 30 minutes while waiting to see if anyone shows up? No, taking a good look around, then moving things immediately is the right answer.

Also, no problems with chairs that're actually being used by people who are in the pool or the hot tub: When people are actually IN the area, it's easy enough to tell that from their chairs. They tend to use two towels, and the towels clearly have been "sat upon". Typically you see a pair of sandals tucked under these chairs, along with a tote bag, perhaps a cover-up and some reading material and sunscreen. (Note: I would never, ever move someone's things if I can tell they're in the area /actually using the chair.) In contrast, hogged chairs sport ONLY a folded towel or a magazine ... and often you'll see 2-3 chairs in a row with the same items.

I like it when they leave more than just towels.

Books, sun glasses, MP3 players, cameras,etc.

I just grab them, and when I get home, put them on E-bay,

so I can get more money, so I can cruise more, to get more stuff, to get more money, to cruise more. :D

I give the "abandon" stuff away as Christmas presents.

Also, no problems with chairs that're actually being used by people who are in the pool or the hot tub: When people are actually IN the area, it's easy enough to tell that from their chairs. They tend to use two towels, and the towels clearly have been "sat upon". Typically you see a pair of sandals tucked under these chairs, along with a tote bag, perhaps a cover-up and some reading material and sunscreen. (Note: I would never, ever move someone's things if I can tell they're in the area /actually using the chair.) In contrast, hogged chairs sport ONLY a folded towel or a magazine ... and often you'll see 2-3 chairs in a row with the same items.

I agree. I was in the Solarium on Navigator a couple months ago, and I sat in the hot tub for half an hour or so. There were six chairs all in a row along the outer edge, all with items placed "just so" on the seat, with nary a soul coming near any of the chairs for the entire time I was in observance.

When I was done poaching myself in the hot tub, I went over to the line of chairs and put the tote bag from the chair on the end onto the (folded and obviously not being used) towel on the chair next to it. I then proceeded to spread out my own towel and read my Kindle for a while. After probably twenty minutes of reading (in addition to the half hour that I'd been observing the chairs prior to that), I rolled over to take a snooze.

Some time after that (maybe ten minutes? so an hour after I started observing the chairs...) I hear some old biddy say in a WAY overly loud voice, "She took my chair! That <word that rhymes with witch> stole my <word that rhymes with ducking> chair! How dare she??? I'm going to check my bag, she'd better not have <word that rhymes with ducking> stolen any of my stuff!!!"

The biddy rummaged around in her tote bag (which was zipped up the entire time), then started in again when it was obvious that nothing was missing: "She'd better hope none of my stuff is broken, because I'll sue her <word that rhymes with ducking> <word that rhymes with class... something she clearly didn't possess in the least!> if she broke any of my stuff!!" Seriously, I picked up her tote bag and set it on the lounger eight inches away... did she think I was using it as a dance floor for tap dancing lessons or something? :rolleyes:

I just feigned sleep the entire time -- she obviously wasn't worth the energy it would take to explain to her that it's against the rules to save chairs, and clearly posted as such. I do wish that I'd been sleeping on my back instead of my stomach, though, so I could have snuck a peek at her through my sunglasses. I would have loved to have tormented her throughout the rest of the cruise. :p

LabRat,

As for the itching powder, I haven't tried that (yet) as I just wanted to see what reaction I would get … but I think I'll try it next January on the Harmony.

Not sure why you think I let any of this ruin my vacation as I enjoy agitating rude people and watching their reaction.

P.S. It's TOSU not OSU … now doesn't that sound lovely.

I very much hope that people are just venting their frustration and would not in practice do any of the things suggested on this thread.

Why risk a confrontation and ruin your holiday?

My view. Don't interfere with other people's belonging no matter how much their behaviour offends. You will not always be able to accurately judge their actions and motives anyway.

So what would be reasonable :

a). Polite conversation with staff and determine what the policy is and whether they are enforcing it. Then go with the flow.

b). Politely provide your feedback in writing at guest services and perhaps an email once off the ship. if enough people voice their concerns then RCI could act to get tougher.

c). Relax and enjoy your holiday. Don't let other people's behaviour spoil it. Don't act in a way which makes your behaviour as questionable as their's.

I agree. Even if others are being rude, according to any definition, that doesn't make being rude back better.

If you are in physical harm that is a different story, of course. But, if someone has reserved a chair that you want, would that really make causing them physical harm with some substance or by flinging their personal items overboard?

So far as I know, none of the passengers have been hired or sworn in to police the pool area. What gives anyone the right to mess with other people's stuff just because you think they are rude? If we return physical crime for rudeness don't we just cause more problems?

Tom

I very much hope that people are just venting their frustration and would not in practice do any of the things suggested on this thread.

Why risk a confrontation and ruin your holiday?

My view. Don't interfere with other people's belonging no matter how much their behaviour offends. You will not always be able to accurately judge their actions and motives anyway.

So what would be reasonable :

a). Polite conversation with staff and determine what the policy is and whether they are enforcing it. Then go with the flow.

b). Politely provide your feedback in writing at guest services and perhaps an email once off the ship. if enough people voice their concerns then RCI could act to get tougher.

c). Relax and enjoy your holiday. Don't let other people's behaviour spoil it. Don't act in a way which makes your behaviour as questionable as their's.

I agree. Even if others are being rude, according to any definition, that doesn't make being rude back better.

If you are in physical harm that is a different story, of course. But, if someone has reserved a chair that you want, would that really make causing them physical harm with some substance or by flinging their personal items overboard?

So far as I know, none of the passengers have been hired or sworn in to police the pool area. What gives anyone the right to mess with other people's stuff just because you think they are rude? If we return physical crime for rudeness don't we just cause more problems?

Tom

You are right, taking and keeping someone's stuff or throwing it overboard is stealing. Putting a potentially harmful substance in someone's stuff is assault, imo. No one has the right to do any of that.

It is up to the ship's crew to enforce any rules, not the passengers.

Sherri:)

I don't think the person was right to save the row, but we're there no other seats you could have used 45 minutes early? Even if they were being rude, you could have been nice.

Tom

And this is why the behavior continues. People actually thinking that it is not "nice" to sit in what is probably a preferred location because someone wants to save an entire row.

If I come to a theater early it is because I am expecting a good show, and want a good seat. I always arrive with my entire party (usually just 2 of us) and sit in the seats that I want to sit in. THAT IS WHAT BEING NICE IS! Enabling bad behavior by giving in to a bully is definitely NOT NICE.

:eek: Oh. My. Gosh. That is horrible!:mad: What a repugnant, disgusting woman. And how terrible for your child to have to witness that.:(

I have read so many threads on this subject. I usually just look for an empty chair after asking around if anyone is sitting there. It works for me.

On another issue, on my last cruise I was able to get a lounger next to the pool, was relaxing & reading & someone started spraying a sun tan spray all around her. Needless to say, she got me too. I started (exaggerating) coughing & waving my hand in front of my face. She did apologize. I just wish people would be more aware of how what they are doing will affect nearby people. Those loungers are placed so close to each other you cannot walk between them & you get the spray or hear all the conversation around you.

I still enjoy all my cruises.

And this is why the behavior continues. People actually thinking that it is not "nice" to sit in what is probably a preferred location because someone wants to save an entire row.

If I come to a theater early it is because I am expecting a good show, and want a good seat. I always arrive with my entire party (usually just 2 of us) and sit in the seats that I want to sit in. THAT IS WHAT BEING NICE IS! Enabling bad behavior by giving in to a bully is definitely NOT NICE.

/\This.

Enabling rude, selfish, entitled, rule-breaking jerks is not being "nice".:mad: It is vindicating their obnoxious behaviour. From Chukli's report of the situation, she did NOTHING wrong, in fact what she did was right.

...Isn't it funny how those chair hogs do not defend their selfish stance on these boards.

Could be interesting:rolleyes:

I think a few have... they just do it in a clandestine manner... "why not go find another spot on the ship to sit?" etc...

I've seen lines like "If you want a chair, get up early and get it. Don't expect to sleep in and stroll out onto deck at noon and be able to have a lounger" used in the threads on this topic. I think the people saying that are probably the hogs.;) Also, years ago on CC, there were some proud chair hogs that did come out and defend their actions, calling others "chair vultures".:rolleyes::p

This behavior is disgusting that she displeyed and I would have stood up next to you and sat down with you. People like that need to be shown how deplorable their behavior is!

Tom

I believe she was nice. She sat where she wanted and had pointed out to offender that it was posted "no saving seats" much less an entire row meant for a dozen people. She wanted to sit there. Rolling over for offenders is persecution on your rights. Get a clue...REALLY?!

Included she was a bigot....all bets are off for these types!

This is another benefit of cruising solo ... I only have to look for one chair! :D

I've never had a problem finding a seat near the pool and if I do leave my stuff there, it's never for an extended period of time. I'm either in the hot tub, getting something to eat or visiting the restroom. When I'm leaving my seat, I'll give the attendant an indication that I'll be back shortly.