Sunshine (revisited) 02/13/16 Exotic Carib review

jimbo5544

and then we made it. Kudo's to the captain and his team, it was interesting. We got off and made our way to the pool where we grabbed some chairs. The Splendor would take a while to get in as well, but this would be our first time in GT with two ships.

2monqmc.jpg

After returning to the ship, we cleaned up and headed to Lido to catch a small snack and watch sail away. We had reservations at the Steakhouse that night and had planned it specifically for that night knowing we would be in GT and it would be a good day for doing it.

It is interesting that they make everyone get out of the water when a ship leaves GT. There was a guy on a jet ski and a guy on the beach doing this. There were a couple of people who needed some additional motivation, but they eventually got everyone out and we pulled away.

Going to the Steakhouse later on in the evening was a real treat. Having picked early dining for the kids sake was the right move, but for this evening it was going to be the 5 adults and having a later start time was a nice touch.

We dropped the kids off after a room service dinner for them at CC, (which by the way they loved) and then we had the option of relaxing, getting a cocktail and chilling for a while before heading down to the Steakhouse for dinner.

For those who do not know, the Steakhouse on the Sunshine is located on 4 above the mid dining room (in what used to be the upper level of that dining room).

We love the Steakhouse and eat there at least once and sometimes two times on a cruise, we think it is a relaxing upscale dinner in a great atmosphere (and yes there are no table cloths in the Sunshine Steakhouse, and no it did no detract from the meal from our perspective), a great way to have a very good meal with excellent service and excellent food. I always opt for the dry rubbed ribeye, with starters of Onion soup and beefsteak tomato's with gorgonzola cheese and balsamic vinagerette dressing over the top. I have to be careful not to fill up before the main course comes.

Thanks again for yours too..I really want to do that. My trip there was in and out same day and did fort..after reading all here that will be something to really look forward to.

Thanks for that about dad..almost 82 going on 60 in some ways...he is just a cowboy and very very very happy now...so I am happy..but glad it is over...now a minor surgery and we will be through. His sciatica never hurt then..??!! Watched a show on it with him last night and frankly I am in shock. I am not dad lol..give me my continued weight loss and a walk and a fancy view lodge..LOL...not that trail walking or riding..YIKES...bur Dad and Dudly the mule did fine..and he is a geologist too...so everything he saw was absolutely fab for him...lots of time to talk about it too with the riders..he got his ego stroked..Ok sorry so off topic...except for love of travel and family..LOL..big stretch.

Looking forward to rest of your cruise...you have as many with the grands as dad will soon have with the grands and greats...again loving review...and think they are really working on mosquito born things..worried about mentioning that.:o No need to respond here.. I just had to...thanks and great to finish this story abt you and yours.

Really enjoyed your comments and review Jimbo, as well as the input from others. We are on the Eastern cruise next February, and I was curious about San Juan. Last year, we sailed out of San Juan, and security was (too say the least) lax on liquor since there was no communication between the land security and up the walkway at the ship. I'm not really into smuggling, but there is a rum or two I would like to get in San Juan and be able to take off the boat back in Cape Canaveral. I don't want the extra hassle of waiting in two lines on the last morning (one for purchases on the ship and one for off the ship). I know you stayed on the ship, but was wondering if anyone else went ashore and bought anything in San Juan. Thanks

Really enjoyed your comments and review Jimbo, as well as the input from others. We are on the Eastern cruise next February, and I was curious about San Juan. Last year, we sailed out of San Juan, and security was (too say the least) lax on liquor since there was no communication between the land security and up the walkway at the ship. I'm not really into smuggling, but there is a rum or two I would like to get in San Juan and be able to take off the boat back in Cape Canaveral. I don't want the extra hassle of waiting in two lines on the last morning (one for purchases on the ship and one for off the ship). I know you stayed on the ship, but was wondering if anyone else went ashore and bought anything in San Juan. Thanks

I did not here of anyone mentioning that, although some that sailed with us have been reading along. Our experience in the past (well not ours but others cruising with us) echo's your thoughts. Thant being said, it was when we sailed from there, not stopped there as a cruise stop. Sorry I can't be of my assistance. Thanks for the kind words on the review, winding down, may finish tonight.

We had a nice bottle of wine with dinner and then they asked about dessert, I could not do it but had coffee, the others had the apple thingy...:confused:

After dinner we walked around the ship until it was time to pick up the kids from CC. We headed up (OK, I had to stop and get a popcorn as we walked by the Lido pool and dive in movie), and then headed to the cabin. I sat out on the deck for a good while (it is something I really love doing) and then called it a night.

Saturday, last day and a sea day

We woke and did our usual, after breakfast, we grabbed some chairs around the pool. The day started a little cloudy and overcast and while not cool, it was not hot either. We spent most of the day at the main pool. By lunch time the weather had improved, I and my last Guys burger for a while and by mid afternoon, headed up to the room to pack.

Packing at the end of the cruise is always a depressing thing to do. It is also something that I have found you can't really do fully until later in the evening. We did what we could, then headed down to the return guest party.

The new format of the return guest party is well....different. Not to say we did not enjoy it. They show the same video of all the ships, have some contests running (guess officer baby pictures, match eppilets to officer rank, name carnival ships, that sort of thing) and it is a less formal, more of get together type of thing. It is what it is.

After we headed over, met the rest of the crew, had a drink at the Red Frog and headed into dinner. Last evening dinners are unique. Some people that were there every other night choose not to come and we always feel the most connected with the staff on the last evening. After dinner we said our goodbyes and headed out.

There was another show that night called Epic Rock. We were on the fence as to go and eventually decided to attend it. I am glad we did. The show starts with the lead guitarist from the bad that played in Ocean's Plaza. He is by far the most talented of the group. He came out and opened the show playing riffs from many rock songs. Truly enjoyable. The show as very very good. For those sailing on the Sunshine I would highly recommend it. The two female leads were really good.

Sunday....debarkation day

Getting off the ship is always a bummer. It is interesting that the entire ship is about and about at such an early time. We met up for breakfast and then headed down the the Sunset dining room (mid ship) where the Plats and Diamonds that were doing self assist were meeting up to debark. Not long after arriving, they came and gave us the heave hoe and we exiting out to the left and off the ship. Clearly one of the easier debarks we have had.

We had to do self assist as they have moved our flight out of Orlando to 10:55 and we had arranged for our transfer to be at the ship at 8:15. They were waiting for us and within an hour we were at the airport and checked in for the flight home.

Next up final thoughts.......

This was our second sailing on the Sunshine in 6 months. In addition to that we had the opportunity so visit on her in New Orleans when she came over from Europe. Having sailed on her twice as the Destiny, we were very interested to see her then and to sail on her this past August and this sailing. I don't think I have seen a Carnival ship as maligned as the Sunshine was in reading about some of the issues that were had when she came out of the re-do (late) and clearly not ready.

When we did the sleepover in New Orleans we got to experience her and we were both pleasantly surprised with some things Lido aft (the Havana Bar area which would utilized in a very big way on the Vista), the interior design which we found to be refreshing, Serenity which was beautiful, and the large water park area. On the not so fond of list is they added rooms to an already busy ship, and the Lime light Lounge (where the comedy club is) which is way to small and some so so ones like the multi purpose main show room is certainly different, it works but is a little head scratching in the design.

We did not see any buckets and we saw no leaks. While she might not be our most favorite ship, she was fun, and would not hesitate sailing on her again (we did that already;)).

As with every other Carnival ship we have sailed on, the crew is the best asset they have. The worked hard on the Sunshine at making the sailing a success, it showed each and every day.

Hopefully my review and pics I loaded will give those sailing her some insight and others who are thinking of sailing her the impetus to do it. We were not sorry we did.

Thanks for following along with me, and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks Jimbo for the review. We will be doing our 3rd B2B on her in April. The Havana area is our "go to" place to meet friends.

We really like the omelet stations back there for breakfast. :)

Your welcome, believe me it was my pleasure doing, it def helps keep the cruise front of mind with reliving it as well as plan for the next one. We would love to do a B2B, retirement is not that far off and hope to do one then. Totally agree on the Havana area being the place to go. The omelet station is by far the least crowded as well as that area in general.

Excellent Review Jimbo !

My thoughts on the ship:

- Crew were outstanding.

- Shower is bigger than the newer ships, for a big guy like me this was a real treat.

- Agree the show lounge is a little odd, and too small.

- Production shows were very good, and varied. Lots of talent on board.

- CD Donkey was so/so.

- Debarkation in St-Maarten was absolutley horrific. making everybody try to wind their way thru the corridors on deck 1 before going down to deck 0 was a disaster.

- JiJi / Havana / Cucina area at back of Lido deck is a gem. Much better to sit there than on Lido.

- Would have liked to have Sign/Sail info available on in-cabin TV like other ships.

- Itinerary was fantastic. We had never been to any of these ports, and we enjoyed them all.

- Live music offerings could be better timed we thought, especially late afternoon before the production shows...there were times when lots of people milling about Ocean Plaza but no entertainement.

- Embarkation and Debarkation at Port Canaveral rate AAA+++

- Steak House and Cucuina for Dinner were Excellent.

- Food in the MDR was very good. Only a few gripes at our table of 12...basically just some nitpicking. Of note, the Lobster tails were very fresh and perfectly cooked (I had 2 servings).

- Mattresses in the cabins are starting to show thier age...ours were a little on the saggy side and had lost thier "plumpness".

This was a very enjoyable cruise !

:D

Excellent Review Jimbo !

My thoughts on the ship:

- Crew were outstanding.

- Shower is bigger than the newer ships, for a big guy like me this was a real treat.

- Agree the show lounge is a little odd, and too small.

- Production shows were very good, and varied. Lots of talent on board.

- CD Donkey was so/so.

- Debarkation in St-Maarten was absolutley horrific. making everybody try to wind their way thru the corridors on deck 1 before going down to deck 0 was a disaster.

- JiJi / Havana / Cucina area at back of Lido deck is a gem. Much better to sit there than on Lido.

- Would have liked to have Sign/Sail info available on in-cabin TV like other ships.

- Itinerary was fantastic. We had never been to any of these ports, and we enjoyed them all.

- Live music offerings could be better timed we thought, especially late afternoon before the production shows...there were times when lots of people milling about Ocean Plaza but no entertainement.

- Embarkation and Debarkation at Port Canaveral rate AAA+++

- Steak House and Cucuina for Dinner were Excellent.

- Food in the MDR was very good. Only a few gripes at our table of 12...basically just some nitpicking. Of note, the Lobster tails were very fresh and perfectly cooked (I had 2 servings).

- Mattresses in the cabins are starting to show thier age...ours were a little on the saggy side and had lost thier "plumpness".

This was a very enjoyable cruise !

:D

Thanks a bunch, I enjoyed doing it, echo your thoughts as well. I did not have a problem with the mattresses, but I think there is a dry dock coming up and they usually get replaced.