Sunshine (revisited) 02/13/16 Exotic Carib review

jimbo5544

Following for sure!

Was this the cruise that visits St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, and Grand Turk?

I am on that itinerary on the Sunshine in 3 weeks, and would love if you had copies of the FunTimes to upload. I've been searching, and cannot seem to find them anywhere!

If anyone who was on the cruise has this, please let me know!

That was our itinerary. I thought I had mentioned it but had not. I will see if we have the fun times and if do will upload them for you.

Since they had already announced general embarkation as we were leaving the VIP check in area, there was not much of a crowd as we made our way to the picture stations and then onto the ship.

A couple of comments on embarkation in general. We are usually among those getting to the terminal early and getting on the ship early. I do understand the upside of doing so. That said, (and we did it differently this time for other reasons) getting in the terminal, going through security, checking in and getting on the ship was a whole lot easier and stress free for this cruise. OK, that is my commercial for the new upcoming staggered embarkation process.

For the person that asked earlier, our cabin was 9164. Excellent location, and quiet.

The cabin did have some of the infamous Sunshine "sewer gas" odor (only in the bathroom). During one of the first port days, technicians worked on the ventilation system and the odor wasn't as bad afterwards. I think the ventilation system needs frequent cleaning on this ship.

We arrived at the port quite late this time, around 12:30pm. We had F2F so we were checked in and on board in about 15 minutes !

We flew into FLL (Fort Lauderdale) the evening before, and spent the night at the Hampton Inn in Fort Pierce. Unfortunately, our flight down got delayed by over 2 hours...so we ended up checking into the hotel past 3am...so we slept in a little later.

Edited by p_mori7

P mori I smelled the sewer smell aft area on 6,7, and 8 towards the last few days of the cruise. On the 2fl they seemed to have leaking water pipes problems as many blower fans were being used and twice I saw workers on laders working on the celing panels. The last day of the cruise I felt some water dripping down by our cabin 2157.

How old was Carson? My kids (6x2 and 8) were in Camp Carnival about half the nights for dinner (agony for them to sit longer than an hour) and then till 10.

Carson is 5 but he went into the older room to be with his sister who is 7.

Hopefully I can give you some insight on the ship by my review. Ask any questions you might have along the way. I also have a review on here of our previous sailing which might have some different pics. If you would like to see it, I could post the link to the review here.

Yes, that would be wonderful. Please post the link. And again thank you!

Hey Jimbo! It was great to meet you at the M and G! I look forward to comparing notes on this cruise. We were in balcony cabin 7275 and had a large shower area but the overall bathroom was smaller than usual. We were pleasantly surprised to have a fridge in our cabin.

It was great to meet you guys at the M & G as well. Sorry we did not run across one another during the cruise. Feel free to comment at any time here.

On our last cruise on the Sunshine in August, we stayed in the Captain's suite (port side). One spectacular room! On this cruise, our daughter and her family was staying in this room and we took a balcony downtime hall, partly to make their stay in the Captain's Suite all the more special, and partly cuz its pretty darn expensive to stay there.

We went to the rooms and their two kids (as well as my daughter and son in law as well), were suitably impressed with checking out the digs, and then we headed down to get something to eat. This sailing is a school break vacation week in the northeast and the ship is most def full. I hit Guy's for the first time and went back to the Havana area to eat. We met up with the last cabin in our group and then the wife and I showed them around the ship.

Soon enough it was muster drill time (a little late actually), right before we went down I glanced over the railing and noted they were still taking on supplies but the gangplanks were pulled back. After muster, I headed for the planned meet and greet at the Havana Bar. I met 5 or 6 people from the roll call, we had some nice conversations and since we had early seating dinner in the Sunset dining room, it was time to get ready for dinner.

Roll calls and meet and greets are funny animals, sometimes taking on a life of their own and sometimes withering on the vine. I am sure that FB has something to do with this but it is what it is. That being said, it is something I enjoy doing. Part of the Allure (not meant as a RCCL pun) of cruising is meeting new people and roll call M&G's is one way to do just that. On the way back to our room we met our room steward Moises, had a nice conversation with him and then changed for dinner (we had early dining).

The Sunshine is unique in that the rear dining room (Sunrise) is used for YTD and the other dining room (Sunset, and one level) is just assigned seating. What once was the second floor on the Sunset dining room (it used to called something else) is not an area where the Steakhouse, Piano Bar and Library bar are located. I say unique, but I think the Vista will be the same way. We usually prefer the aft dining room but it certainly was not a big deal. We had a center table (the wife really loves to be in the center for entertainment value) and all was well. We met our wait staff and had a good meal. I ended up buying the top wine package, and noticed how attentive the bar waiter was immediately.

After dinner, we wandered around, hit both Oceans Plaza and listened to band there as well as the entertainer in the Red Frog. During a break while at Oceans Plaza, we had a conversation with one of the band and asked about someone we knew who was on the ship in August and whether she was still on. She said no, we talked for a bit and then after an hour or so headed back to the cabin.

Before I leave the first afternoon and evening from our cruise, I wanted to mention a couple of things. The first is in regards to American Table and the Sunshine. As most of you know, the Sunshine will be moving to American Table with the 3/5/16 sailing.

My thoughts on American Table are it is time for something new. We don't really care whether there is a table cloth or not, or a carafe of water or a bowl of bread on the table. In fact, those things just make it easier for everyone (IMHO), I do realize not all of you feel the same way though.

The point of bringing it up is that having been on the Breeze after they had switched and it did have an impact on the staff adjusting to it. My words of advice are be calm and enjoy.:)

The Sunshine is unique in that the rear dining room (Sunrise) is used for YTD and the other dining room (Sunset, and one level) is just assigned seating. What once was the second floor on the Sunset dining room (it used to called something else) is not an area where the Steakhouse, Piano Bar and Library bar are located. I say unique, but I think the Vista will be the same way. We usually prefer the aft dining room but it certainly was not a big deal. We had a center table (the wife really loves to be in the center for entertainment value) and all was well. We met our wait staff and had a good meal. I ended up buying the top wine package, and noticed how attentive the bar waiter was immediately.

When we were on the Sunshine in Nov/Dec for the journey cruises, the lower deck of the Sunrise was YTD and the upper level was assigned dining. Maybe it depends on the requests how the decks are used?

We have found that to be on other ships too. Sometimes one level is YTD and the other level is assigned dining. We have also been on a ship where YTD was so popular that both levels were YTD.

When we were on the Sunshine in Nov/Dec for the journey cruises, the lower deck of the Sunrise was YTD and the upper level was assigned dining. Maybe it depends on the requests how the decks are used?

We have found that to be on other ships too. Sometimes one level is YTD and the other level is assigned dining. We have also been on a ship where YTD was so popular that both levels were YTD.

I agree about the decks. I think my point was (and it is small one at best) is that the middle dining room was used for assigned and aft for both. I get how that it has to be be that way (the mid dining is only one floor) just struck me kind of weird in that we were so used to aft and two times getting mid. Again, a trivial point. I do think the multiple decks make it easier (to your point).

I saw John H post that while being on the west coast and the Imagination today how YTD flip flopped from his last cruise. I am sure there are a bunch of criteria which affect this (length of cruise, itinerary, etc.).