Sunshine (revisited) 02/13/16 Exotic Carib review

jimbo5544

After the show, we headed back to Ocean's Plaza. The entertainment here is a 5 piece band. Every night they did a different genre of songs, that ranged from the 60's, 70's, 80's, rock and country and even some more classic types.

Our experience with this entertainment is that it is enjoyable, with vocals ranging from good to very good and the same could be said for band members. The female lead (whom we had a conversation with the evening before) is from Britain and filling in for the regular female singer for two cruises. We found the band members to be friendly and openly looked for conversation during their breaks. The lead guitarist was exceptional, and his talent was very evident from the first song we had heard the night before. He would show his talents off much more so in the next couple of days.

Edited by jimbo5544

Around 11 I started yawning and we decided to head up to our cabin. On the way up we swung by the dive in movie. 20 years ago (I was 21 back then ;)) when we started cruising, the idea of an outside movie screen and a hundred or more people in lounge chairs watching the movie would have been much closer to Star Wars than a cruise ship.

Seeing the amount of people watching a big screen movie still makes me scratch my head in wonder. In lounge chairs, sitting at the two bars, on the different levels and even in the jacuzzi's is a sight to see.

We also found our invitation to the diamond event the next evening. For those who do not know, the Captain hosts an event for Diamond guests. It could be a cocktail hour, luncheon or tea on bridge. This one was a hosted cocktail party the next evening in the Piano bar.

n5ri9y.jpg

Monday February 15

We awoke and made our normal trip to the gym and then after changing headed to the Havana area for breakfast. We had decided to spend the morning in Serenity and then spend the afternoon with the grand kids in the water park area. I did not take pictures this trip from serenity but wanted to show what it is like here are some pictures we took from previous visits to the Sunshine. This was when she was in New Orleans for the naming ceremony we were invited to.

1075sig.jpg

Hi Jim...thanks for the detailed review. Was wondering if you could briefly say what the pros and cons were on Sunshine. We are on the June sailing... thanks

Sure I would be happy to. In order to really appreciate the Sunshine, you need to know from where she came. Once she was the Destiny, the grand dame for Carnival and a certain point in time the largest cruise ship afloat (first to break 100,000 tons). As bigger, better, newer ships came along she more or less became used for doing 3 and 4 day cruises out of Miami. Someone had the idea to retrofit her and she went over to Italy where they spent 150 million to take off the top are of the ship and convert this and other area into something different (hence the name change). Without going into great detail, the add two floors or rooms forward on top and one forward on 3 (converted from the 1st floor of the main lounge, added serenity and waterworks and added the Havana area aft on nine. They also made change taking a floor of the mid dining room and adding in its place the Steakhouse, piano bar (it actually moved) and library bar

The point of the history lesson is this plays into what the Sunshine is (and in part, the best and worst of her).

Pros: Havana area, waterworks, Serenity, Steakhouse, Oceans Plaza, ed Frog.

Cons: There are more people on the ship, the main show room (multi purpose) is really smaller than it should be and the night club in the aft on 4 where they have the comedians is def to small.

All that being said, do I think the Sunshine is worth sailing, a big yes.

What you can't do is flip flop between the two of them (assigned and YTD). You have to pick one. Strict as in what sense, are you referring to?

/quote]

I believe I was referring to whether you have to report to MDR for dinner or whether you can decide to dine elsewhere being you're part of a group. i.e., I'm not a pack animal so I'm inclined to wander off and do what I choose at times. Although I enjoy the family immensely, I'm not averse to making friends and doing my own thing once in a while and if that were to include dinner plans, would I be tied into the MDR with the rest of my group, or do I have the flexibility of going and eating wherever I want?

What you can't do is flip flop between the two of them (assigned and YTD). You have to pick one. Strict as in what sense, are you referring to?

/quote]

I believe I was referring to whether you have to report to MDR for dinner or whether you can decide to dine elsewhere being you're part of a group. i.e., I'm not a pack animal so I'm inclined to wander off and do what I choose at times. Although I enjoy the family immensely, I'm not averse to making friends and doing my own thing once in a while and if that were to include dinner plans, would I be tied into the MDR with the rest of my group, or do I have the flexibility of going and eating wherever I want?

You can do whatever you want. With YTD it is totally flexible. If you are assigned dining, and you know the next night that you are going to go to Cucina del Capitano, it is polite to let your head waiter know, but no requirement at all. If you choose to just not go to dinner and later hit lido, or pizza or nothing and room service later it's all ok.

Sure I would be happy to. In order to really appreciate the Sunshine, you need to know from where she came. Once she was the Destiny, the grand dame for Carnival and a certain point in time the largest cruise ship afloat (first to break 100,000 tons). As bigger, better, newer ships came along she more or less became used for doing 3 and 4 day cruises out of Miami. Someone had the idea to retrofit her and she went over to Italy where they spent 150 million to take off the top are of the ship and convert this and other area into something different (hence the name change). Without going into great detail, the add two floors or rooms forward on top and one forward on 3 (converted from the 1st floor of the main lounge, added serenity and waterworks and added the Havana area aft on nine. They also made change taking a floor of the mid dining room and adding in its place the Steakhouse, piano bar (it actually moved) and library bar

The point of the history lesson is this plays into what the Sunshine is (and in part, the best and worst of her).

Cons: There are more people on the ship, the main show room (multi purpose) is really smaller than it should be and the night club in the aft on 4 where they have the comedians is def to small.

I read on another thread, and it may have been mentioned here (I can't remember), they are going to make the comedy room bigger and make some other adjustments, for the better, as well. Did they mention anything while you were on board? I'm curious to see what changes I can expect to see.

Here are some pics from the ropes course, this is my grand daughter who toughed it out all the way through.

6iczeu.jpg

There's a rope course!!! Holy cow, I have to tell my kids! I love your pics...please keep them coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a rope course!!! Holy cow, I have to tell my kids! I love your pics...please keep them coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She was scared, but would not give in. I was very proud of her for doing the whole thing.

OK, on to a sad subject..... mid afternoon on this day at sea, there was a distress call made over the intercom for assistance near Guys Burger Bar. In the past when things like this have happened on a cruise ship there is usually a code name associated with it. This was not the case here. Later we heard "thru the grapevine" that an older woman has aspirated on some food.

Later that day the captain came on and said we would be delayed into St. Maarten by a few hours because the person was going to be taken off the ship in San Juan (an unscheduled stop). Very sad,:( and while I heard several rumors afterwards, I won't comment as I do not really know what happened.

Thanks a lot Jim.... appreciate it