Questions re boarding time/Seattle/Explorer

JMHDisney

We are booked on the Explorer out of Seattle. The departure time listed is 6pm. We have only ever cruised Disney before and departure time would be 4pm but we were onboard at 12pm. Is RCCL similar? I'm not in any hurry to get on board - I'm actually hoping to have my son go to school that day since we live 10 minutes from the port - when should we plan that we need to be on board? If we do decide to board earlier, when are rooms typically available?

Also does anyone have any tips for the port in Seattle? I was planning to drive and park onsite but it looks like a shuttle from parking to the ship and that seems like a major hassle with luggage both before and after (I'm the only adult so can't leave someone with luggage on debarkation while I go get car). If we drive, how much time should we plan on for getting parked and shuttle before we need to check in?

Finally, I've heard there are no advance reservations for shows on Explorer. How far in advance would we typically need to show up?

Thank you!!

We are booked on the Explorer out of Seattle. The departure time listed is 6pm. We have only ever cruised Disney before and departure time would be 4pm but we were onboard at 12pm. Is RCCL similar? I'm not in any hurry to get on board - I'm actually hoping to have my son go to school that day since we live 10 minutes from the port - when should we plan that we need to be on board? If we do decide to board earlier, when are rooms typically available?

Also does anyone have any tips for the port in Seattle? I was planning to drive and park onsite but it looks like a shuttle from parking to the ship and that seems like a major hassle with luggage both before and after (I'm the only adult so can't leave someone with luggage on debarkation while I go get car). If we drive, how much time should we plan on for getting parked and shuttle before we need to check in?

Finally, I've heard there are no advance reservations for shows on Explorer. How far in advance would we typically need to show up?

Thank you!!

Royal typically starts boarding around 11:30am. Rooms will open around 1pm, some ships a bit later.

With regard to parking, as I recall it was obscene in Seattle. Double check, but I think it was something like $26 per day, plus ungodly taxes, so over $180 for the week to park.

There must be a less expensive option. You might want to check the West Coast Departures forum for ideas on parking or shuttles:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

• 4 weeks later...
$180 for the week seems crazy - I will definitely need to look into other options - thanks for all the info!

We are driving from Vancouver, I just booked the pier parking for this cruise total $84 all taxes included! However it states last parking lot shuttle leaves at 2:45pm not sure if that works for you.

We are driving from Vancouver, I just booked the pier parking for this cruise total $84 all taxes included! However it states last parking lot shuttle leaves at 2:45pm not sure if that works for you.

Where did you find that deal? We are doing a B2B on Sep 23.

Edited by steveandjen

Where did you find that deal? We are doing a B2B on Sep 23.

Holy crap... we do not normally do the whole meet & mingle thing but your pretty famous on these boards and it would be cool to meet you.

Holy crap... we do not normally do the whole meet & mingle thing but your pretty famous on these boards and it would be cool to meet you.

Why, thank you. I would like to meet you, too. :D

Lots of interesting people on both legs.

JOIN US!

Are you on the 4 day sailing?

It is SPECULATED it may have delayed boarding due to it being the first sailing after the 26 day transpacific and more than likely will have a full USCG inspection and maybe Public health as it will have been out of the USA for over a year.

Are you on the 4 day sailing?

It is SPECULATED it may have delayed boarding due to it being the first sailing after the 26 day transpacific and more than likely will have a full USCG inspection and maybe Public health as it will have been out of the USA for over a year.

Plus every crewmember has to see government agents, and that consumes the agents and makes things go slower.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For all those looking for parking options.....DO NOT TAKE Merion_Mom advice to go over and looks at their roll call board. You will shuffle through 27 pages of absolutely nothing if you are not staying in a hotel the night before your cruise. It would have taken just as much time to answer the question then to give you useless advice. YES, some hotels offer parking (usually at a cost) as long as you stay the night before but if you add that fee plus the parking fee at the hotel, you are better off parking right at Pier 91. There was ONE mention of a hotel near the airport....comport inn that offers free parking. But again, you must stay at the hotel and it is by the airport. Quite a distance from the pier and NO, they do not offer a free shuttle to the pier. So once again, cheaper to park at the pier. As for the shuttle once at the pier. It may sound like a hassle but it is not. The lot is literally next to the ship but they don't want you walking because there is soooo much traffic trying to drive up to the dock. So for you safety, they provide a shuttle. They come right to you, they will load your luggage on a rack if you need help and drop you right where you need to board. Not a hassle at all. In fact, with children in tote.....you might find it a lifesaver because they will handle all your luggage. :) Finally, reservations are not required but I will say, although the lot is large, it does sell out. I have been there many times to see them turn people away because the empty spots seen are actually held for people that reserved and have not shown up yet. Hope all this helps and you didn't have to sift through 27 pages to find it out.

We are booked on the Explorer out of Seattle. The departure time listed is 6pm. I'm not in any hurry to get on board - I'm actually hoping to have my son go to school that day since we live 10 minutes from the port - when should we plan that we need to be on board? If we do decide to board earlier, when are rooms typically available?

Like someone has previously stated, the time the rooms typically open up is around 1PM, sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later. While I understand you are in no rush to get on board, I'll say this. The amount you paid for the cruise is the same whether you board at 11am or 5pm, so you might as well get the most out of your cruise fare. Our very first cruise 12 years ago, we noted that the ship left at 5pm, so we got there at 3pm, and by then majority of the passengers have already started their vacation, so you might as be one of them. Plus, whats one day of school in the grand scheme of things? Excited to see you on board! I'm excited for this cruise as I graduate college two days before!

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked on the Explorer out of Seattle. when should we plan that we need to be on board? If we do decide to board earlier, when are rooms typically available?

Rooms available by 1pm usually on RCL. I wouldn't want to be on board anytime after 3pm... after all it's your first day of your 7 day cruise and you've wasted half of it getting there mid-day! :)

You can drive your car around the port entrance and drop off luggage/passengers right in front of the pier and porters. But getting the car back to the lot is a real problem as the roadway are a nightmare I find around there. You might have to double back somehow onto the Magnolia bridge and back around again into the car lot on the other side of the highway. You must take a shuttle (no walking I believe), even from the closest parking lot. It's not a big deal really as there will be many other passengers with their luggage at the parking lot getting on the shuttles with you. I'm thinking just getting to the parking lot is easiest and then just taking the shuttle all together.

I suspect that the showtime set up for the early dining (ie. the show that starts at 8 or 8:30pm) will be the busiest for Alaskan itineraries.

Theatre: If you wish to sit up front and/or the better central seats I would say 20-30 minutes early, however if you're not picky and can sit to the sides you can show up within 5 minutes.

Ice Show: Different story.. You'll likely have to get tickets on board when announced. They'll likely let you know and it will be on the compass that you need to pick up advance tickets at a specific location. For that show, if you want dead center and better seating you do have to be there rather early.

Anyone else have good advice re shows to add here??

Plus every crewmember has to see government agents, and that consumes the agents and makes things go slower.

This MAY.. again MAY have been done in Hawaii??

I'm surprised they haven't called and said there will be delayed embarkation yet. (Considering we don't leave until 6pm)

This MAY.. again MAY have been done in Hawaii??

I'm surprised they haven't called and said there will be delayed embarkation yet. (Considering we don't leave until 6pm)

They went through customs in Hawaii hopefully there will not be any delays.