help with customs in vancouver

creel5857

been a while since been through customs ......what do I need to be prepared for when I arrive from ship to airport in Vancouver International airport....I wont have access to computers to print boarding passes etc.....from point that taxi or HAL drops me off at front of airport what do we do

thanks

This is how it works.

After arrival to the airport, you check in and take your luggage, boarding pass and immigration card through to the US Customs Hall. After that, you go through security and find the conveyor belt to deposit your checked luggage.

Keith

This is how it works.

After arrival to the airport, you check in and take your luggage, boarding pass and immigration card through to the US Customs Hall. After that, you go through security and find the conveyor belt to deposit your checked luggage.

Keith

If you are checking your bags . You won't have to carry bags thru the US Customs or airport security .Us customs doesn't require the form filled our anymore.

Some of the information above is not correct. When you disembark from the ship you will collect your bags and go through Canadian customs and immigration at the port, unless you are in one of the direct ship to airport programs. I'm not sure how these work these days.

I am sure about the airport end, however. If you have access to a compuetr on the ship you can check in up to 24 hours in advance. You do not have to print the boarding passes, but you should if you have a printer available. Otherwise you can print them from a kiosk at the airport or get them printed when you check your bags. When you check in at the airport you will drop your bags immediately afterwards. The bag drop is just behind the US departures check-in counters. You will then proceed through security, then US customs and immigration. It is correct that the blue immigration cards are no longer used.

It can be very busy on cruise ship days, so be early.

Edited by Sopwith

thanks for comments and updates.....been a few years and just a little anxious about details since I know cruise day is bad at airports......in and out US airports is not stressful but the added details of vancouver airport had me thinking about things

Also depends on how many cruise ships are in port.

Indeed, the Canada Place terminal can be a zoo if there are three large ships in port.

This port schedule is subject to change, of course, but it may be of help.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Copy-of-Draft-2016-Schedule-Oct-26-PMV-website-VB-EDITS.pdf

Some of the information above is not correct. When you disembark from the ship you will collect your bags and go through Canadian customs and immigration at the port, unless you are in one of the direct ship to airport programs. I'm not sure how these work these days.

I am sure about the airport end, however. If you have access to a compuetr on the ship you can check in up to 24 hours in advance. You do not have to print the boarding passes, but you should if you have a printer available. Otherwise you can print them from a kiosk at the airport or get them printed when you check your bags. When you check in at the airport you will drop your bags immediately afterwards. The bag drop is just behind the US departures check-in counters. You will then proceed through security, then US customs and immigration. It is correct that the blue immigration cards are no longer used.

It can be very busy on cruise ship days, so be early.

Most cruise lines that use Canada Place have stopped using that option "Direct to the USA". Canada Place can only hold three ships at a time.

Most cruise lines that use Canada Place have stopped using that option "Direct to the USA". Canada Place can only hold three ships at a time.

There are often more than 3 ships in at a time. I know, because I worked next door to the terminal. Some years ago it was extended. It's not unusual to see 5 ships if one or two are the smaller ones, like the Volendam. As to the "Direct to the USA" option - I have absolutely no idea about that.:o

There are often more than 3 ships in at a time. I know, because I worked next door to the terminal. Some years ago it was extended. It's not unusual to see 5 ships if one or two are the smaller ones, like the Volendam. As to the "Direct to the USA" option - I have absolutely no idea about that.:o

If you look at the Canada Place online schedule. They only show three berths at Canada Place . That doesn't mean at off season more than three can be berthed. Here is the link to the 2016 schedule showing only three berths available.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Copy-of-Draft-2016-Schedule-Oct-26-PMV-website-VB-EDITS.pdf

Edited by Kamloops50

Canada Place can only hold three ships at a time.

There are often more than 3 ships in at a time. I know, because I worked next door to the terminal.

There are three berths at Canada Place. The east berth is quite long, and occasionally they will put two small to medium sized ships there.

There are three berths at Canada Place. The east berth is quite long, and occasionally they will put two small to medium sized ships there.

One Sunday in 2014 they had 2 ships plus a Silver something (small) at the end of the north berth. RCI and another small one crowded the other side. The RCI ships used to block my view from the office. And at times there are 2 at Ballyntine but it wasn't used last year, to my knowledge.

The beginning and end of the Alaska season usually sees too many ships in port at one time.

I wont have access to computers to print boarding passes etc.....from point that taxi or HAL drops me off at front of airport what do we do
Try to avoid printing the day before debarkation.... on my latest cruise... the internet went down on the final night.

People also have a tendency to binge on the internet on the final evening. The internet is very slow during this high demand period.

I guess ships have gotten longer..... I remember before the 2001 extension, Canada Place could hold 5 ships.... with the extension. I expected at least 2 more.

With ships now longer, it appears they now count 2 berths as one..... thus the 3 berth terminal and not a 6 berth.