Canceling..what happens to expired cruise reward?

Clay Clayton

DH and I are booking a cruise on Gem using a soon to expire cruise reward that Norwegian has agreed to extend so it covers the cruise. If a rumored Sun cruise to Bora Bora happens then we are likely to cancel Gem and do Sun instead. Here is my question, since the reward expiration date will have passed, do you think Norwegian will let the same reward be used for Sun? Or will we loose its value? If that is the case then I'd just as soon sell or give it away so someone gets value from my money.

So if you've experienced something similar, would love to hear how Norwegian handled it.

TIA!

Edited by Clay Clayton

I booked a cruise on BA using a FCC on 2/14 for the 2/28 sailing. I came down with the flu on 2/24 and canceled. The FCC was forfeited...not available for future use.

That has nothing to do with OP's question - you were already inside cancellation penalty period and because of that the FCR was not refunded. Normally if one cancels outside cancellation penalty period, the FCR is returned to the account.

Don't know how expired FCRs are handled though, one probably should contact NCL to find out.

That has nothing to do with OP's question - you were already inside cancellation penalty period and because of that the FCR was not refunded. Normally if one cancels outside cancellation penalty period, the FCR is returned to the account.

Don't know how expired FCRs are handled though, one probably should contact NCL to find out.

I would but since they are already extending it to last til next summer, afraid to ask them for too much...figured someone on here might have the answer.

I would but since they are already extending it to last til next summer, afraid to ask them for too much...figured someone on here might have the answer.

The extension is something they are currently offering to everybody.

"Expired Cruise Rewards

Cruise Rewards that have expired can be applied to a new booking. This is a limited time offer valid for sailings 7 days or longer booked before February 29th 2016."

https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext

I'd still suggest calling them, many here have said that the department is pretty flexible in order to get you to spend more money while taking the cruise instead of making you to lose the FCR and not taking the cruise.

Edited by Demonyte

We had kind of a similar situation where we booked a cruise using a Cruise Reward certificate which was about to expire, but then opted to take another cruise instead, after the Cruise Reward's expiration date.

Instead of cancelling the booked cruise and booking the new one, I called and asked to change the date and ship on the existing reservation ID. That way we not only kept the perks for the original reservation, but the deposit, for which we had used the Cruise Reward, was carried over, because there was no actual cancellation/rebooking, just a booking change.

We did this change AFTER the Cruise Reward was supposed to have expired.

Be aware though that I'm not sure if being able to do this was normal procedure or we lucked out in getting this done. Because if you think about it, using this method you could endlessly extend your Cruise Reward by pushing back your reservation in the future :)

My son had a future cruise deposit that expired, and he received an email stating he could use it by Feb 29 or transfer it to someone else. That sounded great, so he tried to transfer it to DW and I to use on a cruise in January on the Jewel. Stephen Stitt of the Mesa Arizona office refused to allow him to transfer it stating he misunderstood the email. I attempted to talk to Stitt about it, and he wouldn't talk to me but had one of his staff send an email repeating the same thing.

A few days after we went ahead and booked without the FCC, he received another email stating he could use it by Feb 29, but the offer to transfer it was not in the second email.

Needless to say, this did not set well with any of us, and since my son cannot take the time off from work, the offer will be no good to him.

Below is the wording from the original offerfrom NCL

Norwegian Cruise Line <NorwegianCruiseLine@email.ncl.com&... [Add to Address Book]

To: gladston81@earthlink.net

Subject: Your $250 Deposit Waits For You.

Date: Dec 18, 2015 4:45 PM

For A Limited Time Only, We Are Reactivating Your Cruise Reward Deposit. View in Browser

Call Us Now To Book Your Cruise

1-800-327-7030

Cruise Rewards that have expired can be applied to a booking or transferred to someone else; recipient also has to book a cruise before 02/29/16. This is a limited time offer valid for sailings 6 days or longer booked before F

Edited by swedish weave

Needless to say, this did not set well with any of us, and since my son cannot take the time off from work, the offer will be no good to him.

It's book by February 29, not sail by, in case that makes any difference for your son. It does sound like they should have let him transfer the deposit to you, but it sounds like this is the main guy working at the CruiseNext office, so if he says no, what can you do?

It's book by February 29, not sail by, in case that makes any difference for your son. It does sound like they should have let him transfer the deposit to you, but it sounds like this is the main guy working at the CruiseNext office, so if he says no, what can you do?

What can I do ??

I can take my business to a cruise line that respects their guests and are truthful in their offers and ads.

I have booked a cruise on Carnival 1/31 which was very enjoyable and another on Princess 3/14, and am looking at another Princess in April. This is after nearly 50 cruises on NCL.

I find the recent management change at NCL to be adverse to my standards. I am now looking at the other lines as my first choices.

Below is the response I received after asking to discuss this with Mr Stitt.

Good afternoon, Mr. Flynn-

My manager Mr. Stitt, head of the CruiseNext department asked me to contact you to clarify the terms of the email your son received. If you click on the email for more information, then scroll to the bottom of that page you will find the terms of this particular promotion. This promotion is not, in actuality, a Cruise Reward deposit in the traditional sense. It is a $250 discount on a cruise that is attached to your son’s latitude number and therefore cannot be transferred to another guest.

However, If your son has an unexpired Cruise Reward or CruiseNext deposit he would like to transfer to you instead, he can certainly do that. He would just need to contact us to get that completed.

Thank you,

Susanne Campbell-Vincent | CruiseNext Coordinator

Edited by swedish weave

I booked a cruise on BA using a FCC on 2/14 for the 2/28 sailing. I came down with the flu on 2/24 and canceled. The FCC was forfeited...not available for future use.

Your FCC was forfeited because you cancelled last minute but I guess you wanted as many people to see your tale of woe, in case they skipped over your thread. Your issue is not the same as this OP's.

OP, I would give a call to your PCC, he may be willing to move the FCC for you. when you make the switch ask them to keep your original reservation number and you should be fine.

Hi Swedish Weave....

I am not sure if you noticed but your son's email is on a public forum..... I would go back and edit or have the post removed before he starts getting inundated with spam and stuff. Most people on CC will not even think about it but......

In reading Suzanne's response, it does seem that your son received a different promotion than the FCC.... I do a great deal of travel for my work and I am a member of several frequent traveler programs. At times, I may receive a certificate for a future stay that is completely transferrable but at other times, they will credit my account enough for a discount or free visit that is specific to me (my account). The latter seems to be what your son received so it would not be transferable. Perhaps he had a bad experience on a previous cruise and this "credit" was a goodwill gesture by NCL or there was a Lattitude bonus that he was awarded, etc.

I do not mean to be harsh, I agree that you may take your business elsewhere and completely within your right but a good chunk of this falls on your son for not understanding the T&Cs of what he received or purchased.

Scott

Edited by esm54687

My PCC was unable to completely guarantee what would happen IF we end up canceling the Gem cruise...but I got the feeling that he believed if we were asking to transfer it to another cruise simultaneously with the cancelation that it would likely be do-able....so we are booked! Now have to keep my fingers crossed that the Sun cruise is announced AND we have the $$ to do both:eek::D

Thanks to all for their advice!

Hi Swedish Weave....

I am not sure if you noticed but your son's email is on a public forum..... I would go back and edit or have the post removed before he starts getting inundated with spam and stuff. Most people on CC will not even think about it but......

In reading Suzanne's response, it does seem that your son received a different promotion than the FCC.... I do a great deal of travel for my work and I am a member of several frequent traveler programs. At times, I may receive a certificate for a future stay that is completely transferrable but at other times, they will credit my account enough for a discount or free visit that is specific to me (my account). The latter seems to be what your son received so it would not be transferable. Perhaps he had a bad experience on a previous cruise and this "credit" was a goodwill gesture by NCL or there was a Lattitude bonus that he was awarded, etc.

I do not mean to be harsh, I agree that you may take your business elsewhere and completely within your right but a good chunk of this falls on your son for not understanding the T&Cs of what he received or purchased.

Scott

My son is totally aware that he let the FCC expire and didn't have a problem with it until he got the email from NCL offering to reinstate it. The sad part is that NCL refused to honor the terms of their email. That is a slap in the face and is indicative of the way NCL has decided to conduct their business since the new management team took over.

We have email filters to eliminate the junk mail, so that is not a problem either.

Bottom line is that NCL has no respect for their customers anymore, and I have lost all respect for them as a result of their recent actions.