Foster's Included in Package?

I am convinced that Fosters is a obtained from camels. It would explain the taste.:p

Here's your proof.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/575/918/

EDIT**

Oooh, a highlight..........

Appearance : Pours a pale straw color into a tumbler, 90% opacity, and a towering head that quickly recedes to a small ring. Lacing surprisingly is left in vertical streaks on the sides of the tumbler glass. Not a shabby display.

Smell : I'm using my hand as a desperate attempt to waft a smell whatsoever up to my olfactory. It's very hard to detect what's going on here. Some straw, corn, maybe a little bit of flower...that's it. It's a very weak nose - this beer is not meant to be smelled.

Taste : Stale grain and sweat sock flavors out front, this seems more like a punishment than an indulgence. Some faint pasty hop bite comes eventually, and it leaves off with a faint malt note. This is honestly one of the most terrible beers I've ever tasted.

Feel : Busy carbonation out front, with a light champagne-like quality (High Life, anyone?), and it ends semi-dry and otherwise unremarkable. I'm getting a sticky film on my teeth from the sweetness of the corn.

Overall : This beer reminds me of all the bottom shelf 40 oz malt liquor beers I've had. It's pretty awful, has no real balance, no good flavors, and hides itself behind carbonation. If there was no carbonation in this beer, or even reduced carbonation, it would taste like unsweetened corn syrup blended with sweat sock and grass clippings. It's truly one of the worst beers I've ever had.

EDIT** Found another beauty..............

Fosters. Because... why not?! It's Australian for bored. Saw the oil can at the local Publix and couldn't help but remember how I used to think this was a premium beer. LOL. Pours from the obnoxiously large can in to a Modelo pint glass with gusto. The massive, loose head of fizzy, white crackling suds is as big as the can. It rests atop a pale, yellow lager with copious amounts of bubbles hugging the glass, before disappearing in record time. What's left is an uninspired pint of pale, lifeless liquid. About as transparent as a beer can be. A slightly sulfurous smell melds with metallic accents and a subtle, sour, floral hop note. In a nutshell, cheap lager. The taste is dominated by malty corn sweetness, with scant balancing bitterness. But not a sugary sweetness. Like chewing on unpopped popcorn kernels with a hint of aspartame. The finish is relatively crisp and clean, with little residual flavor. Surprisingly mild carbonation, with a smooth, slick, and easy mouthfeel. I could easily shotgun this entire oil can with little effort. Almost like beer-flavored water. Overall, aside from the unappealing aroma this is your typical pale, fizzy, swill. From time to time, it's just the right change of pace. Surprised I said that? It's an adjunct lager. For the style it's not half bad. If I was self-medicating I'd probably choose a beer like this.

Edited by squiffynimrod

If you have not seen it you may get a laugh out of /The Adventures of Barry McKenzie which was a satire of Australian culture back in the 60's/70's, a bit like Trump is for you guys today.

I preferred the original comic strip on which the movie was based.

Looks funny, might have to get that one. Thanks.

It's the Dinky Di tale of a True Blue boy.

Maybe introduced the world to (dare I say it) Foster's

Barry Humphries picked Fosters as it was a little known Melbourne beer at the time. He wanted it to be obscure and hence the need for Bazza to smuggle it into the UK. He probably kick started the popularity of Fosters. He said that Carlton & United Breweries had not even said thank you, much less paid him some sort of a fee. He was a drinker back then. . In a recent interview it came up that he used to be an alcoholic. His answer was "I am still an alcoholic even though I have not had a drink in over forty years"

Barry Humphries picked Fosters as it was a little known Melbourne beer at the time. He wanted it to be obscure and hence the need for Bazza to smuggle it into the UK. He probably kick started the popularity of Fosters. He said that Carlton & United Breweries had not even said thank you, much less paid him some sort of a fee. He was a drinker back then. . In a recent interview it came up that he used to be an alcoholic. His answer was "I am still an alcoholic even though I have not had a drink in over forty years"

Also introduced his Aunt Edna to the Universe.

Looks funny, might have to get that one. Thanks.

I found the Trailer for the filum

[YOUTUBE]D4sjyrmSXOw[/YOUTUBE]

It's one of those movies that is so bad it's good. Very popular at the time but slammed by the critics. Almost ruined the career of Bruce Beresford abd tainted Barry Crocker for many years.

Many of the expressions were made up by Barry Humphries but went on into common usage. Classics such as;

• Pointing Percy at the Porcelein
  • Shaking hands with the wife's best friend
  • Drilling for Vegemite
  • Spearing the Bearded Clam
  • Dry as a dead dingo's donger
  • A thirst you could photograph
  • Technicolour Yawn
  • Shouting into the big white telephone
  • Munching the Kapok
  • Chunder

Some made up other just revived.

Must have a look at it again. :D

I found the Trailer for the filum

[YOUTUBE]D4sjyrmSXOw[/YOUTUBE]

It's one of those movies that is so bad it's good. Very popular at the time but slammed by the critics. Almost ruined the career of Bruce Beresford abd tainted Barry Crocker for many years.

Many of the expressions were made up by Barry Humphries but went on into common usage. Classics such as;

• Pointing Percy at the Porcelein
  • Shaking hands with the wife's best friend
  • Drilling for Vegemite
  • Spearing the Bearded Clam
  • Dry as a dead dingo's donger
  • A thirst you could photograph
  • Technicolour Yawn
  • Shouting into the big white telephone
  • Munching the Kapok
  • Chunder

Some made up other just revived.

Must have a look at it again. :D

Some of those were in general use at the time.

In some areas anyway.

• 5 months later...

In my (not so humble :-) ) opinion it's not great, but it still beats the likes of Bud, Corrs etc. by a long shot - plus, I like the size!! 16oz is for sissies :-)

Honestly, it's very drinkable when it's cold and you're having it on a cruise ship. I hope they have it on the Adventure when I go in September!

I am convinced that Fosters is a obtained from camels. It would explain the taste.:p

Not sure even that would explain it. Might be hippopotamus.

Dad was a carrier, spent over 50 years caring beer, I think on average out if about 8 ton of beer on each load 5-8 loads a week, there might have been 4 or 5 cartons of Fosters each week.

Don't know anyone who drinks it.

Thank goodness for all the foreigners that drink Foster's don't know many Aussies that drink it.:eek:

It was massive here in the UK early to mid nineties (when Neighbours was popular :)) along with Castlemaine XXXX, its popularity has tailed off however and you rarely see Castlemaine anymore.

Ships sailing from Southampton the 'Oil Can' has had the asterix next to it excluding it from packages so never seen many drinking it.

It was massive here in the UK early to mid nineties (when Neighbours was popular :)) along with Castlemaine XXXX, its popularity has tailed off however and you rarely see Castlemaine anymore.

Ships sailing from Southampton the 'Oil Can' has had the asterix next to it excluding it from packages so never seen many drinking it.

XXXX is still pretty popular in Qld, because they can't spell beer.

If you think Foster's is really THAT bad, you've obviously never had Bud (Light), Corrs (Light), Millers etc.

I'd much rather pay $8 for 24oz of Fosters than $6.25 for 12 or 16oz of that stuff. At least it has SOME flavour!! Would I prefer Weihenstephaner or Ayinger or something like that? Sure, but beggars can't be choosers and I have every intention of enjoying a few cans of Foster's on the ship.

Can anyone tell me why they are called "oil" cans??

Can anyone tell me why they are called "oil" cans??

I should be working :) but had to google it and found this -

In 1972, by a partnership between Foster's Australia and Miller Brewing Company, the 25.4oz Foster's Can arrived in the US. The steel can looked so much like an oil can, Americans gave it the nickname Foster's Oil Can, the name has stuck with it for more than 30 years.

Haha thanks for doing that - I always find googling stuff more fun than working LOL. I had an inkling it would be something like this! in a similar vein, Americans always calls Pimm's "Pimm's Cup". I don't even try to explain that the drink itself is just called Pimm's (choose your battles :-) )

Only benefit of the Oil can is the size!! It's like making love in a canoe .... (you'll need to Google the punchline if you don't know it ;) )

Plenty of 'decent' beers on the packages - Peroni, Stella, Becks, Blue Moon etc.

Plus some good 'proper' beers like London Pride and Old Speckled Hen - just make sure you get a room temperature one, not a chilled bottle. These are 500 ml as well, so better than 330 ml bottles of lager!

Well I think our definition of "decent" isn't quite the same - Blue Moon, really? Blah...and what's so special about Stella?

Anyway, I'm not getting the drinks package, that's why I like the Foster's cans

:D NP

Horses for courses!!:)

I guess the world would be boring if we all liked the same things!! I did try the Coors (silver bullet?) tin - thought it was awful but that and Bud seemed very popular with UK drinkers??? :)

:D NP

Horses for courses!!:)

I guess the world would be boring if we all liked the same things!! I did try the Coors (silver bullet?) tin - thought it was awful but that and Bud seemed very popular with UK drinkers??? :)

I'm a bit 'when in Rome' also and tend to drink the American brands on Royal. I'm rather partial to the odd Michelob or two.

But strangely I only ever drink the British classic gin and tonic when on a Royal cruise :)