Amsterdam in July?

phxbne

Hi

We have one Sunday in Amsterdam in July, as our cruise begins. We have been there before and know it is easy to do 'on your own.' I had planned Anne Frank, canal cruise and either Rembrandt or Van Gogh Museum.

But based on my reading I am a bit un-nerved about crowds at Anne Frank Haus and the Van Gogh museum......

Can anyone advise on paying just to get front of line access? Or doing a cruise excursion just so we can get more done? That is of course assuming I miss the window to get Anne Frank tickets online.

Michele

I'd first book the online tickets to AFH, then look at the other two, I suppose you mean Rembrandt Huis and not the Rijksmuseum. An evening canal cruise would be good, say around 6.30-7ish, that way you'll see a bit of the illumination too.

As for crowds we were in Amsterdam June 1st week and then again August 1st week. We visited the Van Gogh museum both times, but in August it was so crowded we could barely stop to take in our fav paintings, we were so happy we had a much more leisurely tour the previous time. I believe slots first thing in the morning or late afternoon are better, we were there around midday. The Rijks was much less crowded in August though.

If you visit Rembrandhuis please do make time for the free demonstration on the artist's etching process, extremely interesting. This is held several times during the day, we just managed to make the last one which was at around 4.30pm I believe, you may want to check their website for timings.

Hi

We have one Sunday in Amsterdam in July, as our cruise begins. We have been there before and know it is easy to do 'on your own.' I had planned Anne Frank, canal cruise and either Rembrandt or Van Gogh Museum.

But based on my reading I am a bit un-nerved about crowds at Anne Frank Haus and the Van Gogh museum......

Can anyone advise on paying just to get front of line access? Or doing a cruise excursion just so we can get more done? That is of course assuming I miss the window to get Anne Frank tickets online.

Michele

A tip that was posted on Trip Advisor for the Van Gogh :

Buy tickets from the museum ticket booth by the

I AMSTERDAM sign (right by the Rijksmuseum) and the sculptures of painted bunnies. This will save you a lot of waiting time! You can buy timed tickets here and just walk to the blue line at the museum.

They only sell so many online tickets to the Anne Frank house...once they are sold out that is it! The lines (without prior ticket purchase) can be long...1 of the workers stated up to 5 hours long.....http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Online-ticket-sales/

Edited by flames9

Since the AF house is rather small only a certain numbers of people are allowed in at the same time. Yes it might be busy inside but never over crowded because of that.

Another reason to buy your tickets in time online to skip the often long lines.

Thanks all!

I am not optimistic about getting Anne Frank tickets - guess I need to wait a few more weeks to give it a try. Once I know if I can get those or Van Gogh tickets I can make a real decision!

And yes, I meant Rembrandt Huis - I think our 11 year old will prefer that to the RijksMuseum.

Michele

I am going next month and had been trying to get tickets on line for The

Anne Frank House for months......no luck.

I don't plan on standing on line for hours so I will be doing other things. I am

a bit disappointed but that is the way things happen sometimes.