Price drop guarantee run around

Jeepenfun

So carnival has a sale going on right now that dropped the price of our cabin category on our April 17th cruise.

When I booked my cruise i picked choose my stateroom and picked an 8D room on Lido deck. There is now currently a sale for my cruise and did a mock booking for same room category and same deck level and apparently there is a resident price break also for residents in Colorado.

I call the 800 number and talk to someone who has a hard time finding the price i'm seeing and says in any case I have to fill out the online price guarantee form and informs me that it is a high chance that I will loose my currently picked room on Lido and I could be place on any deck with a balcony, basically putting me in super saver rate for guarantee balcony room. I told him the rate I'm looking at is for "choose your stateroom" and picked a room category same as the one already have reserved and he said it doesn't matter as they will put me in super saver rate and in guarantee balcony category. What the???

Here is the screen shot I even offered to email him of a mock booking for a 8D room on Lido showing the final price that was lower then what I paid.

0228161826_zpscr0g3627.jpg

So I file a claim for a price drop for the SAME category cabin price drop and they tell me i will loose my currently booked room and be placed in guarantee balcony rate instead?? I thought lowest price guarantee for all rate category's and not just super saver.

I'm not seeing the benefit of this for me. I want to keep the room I have now. I choose it during booking for a reason, I paid for it and I should have the right to keep it even when the rate for my same room category goes down in price.

What rate did you book? Early Saver? If not then you shouldn't be allowed to price match.

I booked when deposits were 50% off and I chose my own room. I have no idea if i was early saver or not. I just know I booked with 50% deposit and I picked my own stateroom room.

I booked when deposits were 50% off and I chose my own room. I have no idea if i was early saver or not. I just know I booked with 50% deposit and I picked my own stateroom room.

Well you need to find out if it's Early Saver or not. Call Carnival and ask or look on your invoice. As I previously said, if you didn't book ES then you don't get price drops after final payment. You may be getting yourself worked up over nothing.

If you are Early Saver (look way at the end of your Confirmation under Guest Notes for words like "Cancellations before final payment will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less $50 pp service fee...") you should be able to price match to any promo rate you're eligible for, including resident rate for your state up to a few days before sailaway.

As a separate issue, If there's an advertised Guarantee rate that you want to match to , Carnival will generally let you give-up your ES assigned cabin and take the guarantee rate and join the guarantee pool.

If there's a lower resident rate offered for your state, sounds like your agent is confused?

Ken

Edited by Ken076

Dont know, I cant see anything on my booking details that say if its early saver or not. At this point i'm not going to chance it for a $46 credit and loose my room i really want on the Lido deck. I picked the room because its rooms above and below me, away from the elevators and stairs so it'll be quiet, front of the ship close to the front observation deck (the secrete place) and its Lido deck, close to the action and food!

I see the same price, however, there are 2 Resident Rates. The representative might be looking at the wrong one.

First OP, you need to pay attention to the post I quoted. Looks like there are two resident rates being offered. You need to point that out when you fill out the form.

Second and actually more important, you need to know what rate you are booked. It means everything when it comes to price matching. Chances are that it's early saver, because those are usually the rates with the reduced deposit promos. But you have to be sure.

For some reason Carnival doesn't display the booking type on their confirmation - the words Early Saver won't appear anywhere - see my post above for the text to look for under Guest Notes. For the future it would still be nice to know - you can always call Carnival and ask.

Are you booked on-line, 800 number or PVP?

I agree - $46 isn't worth chance of losing your LIDO cabin.

Ken

Dont know, I cant see anything on my booking details that say if its early saver or not. At this point i'm not going to chance it for a $46 credit and loose my room i really want on the Lido deck. I picked the room because its rooms above and below me, away from the elevators and stairs so it'll be quiet, front of the ship close to the front observation deck (the secrete place) and its Lido deck, close to the action and food!

It would say this under Guest Notes:

3) Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. If you find a lower cruise rate, based on the total cabin occupancy & not from the booked ancillary services, such as air, transfers, prepaid gratuities, or Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses contact your Travel Agent or http://www.Carnival.com. Price protection does not apply to Super Saver, group rates, membership rates, select promotions, or travel agent promotions. Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered. A $50 fee per guest will be assessed for ship/sail date changes made prior to final payment date.

What I'm trying to say is don't get upset if you aren't ES and can't price match to your same cabin category because that is the only rate that offers price protection after final payment. If that's important to you then book it next time but be prepared to deal with the penalties that go along with it should you need to cancel. This is a good lesson in the different rates.

From what I understand if you do the discounted deposit you are NOT eligible for Early Saver. Your price is locked at your current rate. SORRY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I took advantage of a half price deposit sale around Thanksgiving and booked early saver.

I know if you try to price match to a guarantee rate, you can lose your cabin. That's why I haven't been able to get more than a $20 drop on my cruise so far. However, I will pay a little extra to get a cabin on Lido. It's just more convenient to where we spend our days.

From what I understand if you do the discounted deposit you are NOT eligible for Early Saver. Your price is locked at your current rate. SORRY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not true. In fact as I stated above, most reduced deposit offers are for early saver rates. And you can price match if you find a qualifying drop, you just have to come up with the balance of the deposit if the lower rate requires the full deposit.

When I filled out my price protection form, there was a spot to select yes or no to "include fares where carnival picks your room". I selected no because I did not want a guarantee although it was lower than the rate I was trying to price match to. If you do the form and select that option, carnival shouldn't even look at guarantee rates to match you as. However, you can try to call back to speak to a different rep. I have heard this sometimes helps. Good luck and I hope you get your credit!

From what I understand if you do the discounted deposit you are NOT eligible for Early Saver. Your price is locked at your current rate. SORRY!

Not even close to being true. I have three cruises booked under the reduced deposit sale, and all are Early Saver rates. And I just had a price protection form approved for one of them.

Not even close to being true. I have three cruises booked under the reduced deposit sale, and all are Early Saver rates. And I just had a price protection form approved for one of them.

You better check it if the new fare doesn't include reduced deposit.

They cancel without notification it has been reported numerous times by other cruisers for not making full deposit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk